Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A "partial ping" received eight minutes after a final complete transmission between Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and an orbiting satellite began on the missing jet, in the latest clue that could help investigators unravel what happened to the jet before it stopped flying.

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_...4579461900800102412-lMyQjAxMTA0MDIwNTEyNDUyWj

Now that's a theory that isn't totally crazy. I thought about solar flares after reading an article about how close we were to getting hit back in November (I think it was November). I mean, the sun is constantly letting them off, they can take out the power grid so I'd assume they could knock out the electrics on a plane, cause a fire or break pieces off? They interfere with GPS. I've read they are a concern in regards to planes dropping from the sky etc. and that its only a matter of time?

Ugh! Now I sound like a conspiracy theorist with my strange question, unfinished sentences and random words.

I would think more planes would have vanished if that was the cause...
If we ever have a massive solar storm every plane will fall out of the sky.
At least they can usually predict them, but still... Scary thought... :scared:

Excellent article.....

Satellite clue ends wild theories, hope for MH370

Over an extraordinary 17 days and nights, until the moment Malaysia's prime minister stepped to a lectern to deliver investigators' sobering new findings, the fate of vanished Flight 370 hung on morbid conjecture and fragile hope.

Many previous tragedies have transfixed us by revealing their power in cruel detail. But the disappearance of the Beijing-bound Boeing 777 without warning or explanation captivated imaginations around the world in no small part because of the near vacuum of firm information or solid leads.

Nothing solid, that is, until late Monday night, when Prime Minister Najib Razak announced that an analysis of the plane's last-known signals to a satellite showed that it went down somewhere in the desolate waters of the southern Indian Ocean - and that all on board perished.

<modsnip>

http://www.katu.com/news/national/Satellite-clue-ends-wild-theories-hope-for-MH370-252310081.html

Sorry about the copyright infringement....you would think that someone who once did copywriting for a living would not have fallen into that trap.:blushing:

A "partial ping" received eight minutes after a final complete transmission between Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and an orbiting satellite began on the missing jet, in the latest clue that could help investigators unravel what happened to the jet before it stopped flying.

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_...4579461900800102412-lMyQjAxMTA0MDIwNTEyNDUyWj

I would think more planes would have vanished if that was the cause...
If we ever have a massive solar storm every plane will fall out of the sky.
At least they can usually predict them, but still... Scary thought... :scared:

Yeah, its not high up on my list at all. It IS a scary thought. Imagine if the whole world went dark:scared: It'd be like on Revolution. Solar flares is slighty behind North Korea, but way behind mechanical failure.

I have not heard that either. I used to watch for solar flares and keep track of stuff like that. I wonder if it possible that a solar flare/emp had something to do with the plane. I would think that would make the cabin disintegrate etc. IDK just thinking outloud.

Now that's a theory that isn't totally crazy. I thought about solar flares after reading an article about how close we were to getting hit back in November (I think it was November). I mean, the sun is constantly letting them off, they can take out the power grid so I'd assume they could knock out the electrics on a plane, cause a fire or break pieces off? They interfere with GPS. I've read they are a concern in regards to planes dropping from the sky etc. and that its only a matter of time?

Ugh! Now I sound like a conspiracy theorist with my strange question, unfinished sentences and random words.

A solar flare isn&#8217;t like a lightning strike though, which causes physical damage. An extremely strong one could absolutely interfere with power and communication systems though, but that would have been noticed in other places and on other flights too, and not just with this one single flight - and there would have been advance warning.

/space junkie

ETA: There was moderate auroral activity predicted for March 8th, which would be associated with increased solar activity in the days prior, but a moderate burst isn&#8217;t nearly strong enough to disrupt power or communication systems. I haven&#8217;t checked the actual data recorded between the 7th and the 9th though.

"An aviation source said that missing flight MH370 would have hit the water at around 600mph after gliding down from 35,000ft.

