MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BienickWCVB

Both children maintained composure throughout their testimonies. Jurors seemed to be listening intently, but taking few notes. Read showed no emotion. A few times, she jotted down notes and passed them to her attorneys. Afterwards, Read smiled at her family.

During cross-examination of the boy, defense attorney David Yannetti hunched over the lectern and seemed pained to ask questions. He concluded by saying, "I'm so sorry you were made to be here." The judge struck his comment from the record.

@SueNBCBoston

Dr Rice is certifying the medical reports Lally has given him.
Judge allows Lally’s request for him to keep his notes.
Defense asks to review.
Side bar request from defense

12:09 PM · May 28, 2024

Lally establishing what time OKeefe arrived at the hospital.
Rice says OKeefe was unresponsive & intubated.
Detailing CPR efforts.
Lally asking Rice to describe what cardiac arrest is for the jury

12:13 PM · May 28, 2024

Now slowly describing perfusion to the jury.

12:14 PM · May 28, 2024

And astolic.
This is a very slow testimony, with medical terms, but all the jurors are paying attention.

12:17 PM · May 28, 2024

@FallRiverReport

Lally asked a question and the witness did not understand what he was asking. John was in cardiac arrest when he arrived.

12:14 PM · May 28, 2024

Once again, Lally has asked a question that the doctor can not understand. That is the second time in the past ten minutes of questioning that has happened. His questions are not clear, even for one of the most educated people in the room.

12:17 PM · May 28, 2024

@JHall7news

Witness 46 in the #karenread trial is the ER doc who was on duty at Good Samaritan Hospital in Brockton that morning on 1-29-22. Dr. Justin Rice is testifying about cardiac arrest/hypothermia. Victim temp was 88 when he was brought in by ambulance. 10+ degrees below normal

1716913271120.png

12:20 PM · May 28, 2024

@SueNBCBoston

There’s one juror who really pays attention when very technical testimony is given.

12:18 PM · May 28, 2024

A couple of jurors are actively nodding their heads up and down while Dr Rice explains the steps taken and options to treat OKeefe.

12:19 PM · May 28, 2024

Talking about hypothermia now.Dr Rice speaking in laymen’s terms now and addressing the jury directly

12:20 PM · May 28, 2024

80 degrees qualifies as hypothermia. That was OKeefe’s core body temp. Now Dr Rice describing how they tried to warm OKeefe

12:21 PM · May 28, 2024

Quick copy over of some of my handwritten notes from the testimony of 2 minor children

MINOR 1 (M1) teen boy

-M1 says he witnessed “lots of disagreements and arguments”
-M1 on KR “she was nice sometimes, most of the time”
-M1: ADA Lally asks how KR would act if she was upset, M1 “being ignored, not looking at you”
-M1 says JO and KR argued on FL trip and Aruba trip
-M1 says on the morning of 1/23 when KR came to JO’s house “she looked sad” and was “crying”

M1 asked about screen on KR’s Lexus: “I assume a back-up camera”
-M1 confirms for David Yannetti (DY) that he never saw JO or KR raise a hand to each other in anger

DY says to M1: “I’m so sorry you were made to come here today”

MINOR 2 Teen Girl

-M2 asked about JO and KR’s relationship: “good at the beginning but it was bad at the end”
-M2 remembers fight in Aruba and “yelling in the room”
-Lally asks M2 if KR had access to computer in upstairs room.
M2: “I don’t think the defendant had an account on the computer, but she could go in the room”
-At 4:30 am on 1/29, M2 says “The defendant woke me up at 4:30 in the morning”
-M2 said KR asked her to call Jen McCabe and others. During one call M2 says KR said: “Maybe I had hit him, did I hit him?”

-That morning M2 says KR seemed like she “was on edge” and “I have never seen her that frantic, she was like pacing around”

-Jennifer McCabe “presented to me as relaxed”
-M2 says garage wouldn’t close that morning
-M2 said KR came back to JO’s house after leaving hospital and at some point went upstairs
-M2 said she never saw or spoke to KR after that.
-M2 said KR said, “she felt like she was living in a nightmare and left”
-Defense Attorney Yannetti (DY) said M2 did not mention KR’s “Maybe I had hit him, did I hit him?” statement during 2/2/22 interview at DA’s Office.

DY asks M2 about her conversations with Jennifer McCabe
M2 knows Jennifer McCabe through her daughter and sports teams JM coached.
M2 told DY Jennifer McCabe has not asked her about her testimony.
M2 says neither KR or JO ever raised a hand in anger

Last edited:
@SueNBCBoston

Dr Rice is reading the medical report, says there were abrasions.
Says that means “scratches”

Now talking about Karen Read.
Lally presents Dr Rice with a document. Identifies it as her medical record.

Read arrived at hospital about 7:51 am. She arrived for a Section 12, involuntary hospitalization for a mental health concern. Dr Rice listing the reasons one might be considered for Sec 12

@FallRiverReport

Lally has begun to ask Rice about Karen at the hospital that morning. He is asking him to explain what a Section 12 is, which is an involuntary hold of a patient often regarding a mental health concern.

12:32 PM · May 28, 2024

LALLY ASKED ANOTHER QUESTION THAT THE DOCTOR DOES NOT UNDERSTAND.

12:33 PM · May 28, 2024

In the #karenread trial - two children have completed their testimony. They are the neice and nephew of the victim. They testified about a deteriorating relationship between O'Keefe and Read. Both told the jury "JJ" as they called him had asked Karen to leave the house.

The boy and girl (Judge has ruled they should not be identified) testified they heard frequent fights but saw no physical altercations. They referred to K Read, who they said could be nice to them at times and mad at them at others, as "the defendant.”

They are witnesses 43 and 44 in the trial. They did fine and were strong. One member of the O'Keefe family expressed relief to me their time on the stand is over. They were cross examined By Yannetti, but lightly.

After questioning the boy briefly Yannetti said "I'm so sorry you had to come here." ADA Lally objected and the Judge ruled that comment should be stricken from the record. But he made his point to jurors.

The neice - who's older - testified as to their relationship: "it was good at the beginning but it was bad at the end." Both heard the big argument over a perceived kiss in Aruba. They had adjoining rooms and the argument made its way into their hotel room.

Neice also testified she was awaked by Read on 1-29-22 when O'Keefe was missing. She said she overheard Read on the phone calling people and early on Read would say they argued the previous evening - and said what if I hit him?" But that changed in later conversations.

Neice said she had Jen McCabe's number in her phone and she called JM and handed the phone over to Read. She also tried to text Uncle JJ with no response.

@JHall7news

@BienickWCVB

Rice says O'Keefe was unresponsive and was in cardiac arrest when he arrived. EMTs were doing CPR.

Rice says O'Keefe's body temperature was 80.1F. ER staff tried to warm him with a "bear hugger," a blanket filled with warm air. They tried to resuscitate O'Keefe for about 1/2 hour before he was pronounced dead at 7:50am.

Rice says O'Keefe had cut and bruise above the right eye, no pulse, "superficial abrasions" on the right forearm.

12:28 PM · May 28, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member