Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tabloids are only speculating on the reason that Operation Grange is being wound up. Operation Grange is a missing person inquiry, it is nothing to do with the murder inquiry the Germans are investigating.

The only quotes (from an unnamed source) we have to go off are these:

“There are currently no plans to take the inquiry any further.”

“The end of the road for Operation Grange is now in sight.

“The team’s work is expected to be completed by autumn.”

Rather than any admission of defeat, this sounds to me more like they believe the case is about to reach a conclusion. Namely, that they expect CB to be charged later this year. What "work" would they be completing between now and autumn? If they were still working on (non-CB related) leads to her whereabouts, how do they already know that these leads aren't going to yield anything? How would they know the "end" is in sight unless they believed that it has now been established what happened to her and therefore, the inquiry is no loger needed?

Agree on the tabloid speculation. Apart from anything else, it's filled with confused and illogical nonsense. Why would the OG be frustrated by the BKA investigation's 'failure to deliver'? One has nothing to do with the other. Either OG believes MM remains a missing person or it doesn't. If it's being wound up, then it's (imo) because it (a) has come up with absolutely nothing to justify its ongoing funding remit, or (b) it's in receipt of evidence that makes its continuing remit untenable. Either way, no reason for frustration.

If - and it's still a big if imo - there's a significant update on the horizon, it will come directly from the BKA.

Last edited:
Correct. People who are adamant that CB is innocent are wanting to read into this latest news as that it must mean the investigation into him is failing. Ironically though, those same people were pointing to this article around Christmas time as evidence that the Met didn't share the same view as the Germans on CB.

But a source confirmed to MailOnline: 'The Met Police's Operation Grange is still running this as a missing person's investigation.

'Clearly the Met have more open thinking than the German authorities have at the present.

'Madeleine's parents have always said if they are presented with hard proof she has died they will accept it.

'But the fact Operation Grange still exists and still gets funding shows the Met still thinks there is still work and investigation to be done.'

'Scotland Yard has more open thinking' on Madeleine McCann than Germans who think her dead | Daily Mail Online

I try to point out to conspiracy theorists, that if an equation needs a mythical freezer & the Lisbon treaty to make it add up, then it’s probably best to refrain from subscribing to it.

HCW occasionally responds when the media approach him after a story is run about the case being dropped. IMO the problem with him doing that is that it creates a press narrative & the articles become a cliche tabloid run. I wouldn’t be surprised if a story runs tomorrow where HCW is stating something like the case is progressing well & they continue to work at full speed.
The recent radio silence on the part of HCW seems rather unusual.
I don’t think the BKA’s investigation will go from ‘it is now possible we could charge’ all the way to them abruptly shelving it. IMO they’ve invested too much to let this go. IMO, when (if) they read this tabloid stuff, they probably sigh & think ‘if only the new’ or ‘they won’t be writing this in June’

Madeleine McCann case closed by Met Police after 11 years, amid fears suspect may never be charged
Christian Brueckner, the German prime suspect, has denied any involvement in the girl's disappearance

Last year, Christian Wolters, the German public prosecutor leading the investigation, said his team was “100 per cent” sure Brueckner was involved, but admitted evidence detectives had obtained was circumstantial.

They had appealed to the public for information, but have conceded that without a body, DNA or CCTV they lacked proof of his involvement.

Madeleine McCann case closed by Met Police after 11 years, amid fears suspect may never be charged

Christian Brueckner, the German prime suspect, has denied any involvement in the girl's disappearance

Last year, Christian Wolters, the German public prosecutor leading the investigation, said his team was “100 per cent” sure Brueckner was involved, but admitted evidence detectives had obtained was circumstantial.

They had appealed to the public for information, but have conceded that without a body, DNA or CCTV they lacked proof of his involvement.

This all seems to contradict HCW’s comments that it’s now possible they could charge. Perhaps he’ll set the record straight this week. I’m surprised the Telegraph has reported on this because they’re more credible than the normal tabs. It could mean there’s more truth to this.

I always believed the Met would use the Germans as the opportunity to close the unwanted investigation

Interesting the story was buried in the weekend. Of course the Sun is hardly reliable sourcing.

