MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's playing to the public and her supporters (who donate a LOT of money to her legal fees). Karen wants to tell her story but defers to her lawyers. It's ultimately up to her and if she wants to tell the story then get on up there and tell it. No one is stopping her.

Presumably people are donating the money to her because they think she's innocent. I'm sure they would support whatever legal strategy is the most likely to get her a not guilty verdict.

If her supporters really want to know her story, they can read her book after she's exonerated.

Presumably people are donating the money to her because they think she's innocent. I'm sure they would support whatever legal strategy is the most likely to get her a not guilty verdict.

If they really want to know her story, they can read her book after she's exonerated.

Plus, I don't really care how much she wants to get up there and tell her story. If her lawyers tell her it's not a good idea, I would defer to them. They're pretty good attorneys. JMO

Here's a blast from the past: After the Feds released 3000 pages of evidence to both sides in late February, the prosecutors claimed it supported their case.

The prosecution said it has reviewed all the evidence from the feds and Assistant D.A. Laura McLaughlin disputed the defense’s interpretation of it.

“I would say approximately 90% to 95% of the material that we’ve received is consistent with the Commonwealth’s theory of the case,” McLaughlin said in court. “The evidence, as a whole, is very consistent with prior statements made by witnesses.”

I think we can now safely say that they were being disingenuous at best. Maybe it's true that 90% of the pages released were things the commonwealth already knew, but the remaining 10% were explosive. From Proctor's texts to the suspicious activity of Brian Higgins to the reports of the accident reconstruction experts, the Fed evidence has blown a giant hole in the case against Karen Read.

Here's a blast from the past: After the Feds released 3000 pages of evidence to both sides in late February, the prosecutors claimed it supported their case.

The prosecution said it has reviewed all the evidence from the feds and Assistant D.A. Laura McLaughlin disputed the defense’s interpretation of it.

“I would say approximately 90% to 95% of the material that we’ve received is consistent with the Commonwealth’s theory of the case,” McLaughlin said in court. “The evidence, as a whole, is very consistent with prior statements made by witnesses.”

I think we can now safely say that they were being disingenuous at best. Maybe it's true that 90% of the pages released were things the commonwealth already knew, but the remaining 10% were explosive. From Proctor's texts to the suspicious activity of Brian Higgins to the reports of the accident reconstruction experts, the Fed evidence has blown a giant hole in the case against Karen Read.

I guess, if 90% of the case is that JOK died. JMO

In response to questions from Elizabeth Little, one of Read’s lawyers, Albert said her German Shepherd, Chloe, had incidents of biting other dogs. In one May 2022 incident, Chloe had escaped the Alberts’ backyard and was in an altercation with another dog. Two women were injured separating the dogs.
I'm still looking for a link, that's not behind a paywall for me, saying Chloe was a former police dog.

Boston born and raised (go Celtics).

They haven’t used the terminology “other case,” to my knowledge in KR’s trial. And jurors are instructed to avoid the news and are screened for any preexisting knowledge during jury selection.

Not interested in arguing tbh - just my opinion that jurors will not automatically jump to that conclusion.
They’ve frequently used the phrase “other proceeding where (we) were not there”. Used by both defense and CW.

Ryan Nagle also mentioned the Feds in his testimony.

Are there photos or descriptions of the head injury already available to us?
The portion of the injuries to JOK's arm that intrigue me are the deep scratches to the underside of the bicep. These obviously represent relative motion and parts on a car pretty much move horizontally. CW has attributed those to the tail light lens, but I can't quite create a scenario where cuts tapering like that, in that location and in that direction, could be caused by impact from a moving car. . If he was on his knees, leaning hard to the left, with hand raised to his head, the bumper would have hit something else as well...and I still can't support contact and motion from that angle.
And the only damage to his shirt was 9 small puncture wounds. Not compatible with tail light injuries at all.

My family trained guide dogs for the blind as I was growing up. Every year the centre held a family day with police officers and their dogs, showing exactly how they go for the arm.

Was Chloe just a pet?
Yes, she was adopted from Texas. I've had GSD's and Malinois my whole adult life and they are always protective. It's in their DNA. They will jump at someone they feel is a threat but people always put out their dominant arm for protection and that's where the dog goes because they see that arm moving up for defense. We've owned several generations sadly, because dogs don't live long enough, roughly 15 years.

My family member started fostering a German shepherd recently. He’s a good boy, just young, excited and full of energy. My son was playing with his uncle and the dog jumped up to join and left pretty good marks on him. So I can only imagine what Chloe would do, because we know she had a history of attack(s?) which are obviously much more damaging.

And as a trained police dog, she will aggressively (as she should) protect her handler (insert owner other) ).

Especially since their expert today basically said that they determined his manner of death, but he wouldn't comment on that?
I took this to mean he wouldn’t get into those specifics today, not that he wouldn’t testify in front of the jury about their conclusions. I wasn’t paying close attention though. Was it said that he won’t be testifying as to the conclusions they arrived at?

Ok, so let’s go with 90-95%… that 5-10% is what we call… REASONABLE DOUBT.

I disagree. Why is she a clinger? Because she tried to have a conversation about something that was bothering her? MOO
When someone respectfully asks you to stop .
You stop.

Unless your unhinged and in a blind rage.

<modsnip>

Either way Karens behaviour that day fits perfectly with her being emotionally at her wits end with him.
And I get that.
I can see her desperation in the predicament she found herself.

moo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members