Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it for the day .. planes have all left the area.

Tweets
AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 3m
Positions in the Malaysia Remote Sensing Agency satellite information tweeted on 26 March were within today's #MH370 search area. 2/2

AMSA News ‏@AMSA_News 3m
Final aircraft has left the #MH370 search area. Nothing further identified after initial sighting of three objects. 1/2

Interesting looking at the Indian Ocean circulating currents. Depending on where the objects are, some of them could eventually go up along coast of West Aus or along underneath Australia.

35ku648.jpg

http://www.climatescience.org.au/content/121-dynamics-global-ocean-circulation

Thanks. An oceanographer on Ch 9 this morning said that debris could end up in the Atlantic Ocean within a few months. Now I see why he said that.

“I think history will judge us well,” Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said. Hishammuddin had been asked how Malaysia would be able to repair its image and “bruising” treatment by the international media. “’Bruising,’ I think is a bit too harsh because this is unprecedented,” he said.

“Anybody who has gone through this, what we have gone through... has indicated to me that we have done quite an admirable job.”

“Not many countries in the world could get 26 countries to work together,” Hishammuddin said, referring to the size of the international effort at its height.

“Not many countries can get all the most sophisticated planes from countries from every corner of the world to come and assist.”

Read more: MH370 Lost in Indian Ocean: 'History will judge us well' on MH370: Malaysia - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-c...well-on-mh370-malaysia-1.533725#ixzz2x4LMXeGh

Before the plane is even found, looking for the deep pockets:

A U.S.-based law firm said it expects to represent families of more than half of the passengers on board ... in a lawsuit against the carriers and Boeing Co, alleging the plane had crashed due to mechanical failure.

Chicago-based Ribbeck Law has filed a petition for discovery against Boeing Co, manufacturer of the aircraft, and Malaysian Airlines, operator of the plane in a Cook County, Illinois Circuit Court. The petition is meant to secure evidence of possible design and manufacturing defects that may have contributed to the disaster, the law firm said.

Though both Boeing and Malaysian Airlines were named in the filing, the focus of the case will be on Boeing, Ribbeck's lawyers told reporters, as they believe that the incident was caused by mechanical failure.

"Our theory of the case is that there was a failure of the equipment in the cockpit that may have caused a fire that rendered the crew unconscious, or perhaps because of the defects in the fuselage which had been reported before there was some loss in the cabin pressure that also made the pilot and co-pilot unconscious," Monica Kelly, head of Global Aviation Litigation at Ribbeck Law, told reporters.

Kelly said the conclusion was made based on experience on previous incidents, dismissing the possibilities of hijacking or pilot suicide. The lawsuit, soon to be filed, would seek millions of dollars of compensation for each passenger and ask Boeing to repair its entire 777 fleet.

The law firm said it expected to represent families of more than 50 percent of the passengers on board the flight, but declined to give details on how many families have sought their representation in the case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/26/malaysianairlines-boeing-lawsuit-idUSL4N0MN25D20140326

Just saw footage on the Ch 10 news of today's search. Last plane in said that conditions were calmer than on previous days, and that other than large marine animal activity they saw nothing today.

I did see a helicopter in the footage taken in the search area today, so I guess helicopters can fly in that area if the conditions are calm enough.

Just read this:

".....reports that flight MH370 climbed to between 43,000 and 45,000ft shortly after the last voice communication from the cockpit of the plane. An aviation industry source, who wished to remain anonymous, told MailOnline: 'It was tracked flying at this altitude for 23 minutes before descending. Oxygen would have run out in 12 minutes [in a depressurised cabin], rendering the passengers unconscious"

Did we know about the 23 minutes thing? The oxygen masks would have dropped, and while the passengers would not have physically suffered, there are bound to be some who witnessed others passing out. How scary... (IF this is what happened)

Do you have a link? Passed out? Or would they be deceased?

How significant is the lack of a distress signal from the pilots, and of evidence of passengers using their mobile phones?

Very significant. Starting on the flight deck: the order of priorities of any pilot is clear: aviate (ie keep the aircraft flying), navigate (achieve the desired course and altitude), communicate. If the crew were dealing with a complex and unforeseen problem, they would quite properly focus on the issue rather than contacting the ground or other aircraft. But it appears that a number of manoeuvres were performed that would seem to allow enough time for one or other pilot to broadcast a warning.

If passengers became aware of an unusual or sinister development, it is highly likely that at least some of them would switch on their mobile phones – a few of which would be expected to register on networks while briefly flying over the Malayan peninsula. But the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission reports no such contact. It is possible that passengers were unaware of the change in course, or that they were incapacitated, for example by depressurisation of the cabin.

Once the aircraft was some distance from land, any contact with ground stations would be impossible.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-been-keeping-information-secret-9214930.html

I hope the passengers and crew died quickly from hypoxia rather than suffering the anguish and terror of the flight to nowhere and subsequent crash.

I was on a plane that depressurized. We had no awareness of what was happening. We were started by the sudden drop from the sky. It felt like a vertical drop. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...whoops...didn't mean to send...

The oxygen masks didn't drop. We flew low to the nearest airport. We had been without oxygen enough to feel groggy and drowsy. But as I said, we had no awareness of what was happening when it was happening.

Okay so I hate Tony. Loathe him. But I give credit where credit is due. He did the right thing today.

Ouch it hurts to say that. I probably won't ever say it again, but his words were good.

Moment in history right there. I have never said a good thing about him and will never say anything positive about him again.

Perfectly said. I detest the man. He makes my stomach churn and is a huge embarrassment to our country, but he's doing ok. At this. Probably only this. I will never have an opportunity to say that again.

RE: Coverage out in the ocean, now way. I live 20 minutes from a capital city and I have terrible coverage, so does my husband who is with a different network.

At the daily press briefing on the search for MH370, acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said an analysis had identified 122 potential objects in a 400 square kilometre area.

ZBpmN43_G5lWqaR3yML7DIJkOxH973EeJtpMYZTsJI3spRDFum-CAYzEZxJRFwJUvSqQtYRrBpep4LMXpRo=s0

V_0rZhaW6W_G-0l70QJ53ETILhPob-PPtw_eKNoPVNnUdG8f8Ed2-FqL4s_tjFIaYR7KBVRCoMxAVXr_5g=s0

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/258288

I have always been sure that the plane ended up where they said it ended up but I think that image settles it for me. That looks exactly like I would expect a debris field to look.

...whoops...didn't mean to send...

The oxygen masks didn't drop. We flew low to the nearest airport. We had been without oxygen enough to feel groggy and drowsy. But as I said, we had no awareness of what was happening when it was happening.

Which may explain why another aircraft heard mumbling from the cockpit when trying to reach out to 370.

I'm not going to believe any debris field exists until a P-8 Poseidon spots it or objects are picked up by a ship.

Thank you plus ! ! ! Those are the best links I've seen in days.

The Daily Mail is a bit tabloid-y, but their pictures are usually pretty good. Not quite as reliable as the BBC but worth checking anyway, they tend to be a bit more adventurous with their reporting - some things turn out to be true, some don't.

My understanding is that the ACARS can be switched off in the cockpit. But to totally disable it, someone needs to go into the avionics bay. The ACARS in MH370 was only switched off in the cockpit. The fact it wasn't entirely disabled is why Inmarsat was able to pick up the hourly "handshakes". The transponder tells the planes identity, location, altitude and speed. It doesn't have flight information programmed into it - that's the flight management system.

Feel free to correct me though. I've only come to learn any of this these last few weeks.

Actualy it doesnt Tell exact location, only longitudinal information, which is why for several days last week the news media was showing maps indicating two possible flight paths (one north, one south) at the end of the initial westerly, off track diversion. They got those projections from the US intelligence folks, who finally kicked into gear after it became obvious that Malaysia was in over its head in an investigation of this complexity.

Neither does it tell speed or altitude. Just a rudimentary ID: I am here. The int folks ruled out the northern possibility fairly early on. The nations along that route would not have neglected to respond to a real time, unidentified target encroaching on their airspace, as the Malaysians did. Despite the fact that the Malaysians went out of their way to pat themseles on the back as to their response to the disappearance, their response was inept and slow.

the transponder is capable of providing much more information, even in its off mode as in this case, but that service cost the airline more money, so it only told the satellite the most basic info: I am here.

Here, in this case, is a vast area, many hundreds of square miles greater than the search area for Air France 447. In that case, its last known position was known immediately, the sea floor was mapped (unlike the southern Indian Ocean), wreckage was discovered in good time (unlike MH 370, which took almost two weeks) and, still, it took TWO years to find the hull and the "black boxes."

Some suggestions: be very skeptical of everything in the media (particularly the ny times and cnn, although they are not the only ones trying to make a buck off this mystery), and don't expect a timely resolution. They may stumble on the wreckage tomorrow, if lucky. If not, expect years, even decades, of doubt.

I am wondering how long CNN is going to devote most of its time to this mystery. 176 missing and presumed dead in Washington State? Why? CNN is still too content with its ratings to care about the missing in Washington, but eventually the viewers are going to realize there really is very little "breaking news" in the distressing mystery of MH 370.

The Daily Mail is a bit tabloid-y, but their pictures are usually pretty good. Not quite as reliable as the BBC but worth checking anyway, they tend to be a bit more adventurous with their reporting - some things turn out to be true, some don't.

Just jumping off you post ajc748.

I noticed in the DM article something that sent a reminder.

There is a young girl holding a photo of her parents that were on MH370, there is some discussion of Tuesday's flight that had an engine fire about parents on the flight.

I was reminded of a friend once saying when her parents went on any flights, they booked on separate planes, so, if one went down, at least one parent would survive. Thought I would toss that out there as something to tuck away if anyone here is married and has children. If a single parent, be sure to get some sort of life insurance before planning any more flights. Well, that goes for married parents too.

I sure hope the objects in the satellite image are a debris field. The persistent and tireless efforts of all involved in the search and recovery are incredibly admirable and deserve all the gratitude in the world.

Also looks like Malaysia has given the people there clearer info, that's a huge step forward. The people there need all the understanding they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove