MD - Forbes “30 Under 30” CEO Pava LaPere, 26, found with blunt-force trauma, Baltimore, 25 September 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is something called "Good credit" where a prisoner gets credit for alleged good conduct- he apparently had accumulated enough "good credit" so he got out much earlier than his sentence. It is disgusting. I am from Michigan and I googled and found out that good credits have been eliminated from the State Prison system; that should be eliminated from all prison systems. Billingsley had a criminal history- I guess that does not matter if you know how to play the system you can get released from prison years before your sentence would be up and even earlier than parole would allow. I want to barf.

I’ve heard of good behavior credit but wow.

I did find this document that goes into detail on diminution credit in Maryland. It says that credit can’t be awarded if a prisoner was convicted of certain sexual offenses and it says the rate at which a prisoner earns the credit is 5 days per month. So if he only served 10 years of a 30 year sentence, how the heck was he already eligible for release even with good behavior credit? That math isn’t adding up.

I wonder if there was some kind of clerical error that led to his release. I hope it gets investigated!

Last edited:
So he had been in a state prison, not a federal prison?

This guy had quite a record of violence, I wonder what sequence of events lead up to him getting released so early. Parole board says he wasn’t granted early parole.
Yes, he was in a state prison, not federal.

I believe the was granted early release via creative math through a "good time" program.

These programs allow a convict to "buy back" time for every successful "good time" year they complete (probably defined as: Convict did not kill anybody last year, so.... he has a year of "good time").

The good time program that led to his release could of allowed for a 3: 1 buy back: Each year of good time equates to 3 years of time bought back. Thus 30 year sentence, but out in 10.

I’ve heard of good behavior credit but wow.

I did find this document that goes into detail on diminution credit in Maryland. It says that credit can’t be awarded if a prisoner was convicted of certain sexual offenses and it says the rate at which a prisoner earns the credit is 5 days per month. So if he only served 10 years of a 30 year sentence, how the heck was he already eligible for release even with good behavior credit? That math isn’t adding up.

I wonder if there was some kind of clerical error that led to his release. I hope it gets investigated!

It was reported earlier, the judge suspended 16 years of his sentence.

This was likely because he plead guilty and possibly showed remorse. Plus, he was age 22, 20, and 18 when he'd committed his offenses, and possibly been caught up with drugs, bad family, the usual. Probably there was a hope he would reform his life, because that 16 year sentence was hanging over his head if he didn't. Many people do. And he did appear to have done it, model prisoner, etc. But instead, he threw away his chance. Did he deserve that 2nd (3rd, 4th) chance? Hindsight is 20/20.

JMO

Gotcha, but I would hope the definition might be different in news reporting from real estate advertising as it might affect the perception of the wealth of the individual which might go toward motive. Just my thoughts.
I don't think money was a factor in this instance, jmo. I suspect it was a crime of opportunity. Her being female was the fit with his priors and the crimes in which he is a suspect.

It was reported earlier, the judge suspended 16 years of his sentence.

This was likely because he plead guilty and possibly showed remorse. Plus, he was age 22, 20, and 18 when he'd committed his offenses, and possibly been caught up with drugs, bad family, the usual. Probably there was a hope he would reform his life, because that 16 year sentence was hanging over his head if he didn't. Many people do. And he did appear to have done it, model prisoner, etc. But instead, he threw away his chance. Did he deserve that 2nd (3rd, 4th) chance? Hindsight is 20/20.

JMO
I missed the part about the suspended sentence, thanks. So half his sentence was suspended even though his offense was that he raped a woman at knifepoint (and it was his THIRD violent offense). And then he still got out another four years earlier due to whatever credit program they had in place. That is awful. I could see awarding time off for good behavior if a person is in jail for something non-violent in nature, but for violent crimes, the sentence should be the sentence. (MOO of course)

I don't think money was a factor in this instance, jmo. I suspect it was a crime of opportunity. Her being female was the fit with his priors and the crimes in which he is a suspect.
I watched this report about the attack followed by arson, that may have been committed by the same suspect.

A resident says that building has poor security, people leave doors unlocked, lots of people stay there who don't live there...

So, when there are probably lots of places like that to cause mayhem, why go after someone inside a building where there obviously is good security - cameras, alarms, neighbour's who recognize someone as not belonging? That part is unusual, IMO.

BALTIMORE — The mother of the suspect sought in the slaying of a Baltimore tech CEO said she spoke with her son over text message Tuesday and urged him to surrender.

