Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

Mr Wolters, overseeing the investigation into paedophile Brueckner, said of Thursday’s search: “I read about it, but the measures were not taken in consultation with us.

“The Portuguese police are investigating themselves. We don’t know what knowledge they are based on.

Taking that last comment, along with what HCW then said in the Discovery doc, leads me to think the intel the Germans passed to PJ was not something specific to those exact wells.

From the article:

Mr Wolters, overseeing the investigation into paedophile Brueckner, said of Thursday’s search: “I read about it, but the measures were not taken in consultation with us.

“The Portuguese police are investigating themselves. We don’t know what knowledge they are based on.

Taking that last comment, along with what HCW then said in the Discovery doc, leads me to think the intel the Germans passed to PJ was not something specific to those exact wells.
Bolded bit, where to start, wasn't there reports of 100's of wells.

Once again caution, its the brit press.

Is THIS where Maddie was hidden? Hundreds of wells were NEVER searched

A WELL just 15 minutes from the apartment where Maddie disappeared is one of hundreds in the area reportedly never checked by investigators.

A WELL just 15 minutes from the apartment where Maddie disappeared is one of hundreds in the area reportedly never checked by investigators.

A good example of unrealistic expectations.

It was also speculated that the wells were searched in connection with this murder at Sito do Barranco Novo, in Vila do Bispo
Dutchman found dead in suspected murder in Vila do Bispo - Portugal Resident The victim was a regular at a venue said to have been frequented by CB Pizza Night Algarve (Fridayhappiness Associação) · 8550-145 Monchique, Portugal and has/had shared acquaintances with CB and others that have connections to him or the investigation.
The murder took place on the 21/5/2020, the wells were searched early July 2020, the search was apparently for the weapon used to beat the victim to death during his home invasion.

Last edited:
The quickest route from Praia da Luz to Praia do Barranco takes you west on the N125 and coming off at Raposeira, taking the road south down to Barranco.

Just after you come off the N125 and head south on that road to Barranco there are three large wells, all in close proximity to one another and all very close to the roadside, just ike the ones they searched in Budens. Just south of them, at the very bottom of the screenshot attached, is what looks to be some sort of abandoned building.

Dropped pin

Attachments

• 20230507_123432.jpg
    20230507_123432.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Double posted so here is a tidbit of info, not saying that the murder. CB or van are related.

The tiny village of Monchique where the Pizza Parties are held is where the actual registered owner of the Blue Transit van at the time of CB/MT's arrest lived/lives.

Last edited:

"Brit Press" is not the only one. Unfortunately you can say "Press".

The quickest route from Praia da Luz to Praia do Barranco takes you west on the N125 and coming off at Raposeira, taking the road south down to Barranco.

Just after you come off the N125 and head south on that road to Barranco there are three large wells, all in close proximity to one another and all very close to the roadside, just ike the ones they searched in Budens. Just south of them, at the very bottom of the screenshot attached, is what looks to be some sort of abandoned building.

Dropped pin
Just thinking these other wells could also "fit" the bill if the German intel relates to one or a combination of -

- 3 wells being together
- Wells by the roadside
- Wells close to, or on the route to, where he was camping

It was also speculated that the wells were searched in connection with this murder at Sito do Barranco Novo, in Vila do Bispo
Dutchman found dead in suspected murder in Vila do Bispo - Portugal Resident The victim was a regular at a venue said to have been frequented by CB Pizza Night Algarve (Fridayhappiness Associação) · 8550-145 Monchique, Portugal and has/had shared acquaintances with CB and others that have connections to him or the investigation.
The murder took place on the 21/5/2020, the wells were searched early July 2020, the search was apparently for the weapon used to beat the victim to death during his home invasion.

Obviously not related to CB as he was elsewhere at that time

So, a very poor tip from the Germans.
Nevertheless, good to see PJ doing something.
I think it’s unfair to criticise any police force for acting on a tip off, or for passing on such information. I’d be far more critical of a police force that decided without bothering to check that a tip off was “not relevant to the investigation “.

Reactions: Mex
I think it’s unfair to criticise any police force for acting on a tip off, or for passing on such information. I’d be far more critical of a police force that decided without bothering to check that a tip off was “not relevant to the investigation “.
I think much would depend on the reliability of the tip off.

I think much would depend on the reliability of the tip off.
Often that is not easy to judge until after it’s been checked out. As an investigator are you going to ignore an anonymous phone call with information claiming to reveal the location of a missing child?

Often that is not easy to judge until after it’s been checked out. As an investigator are you going to ignore an anonymous phone call with information claiming to reveal the location of a missing child?
You may well do if you've had another hundred similar calls. Police resources are finite and priorities have to be set.

The PJ must have had some level of faith in the intel to undertake the searches without even being requested to by the Germans. I don't think we should get too hung up on the word "tip" either. I don't think the PJ would take such action based on some speculative or anonymous "tip-off". I think it's more likely to be some evidence in the German files that either relates to something CB has written down or has supposedly confessed to someone about a well. Then perhaps the PJ have singled those wells out to check, possibly because it was (incorrectly) being reported that CB was staying in Boca do Rio at the time JMO.

You may well do if you've had another hundred similar calls. Police resources are finite and priorities have to be set.
So what criteria should be used when deciding which tip offs are worth following up and which are not? For example, should police have ignored the tip off re: the wells in the Algarve close to where their key suspect was thought to have camped out? If so on what basis?

So what criteria should be used when deciding which tip offs are worth following up and which are not? For example, should police have ignored the tip off re: the wells in the Algarve close to where their key suspect was thought to have camped out? If so on what basis?
That's for officers on the ground to decide, dependent on the information they have.

That's for officers on the ground to decide, dependent on the information they have.
The post I responded to initially criticised the German police for passing on a “very poor tip”. I really don’t see how anyone here is in a position to judge the German police on that basis. It’s perfectly possible that it was a pertinent tip and the wells yielded no results for other reasons (not searched properly, body almost entirely disintegrated after such a long time lapse, etc)

The post I responded to initially criticised the German police for passing on a “very poor tip”. I really don’t see how anyone here is in a position to judge the German police on that basis. It’s perfectly possible that it was a pertinent tip and the wells yielded no results for other reasons (not searched properly, body almost entirely disintegrated after such a long time lapse, etc)
Or they just looked in the wrong wells.

Just noticed the following extract in one of the articles:

New witnesses are being sought as Portuguese officers step up the probe following “convincing” information.

It is claimed Christian B could have dropped the body of the tot, snatched in 2007 just days before her fourth birthday, in an abandoned shaft.

Cops want to speak to anyone who saw the German when he parked his VW Westfalia van in the Algarve.

Three wells were searched last Thursday by a Portuguese police team, including divers

A source said: “Those well searches are unlikely to be the last.

"They were the most obvious, close to Boca do Rio beach where Christian B stayed and next to the road.

"At least 20 more will need to be checked.”

It really sounds to me like the "convincing" information is intel from Germany about MM being put into a well and the PJ picked out those 3 wells to search as they were the most obvious. Close to the road on the route to Boca do Rio, where they thought he was staying.

Since then though we know, from CB himself, that he claims to have been staying in Praia do Barranco at that time, not Boca do Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member