Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this has been posted, but does anyone have an ocean currents map?The wave action map and ocean temp map were interesting resources. Currents could possibly explain a lot about how the wreckage ended up where it did (if in fact this is the wreckage).
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<modsnip>

Ocean circulation images around Australia:
http://www.cmar.csiro.au/currents/diagrams.htm#use

Perhaps this has been posted, but does anyone have an ocean currents map?The wave action map and ocean temp map were interesting resources. Currents could possibly explain a lot about how the wreckage ended up where it did (if in fact this is the wreckage).

I approximated the coordinates. They are not precise. This shows surface water temps...40's(brrr).

http://wxug.us/1eb2h

Yep... I've got photo's I took from the jumpseat of an A300 (Garuda indonesia) - where the captain is reading a newspaper on short finals and the first officer was looking out the right hand window at some fishermen hauling a net in with curious anticipation of what they might pull up...

I've also seen, in person, a friend who knows more about automation of modern airliners than I, do a completely wheels stop automated landing in a 767 simulator after a little FMC programming. I believe he may have captured the ILS for approach though, not sure...

That was from engaging autopilot pretty much immediately after the "after takeoff checks" were complete (aircraft still climbing out) - and the entire flight was then flown by AP through all waypoints set for the route to destination...

SO, unless I am just missing something, which I admit I may be due to lack of real familiarity with the modern FMC's on airliners... but doubt it... I have seen it done...

Hi all, I was up all night and watching CNN.. I know nothing about planes, ships, even canoes so please dont think I am nuts. If they find these are parts of the plane can they send a submarine down there? It would be a blessing as they could really ID. it. My thoughts and prayers are with the families. I cant put the picture of the mom out of my mind.

I spoke of submarine's yesterday and someone posted that they do not go down that far.
WELL.....there must be a way to go down further, we know they do study the ocean and they do go down further.
So I dont know....if they will.

IMHO - they are just fishing....To keep us all somewhat satisfied.
I believe some know more then is said.

I spoke of submarine's yesterday and someone posted that they do not go down that far.
WELL.....there must be a way to go down further, we know they do study the ocean and they do go down further.
So I dont know....if they will.

IMHO - they are just fishing....To keep us all somewhat satisfied.
I believe some know more then is said.

I have been pondering, too. How do you retrieve something that's 2 - 3 miles under the sea? If this is the wreckage, I hope it's on the plateau mentioned in a prior poster's link, rather than in a rugged underwater mountain range. Time to google Air France 447...

ETA: found summary of underwater search of AirFrance 447. They found 100+ bodies and the black box/data recorder after 2 years at around 13K feet underwater. Interesting read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447#Underwater_search

I have been pondering, too. How do you retrieve something that's 2 - 3 miles under the sea? If this is the wreckage, I hope it's on the plateau mentioned in a prior poster's link, rather than in a ragged underwater mountain range. Time to google Air France 447...

The video from the Today Show that I just posted shows how they could do it. They use a robot submarine.

The satellite image of the debris is not that clear. It could be the airplane. 5,000 meters is more than 3 miles, which is deep. That part of the ocean is stormy as there are large and intense extratropical storms. They usually circle Antarctica. That area is one of the stormiest areas in the world.

I've also seen, in person, a friend who knows more about automation of modern airliners than I, do a completely wheels stop automated landing in a 767 simulator after a little FMC programming. I believe he may have captured the ILS for approach though, not sure...

That was from engaging autopilot pretty much immediately after the "after takeoff checks" were complete (aircraft still climbing out) - and the entire flight was then flown by AP through all waypoints set for the route to destination...

But there are all kinds of emergency scenarios in which the pilot could not have or would not have simply set auto-pilot to land.

This is especially true when something is deeply wrong with the plane. In a fire or massive electronic problem, auto-pilot might not function completely, correctly, or even at all.

I've read about and watched documentaries of many crashes and near-misses. Has any pilot in dire danger ever successfully landed by doing no trouble-shooting, no effort, nothing but entering waypoints and allowing auto-pilot to land the plane?

Anyway, I agree that the most likely cause is still intentional diversion, but some sort of bizarre accident still can't be ruled out completely.

The satellite image of the debris is not that clear. It could be the airplane. 5,000 meters is more than 3 miles, which is deep. That part of the ocean is stormy as there are large and intense extratropical storms. They usually circle Antarctica. That area is one of the stormiest areas in the world.

One of the CNN experts also stated it was "the most remote area on the planet". On the planet?!?

Hi all, I was up all night and watching CNN.. I know nothing about planes, ships, even canoes so please dont think I am nuts. If they find these are parts of the plane can they send a submarine down there? It would be a blessing as they could really ID. it. My thoughts and prayers are with the families. I cant put the picture of the mom out of my mind.

Submarines cannot go too deep due to pressure. A few submersibles and Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle (ROV) can go very deep.

Remotely operated underwater vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Submersible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the plane crashed into the water, large pieces would not still be floating by now, according to Steve Wallace, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration's former director of accident investigation. But pieces of lightweight debris, not aircraft structure, could be floating days after the aircraft struck the water, he said. That could include life jackets and seat cushions.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/asia/missing-plane-q-and-a/

The satellite image of the debris that have been released to the media are not clear. There are higher resolution images that cannot be released to the media without violating US law. These images are from Digital Globe, which is a US company.

RE:

I'm not sure how much longer this thread/topic will be alive now that things are wrapping up

No worries.... we tend to be around for while after the media moves on. They are good about leaving the threads up - cause if you think about it , in our own ways, we need closure with one another as well. In terms of a final chapter the real finale is to see how officials attempt to say "its over.

AND then for us to share what we think about that entity. I, too am with you totally, I think this is going into the Ameila Earhart catagory without the first 2 hours of the CVR.

I do not think a 7 hour "accident" has ever occured before (thank god).the longest that comes to mind is AIr Canada 143 . THe next one I can recall is JAL123 (it is like the 2nd 3rd worst ever) Picture of the amazing conclusion of 143 -you will be impressed with flying skills!

Fuel folks messed up conversion in fuel - they ran out of fuel and turned their aircraft into a glider for impressive amount of time, with no fatalies!

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&b...QhBwwAA&iact=rc&dur=534&page=1&start=0&ndsp=8

https://www.google.com/search?q=AIr...eves-a-767-es-a-logikus-igaslo-110929;800;656

Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, we've explored more in outer space than we've explored of the oceans on this planet. There is still much about (and in) the oceans that we do not know!

Yep... I've got photo's I took from the jumpseat of an A300 (Garuda indonesia) - where the captain is reading a newspaper on short finals and the first officer was looking out the right hand window at some fishermen hauling a net in with curious anticipation of what they might pull up...

SO, unless I am just missing something, which I admit I may be due to lack of real familiarity with the modern FMC's on airliners... but doubt it... I have seen it done...

That's truly amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members