MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a bit suspect that the officers did not secure FG with the seatbelt because of a concern for their own safety but had no trouble taking him out of the van and putting him in leg shackles.

Here's a generic pic of a Baltimore police van with someone in the back: http://www.haaretz.com/polopoly_fs/..._gen/derivatives/landscape_640/2354652940.jpg There is a narrow right side and a narrow left side separated by a solid metal partition, leaving very, very little floor space imo. It seems to me an officer would have difficulty getting into the van with an arrestee, so would stay outside and help the arrestee onto the seat. Looks like seatbelting someone would involve the officer stretching his arm across the chest of the seated person, who could easily bend down and bite the arm, even while shackled. Just guessing though; maybe there's a way to do it without risking infection. Getting him out would be easy if he was seated or prone on the floor ... and not belted in.

Here's a generic pic of a Baltimore police van with someone in the back: http://www.haaretz.com/polopoly_fs/..._gen/derivatives/landscape_640/2354652940.jpg There is a narrow right side and a narrow left side separated by a solid metal partition, leaving very, very little floor space imo. It seems to me an officer would have difficulty getting into the van with an arrestee, so would stay outside and help the arrestee onto the seat. Looks like seatbelting someone would involve the officer stretching his arm across the chest of the seated person, who could easily bend down and bite the arm, even while shackled. Just guessing though; maybe there's a way to do it without risking infection.

They need to find another way...

BPD was filming the arrests last night. Each person arrested was secured one by one in the van. Now granted, the people were not out of control or attempting to harm the officers. It does not seem that they put that many people in the vans so why not modify the vans so there is room for officers to secure arrestees in a safe way-- safe for the officer and the arrestee.

I am not sure if we can still discuss the relative of the officer who came forward and did interviews because she was unidentified and her face was hidden but...the relative said that the police van has GPS in it and it shows how fast and stuff the vehicle goes. If that is the case, I think they would be able to see if he purposely took roads that have more potholes and if he was speeding and slamming on the breaks.

Links to some of her interviews
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-officer-account/
http://m.wbaltv.com/news/exclusive-suspended-officers-relative-speaks-out/32649894

I agree. It's a bad design. There is barely any room for an officer to come in and secure the seat belt. Maybe they need to have a bar come down like in amusement park instead of a seat belt, so officer doesn't have to come up close to the suspect.

I am not sure if we can still discuss the relative of the officer who came forward and did interviews because she was unidentified and her face was hidden but...the relative said that the police van has GPS in it and it shows how fast and stuff the vehicle goes. If that is the case, I think they would be able to see if he purposely took roads that have more potholes and if he was speeding and slamming on the breaks.

Links to some of her interviews
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-officer-account/
http://m.wbaltv.com/news/exclusive-suspended-officers-relative-speaks-out/32649894

No way that is allowed. No unknown sources.

i agree. It's a bad design. There is barely any room for an officer to come in and secure the seat belt. Maybe they need to have a bar come down like in amusement park instead of a seat belt, so officer doesn't have to come up close to the suspect.

excellent idea!!!

I want to know the real reason they were after him that day. "Making eye contact" just doesn't cut it for me. They were after him for a reason. JMO

From what I've heard on Fox, and AGAIN it's all speculation... Gray was dealing drugs and he was in the middle of a deal when he made eye contact with the cop. They both ran. There were 4 cops and 2 went after Gray, 2 went after the other guy. They were both caught.

So, it was a little more than eye contact. But, as many have said on CNN, in high crime rate areas (this is the worst in Baltimore) if you run from the police they can stop you. But, there has to be a reason for them to arrest you. Of course Mosby is saying the knife was legal. But, it's going to have to be part of their defense that the knife was illegal, and I guarantee it comes down to the words of the statute "or other device".

Also, on Hannity a friend of all the cops (and an officer themselves) say that Gray had heroin in his system, and his bail bondsman claims that Freddie didn't do drugs. So, it's speculated that as he ran from cops he swallowed his stash. Which will also play a major part in the defense if it's true.