“I told him to turn himself in because they’re going to kill him,” said Scarlett Billingsley, 72, who spoke to NBC News on Wednesday afternoon. She identified herself as the mother of Jason Billingsley, 32, who's wanted on first-degree murder and other charges in the death of 26-year-old Pava LaPere, CEO and founder of EcoMap Technologies.

“I don’t want police to shoot him because they think he has a gun," Scarlett Billingsley added.
[snip]
Scarlett Billingsley said she last saw her son Monday when he was over at her home for a few minutes.
[snip]
She said her son showed her a gun Monday, but said she believes he’s trying to sell it.
Mom of suspect in slaying of Baltimore tech CEO, 26, urges her son to surrender

if he is texting it means he has a phone and his mom knows the number. Wonder if LE is trying to get warrant for cell phone to track it's pings.

Edmondson & w franklin run parallel west of her building at 306 w franklin.
The part of edmondson/ w franklin that he is from is considered, west baltimore.
West baltimore is bad area, lots of vacant homes and crime. Mt vernon is/was nice, but where her building is, is very close to west baltimore.walking distance is 23 minutes. He’s probably back in west baltimore somewhere, maybe got a ride out.

Jmo

Wonder if she is an adoptive mother of some sort? 50 year age difference seems unlikely? Possible, I suppose. I hope he is in custody soon.

Hard to believe he was hanging with "mom" after this crime.
I watched this report about the attack followed by arson, that may have been committed by the same suspect.

A resident says that building has poor security, people leave doors unlocked, lots of people stay there who don't live there...

So, when there are probably lots of places like that to cause mayhem, why go after someone inside a building where there obviously is good security - cameras, alarms, neighbour's who recognize someone as not belonging? That part is unusual, IMO.
There is a Yelp review of her building that mentions significant security issues prior to the homicide, particularly with locks, people in building and functioning of cameras. These big buildings have a lot of people in and out, including food delivery people and it's common for someone to follow in and not be challenged, or to watch the code typed in. If you don't live in a large NE city, don't be deflected by stainless steel appliances or words in a real estate description, they are not very secure, only as secure as the last rushing Uber Eats guy who may not notice someone watching him put in code, who may not care if someone grabs the door behind him, etc. He could possibly have posed as a food delivery guy, or door may have been propped. RIP to the victim, a terrible loss.

$6k reward. Seems awfully low considering how clearly dangerous he is? At least 10k… however should be more like 20k surely??
Wow, that is really surprising. And yes, very, very dangerous. I hope the family who is hospitalized has some kind of guard.

are there security cameras? anything that would prevent him from following her in or doing some kind of delivery and staying in the building?

6'4" and 305 lbs... BTW do people think he attacked her because she was famous or just went after anyone anyone he ran across?

My theory he targeted the building or saw her and followed her to the building.
But maybe he did see her in the media and researched her first, stalked her.

The body of a Baltimore tech entrepreneur found beaten to death on Monday in her luxury apartment complex was discovered on the roof of the building, sources told DailyMail.com.
Body of Pava LaPere, 26, found on roof of her posh Baltimore apt

The body of tech CEO Pava LaPere was discovered on the roof of her swanky Baltimore apartment building after she was beaten to death
[snip]
She was reported to have been found dead inside her swanky Mount Vernon apartment, but sources close to the investigation told the Baltimore Banner that her badly beaten and partially clothed body was actually discovered on the building’s roof.
Slain Baltimore tech CEO Pava LaPere was found on her roof, suspect eyed in knifepoint sex attack days earlier: reports

Police found LaPere’s partially clothed body with signs of blunt-force trauma on the roof of her apartment building in the 300 block of West Franklin Street in the Mount Vernon neighborhood late Monday morning, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation. LaPere, 26, had been reported missing earlier that day.
Convicted sex offender wanted in killing of rising tech star Pava LaPere

Why the roof? Did he catch her by surprise somewhere inside the building and force her to the roof? Is there space for tenant use up there? How did this man access the building in the first place?

How horrible for her family.

Maybe he was living up there, or she went up there to take photos/meditate/read or?

Or did he follow or order her up there with a weapon?

Maybe he was living up there, or she went up there to take photos/meditate/read or?

Or did he follow or order her up there with a weapon?
It would be helpful to know what the roof is like. Is there an area for tenants to use as a common space? Did she have a private space up there? Or is it a regular ol' roof with nothing but some utility stuff and tenants don't venture up there.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back