Mass Casualties -Train Crashes Into NJ Transit's Hoboken Station

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/

Confirmed via WCBS 880, three confirmed deaths
The most severe injuries on the platform itself, according to engineer
Careened right through a coffee stand, almost to the ticket counter (as reported based on witness account)

Per CNN Interview with NJ Transit worker witness. Stated he was shouting at people to stay on the train as in the moment it was not known if there was an electrical issue that would cause folks getting out to suffer an electrocution. Thankfully it did not. Note to self if gawd forbid!!!! Stated he was telling people staying put was the safest until all power was cut. Lordy this could have been much worse than it already is.

First post, longtime lurker. I love you guys.
MOO, but I find it suspect that:
1. This happened at the busiest time of the day at the busiest station in the country.
2. Today is 9/29. 2+9=11. Symbolism?
Seems IG is filtering tags??
Again, MOO. I sure hope I am wrong. And praying for the victims and families.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:welcome: to Websleuths!

I am a little surprised that folks are picking up on heart attack tho? Could be I suppose , but this train had the dead mans switch. It is exactly as it sounds!!

There is a delay before , if he drops dead, it would apply the brakes. So I guess if the heart attack or whatever occurred (I dont know the timeframes they are different) but lets say the dead mans switch is 10 secs.

So if he had a heart attack 10 secs before the wall, I suppose there could be totally no attempt to slow.

From interviews that is what really caught me. NO SLOWING as oppoassed to (obviously) not enough. And I also thought reg folks who are on it all the time , gotta to be a mortifying realization that this is not slowing and I know where we are

CNN has been carrying train crash live for almost two hours. Wonder if this will continue throughout the day instead of non-stop election coverage? :angel:

I am a little surprised that folks are picking up on heart attack tho? Could be I suppose , but this train had the dead mans switch. It is exactly as it sounds!!

There is a delay before , if he drops dead, it would apply the brakes. So I guess if the heart attack or whatever occurred (I dont know the timeframes they are different) but lets say the dead mans switch is 10 secs.

So if he had a heart attack 10 secs before the wall, I suppose there could be totally no attempt to slow.

From interviews that is what really caught me. NO SLOWING as oppoassed to (obviously) not enough. And I also thought reg folks who are on it all the time , gotta to be a mortifying realization that this is not slowing and I know where we are

I heard one expert mention that since it is a pedal someone could collapse and still put weight on the pedal.

ETA: The only dead man switch I ever worked with was a lever that had to be pulled down so if someone collapsed they'd lose hold (at least that's how it was supposed to work).

CNN has been carrying train crash live for almost two hours. Wonder if this will continue throughout the day instead of non-stop election coverage? :angel:

LETS HOPE SO LETS HOPE SO LETS HOPE SO

He reminds me of a used (not NEW) car salesman!!

Per CNN witness-Engineer slumped over, unresponsive after crash?????

Types of buffers:

220px-Buffer_stop_zurich.jpg

220px-Buffer_stop_in_Saint-R%C3%A9my-l%C3%A8s-Chevreuse_(France).jpg

1ed4cf92d8ba4f414353e6625250fb9e_f151.jpg

train-stop-buffer-bumper.jpg

I heard one expert mention that since it is a pedal someone could collapse and still put weight on the pedal.

ETA: The only dead man switch I ever worked with was a lever that had to be pulled down so if someone collapsed they'd lose hold (at least that's how it was supposed to work).

Oh good Jax - if you worked in that envon tell us tell us everything you think!!!

Per CNN: Local authorities to hold press conference at 1:00PM (Eastern).

Oh good Jax - if you worked in that envon tell us tell us everything you think!!!

My experience was just a fire suppression system. I don't get why they'd use a pedal that someone could collapse onto...

ETA: Lost my thanks button also. Weirdness.

First post, longtime lurker. I love you guys.
MOO, but I find it suspect that:
1. This happened at the busiest time of the day at the busiest station in the country.
2. Today is 9/29. 2+9=11. Symbolism?
Seems IG is filtering tags??
Again, MOO. I sure hope I am wrong. And praying for the victims and families.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed. There have been a number of serious train mishaps of late (since Spring of 2015, starting with a suspicious fire on train in CO, IIRC) here, and in Italy as well around the time of the attacks in Nice, which is not that far away. Now here, around the time of... coincidence, of course.

:welcome5:

OutlookLookout, thank you for pitching in. Glad you're here.

Bit of trouble getting oriented--the gray glass things that look like catapillers, is that where the trains was "under" OR the yello buildings was where the train was under and crashed into (perpedcular) under the glass catapillar

worded worse than my typical!!!

My experience was just a fire suppression system. I don't get why they'd use a pedal that someone could collapse onto...

ETA: Lost my thanks button also. Weirdness.

Related to trains! Speak!! We need an expert now -

Hubby and I grabbed an Amtrak in Michigan last spring for a mini vaycay in Chicago. Saved driving and crazy expense of parking. Took 6 hrs. and I was commenting why does this train have to go so slow. We could be there in half the time. I'll never complain again next time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back