But, there's really no solid info that's been released.

I agree. It's a bad design. There is barely any room for an officer to come in and secure the seat belt. Maybe they need to have a bar come down like in amusement park instead of a seat belt, so officer doesn't have to come up close to the suspect.

Let's assess a fee for this for every criminal that is convicted.

From what I've heard on Fox, and AGAIN it's all speculation... Gray was dealing drugs and he was in the middle of a deal when he made eye contact with the cop. They both ran. There were 4 cops and 2 went after Gray, 2 went after the other guy. They were both caught.

So, it was a little more than eye contact. But, as many have said on CNN, in high crime rate areas (this is the worst in Baltimore) if you run from the police they can stop you. But, there has to be a reason for them to arrest you. Of course Mosby is saying the knife was legal. But, it's going to have to be part of their defense that the knife was illegal, and I guarantee it comes down to the words of the statute "or other device".

Also, on Hannity a friend of all the cops (and an officer themselves) say that Gray had heroin in his system, and his bail bondsman claims that Freddie didn't do drugs. So, it's speculated that as he ran from cops he swallowed his stash. Which will also play a major part in the defense if it's true.

If they were both caught, isn't it strange the other guy wasn't placed in the van too?

I just want to say this about the seat belt. Yes, everyone should be seat belted in, in every vehicle. But, before seat belts became the law, I know of NOONE that used them. I sure didn't. Some of my earlier cars I removed them. There aren't seat belts on buses or public transportation. I've been in the back of trucks with boxes without a seat.

Of course we weren't handcuffed or shackled. But, Gray wouldn't have been shackled had he accepted he was going to jail.

If these officers are guilty of crimes, then they deserve to go to jail. There is nothing worse than an officer abusing their power. But, I'm so sick and tired of the moronic masses jumping up and down screaming when a ******* does something illegal, gets caught and they decide to resist, fight, and do everything possible to make it difficult for the officers that might just be doing their job. It's this behavior that assists officers in not being charged. It will be this behavior that helps them be found not guilty when they eventually go to trial.

I needed the facts of this case (even though it's early and I know there isn't much yet) and I don't trust the media. No matter what, WS is always (ALWAYS) my go-to website for accurate information. I may have been gone for a minute but I always come back here for the truth. THANK YOU!

They don't secure kids in seat belts on school buses. I don't see why it would even be a necessity for a prisoner.

They don't secure kids in seat belts on school buses. I don't see why it would even be a necessity for a prisoner.

Not having seat belts in school buses has been a huge concern of mine for 20 years and I've complained about it to everyone----- from the school board to the state legislators but nothing is done. Last year a school bus in a near by town collided with a train and every single child was ejected from the bus and either died or was seriously injured.

re: new design for vans --- like amusement park ride w auto-bar-restraint

Let's assess a fee for this for every criminal that is convicted.

How is this fee going to be assessed? Against who? All crim convictions? Or just felonies? Or?

If there was a suspected/witnessed drug deal, TRUST that the arrest paperwork would have stated it. It only mentioned the knife, which was only found after he was caught.

I needed the facts of this case (even though it's early and I know there isn't much yet) and I don't trust the media. No matter what, WS is always (ALWAYS) my go-to website for accurate information. I may have been gone for a minute but I always come back here for the truth. THANK YOU!
f

I feel the same way. Imbedded in that is both confsion and frustration. If we can all, in like the first 3-4 days of a stor y sort it out how come the media cant, its numbing at how wrong they get and how as each story does play out we all are pretty on target with the basic facts.

“Our position is something happened inside that van,” the [union rep] lawyer, Michael E. Davey, said at a news conference last week. “We just don’t know what.”

I dont understand these statements. The van is operated and utilized by suppossedly trained LE folks. Peroid. That translates to the police invovlved witht touching what was a totally healthhy 25 year old (good runner apparently) man . That man is now dead.

Its like saying the passengers on United flight that crashed - United is resposible for those people.

I dont get what this statement is suppossed to imply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13