MA MA - Giovanni Colon-Gonzalez, 5, Lynn, 15 Aug 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lynn's Pine Grove Cemetery targeted in search for missing boy

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/08/26/news/news01.txt

No new news. Haven't heard anything about the dumpster taken by LE. Or if any of the blood found was Giovanni's.

Thanks, Salem, re dogs. It doesn't make sense to take cadaver dogs into a cemetary for a search if they cannot pinpoint Giovanni's scent.

Lynn's Pine Grove Cemetery targeted in search for missing boy

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/08/26/news/news01.txt

No new news. Haven't heard anything about the dumpster taken by LE. Or if any of the blood found was Giovanni's.

Thanks, Salem, re dogs. It doesn't make sense to take cadaver dogs into a cemetary for a search if they cannot pinpoint Giovanni's scent.

Maybe the dogs will alert on a very recently deceased person first and they can rule certain graves out.

I have alot of faith in cadaver dogs.

Lynn Daily Item has a posting forum to discuss local events such as this.
Anybody can join.

Stay connected with The Daily Item and Itemlive.com:
about usnewsroomcirculation
advertisecareerscontact us
Copyright 2008 The Daily Item

Local Weather

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 Search:

Home > News

Lynn and State Police descended on Pine Grove Cemetery at 11:30 a.m. Monday to continue the search for missing Lynn 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez. Item photo / Owen O'RourkeLynn's Pine Grove Cemetery targeted in search for missing boy

By Henry Collins and Thor Jourgensen / The Daily Item

LYNN - Over a dozen State Police and Lynn police tramped up steep slopes and probed underbrush with long poles Monday as the search for missing 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez entered its second week.

The midday search of wooded areas on the Boston Street side of Pine Grove Cemetery involved K-9 cadaver dogs but a member of the State Police search team said the hunt for the boy continues to be a search-and-rescue mission, rather than a recovery mission.

State Police Lt. Elaine Gill said Monday's search was aimed at ruling out all possible locations where Gonzalez could be.

"We are just trying to cover all the bases. When you have a missing child you follow every lead and try to cover a good area," she said.

Gonzalez was reported missing Aug. 17 after his mother, Daisy Colon of East Boston, went to retrieve him from a scheduled visitation at his father's 2 Brightwood Terrace apartment.

The boy's father, Ernesto Gonzalez, 36, said he did not have the boy, despite reports that the two were seen playing ball together on Aug. 16. Gonzalez has refused to cooperate with police and was charged with child endangerment. He is being held on $500,000 cash bail. Last week's search focused on Gonzalez' downtown apartment building and one next to it as well as surrounding streets. Brightwood Terrace runs off Essex Street opposite Washington Street Baptist Church. It is a block away from District Court and the Lynn police station.

Searchers converged midweek on Flax Pond but a neighbors' tip turned out to be a dead animal. By last weekend, police aided by the FBI were stopping motorists downtown and handing them flyers describing Giovanni.

The stops were timed for one week after the boy's disappearance in an effort to jog the memories of drivers who may have driven through the Brightwood Terrace area the Saturday or Sunday before and caught a glimpse of father and son.

Monday's search of Pine Grove centered on a steep slope near the cemetery entrance where searchers probed through piles of trash and junk snagged in the underbrush. Police also searched along the base of a stretch of the cemetery's stonewall.
Even as searchers continue looking for the boy locally, national efforts are underway to find anyone with information about Giovanni. The Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the television show, America's Most Wanted, have added information on Gonzalez and his picture to their website.

Jon Leiberman, New York correspondent for the TV show, said he would know by Wednesday if Giovanni's disappearance is going to be aired on this Saturday's episode. The show is broadcast Saturday's at 9 p.m. on Fox TV channels.

"We've been in touch with law enforcement and we will be able to generate phone and email leads. The bottom line is somebody knows where this child is," Leiberman said.

On Friday, the Item reported that authorities discovered a bloody mop inside Gonzalez' apartment, along with a bottle of pine cleaner with blood on it. Gonzalez had a laceration to his left hand, which he has refused to explain to police.

printable version e-mail this story

Reader Comments

Comments so far on this story:

Feedback Rules

Do not issue threats of any kind.
Do not use profanity or attempt to disguise profanity.
Do not post messages using profane or crude names and identities.
Do not insult someone else's contributions or wit.
Do not disguise or confuse identities by using the names of others.
Comments may not load immediately.

LynnDailyEveningItem

Add Your Comments

REGISTRATION IS FREE.
Registered users sign in here: Become a Registered User
*Member ID:
*Password:
Remember login?
(requires cookies)
Forgot Your Password?

Do not use usernames or passwords from your financial accounts!

Note: Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required!

*Create a Member ID:
*Choose a password:
*Re-enter password:
*E-mail Address:
*Year of Birth:
(children under 13 cannot register)

*Zip Code:

Thanks TK!!! I will be somewhat relieved (no better word) if dad chose to bury him in the cemetery, intact. There is a whole lot of technology out there that will help determine newly turned earth (some was used in the Brooke Bennett case) so I have faith that if he is there he will be found.

Oh My. Small comfort to mom of Giovanni.

Maybe the dogs will alert on a very recently deceased person first and they can rule certain graves out.

I have alot of faith in cadaver dogs.

That does make sense. And perhaps being enclosed in a casket some 6 feet under limits the decomp odor vs. being buried unenclosed in a shallow grave.

I'm still thinking someone may have taken Giovanni. It surely seems like a thorough search is being done by State & local LE and Ernesto didn't seem to have access to a vehicle other than his bike. One would think something other than the blood within the home would have come up by now.

Just curious (as I recently read of this re another child's body being found) do they check out the sewer systems re lift manhole/drainage covers during these searches?

They only way child abuse and neglect will stop is when parents value their children above all else. All parents would have to love and nurture and care for their children. The cycle would have to be broken and it would have to be broken because people want to break it.

It would cost us all tons of our hard earned money in taxes but the only way I see this happening is by making it lucrative to be a good parent. Pay people to take the classes and get the licenses. Reward people for good parenting. Society would have to shun people who refuse to cooperate. It would take many generations but eventually the numbers would change.

Of course, there will always be those who are mentally ill or who refuse to comply but there would be far fewer cases than what we see today.

Think it is possible??

Colomom, you make some valid points!!! I was just ranting in my tyrade above!!! I have been following the Caylee case since almost the beginning. I was in Orlando visiting my sister shortly after the story broke.

I know that my ideas are totally "off the wall"!!! I just blew up!!!

I left my job working with kids after too many reports about abuse not being followed up on, because there were already too many reports in the system. And, yes, so many times people agree to be foster parents for the wrong reasons. They do it to earn a living, ie: with each child they foster, the more money that comes into the home. But then we have situations like the one where the little girl was removed from the adoptive home when the girl was around 4 to be placed with the biological father. So sad!!! IIRC-this father also had a record and history of drug abuse.

Why would anyone want to adopt after reading something like this??? I believe this is why there have been so many international adoptions in recent years. The US Courts always favor biology, when so many times, biology isn't always right.

Anyhow, this is getting WAY OFF TOPIC!!!

Back to Giovanni-- such a cute boy. I have been off for a couple days, but after reading that cadaver dogs have been brought in, I am assuming the blood on the mop was not Ernesto's???

This is where I don't agree with our court system. IMO-a bloody mop (not suspects blood) and a refusal to cooperate= a guilty party. Either produce a CHILD...a live child, a dead one, or go to jail...do not pass go...do not collect $200!!!

Welcome TwanisKelly!

I don't know about the cadaver dogs picking up a "recent" scent versus an older scent. We did some research on cadaver dogs in both the Maddie and Nichoas Garza cases. I'll try to do a search for that info later. My time is a little restricted for the next couple of days.

Salem

Colomom, you make some valid points!!! I was just ranting in my tyrade above!!! I have been following the Caylee case since almost the beginning. I was in Orlando visiting my sister shortly after the story broke.

I know that my ideas are totally "off the wall"!!! I just blew up!!!

~snipped, with love~

Oh yes janiekay, I knew you were expressing the frustration so many of us feel. I tried to be very gentle in my reply so you wouldn't think I was getting on your case. It just sort of spilled out and became quite the post, yes?

I have thought long and hard about this, it's like bouncing my head off a brick wall. So, for you :blowkiss: and much respect, you are a good soul who cares about innocent children, I can tell.

I am also concerned about why there has been no sign of Giovanni. This case is aggravating like Caylee and Maddie with the child seemingly dropping off the face of the earth. Usually LE can find something that leads to the child, dead or alive. It is unusual to have the perp so thoroughly hide a child. But then here are 3 cases....

I pray that all of these cases come to an end, one way or another. There are many people suffering and hurting that should not be, including you janiekay.....

Special prayers for Daisy Colon, I can't imagine what she must be going through.

Caylee Anthony, Giovanni Gonzalez – Same Story – Different Press

http://www..net/117440

The State and local police scoured Pine Grove Cemetary for several hours yesterday, no finds reported.

I am a newbie and this one is right in my backyard literally. If there is anything needed I am local just let me know

Hello All...just had to jump in on this one...

The way that I see it is that as a society we would need to be willing to adopt these kids or we would have to be willing to pay massive taxes to house and raise them. Also we would have to have mandatory sterilization for unfit or unlicensed people of child-bearing age. Can you imagine the lawsuits? Can you imagine the backlash of parents of teenagers sterilized because they got busted smoking pot or getting drunk?

(snipped for length)
Be willing to pay people for being good parents???? IMO That is a given, EVERY child is ENTITLED too.

I do not claim to know the answers but I have a hard time with that idea.

The State and local police scoured Pine Grove Cemetary for several hours yesterday, no finds reported.

I am a newbie and this one is right in my backyard literally. If there is anything needed I am local just let me know

Nice to met you, Lost Angel. So little news on this story. Ernesto had such limited ways to transport Giovanni, alive or dead, one would have thought something more would have been found by now.

Giovanni's mom prays for return

"Colon traveled every day last week from East Boston to Lynn to meet with police. Back pain forces her to walk with a cane and she decided this week to suspend the trips after the pain worsened.
She and Gonzalez separated when Giovanni was 2. They were living on Pattys Way and Gonzalez moved to 3 Light St. Brightwood Terrace neighbor Kim Whitford said Gonzalez moved into 2 Brightwood six months ago."

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/2008/08/27/news/news01.txt

So Ernesto did live for 2 years with Giovanni? If he was abusive to the boy surely it would have been seen during this time yet none is mentioned.

Lynn police scour evidence in disappearance of Giovanni Gonzalez

Police are taking a fresh look at the case of a missing East Boston boy, 10 days after the adorable 5-year-old disappeared following a two-day visit with his father

“It’s an active investigation. They are going through the case systematically and making sure nothing was overlooked and trying to be as thorough as possible . . . as time passes, we become more concerned,” said Lynn Police Lt. William Sharpe.

Police have scaled back on the physical search of the area where Giovanni Gonzalez was staying and have refocused to review evidence gathered during the initial investigation, Sharpe said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1115446&srvc=rss

It breaks my heart how there are more and more of these incidents in the news. I find it terribly sad that Giovanni is not getting anywhere near the amount of media attention that Caylee is. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Anthonys are/were media hungry and what we have in this case is a very hurt and concerned mother who is simply looking for answers, not looking for a circus to deflect attention from where it belongs. I pray that some answers will come to light on this soon.

Giovanni's teacher holding out hope

By Dan Baer / The Daily Item

LYNN - Nancy Celona picks up the paper and watches the news with hope every day, on the verge of tears praying to hear that 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez has been found alive.

The story of the Lynn boy missing since Aug. 16 has really hit home for Celona and the rest of the staff at the now-closed St. Mary's School in East Boston where Giovanni was a student and Celona worked as a computer teacher and classroom aid.

<<<<<<<<<<,full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/08/30/news/news03.txt

'Most Wanted' joins Giovanni search

By Thor Jourgensen / The Daily Item

LYNN - "America's Most Wanted" will flash missing Giovanni Gonzalez' face across television screens nationwide Saturday in hopes of gleaning even the smallest detail about his whereabouts.

The 5-year-old boy missing since Aug. 16/17 will be included in the television program's missing persons segment typically broadcast 35 minutes into the show's Saturday 9 p.m. airing on Fox TV channels.

"We had a huge amount of people to choose from. This one was a no-brainer. We have a missing child. We need information," said Most Wanted correspondent Jon Leiberman Wednesday.

The televised effort to sustain public interest in Gonzalez' disappearance parallels police searches throughout Lynn for the boy. District Attorney's spokesman Steve O'Connell said investigators meet today to decide how to continue searches that, to date, have focused on Flax Pond and Pine Grove Cemetery, among several locations.

"There are several areas investigators are considering searching," O'Connell said.

<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>.

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/08/28/news/news02.txt

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudesgirl