MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if he ever went to Twin Rivers in Lincoln? It's about 15 minutes from Providence and he could have hopped onto route 146 to route 295 and that would have taken him to route 95 North. Literally, just a quick ride.

Where there are signs of a gambling addiction, it wouldn't surprise me. Just thinking out loud.....

Not necessarily. People who lead a double life often are very convincing and can fool many intelligent, professional people as well as those closest to them. Such is the case with a HS teacher, John Kastner, who did this very thing and murdered his wife to avoid the world finding out he was a fraud. Mark Hacking is another one.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080628_11_A1_hTeach853277

That is true. They are very convincing. In this case, some people did notice he was a little off, but they made excuses for him: he's dorky, he's drunk, etc.

What you said in another post about LE checking the school computers: YES, they sure should! I wonder what they might find there.

I guess I'm missing something... Can someone explain why the income level of Markoff, his fiancee and their families are relevant? TIA!

Because it be able to give us some insight into his motivation for committing the crimes. I know that it is to cover gambling debts, but maybe there were less obvious motivations for him to pay off his gambling debt. Maybe he felt pressured to fit in with peers who had more money than he did. There have been reports that he was a bully in high school, maybe he thought having less wealth than his peers at med school would make his weak. Maybe the greater the facade the more he felt he would lose when it all came crumbling down.

Lots of people are concerned about aspects of this crime that seem completely unrelated to paying off gambling debts. How did he go from "I need money fast" to robbing women offering erotic services on Craigslist? Was he at one point robbed by a prostitute? Is this crime more about degrading and having control over women than it is about financial gain? Just because he didn't rape the women does not mean it wasn't about sexual control for him. And the panties? <shivers> How many robbers take souvinears like that? <shivers>

This guy could've been a budding Bundy. We are sooooooooo freeking lucky that they caught him!

I went to the "Phil Markoff Is Innocent Until Proven Guilty" site to see what they would be saying. If anyone else is interested here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=162619985050&ref=search

There are some discussion threads, it seems like most are "shut down" with rationalizations or finger pointing at the press and those that spoke with them.

It was mentioned that they did a 48 Hours on Markoff, wish I would've seen that.

It was also reported that Dr. Phil had been contacting people related to the case:
A lot of people have been contacted by Dr. Phil for this. Tell me, when did Dr. Phil start covering news? I expect that he's going to try to demonize Phil (Markoff) and proclaim that he was always wrong in the head, and that any support for Phil is just going to get shut down. While I won't tell you to ignore them, it's what I advise, for Phil's sake.

I heard on the Today show this morning (I'm sorry I don't have a link) that it's possible that Markoff was trolling for men online also. I'm guessing for the same purpose...to rob them.

Anyone else hear this? It could be what he was trying to tell his brother when he said more was going to come out.

I heard on the Today show this morning (I'm sorry I don't have a link) that it's possible that Markoff was trolling for men online also. I'm guessing for the same purpose...to rob them.

Anyone else hear this? It could be what he was trying to tell his brother when he said more was going to come out.

Yes I heard it too just can't find a link yet!!

If you google "sexaddict53885" you'll find some stuff...

If you google "sexaddict53885" you'll find some stuff...

:eek:
I wonder if the GF knew about THAT side of him...

Hm...at the very end of that Today Show clip, the reporter says the wedding has been cancelled...

I've thought from the beginning that PM has a superiority complex; I think that in his mind, he's "better" than prostitutes and transgender men. Heck, he probably thinks he's better than a whole lot of people. Nothing will convince me that this was just about money. PM has some deep, underlying psychological issues.

He preyed on people that he felt were beneath him. Also ones that wouldn't be likely to file a police report, prostitutes, men who probably cross-dressed in secret, and transvestites.

I agree. There's something really sick about this guy beyond a gambling addiction and robbing for money.

I'm on the road so I can't read, sorry if this was posted previously. About his emails with the Boston man.

:eek: wow I can't even imagine how his fiance feels. And someone is on his account right now... it says he's online.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back