The source said: &#8220;The plane would not have dropped like a stone, it would have glided down from 35,000 ft for around 10-12 minutes after it had exhausted its fuel.

&#8220;It would have hit the water with a massive impact - as though the plane had landed on concrete. Nobody could have survived that.

<modsnip>

It's a 30in-long cylindrical microphone which is slowly towed underwater in a grid pattern behind a commercial ship. It will pick up any black box ping emitted from, on average, a mile away - but could hear a ping from two miles away depending upon a number of factors, from ocean conditions to topography to if the black boxes are buried or not.

The listening device is attached to about 20,000ft of cable and is guided through the ocean depths by a yellow, triangular carrier with a shark fin on top. It looks like a stingray and has a wingspan of 3ft"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysia-airlines-mh370-live-3266508#ixzz2x1KgH0dC
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Two mile range? Boy, that seems small in that vast ocean.

Yeah, its not high up on my list at all. It IS a scary thought. Imagine if the whole world went dark:scared: It's be like on Revolution. Solar flares is slighty behind North Korea, but way behind mechanical failure.

I'd put it way behind meteor. Oddly, mechanical would be much higher on my list.

I think that it is 100% verifiable that the information about the stolen passports has not helped to locate the plane, nor has it - to date - helped to discover the cause of the incident.

So yes, it’s important information, but the insistence that an !!!!American investigation!!!! by the !!!!FBI and CIA!!!! would have taken care of that immediately - is probably true, but it’s not true that it’s the key to finding the plane. :laughitup:

BMM - so what? I'm failing to understand the importance of even stating this now. It could be important in another sense still or in finding a plane another time.

I don't really see any sense in particularly mentioning the FBI or CIA in that way, but I doubt anyone thought it was just the FBI or CIA who might have addressed it differently, that's just what they are accustomed to. Not sure there is that much US centered jingoism, who said it was the key to finding the plane?

LOL, yesterday they were reporting that the pilots could have been trying to save the plane. Every day, a new sensational headline. It's almost as if they just want clicks/to sell papers. Oh, wait...

Not caught up yet, so excuse if this has been answered.

Is the NZ Herald reputable news source or is it considered kind of like the one from the UK that is kind of "tabloid-y"? (The Daily Mail?).

TIA!

I have not heard that either. I used to watch for solar flares and keep track of stuff like that. I wonder if it possible that a solar flare/emp had something to do with the plane. I would think that would make the cabin disintegrate etc. IDK just thinking outloud.

This might be a really dumb question, but can a solar flare happen at night? Or would it only affect the side of the earth facing the sun?

bbm
<modsnip>

Defence Minister David Johnston said the search area was “probably one of the most remote parts of the planet” and one that “has shipwrecked many sailors.”

Meantime, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the search for the missing plane was not open-ended, but said Australia would not lightly abandon efforts to locate the wreckage.

Mr Abbott said there was a lot of debris in the area and Australia would keep searching until there was no hope of finding anything.

"We are just going to keep on looking because we owe it to people to do everything we can to resolve this riddle,"
he told the Nine Network."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing...he-haystack-20140326-zqn1d.html#ixzz2x1OPF6BE

Just read an article about aircraft black boxes....the salient points were:

1. They are not black but rather international orange
2. They come in two parts - a flight data recorder and a cockpit voice recorder
3. They were invented by an Australian in 1956 and Australia was the first country to make the technology compulsory
4. Experts don't call them black boxes they are referred to as electronic flight data recorders
5. Only two hours of cockpit conversations are kept
6. They're virtually indestructible...
7. Not as powerful as you phone

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-26/black-box-flight-recorders/5343456

Jon Williams &#8207;@WilliamsJon 2m
NASA using world's most powerful satellites in #MH370 search.
Sat EO-1 now overhead: can resolve objects as small as approx 35 feet across

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon

Jon Williams &#8207;@WilliamsJon 1m
ASTER instrument on NASA's Terra satellite over #MH370 area for next 2 weeks: ASTER can resolve objects as small as approx 50 feet.

