Mass Casualties -Train Crashes Into NJ Transit's Hoboken Station

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Related to trains! Speak!! We need an expert now -

Not related to trains. Sorry.

I keep hoping we'll get a local who can describe the layout. I'm totally lost too.

Per CNN Hospital-Some critical or serious. How could they not be given what we have seen. Still tough to hear it tho. Prayers to all.

Not related to trains. Sorry.

I keep hoping we'll get a local who can describe the layout. I'm totally lost too.

It's a gorgeous old school station, renovated, with lines of train coming into the terminal, side by side, where people wait on the platform in between them. This train was said to have been coming in, not stopped and pushed up towards the glass ceiling, from best I can make out. Passengers waiting on the platform were hurt the worst from the damage done to the structure, and the train cars jumping onto the platform, possibly?

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/news-12-new-jersey-live-stream-1.3925819

shown just now

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Screenshot 2016-09-29 at 11.39.21 AM.jpgScreenshot 2016-09-29 at 11.42.12 AM.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 15
First post, longtime lurker. I love you guys.
MOO, but I find it suspect that:
1. This happened at the busiest time of the day at the busiest station in the country.
2. Today is 9/29. 2+9=11. Symbolism?
Seems IG is filtering tags??
Again, MOO. I sure hope I am wrong. And praying for the victims and families.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well well well - we all knew you were there! Proud of your "coming out"!

Hopefully you like stepping out on the stage instead of remaining in the wings.

Standing oviation now !

What does this mean

“There are fatalities,” said a senior transportation official who did not want to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly. “There are a significant number of injuries. The train was going very fast. There are structural concerns about the facility.”

diagram-Artboard_1.png

Train number 1614 on the Pascack Valley line failed to stop as it arrived at the terminal. It continued beyond the tracks and onto the concourse. The roof of the structure collapsed and the platform was severely damaged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html

It truly is bizaire, if one pauses, for a train to crash "into" a terminal

I follow anything NTSB (they do highway,marine ,aviation, railroad) and this IS strange

[video=youtube;1fCO2MRsl-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCO2MRsl-8[/video]

Found this from last year.

Well well well - we all knew you were there! Proud of your "coming out"!

Hopefully you like stepping out on the stage instead of remaining in the wings.

Standing oviation now !

What does this mean

Lol thanks for the warm welcome.

Just that I assume that some others would link the accident to possible terror attack, and not just the 'everything is a conspiracy' people. Tags would include terror, attacks, isis, etc. None of the pics or videos tagged with #hoboken include any terror related tags. I assume they are being filtered out. But we all know when you assume... could mean nothing, or something. Or maybe certain tags trigger an automatic review or filter, who knows?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

“There are fatalities,” said a senior transportation official who did not want to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly. “There are a significant number of injuries. The train was going very fast. There are structural concerns about the facility.”

diagram-Artboard_1.png

Train number 1614 on the Pascack Valley line failed to stop as it arrived at the terminal. It continued beyond the tracks and onto the concourse. The roof of the structure collapsed and the platform was severely damaged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html

A veryful helpful picture for me TY! Now that I get "it" does seen kinda stupid design, I now understand the poster that said something similair. You would not put the airport lounge at the end of the runway.

22 bumps, bruises, one bad fracture of extremities, in touch with fams, all safe and stable
5 lacerations, 2 or 3 fractures
no one from here is critical
The scene is clear
Triage done very well at station by responders
Incident command here and at Christ, well prepared through drills
Patient at Christ stable, no detail
74 injured overall, treated at hospitals

Focus on 22 Jersey City above
others

Jersey City Medical a Trauma center.
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/news-12-new-jersey-live-stream-1.3925819

one fatality (not sure where or confirmed) not from PC

For me it seems very much the same as the layout of many NE major stations. Examples- Boston North and South stations (most trains leave from there or arrive there) where you wait is inside the building on the end where the cars are pulling into and go out on the platform maybe when its pulling in or wait for the rush of people to get off before you go to get on but there is usually lots of space between where the train stops and the building.... Theres also usually a part where you slow down and then you slow again to almost a crawl. And its been a while but if i remember right Hoboken is the same with at least one initial area of slowing down if not two it takes the train longer to pull into the station but safety wise stops things like this from happening usually.

Thank you Jax! Glad to know I was not alone in trying to landed visually with what happened today. That pic a few posts back helped a lot .

Once again the media are getting images in viewers "brains" incorrect. The buffers are really not designed or for stopping out of control trains!

In reality they are kinda like bumper you would put out on your boat so as not to mark your boat up!

Media is carrying on about how the first car (passenger only) flew up over the buffer, yes it did , they are not like guard rails on highways!

Some can be, but I really dont think in this old station the buffers are not engineered to stop runaway trains from crashing into the "lobby"!!!

There really are not expecations that trains are gonna being train stations at whatever horrid speed this thing was going- most speeds at stations are like 5-9 mphs!

For regular commuters , I would think , much further out , there would be like a creep up in anxiety, like humm we seem a bit fast, 10 seconds later, humm , look out window, 10 seconda later, slow realization that this is concerning, 10 seconds later Oh sh&t, and from then on "totally knowing we are gonna crash". Slow realization.

From every eyewitness , this far we have heard from , she was trucking. It was being "driven" by the back, so the car that took the brunt was a passenger car .

Amazingly we are actually lucky with the numbers IMO. Passengers also stated that this morning , the number of the coupled cars was smaller than usual, makes me wonder , sounds crass, if that reality meant there was more crowding , cushioning impact forces

Conflicting reports now emerging, that there might have been some braking - changes everything IMO back to mechanical

speculation

For me it seems very much the same as the layout of many NE major stations. Examples- Boston North and South stations (most trains leave from there or arrive there) where you wait is inside the building on the end where the cars are pulling into and go out on the platform maybe when its pulling in or wait for the rush of people to get off before you go to get on but there is usually lots of space between where the train stops and the building.... Theres also usually a part where you slow down and then you slow again to almost a crawl. And its been a while but if i remember right Hoboken is the same with at least one initial area of slowing down if not two it takes the train longer to pull into the station but safety wise stops things like this from happening usually.

:welcome:

Wow. The video on MSNBC makes me wonder how there aren't dozens dead.

ETA: I watched the video someone posted earlier about the building (sorry I forget who). Absolutely gorgeous old architecture.

From every eyewitness , this far we have heard from , she was trucking. It was being "driven" by the back, so the car that took the brunt was a passenger car .

Yes, that makes sense. It was a diesel train, which means that the engine is the last car.

Most board the first or second train because it pulls into the station first and is closest to the ferries and PATH trains into NYC. This was during rush hour.

The train was on the purple line:

300px-NJT_railmap_infobox.svg.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston