Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is weird and concerning.....is there any data base besides Namus where these UID's are listed?

It’s tough to figure out who has DNA and where sometimes. Even in NamUs a lot of missings don’t have dna on file but it’s available for comparison to a family member if they have a something to compare it to. If that makes sense.. and please feel free to correct me because i would like to know more

This is weird and concerning.....is there any data base besides Namus where these UID's are listed?

It’s tough to figure out who has DNA and where sometimes. Even in NamUs a lot of missings don’t have dna on file but it’s available for comparison to a family member if they have a something to compare it to. If that makes sense.. and please feel free to correct me because i would like to know more

Sorry, if I have created confusing. :confused: I'm going to explain.

Upthread you said "all of New England combined has about 30 unidentified remains, compared to MA’s 186".

At this day there are 293 UID's profiles entered in Namus for New England as a total. I included MA, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hamphire and Connecticut. I'm from abroad, so I'm depending on Wiki here. MA is counting 189 profiles at the moment. So minus MA there are 104 UID's entered for the other states, belonging to New England.

My line of thinking related to my question about other databases was:
MA has 189 unidentified persons entered in Namus. I believe they are pretty up to date, but what if there are more unidentified persons found in MA, then the ones entered in Namus. Where could the public find them or even know they exist. Are there other databases in use? The same thing applies for the other states.

Charley Project doesn't list unidentified persons, only missing persons.

All and all this is not going to help in identifying the lady in the dunes. So let's move on :)

Upthread you said "all of New England combined has about 30 unidentified remains, compared to MA’s 186".

At this day there are 293 UID's profiles entered in Namus for New England as a total. I included MA, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hamphire and Connecticut. I'm from abroad, so I'm depending on Wiki here. MA is counting 189 profiles at the moment. So minus MA there are 104 UID's entered for the other states, belonging to New England.

MA has 189 unidentified persons entered in Namus. I believe they are pretty up to date, but what if there are more unidentified persons found in MA, then the ones entered in Namus. Where could the public find them or even know they exist. Are there other databases in use? The same thing applies for the other states.

All and all this is not going to help in identifying the lady in the dunes. So let's move on :)
I think it’s helpful to know how things work to try and make more appropriate matches

So has Charlotte Erdman been ruled out as the lady in the dunes? She was only reported missing in 2019 in the middle of a pandemic so I doubt it.

This is very strange, surreal, to see this story as I was in Cape Cod the week it broke. We used to go slide the dunes on cardboard, but never went again after she was found.
They say that they don’t think it’s related to the man in the dunes case but how many people do they think are leaving torsos on cape cod? Man in the dunes is still UID as well. That was in 2011 I believe

Charlotte Erdman is a good possible match for the lady in the dunes. There is no DNA on file for Charlotte but it said it could be made available. She was reported missing in 2019 so I’m sure nothing has happened. I emailed about a possible match to the detective in providence town. Awaiting a reply

The lady in the dunes was not a local. No one knew who she was and we had no missing persons who matched her description. Meaning the obvious conclusion is that she is not from MA. This was a big deal at the time, if she was local she would have been ID’d a long time ago.

Last edited:
Charlotte Erdman is a good possible match for the lady in the dunes. There is no DNA on file for Charlotte but it said it could be made available. She was reported missing in 2019 so I’m sure nothing has happened. I emailed about a possible match to the detective in providence town. Awaiting a reply

Charlotte was 15 when she went missing on July 18, 1974. "The lady in the dunes" was found on July 26, 1974 and was estimated to be between 27 - 49 years. I don't think the age estimate would be that far off.

Charlotte was 15 when she went missing on July 18, 1974. "The lady in the dunes" was found on July 26, 1974 and was estimated to be between 27 - 49 years. I don't think the age estimate would be that far off.
Estimated age was 20-49, dob estimated 1925-1954. Charlotte was 15 (10/21/58). There isn’t that much of a difference between a 15 and a 20 year old female biologically. Autopsy is not an exact science and there are always some subjective determinations made.

Estimated age was 20-49, dob estimated 1925-1954. Charlotte was 15 (10/21/58). There isn’t that much of a difference between a 15 and a 20 year old female biologically. Autopsy is not an exact science and there are always some subjective determinations made.

That's true, but there are some indicators of age that are more precise--wisdom teeth, for instance. Is there wear on the rest of the teeth? Have the growth plates in the long bones finished fusing? What about the sutures in the skull?

It's distantly possible that a 15-year-old would be mistaken for a few years older, but not very likely.

That's true, but there are some indicators of age that are more precise--wisdom teeth, for instance. Is there wear on the rest of the teeth? Have the growth plates in the long bones finished fusing? What about the sutures in the skull?

It's distantly possible that a 15-year-old would be mistaken for a few years older, but not very likely.
Under normal circumstances, I would agree but She was in the dunes in the middle of july for an estimated week or two and she suffered severe facial trauma as well. Estimating that a 15 year old is well into their 20's is hardly a stretch

Under normal circumstances, I would agree but She was in the dunes in the middle of july for an estimated week or two and she suffered severe facial trauma as well. Estimating that a 15 year old is well into their 20's is hardly a stretch

Most of the indicators I was talking about are skeletal and dental. They can be detected in even very old bones. The postmortem interval wouldn't have affected them. The traumas might make it a little harder, but unless her facewas completely obliterated, most of the dental markers should still have been observable.

Most of the indicators I was talking about are skeletal and dental. They can be detected in even very old bones. The postmortem interval wouldn't have affected them. The traumas might make it a little harder, but unless her facewas completely obliterated, most of the dental markers should still have been observable.
I think one side of her head was crushed with a military entrenching tool. Her dentals were still good though. I just prefer broad strokes when it comes to age. Depending on the ME and the county, even the paperwork can vary. Some might have checked boxes with pre-determined age ranges. Some might let them write it in, or there may be something in the narrative that leads you to believe the person is either in the older or younger end of that age range. Assessment can often be subjective which is why I think reading the actual physician notes is always helpful for me.

Is there a rule out list?

There are only 7 names on the NamUs rule out list but I believe many more women have been looked at. Rory Kesinger used to be on the list. She isn't anymore and that's strange since she was ruled out by DNA.

"As Kesinger resembled what had been left of the victim, a test using the DNA of her mother and the corpse was conducted. No match."
http://legalnews.com/detroit/1454244

https://unidentified.wikia.org/wiki/Rory_Kesinger

So if Rory isn't on the list, how many other women aren't on there? How many may have been ruled out by non-biometric data and, as such, would not be on the publicly viewable list?

NamUs link as source for R/O List
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Can't get the export to work on NamUs. See attached.

Attachments

• LOTD Rule outs.JPG
    LOTD Rule outs.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
There are only 7 names on the NamUs rule out list but I believe many more women have been looked at. Rory Kesinger used to be on the list. She isn't anymore and that's strange since she was ruled out by DNA.

"As Kesinger resembled what had been left of the victim, a test using the DNA of her mother and the corpse was conducted. No match."
http://legalnews.com/detroit/1454244

https://unidentified.wikia.org/wiki/Rory_Kesinger

So if Rory isn't on the list, how many other women aren't on there? How many may have been ruled out by non-biometric data and, as such, would not be on the publicly viewable list?

NamUs link as source for R/O List
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Can't get the export to work on NamUs. See attached.
Im wondering the same thing. How accurate are those cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back