GUILTY MD - Bobbie Cortez, 36, stabbed to death, Dundalk, 6 March 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really don't want to split hairs over this but the 2010 case he was not arrested. A summons was issued, which means a citizen went to a commissioner and made a complaint, then the commissioner issued a summons. The commissioner did not feel, for whatever reason that a warrant was necessary because that is also an option. The summons was served on TV listing his court dates. So IMO the 2010 case could not have been that serious if a) only a summons was issued and b) the state did not prosecute it.
And in the DV case he was never served (no arrest) to be able to answer the allegations.
I'm NOT sticking up for the guy because he obviously has issues-BIG issues. And i do not believe Caitlyn should be in his care. I just think when looking at court records and the information is available one should accurately use that information. He could have had all of these records expunged, except the custody ones, and we wouldn't have anything to discuss as far as a criminal history goes.

He was arrested 10/21/2010. It went to trial where charges were dropped 12/03/2010.

Huh. She clearly said that they do not believe Cortez' "issues" affected Virts' actions at all. I'm not sure I am buying that.

It makes no sense. Someone said this child was named in the indictment. Step dad was just charged Wednesday with new charges, this event happens Thursday morning and the only child taken is CV. How can the two events not be related. Obviously there could be some strange coincidental reason that came about the same time as all of this but it seems like a long shot.

I hope all these children get moved into a stable home.

Regarding BJC not knowing about DC - she started a relationship with him either before or while he was in prison, that is absolutely clear from her FB. She had no excuses for letting that man in her home, with her children.

Not saying that means she deserved what happened, but just wanted to clear up what seems to be a bit of confusion here. She made a choice and tragically now she, her children and TV are all paying for it.

I sincerely hope that TV doesn't harm Caitlyn, and am hoping that the fact he may be with other people (possibly his new partner?) means he doesn't have that intent.

I agree, WolfD. It is VERY clear by her Facebook. How does a "mother" whitewash such disgusting convictions knowing she has 2 small girls that are his favorite age?!? It just baffles the mind.

He was arrested 10/21/2010. It went to trial where charges were dropped 12/03/2010.

No arrest in this case re: TV assault charge 10/2010

EventDateComment
SUMI10/21/2010SUM ISSUED 101021 AGENCY:AD 5902
SUMS11/09/2010SUM SERVED 101101;VC

SUMI means summons issued
SUMS means summons served

Someone went and filed a complaint and the commissioner issued a summons to appear in court, summons' are served and the defendant is given a court date-- no arrest is made.
If there were an arrest on this case, under event history, you would see a commitment and bond information even if he were ROR. And there is none.

Under event history,
When there's an arrest instead of seeing SUMI and SUMS you would see WARI WARS or DOCI before the commitment information.
Hope this helps.

wbaltv.com ‏@wbaltv11 32s

Caitlyn Virts' grandmother and mother of Bobbie Jo Cortez tells I-Team custody hearing was scheduled for this week. http://on.wbaltv.com/1ieaaEG

If there was a custody hearing scheduled this week - I am willing to bet that the those kids would have been taken out of the house when the judge heard that as of Wednesday the stepdad was indicted with abuse charges against Caitlyn. Too bad TV didn't wait and fight in court again but who knows how that would have ended up.

I am so very angry with all three people BJC, TV and DC. The people who are supposed to love and protect are the ones ruining these kids lives. I understand the rage and I don't know what I would do if I found out someone harmed my daughter - I get that but this is all such a tragedy on all levels.

Am I the only one disturbed by the wedding photo (I guess) on BJC's Facebook?? Strange ...

The local news this morning put him in a blue compact sedan, possibly with a woman and another child.

I saw this info last night too yet every article I've read today has them in the Durango. Do you think they've figured out he is definitely not in the blue compact car?? If there's any chance he is hopefully they put all possibilities out there.

If we're going to consider the fact that he's protecting her, then we need to consider the fact that he was victimizing her, perhaps mom turned in the stepfather and was about to turn him in, and so he killed mom and took off with the victim. Would explain why he killed mom now rather than when charges were filed and why he only took one child.

Just popped up as an Amber Alert in NC. I have not received a phone alert, I'm not near the area he is thought to be in.

Reading y'all's posts break my heart. Poor girl.

Anyone know why he was headed to North Hampton County?

We all know the mom made some awful choices but lets lay off of hurtful comments please.

Someday anyone of her children may read here.

Please to all the powers that be, bring Caitlyn home safely.

If we're going to consider the fact that he's protecting her, then we need to consider the fact that he was victimizing her, mom had already turned in the stepfather and was about to turn him in, and so he killed mom and took off with the victim. Would explain why he killed mom now rather than when charges were filed and why he only took one child.

Mom turned in her hubby?

Mom turned in her hubby?

Just my speculation, everyone on WS seems to want to demonize mom to the point of excusing her murder. I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to steer the crowd away from victim blaming since we have so few facts.

ETA: I changed my post to reflect the fact that I am speculating.

I live in Dundalk, and moved here from the Eastern Shore, so this is really close to home. I know kids who attend school with the Virts'. I also was once married to a sex offender, although he was not registered at the time as nobody had ever reported him. Does this make me a bad mom? I hope not, as I'd never have entered into a relationship of any kind with a known child molester.

This situation is a little different as the guy is a REGISTERED offender. I am shocked that this did not prevent the issuance of a marriage license between the offender and the mother of several children in his preferential age range.

Right?! I actually tried to research this very thing yesterday to see if it's against the law anywhere, but came up with nothing. I don't know much about getting things pushed to become a law, but you would think someone, somewhere could make it mandatory that this type of thing doesn't happen anymore.

The whole point of the discussion is that he has a history of being arrested of "violent" crimes. IMO, just because you are not found guilty of these crimes, doesn't mean they didn't occur, people can drop the charges, as it occurred in the DV charged. It often happens. I did it once in my case, but eventually pursued it, but he was still found innocent even though he was guilty. Many times people are guilty are assault but they are found innocent in a court of law. So, to my point, he was arrested three times for violent crimes. That is three times more than anyone I know. And now there is an arrest out for murder. Even if it was trying to protect his daughter or pissed at what happen in the home, and I don't blame him, murdering someone is not the answer. IMO he has a history of rage.

I respect your opinion. And I agree with some things you said. But.. he wasn't arrested. A summons was issued because someone made a complaint. The charges were dropped. That doesn't necessarily prove he has a violent history or a history of rage. And many times people are NOT guilty of assault but they are found guilty in a court of law. It does go both ways and happens more often than we would like to believe.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of cases where one parent is just a little better at portraying the one to be the bad guy than the one being made into a bad guy is at proving the other is not the great parent they say. And in the end it's always the kids that suffer.

And on that note it appears the other twin might have found her mom. Wonderful! As if these kids have not seen enough :(

Mike Hellgren ‏@HellgrenWJZ 2h
Cortez dad says Caitlyn ' s twin discovered her mom dead in bedroom @cbsbaltimore

https://twitter.com/cbsbaltimore

wbaltv.com ‏@wbaltv11 6m
FBI releases photo of the rear of a Dodge Durango with stickers sought in the #AMBERAlert involving Caitlyn Virts

BiJzhTbCEAABLtc.jpg

https://twitter.com/wbaltv11

That is so sad to hear rhat the 11 yr old found her mom dead in her bedroom. That will stay with her forever, poor sweetheart.

Weird. I wonder where this was taken and by whom. It seems to be taken from another car's window or by a street cam.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ula
Back