MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this. Heart in throat. Tears. Mixed emotions.

One thing I am sure is that LE has worked their collective butts off in this case.

Wow. Standing by...

Suspect Arrested In Connection To Vanessa Marcotte Murder Case

[video=twitter;853315377081851904]https://twitter.com/nytrb/status/853315377081851904[/video]

Sounds like they said his name is AngelO, not Angel? Anyone else catch that?

DNA Results - Odds that the DNA sampled is the DNA of someone else other than Angelo Ortiz is 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000, according to the Wocester DA.

Here is some info for those not watching:

I am typing in order, so it's scattered.

Thanking LE...MA state police detectives, town of Princeton, etc.....spent endless hours on investigation...

There is no murder charge YET - DNA came in yesterday afternoon. But - wholly anticipate murder charge.

We don't know if he is US citizen...no statement.

Arrest - Ortiz not resistant, they stopped at his house, brought in for questioning, it went smoothly, Has asked for atty.

Believe he worked in the area around the time when Vanessa's life was so sickly seized (my words!), and had been working in the area for a while.

How he was found - (A member of LE in Worcester was out driving and spotted Hispanic man of the age and with a dark SUV ...wrote the license plate on his hand.)

Early said:

" MA State Trooper ...out driving in Worcester...saw someone who might resemble the killer's profile...grabbed for piece of paper...instead wrote license plate on his hand..."

It appears that the man has no documented history with LE.

"This has been a roller coaster - left family at 5:00 AM this morning - family has been tremendous...hearts go out to the family..."

Much info will not yet be released.

They used interpreter last night. He speaks some English.

LE still doing their jobs. Very, very comfortable that they have Vanessa's killer.

Please correct me if wrong with any info here.

Again, like Karina Vetrano case, seems like this was good old police work...)

Will update all day.

HTH.

"He had been working in the area for some time."

So, it was not a local which we all agreed upon once they announced he was Hispanic. The killer drove a dark SUV.

Killer had an interpreter and asked for an attorney.

RIP Vanessa :rose:

All comments made by Joseph Early.

Recognizing superb work of all of the detectives....never stopped working or thinking of Vanessa. Never lost faith. Still so much work to do to prepare for prosecution. Loss can never be restored.

Seems like Angelo? Ortiz.

This is such a relief, and at least justice will reach this evil man. But so senseless, so heartbreaking he did this! Grateful to the members of this group during the long wait, and very grateful to the quick-witted astute trooper!

Name released as Angelo Colon Ortiz. Early said they would spell during statement, but this did not happen (from what I heard anyhow...)

WBZ NewsRadio‏Verified account @wbznewsradio 9m9 minutes ago

After noticing that dark #SUV, the @MassStatePolice trooper wrote the tags on his hand, lacking paper, followed up later. #vanessamarcotte

WBZ NewsRadio‏Verified account @wbznewsradio 7m7 minutes ago

@worcesterda says the suspect voluntarily gave a #DNA swab. #vanessamarcotte

WBZ NewsRadio‏Verified account @wbznewsradio 3m3 minutes ago

#correction The suspect in the #vanessamarcotte case’s name is spelled Angelo Colon-Ortiz.

https://twitter.com/wbznewsradio

Thanks Epiphany and Compassionate. I had a hard time discerning whether a citizen spotted a possible suspect, or member of LE.

Suspect was spotted by a member of LE in Worcester.

Sorry - missed this.

Early started the conference with "We got him!"

Everyone clapped and yelled. Looks like the suspect is 31. They found DNA on Vanessa's hands.

Matched that with Ortiz.

Charged with aggravated assault and battery and assault with attempt to rape. Being arraigned in Tuesday [FONT=&amp] He is expected to be arraigned Tuesday in Leominster District Court. Held on a million dollar bail.
[/FONT]

And YES, this was a trooper who spotted him. Thanks for the correct. Trooper went to Ortiz's apartment and left a card. He did not hear back, and went back to the suspect's apartment to interview Ortiz and to get a swab.

Had over 1300 tips. Some of them consistent, especially at the beginning.

Family asking for privacy. Long road. Will not speak publically now.

Early thanked Vanessa.

It was through "Vanessa's determined fight and efforts that we got the DNA..."

Nice touch.

Here is some info for those not watching:

I am typing in order, so it's scattered.

Thanking LE...MA state police detectives, town of Princeton, etc.....spent endless hours on investigation...

There is no murder charge YET - DNA came in yesterday afternoon. But - wholly anticipate murder charge.

We don't know if he is US citizen...no statement.

Arrest - Ortiz not resistant, they stopped at his house, brought in for questioning, it went smoothly, Has asked for atty.

Believe he worked in the area around the time when Vanessa's life was so sickly seized (my words!), and had been working in the area for a while.

How he was found - (I could not hear if this was a citizen or LE who saw the guy out driving...)

Loose transcript...

"This is a guy driving in Worcester...saw someone who might resemble the killer...grabbed for piece of paper...wrote license plate on his hand...happened in Worcester...called in tip" (Makes me think this was not LE?)

The man has no documented history with LE.

"This has been a roller coaster - left family at 5:00 AM this morning - family has been tremendous...hearts go out to the family..."

Much info will not yet be released.

They used interpreter last night. He speaks some English.

LE still doing their jobs. Very comfortable that they have Vanessa's killer.

1 in Quintilian chance that this is not the killer....I think that is what they said. Please correct me if wrong.

I took these notes on the fly. Will update all day.

HTH.

I jotted down some quick notes too. This is what I took away but I may have some errors:
I thought Early said it was a Mass State Trooper on Patrol who saw the dark colored SUV and that it matched a suspect Profile. He wrote the license plate # down on his hand. Trooper went to the residence the first time and suspect wasn't home so he left a card requesting a call back. Suspect never called. Trooper went back again and suspect was home and LE obtained a buccal swab.
Moo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for posting what transpired in the press conference. I don't have access to local news. Tears came to my eyes when I read the news today. As a runner, I was so deeply affected by the murders of Karina Vetrano and Vanessa Marcotte last summer. I am so grateful to the good old-fashioned police work by LE that led to arrests in both cases.

Wow. I'm just in tears. Been waiting so long for this. Good job LE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste