Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching an episode "SilkAir Flight 185 - Pilot Suicide" (on youtube.)
Just noting that they took family to the remote crash site before they even started the investigation.
So maybe that isn't too terribly strange for an airline to do?

(The NTSB also assisted with that investigation as well.)

:floorlaugh:

So he is being Facetious or not? I really do not know... :facepalm:

OT but related: Regarding the emergency landing today in PHL - If you are told to evacuate, do not stop to get your luggage in the overhead bins, you are holding up others from escaping. Flight attendants are trained to evacuate a plane in 90 seconds, but having to argue with those wanting to take their items can cause delays.

If you notice from the published pictures, many of the passengers have their carry on luggage with them. The plane could explode in minutes, so you need to ask yourself if your luggage is worth dying over, or killing other passengers?

(I work at an airport as an emergency dispatcher for ARFF (Airport Rescue Fire Fighters)as well as other emergencies) I am also friends with several flight attendants, and they were appalled at the pictures today.

Watching an episode "SilkAir Flight 185 - Pilot Suicide" (on youtube.)
Just noting that they took family to the remote crash site before they even started the investigation.
So maybe that isn't too terribly strange for an airline to do?

(The NTSB also assisted with that investigation as well.)

So he is being Facetious or not? I really do not know... :facepalm:

no idea :blushing:

While the troubleshooting systems were functioning, no data links were opened, the sources said, because the companies involved had not subscribed to that level of service from the satellite operator, the sources said.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140314-us-lead-malaysia-plane-search-indian-ocean/

The transponder was switched off 30 minutes after the final voice communication from the cockpit, around the same time that Malaysia believes the plane may have inexplicably started to turn back, the Washington Post said.

Would it be possible to take over control of a passenger jet from the ground by remote control? You know like drones.

System failure that extreme would bring down the plane, not allow it to turn and continue flying for 4 more hours. We know that the plane did not go down at the point where the transponder was turned off, that area has been searched. If the plane didn't continue flying, where is it?

Well, some experts state it may have been a gradual shut down and if that's the case, perhaps they were able to turn back the plane before losing control or passing out from hypoxia.

Also, we certainly do not know that the plane didn't go down near where the transponder last pinged. We know almost nothing. Articles are now saying, as I feared, it's unclear whether the most recent info is accurate. Please see below:

Analysts from U.S. intelligence, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board have concluded that the pings likely came from the missing aircraft, the senior U.S. official said.

There is reason to believe the plane flew for four hours, officials said, but there is no specific indication where the plane actually is.

Multiple bursts of data were received indicating the plane was flying over the Indian Ocean, the senior U.S. official told CNN.
But there's another confusing twist. An emergency beacon that would have sent data upon impact apparently did not go off, the official said. The beacons, known as Emergency Locator Transmitters, activate automatically upon immersion in fresh or salt water, but must remain on the surface for a distress signal to transmit.

The failure of the beacon to activate could mean that the plane didn't crash, that the transmitter malfunctioned, or that it's underwater somewhere.
Mary Schiavo, former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said even though it's unclear how accurate the latest information is, authorities have no choice but to pursue it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

Thank you. Please everyone read this.

while I think all this speculation is great I think we are forgetting over 200 people who are passengers on this plane. Are they just flying along thinking this is great long flight over the Indian Ocean. Are they all passed out, dead. What are the consequences for the passengers? ty

There is no way they are still flying. The plane had limited fuel. I think we all hope they are alive and we are horrified for them and their loved ones.

I would not be surprised if MH370 is never found. Hopefully, it will be found soon. It is probably unlikely it went south of the equator.

I think it will be found eventually. Or at least debris.

Which makes me realize that we have not heard from any families that have said they were talking to or had talked to their loved one on that flight. I realize it was night time there, but out of 239 people, was not one of them on a phone or in communication with a person on land? Or is Malaysia keeping that quiet.

This is a really crazy story. I started following it when it broke and thought maybe it had a mechanical problem and they would find within a few hours. Why isn't the responder working. You would think that at least one person would have gotten a message out on a cell phone. The pilots not saying anything is strange. Now I think back to last week when I heard something about a pilot being a terrorist. Could this be a new terrorist cell? The poor families. Not knowing where there loved ones are. They really need to get the drones on this and find this plane and the passengers.

In case anyone missed it cell phones do not work at cruising altitude or over the ocean.

I'm confused as to why people keep asking this - is it commonplace for people to have phone conversations on planes now? I know a few flights are testing it, but I've never been allowed to have access to the "outside world" on a plane and I flew several times this year. One flight had very expensive internet access, but that was it. To me, the fact that no one called or texted is not odd at all given the location. Do you mean prior to take off?

Thank you.

And IIRC, these weren't functional on international flights waaayyy back then, either. Way back in, like 2005.....

And I seem to remember they were about $5.00+ per minute. Sigh...the good old days....

Airfone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My mom called me on one in 2002 but it was over land still, from LA to Holland.

No presser for another 2 hours, although I fully expect another fresh round of "those reports are inaccurate, next question"

Guess I'll watch the Oscar Pistorius trial in the meantime...

er... the above sounds like a derogatory term or am I mistaken?

Is this guy being Facetious or does he actually believe The Onion is a reputable news journal?
I mean, I know of all people I should be able to tell if he's being Facetious... but I'm not sure.
:giggle:

I think he's being facetious, but if I'm honest these days I'm starting to think The Onion has more going for it than The Guardian....

Live press conference in Beijing currently broadcasting on various media outlets. The conference is evidently being conducted by "Malaysian Authorities." Still trying to get details on the specifics...

Malaysia is taking the heat pretty badly, but they are not budging.

Maybe they do not understand that the world wants answers?

I still feel that organizing a search of this magnitude can be challenging, as we don't need mishaps.

Maybe Malaysia should just let others do the searching for them. :twocents:

Agreed!

Here's the thing... he went off course, then flew the plane off radar for 4 hours just to ditch it in the Indian ocean? :scared: It doesn't make sense! :banghead:

IDK, but if I was suicide, I would not prolong it. I would power-off the transponder and ?; but certainly not fly for 4-5 hours with all the passengers/crew onboard? :scared:

See below.

I'm starting to really think Bill Nye might have had a point with what he said today on CNN is closest to the truth. The plane crashed into the sea near where the transponder was last functioning but inept Malaysia and company did not search well enough and that the Indian Ocean search is merely a product of a premature process of elimination.

After all the backtracking and shadings on the part of Malaysian officials, I don't think any info can be trusted.

SkyNews currently reporting (via Reuters) that they have information suggesting that MHA370 was "deliberately" flown to the Andaman Islands.

Developing story...

er... the above sounds like a derogatory term or am I mistaken?

It does? I always understood it to be shorthand for "CHInese COMunnists". My apologies, it wasn't my intention to offend anyone. I'll go edit my previous post.

Reporter on SkyNews right now saying the Andaman Islands story is based on radar data, and he is attributing this to a "military" source that he has not specifically identified. The same reporter is suggesting that the Andaman Islands is the new "focal point" of the search.

Once there is an online source with this information we should have a link with more information, but the initial break of this story was attributed to Reuters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*