Agree on the tabloid speculation. Apart from anything else, it's filled with confused and illogical nonsense. Why would the OG be frustrated by the BKA investigation's 'failure to deliver'? One has nothing to do with the other. Either OG believes MM remains a missing person or it doesn't. If it's being wound up, then it's (imo) because it (a) has come up with absolutely nothing to justify its ongoing funding remit, or (b) it's in receipt of evidence that makes its continuing remit untenable. Either way, no reason for frustration.

If - and it's still a big if imo - there's a significant update on the horizon, it will come directly from the BKA.

I agree the reasons don't appear logical

If the quote is real, it reads like someone is trying to start a narrative that OG will have to close and it's all the german's fault. If you didn't want the OG investigation in the first place, HCW is providing you the perfect excuse to shut up shop.

Having just reread the MET update on 3/06/2020 they said they ( the MET ) received information about the German in 2017 and they engaged with the BKA who agreed to work with the MET and PJ . So to be frustrated by the BKA could mean frustrated that the BKA could take it no further.

One other thing, some speculate its because the BKA are possibly going to charge CB later in the year, who would legally be responsible for declaring Madeleine dead if this is the path of the BKA, bearing in mind they do not have remains and from information available trials without bodies in Germany are rare , not forgetting its a British subject who disappeared in Portugal . SY and more importantly the McCann's consider its still a missing persons case .

It's only the Met closing their case of a missing person. IMO they were going to struggle to get more funding to carry on, I could be wrong though, I have been before.

The McCains do still believe Maddy is missing but the Met can't run their case following their belief. And no, I don't think they did it.

We just have to wait and hear where CBs case is going, it won't be closed down, that I do believe.

This all seems to contradict HCW’s comments that it’s now possible they could charge. Perhaps he’ll set the record straight this week. I’m surprised the Telegraph has reported on this because they’re more credible than the normal tabs. It could mean there’s more truth to this.

But it makes no sense! CB being charged or not has nothing to do with OG's 'missing person' remit. Either I'm missing something crucial here (which is of course possible and I'm 100% open to be schooled on what I'm possibly missing) but the two things have no logical connection.

It would only make sense if the OG also believed that MM was dead and CB was responsible. It would only make sense if OG had been actively supportive of the BKA's investigation. Neither of the above apply so why in the world would the OG be citing the lack of an official charge against CB as its reason for discontinuing its entirely different and separate remit?

Last edited:
But it makes no sense! CB being charged or not has nothing to do with OG's 'missing person' remit. Either I'm missing something crucial here (which is of course possible and I'm 100% open to be schooled on what I'm possibly missing) but the two things have no logical connection.

It would only make sense if the OG also believed that MM was dead and CB was responsible. It would only make sense if OG had been actively supportive of the BKA's investigation. Neither of the above apply so why in the world would the OG be citing the lack of an official charge against CB as its reason for discontinuing its entirely different and separate remit?
I don't think you're missing anything. I agree that there is nothing to signify that the closure of OG is an indicator of failure in the German investigation. If anything, it's the opposite, that they feel confident enough that this is what they think happened to close the inquiry.

There is no attributed quote in the Sun article or proper reference to who is supposedly thinking that it is down to frustration of a lack of progress etc from the German inquiry. IMO, that's just their spin on it. Maybe with the intention to get a reaction from elsewhere.

I will just point out that I made the following observation a couple of weeks ago when we were discussing whether the media silence was due to apathy.

There's not even an article saying the case is running into trouble, which is the usual go-to when the press have no new info but want some MM associated clickbait.

Lo and behold, we have now had dozens of articles to this effect within a day or two, all carrying the same kind of message and from the same uncorroborated source. This news has nothing to do with the BKA investigation but they (the tabs) are trying to force the story that way.

Last edited:
I full

I fully agree with your good points. I think this latest round of news stories about this anonymous SY source may be taken wildly out of context. Trouble is, we don’t yet know what the context is. IMO if there was ever a time that funding would be most justified, it would absolutely be now, because the German’s have been making comments about charging. I can’t think of a word to describe my thoughts, I’d go with ‘urrrhhh-hmmm’. Incredulous maybe!

One can create all manner of potential scenarios based on this small amount of possibly factual information.

I think it’s may be 1 or a few reasons

1. The BKA aren’t sharing information. SY have passed on everything they have & have a relatively slim workload because they can’t possibly match the volume of detectives working the case, or the BKA’s evidence. 4 detectives who don’t have access to the evidence, would be of no use to the BKA, who have dozens of detectives, all with access to their evidence

2. the BKA have told them they have all they need for an arrest & have decided to do so.

3. The BKA have relayed that they are in a strong position & are far more affective working without the bureaucracy. The statute of limitations ending also plays into that

4. The BKA have told them that they’ve concluded that with their current level of evidence, they don’t think a conviction is 100% likely (double jeopardy), so they’re going to shelve the case & see if they get anything in the future

just my thoughts, be good to hear others

Thanks

I full

I fully agree with your good points. I think this latest round of news stories about this anonymous SY source may be taken wildly out of context. Trouble is, we don’t yet know what the context is. IMO if there was ever a time that funding would be most justified, it would absolutely be now, because the German’s have been making comments about charging. I can’t think of a word to describe my thoughts, I’d go with ‘urrrhhh-hmmm’. Incredulous maybe!

One can create all manner of potential scenarios based on this small amount of possibly factual information.

I think it’s may be 1 or a few reasons

1. The BKA aren’t sharing information. SY have passed on everything they have & have a relatively slim workload because they can’t possibly match the volume of detectives working the case, or the BKA’s evidence. 4 detectives who don’t have access to the evidence, would be of no use to the BKA, who have dozens of detectives, all with access to their evidence

2. the BKA have told them they have all they need for an arrest & have decided to do so.

3. The BKA have relayed that they are in a strong position & are far more affective working without the bureaucracy. The statute of limitations ending also plays into that

4. The BKA have told them that they’ve concluded that with their current level of evidence, they don’t think a conviction is 100% likely (double jeopardy), so they’re going to shelve the case & see if they get anything in the future

just my thoughts, be good to hear others

Thanks

Who knows, but point 2 would be the best outcome for me

From this morning former SY officer doubt it

I wonder what this pundit would say about the Becky Watts case where the family kept living in the house for days and days when the murder scene was right upstairs!

I don't think you're missing anything. I agree that there is nothing to signify that the closure of OG is an indicator of failure in the German investigation. If anything, it's the opposite, that they feel confident enough that this is what they think happened to close the inquiry.

RSBM

I differ from you only in that I think it gives them the chance to close up shop either way. Announce victory, kick the ball to the germans and go home.

If HCW ends up prosecuting the Met can provision assistance if asked. They don't need Grange for that.

But imo it goes back to what I said earlier, the official stance from the UK point of view is that its a missing child, the PJ who knows ? its a British child allegedly killed by a German national in Portugal, no body so do the Germans have a legal right to declare Madeleine dead with out the remains.

I think the original article is behind a Spiegel paywall but some more info here:

The suspect in the Madeleine McCann case, who was imprisoned in the Oldenburg correctional facility (JVA) , sent an extensive complaint to the Lower Saxony state parliament. According to information from "Spiegel", Christian B. complains in the 14-page, handwritten paper about "insults, verbal abuse and death threats" by prisoners in the JVA.

"I am forcibly self-isolating because there is a high likelihood of physical assault by fellow inmates," said B. The letter contains so many criticisms that the Justice Department, which was asked for comment, sorted them into a list: from a) prison conditions to p) complaints about the behavior of employees. The prisoner even complains about the lack of a coffee creamer.

Law enforcement officers apparently found a razor blade hidden in a sharpener and eight "sturdy wooden skewers" during a search. According to an internal assessment, Christian B. has "psychopathic traits" that could be dangerous. In Oldenburg, B. has been serving a seven-year prison sentence since December 2020, among other things for raping a 72-year-old American woman.

The inmate writes that he spends about 23 hours a day in his cell. That is "torture". The petitions committee of the state parliament rejected the complaint written in September. In the meantime, the prison administration has transferred him to the security station, where he has no contact with fellow prisoners.

Verdächtiger im Fall Maddie McCann klagte über Haftbedingungen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member