This might be a really dumb question, but can a solar flare happen at night? Or would it only affect the side of the earth facing the sun?

This happened during a huge solar flare at approx. same time last year..

http://www.space.com/topics/solar-flares-space-weather-latest-news/

bbm.

" The amazing spectacle was attributed to a spectacularly large sunspot that slowly came into view on the east limb of the sun on March 5, 1989. Covering an area equal to roughly 3,000 millionths of the solar disk, it was the largest spot that had ever been seen at so high a northern latitude on the sun.

The very next day, this mammoth sunspot produced a major solar flare, ranked as an X15; it was one of the most intense flares ever recorded, and was so powerful that it saturated the detectors on the GOES satellite that recorded the event. [See 25 Years Ago: Amazing Auroras from 1989's Great Solar Storm (Gallery).]"

I'd put it way behind meteor. Oddly, mechanical would be much higher on my list.

After watching heaps of Air Crash Investigation my #1 theory is mechanical. Some stuff you just can't predict and it doesn't have to be one problem. Heaps of small problems add up the big trouble when you are hurtling through the sky in a metal box.
#2 is sabotage by someone on the ground.
#3 would be hijack by someone unknown.
#4 shot down by North Korea
#5 high jack by Iranians.
#6 something to do with Russia and distractions.
#7 Malaysian government something something.
#8 Pilot suicide.
#9 solar flare
#10 terrorism by pilots
#11 stolen by remote control
#12 hostage situation
#13 Meteor.
#14 Aliens.
#15 America. New World Order. Banks. Old money. Illumianti. Marilyn Monroe. World wars. 9/11. JFK. (I stole this one from someone I know who uses this as an answer to anything that happens in the world).

The New Zealand Herald quoted an unnamed fellow pilot as saying the pilot of MH370 could have taken the Boeing 777 for a "last joyride". He was "terribly upset" when his wife told him she was leaving and he may have decided to take the plane to a part of the world where he had never flown.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/9869142/Missing-planes-pilot-back-in-spotlight

Originally Posted by jilly 16th March: (post 75 thread number 8)

Did this unnamed fellow pilot know Captain Shah? I read the article and the answer is No. He is just some pilot being asked to give him opinion, and has probably been given inaccurate facts to begin with. Such as "wife leaving him"....has this ever been verified?? Not that I know of. It's just a rumor swirling around. I give it the same weight as the previous parachuting theory I was pondering. It's just a rumor.

Joyride? So he wanted to see an ocean? Wouldn't he have flown many times over oceans in his LONG career as a pilot? Plus most of it was in the dark.

I do not believe it was either of the pilots.

JMO.

I’m a big fan of the saying, “The only stupid question is the one never asked.”

I think it’s something a lot of people wonder about! :laughitup:

Solar flares occur at the Sun, and have nothing to do with Earth. They can occur at any time and the only time they matter to us, is when one is released from the Sun, in the direction of Earth.

If that happens, then day or night on Earth only matters as far as seeing the aurora is concerned.

The majority of the particles released from the sun during the flare, are absorbed/deflected by our magnetosphere, and the energy is concentrated at the poles - which is why aurora viewing is best in higher latitudes in relation to either pole.

Just read an article about aircraft black boxes....the salient points were:

1. They are not black but rather international orange
2. They come in two parts - a flight data recorder and a cockpit voice recorder
3. They were invented by an Australian in 1956 and Australia was the first country to make the technology compulsory
4. Experts don't call them black boxes they are referred to as electronic flight data recorders
5. Only two hours of cockpit conversations are kept
6. They're virtually indestructible...
7. Not as powerful as you phone

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-26/black-box-flight-recorders/5343456
One of the shows watched last night had a problem with the black box. It had opened up and the data card was water logged. They had to dry it out but it still didn't work and had to be sent to Boeing (?) to be repaired. They found the plane quickly but it took months to actually get the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove