DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lurk:
they are waypoints, not waystations

Waypoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In aviation, area navigation (RNAV)—a method of navigation that permits aircraft operation on any desired flight path within the coverage of station-referenced navigation aids or within the limits of the capability of self-contained aids, or a combination of these—relies heavily upon waypoints. RNAV is increasingly used as the primary method of navigation for aircraft.

In the RNAV context, a waypoint is a predetermined geographical position that is defined in terms of latitude/longitude coordinates (altitude is ignored). Waypoints may be a simple named point in space or may be associated with existing navigational aids, intersections, or fixes. A waypoint is most often used to indicate a change in direction, speed, or altitude along the desired path.

Aviation RNAV procedures make use of both fly-over and fly-by waypoints. A fly-over waypoint is a waypoint that must be crossed vertically by an aircraft. A fly-by waypoint is a waypoint that marks the intersection of two straight paths, with the transition from one path to another being made by the aircraft using a precisely calculated turn that “flies by” but does not vertically cross the waypoint.

Waypoints used in aviation are given five-letter names. These names are meant to be pronounceable or have a mnemonic value, so that they may easily be conveyed by voice.

Thanks. I'm still completely confused! I'll just go back to reading

Even if we had seating arrangements, it may not be where people actually sat. I've often switched seats because either I've been seperated from a co-worker or family member or someone else asks me to switch.

Correct, and this is a HUGE plane. I'm sure people were eyeing those 5 seaters in the middle so they lay down during this red-eye.

This may be a really stupid question.

With all of the nations involved and all of their expert militia looking for this plane, other than sunk deep in the ocean or hidden in a cave or building, how could it still not be found? How can it not be "seen" by some sort of equipment, since there is so very much now, and I'm certain some is more advanced than we are aware of?

CNN has someone from US Geological Survey on. Last week's seismic event in the area was 2.7, and he believes that it was an actual quake, not related to a plane crash. It makes sense, since they had more quake activity today. IMO, though!

Another dead-end lead :(

thanks - it shows an alphabetical list with country of origin and what looks like passport #'s

what I'm interested in is actual seat #'s (who was sitting where)

I think it's 1st column

This may be a really stupid question.

With all of the nations involved and all of their expert militia looking for this plane, other than sunk deep in the ocean or hidden in a cave or building, how could it still not be found? How can it not be "seen" by some sort of equipment, since there is so very much now, and I'm certain some is more advanced than we are aware of?

People are underestimating the sheer vastness of the search area. "Needle in haystack".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something I have wondered about. What procedure takes place when a plane leaves one country's airspace and enters another's? Does the first country, in this case Malaysia, flip a "we're done with you" switch, meaning they would no longer receive transmissions or alerts from that aircraft?

Would the pilot then radio air control in the second country (VN) and announce their arrival. Would VN then flip a "we've got you" switch so that they would receive transmissions and alerts?

If that's the case, and the second country never takes control of the aircraft, does anyone get alerts?

See, that's what I keep thinking about. The "alright, good night" was their farewell to Malaysia ATC. Reports said they were 1 minute away from entering Vietnamese airspace where they would have begun communication. (Who initiates? Good question.).

Coincidence? I think not. They were "unaccountable" for that transitional period of time by civilian radar, if I understand correctly. That would be when I would make my "getaway"...when no one is watching or listening to me...

Daily Mail headline:

Investigators looking into whether Malaysian jet was stolen by PIRATES

Arrrrrr you kidding me??

Just kidding. This could be the best option, pirates would keep the passengers alive to get money.

People are underestimating the sheer vastness of the search area. "Needle in haystack".

True.

I keep thinking ocean, and if it is there, it may not be found in my lifetime.

But, I think of all the land it could have been taken to, or crashed into, and forget that land is also incredibly large and can be dense, some not populated enough to report, some in areas that simply are not capable or allowed, or taken and hidden in some remote area away from any other than ones that are in the know.

What is the most popular professional opinion of any aviators or otherwise knowledgeable?

Arrrrrr you kidding me??

Just kidding. This could be the best option, pirates would keep the passengers alive to get money.

I was thinking pirates to steal a plane either to use to get people out of one country into another, or to transport illegal cargo of some sort while under the guise of the family 777. :floorlaugh::facepalm: (You can tell I know nothing of flying planes.)

On one of the websites I saw yesterday, they said it would be the equivalent of finding a nickel in a sports stadium.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

One U.S. Theory: Plane's Disappearance 'Act of Piracy'

Investigators probing the missing Malaysia Airlines jet are examining the possibility the plane's disappearance is "an act of piracy," and that the plane may have landed somewhere rather than crashed, the Associated Press reported.

The AP attributed the information to a U.S. official who wasn't authorized to speak publicly on the matter and spoke only if not identified. NBC News has not independently confirmed the information...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/one-u-s-theory-planes-disappearance-act-piracy-n52941

Just heard on MSNBC news, voice cockpit recorders only record the last 2 hours. If plane continued to fly 4-5 hours, we won't hear what took place in the cockpit when the transponders were turned off and flight direction changed.

All these countries talking, helping, listening, concerned ... brings a tear to my eye.

Maybe this will bring World Peace?? :praying:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member