MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9

Last edited by a moderator:

Please continue here.

MOD NOTE:

Members are allowed their opinions, and it can differ from yours. They are allowed to nit-pick the evidence. They are NOT allowed to bicker or argue, or to mock or discuss other members.

From Best Practices - Dealing with your fellow posters:

Our members are always expected to be respectful toward other members. That means no ridiculing, no snarky comments, and no personalizing. If there is a fellow poster whose thoughts you are unable to even read without losing your composure, your "Ignore List" is your friend. When you put a poster on this list, the following will happen:
  • You will not see their posts;
  • They will not be able to send you PMs;
  • They will not be able to send you email vial the Board links;
  • They will not be able to leave you visitor messages.
By all means if someone is violating the TOS use the "Report" link (at the bottom of a post) to let us know. But if you are thinking of sending the staff a PM or email because a certain poster:
  • Will not answer your questions;
  • Will not back up their opinions to your satisfaction;
  • Will not change their mind no matter how obvious things are to everyone else.
Please, consider adding them to your ignore list. NOTE: Do NOT post a message saying you are doing so, that's a TOS violation by you. Put them on the list and be happy.

Members who can't post with the respect Websleuths demands, may be temporarily or permanently banned from replying on the threads relating to this case.

Oh, oh, I almost forgot. What's up with the diminutive name changes? Y'all know we aren't in third grade, right? Too many in the last thread for me to fix, but it's disrespectful and a violation of TOS, so stop, okay?

TIMELINE OF EVENTS IN THE KAREN READ MURDER CASE​

2021​

December 31: O’Keefe and Read fight during a trip to Aruba with friends. The presiding judge will decide during the trial whether to let the jury hear about the fight as “character” evidence.

2022​

JANUARY 28​

• 7:30 p.m. Nicole Albert arrives at Waterfall Bar & Grille to meet relatives for dinner.
  • 9:00 p.m.Jennifer and Matt McCabe arrive at the Waterfall Bar & Grille.
    • Read meets O’Keefe at C.F. McCarthy’s in downtown Canton.
  • 10:00 p.m. Brian Albert arrives at the Waterfall Bar & Grille.
  • 10:54 p.m. Read and O’Keefe arrive at the Waterfall Bar & Grille.

JANUARY 29​

• 12:00 a.m. The Waterfall Bar & Grille closes. The Alberts invite everyone to their house on Fairview Rd.
  • 12:14 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls John O’Keefe to give him directions to the Albert home.
  • 12:15 a.m. Jennifer and Matthew McCabe and Ryan Nagel say they see Read’s car outside the home.
  • 12:27 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Here?!”
  • 12:29 a.m. O’Keefe answers a call from Jennifer McCabe.
  • 12:30 a.m. Witnesses say Colin Albert leaves the Albert residence.
  • 12:31 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O”Keefe: “Pull behind me”
  • 12:40 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”
  • 12:42 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Where are u”
  • 12:45 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”
  • 1:30 a.m. The McCabes leave the Albert residence with Julie Nagel and another friend of Brian Albert, Jr. and drop off the women home before returning to their home.
  • Between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. According to testimony, Caitlin Albert leaves the Albert home for the night.
  • 2:27 a.m. Jennifer McCabe used her phone to Google “how long to die in cold,” according to the defense.
  • 4:53 a.m. Read calls Jennifer McCabe using O’Keefe’s niece’s phone looking for O’Keefe. Read also calls O’Keefe’s friend, Kerry Roberts.
  • 5:00 a.m. Julie Albert told investigators she missed a call from Jennifer McCabe at this time but that it was through the call she learned that O’Keefe was dead. She later told a grand jury she learned he was dead.
  • 5:07 a.m. O’Keefe’s driveway camera shows Read’s car backing out of the driveway. Read meets Jennifer McCabe and Roberts at McCabe’s house. Roberts drives Read and Jennifer McCabe to the Albert residence.
  • 6:00 a.m. Read, Jennifer McCabe and Roberts arrive at the Albert residence.
  • 6:04 a.m. Read calls 911. Canton Police Officers Saraf and Mullaney arrive within minutes, followed by emergency services.
  • 6:07 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls Nicole Albert twice.
  • 6:23 a.m.Jennifer McCabe calls Brian Albert.
    • Jennifer McCabe used her phone to search Google for “how long to die in the cold,” according to state police and the Commonwealth.
  • 6:24 a.m. Sgt. Michael Lank arrives.
  • 7:59 a.m. O’Keefe is pronounced dead at Good Samaritan Hospital.
  • 8:30 a.m. Julie Albert tells a grand jury she arrived at Fairview Rd residence at this time to drop off a birthday dessert for Brian Jr. and learns that O’Keefe is dead.
  • 9:00 a.m. Jennifer McCabe calls Sgt. Lank and asks him to return to the Fairview Rd residence so she can add information to her statement. Lank returned, and McCabe tells him she recalls Read saying, “I hope I didn’t hit him,” while she was driving around with Roberts looking for O’Keefe.
  • 9:08 a.m. Read’s blood is drawn at the hospital and shows an ethanol reading of 93mg/dl. A forensic toxicologist later opines the reading suggests her BAC that morning was .07-.08% and anywhere from .13-.29% around 12:45 a.m.
  • 11:00 a.m. Massachusetts State Police Trooper Michael Proctor and Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik arrived at the Fairview Rd residence and interviewed witnesses.
  • 4:30 p.m. Trooper Proctor and Sgt. Bukhenik interview Read in her parents’ home. Her car is impounded.
  • 5:30 p.m. The Massachusetts State Police Special Emergency Response Team arrives at the scene and collects two red plastic taillight pieces, one clear plastic tail light, and a Nike shoe matching the one O’Keefe was wearing.
Timeline continues at link...

According to the 911 call, JOK's body was turned over.

JOK’s was found with his phone and glass pieces under his body.

If, JKO was carried out from 34F to the front yard, why would JKO be put on his stomach rather than on his back?

Do some think that … after he allegedly got beat up, JOK walked out of 34F to the front yard, or culprits (allegedly) did not want to look at him, so put him face down?

Or is that how he fell after being hit by a 7 thousand pound vehicle?

idk -- moo

Waiting patiently for the ME’s findings

Kerry Roberts testified that he was on his back.

Just in case anyone was wondering hos long to die in cold...

Hypothermia can develop in as little as five minutes in temperatures of minus -50°F/-45.5°C in people who are not dressed properly and have exposed skin. At -30°F/-34.4°C, hypothermia can occur in about 10 minutes.
Hypothermia can lead to death in under an hour in extremely cold conditions.

So far, it has been firmly established by a great deal of evidence that:

1. The lead investigator was overly eager to rush to certain conclusions, and that his eagerness to rush to those conclusions was motivated by an intense personal hatred for the defendant.

2. There are alternative suspects who should have been investigated, but weren't investigated, despite those alternative suspects living nearby.

3. The defendant was hysterical and intensely distraught after JO's body was discovered. (This contradicts the idea of an intentional killing)

Last edited:
Live updates:

• 4:35 p.m. Judge says she will decide over the weekend whether Trooper Paul can testify about the taillight damage.
  • 4:01 p.m. Paul says the damage to Read's taillight is not consistent with a low-speed collision with O'Keefe's vehicle. Paul says the vehicles' bumpers would have made contact instead of the taillights.
  • 3:55 p.m. Judge dismisses the jury for the day but continues with a voir dire hearing about the Ring camera video. Trooper Paul testifies that he does not see any snow fall from O'Keefe's vehicle when they come close or in contact.
  • 3:42 p.m. Lally wants to show Trooper Paul the Ring camera video of Read's SUV backing up in his driveway, when it comes close to or in contact with O'Keefe's car. Jackson objects. Sidebar.
  • 3:05 p.m. Paul says O'Keefe was thrown forward, then spun counter clockwise and fell backwards and hit his head.
  • 3 p.m. Paul says O'Keefe's injuries were also consistent with being hit by a vehicle.
  • 3 p.m. Paul says chart shows Read's vehicle travelled just over 97 feet in reverse. Says this data is "consistent with a pedestrian strike."
  • 2:30 p.m. Trooper Paul shows data from Read's Lexus SUV.
  • 1:50 p.m. Testimony resumes with Trooper Paul after lunch break.
  • 12:35 p.m. Trooper Paul points out that Fairview Rd is a double-laned road with a rounded curb on the side where the former Albert home is located and a sidewalk on the opposite side.
  • 12:30 p.m. The courtroom camera has been turned back on. Testimony resumes with Trooper Joe Paul, an crash reconstructionist who says he has investigated 196 crashes including about 55 involving pedestrians.
  • 12 p.m. David Yannetti begins cross-examination of Hyde. Asks if it's possible that the google search could have been done at 2:27am. Hyde says no indication of a Google search at that time.
  • 11:45 a.m. This backs up Jen McCabe's testimony that she used her phone to look up basketball info in the middle of the night, then used it after O'Keefe was found - at Read's request - to search for info about hypothermia.
  • 11:40 a.m. Hyde's bottom line: Search for sports was done at 2:27am and search for "hos long to die in cold" was done at 6:23am and 6:24am. She says no evidence of any purposeful deletions.
  • 11:07 a.m. Hyde says another search was initiated at 6:22:49am for info about how long to die in the cold. Then another at 6:23:51am.
  • 11:05 a.m. Hyde says she found a search for "hos long to die in cold" with timestamp at 2:27am. But says that timestamp "is not the time necessarily of this search." Says there's a high likelihood that the timestamp applies to when tab was opened for another sports-related search.
  • 10:55 a.m. Hyde says one of the tools found the phrase "hos long to die in cold."
  • 10:50 a.m. Hyde says she used one of the tools to focus on Safari history for the date 1/29/22.
  • 10:45 a.m. Hyde says she analyzed data from Jen McCabe's phone using multiple tools.
  • 10:35 a.m. Next prosecution witness: Jessica Hyde, owner of a digital forensics company called Hexordia.
  • 10:30 a.m. Judge notes that the juror is missing. Says the reasons is "personal" to that juror. Says they others should not consider it.
  • 10:16 a.m. The juror holds up her hand as if to have good-bye and exits the courtroom.
  • 10:15 a.m. Now the first juror is back for a third third trip to the bench.
  • 10:10 a.m. Now another one of the previously questioned jurors is back at sidebar for less than a minute and leaves again. I think she was the third one.
  • 10:05 a.m. Now the original juror who was brought in this morning has been brought back. She's back at the bench talking with judge and attorneys.
  • 9:57 a.m. Now a FOURTH juror has been brought in for private questioning by the judge.
  • 9:55 a.m. Now a THIRD juror has entered the courtroom and is speaking with the judge at sidebar. The juror is laughing and seems at ease. All three jurors brought in so far are women.
  • 9:50 a.m. Reminder: a male juror was dismissed earlier this week for "personal" reasons. There are currently 16 jurors on the panel.
  • 9:45 a.m. Now a different juror has been brought in for a private conversation with the judge and attorneys at sidebar. This is NOT the same juror as the one brought in earlier.
  • 9:35 a.m. Judge returns to the bench and calls attorney to sidebar. The courtroom camera is still off.
  • 9:20 a.m. The judge orders the courtroom camera turned off. The juror exits and the judge orders a recess. It's not yet clear why the juror was brought in. Nor if she is being dismissed.
  • 9:10 a.m. The judge enters and calls the attorneys to a sidebar. Then they bring in one of the jurors and are now speaking to her privately. The other jurors are absent.
  • Good morning. Day 25 of testimony. On Thursday, Lt. Brian Tully testified Read would have had enough time to return to house where she'd allegedly left John O'Keefe in the snow before going to ask for help to find him.

It has been firmly established by a great deal of evidence that:

1. The lead investigator was overly eager to rush to certain conclusions, and that his eagerness to rush to those conclusions was motivated by an intense personal hatred for the defendant...
Had Proctor actually met KR prior to the investigation starting?

Based on Trooper Paul’s testimony on JOK’s body’s movements after being struck by KR’s vehicle, how did his phone manage to stay in his pocket? Shouldn’t it have flung away somewhere instead of staying on his person?

Maybe I have missed this, where was cap found in reference to the curb and JOK? I would expect it to be close to the curb based on Trooper Tully’s testimony that JOK sadly struck his head on it?

If JOK was still wearing the cap when he struck the curb or it fell off near it, did forensics find on the cap any debris or material from it?

I was under the impression that since polycarbonate plastic was so impact-resistant, it more likely to shatter, scratch or crack than break off, particularly if weakened by exposure to substances, like those used for cleaning cars or oil. I also thought that it took heat break in order to manipulate polycarbonate to become more breakable. Along this line of thinking, even if a large piece of KR’s taillight had broken off, why would it shatter and break into even more pieces after it had fallen off?

Last edited:
There was no mention of who placed JOK on his back in my post. moo :)

• McCabe called 911 and Roberts asked her to alternate chest compressions. First responders arrived on the scene a few minutes later. A paramedic asked for O’Keefe’s information, McCabe said Read stated, “I hit him, I hit him, I hit him.” “She said it 3 times, it was crystal clear.”

Last edited:
Just in case anyone was wondering hos long to die in cold...

Hypothermia can develop in as little as five minutes in temperatures of minus -50°F/-45.5°C in people who are not dressed properly and have exposed skin. At -30°F/-34.4°C, hypothermia can occur in about 10 minutes.
Hypothermia can lead to death in under an hour in extremely cold conditions.
So Jen googled this more than once, did she ever click on a link the search returned?

Based on Trooper Paul’s testimony on JOK’s body’s movements after being struck by KR’s vehicle, how did his phone manage to stay in his pocket? Shouldn’t it have flung away somewhere instead of staying on his person?

Maybe I have missed this, where was cap found in reference to the curb and JOK? I would expect it to be close to the curb based on Trooper Tully’s testimony that JOK sadly struck his head on it?

If JOK was still wearing the cap when he struck the curb or it fell off near it, did forensics find on the cap any debris or material from it?

I was under the impression that since polycarbonate plastic was so impact-resistant, it more likely to shatter, scratch or crack than break off, particularly if weakened by exposure to substances, like those used for cleaning cars or oil. I also thought that it took heat break in order to manipulate polycarbonate to become more breakable. Along this line of thinking, even if a large piece of KR’s taillight had broken off, why would it shatter and break into even more pieces after it had fallen off?

Trooper Paul is at least bias , and has possibly perjured himself.

*witnesses may be impeached
*with evidence that shows a defect in his or her perception, memory, or truthfulness,
such as
*evidence of bias,
*mistake,
character for untruthfulness?,
or prior inconsistent statements?

The judge backs him up by saying she did not see the car move. Is a judge even allowed to do that?

Need a legal opinion here. Thanks

Are you talking about my post? All I said was JM made the 911 call where you reported that the 911 caller said he was on his back. I don't see how I misconstrued anything?
No, not at all. Thank you for your response. I notice there are many different news stories reporting different information. I've also seen it reported that KerR called 911.

Linked above that JMcC called 911.

I've seen Court TV report erroneous info. There are so many factors/moving parts to this case, it's going to be misreported, unfortunately. That's a given. moo

Agreed there is a lot of misreporting out there. I have been disappointed in CTV because I had higher expectations from them.

The problem is we have heard so very little real evidence from the CW to set us straight, thus all these questions keep coming up. Even with their one decent witness Friday, Ms. Hyde, she was so severely limited in her scope that we still have more questions than answers.

Very frustrating this far into a trial!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member