MD MD - Frederick, WhtFem 17-45, UP7477, in steamer trunk in state park, Spondylolysis, Aug'82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I received a message from Curt Lege saying that he did not think that the UID was Jeanne Scrima because the UID was not believed to have children and Jeanne Scrima had four.

Well then, even if we have a "not likely", we got a valuable bit of info that wasn't offered up before (AFAIK). The Jane Doe was not believed to have given birth.

There was a lot of discussion earlier in this thread that LE thought Virginia Welch was a good possible, but they couldn't find any identifiers on her. I wonder if they were ever able to rule her out.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/welch_virginia.html

welch_virginia.jpg
welch_virginia2.jpg
uid.jpg

The first photo of Virginia Welch on Charley Project looks like she has a small gap between her two front teeth, but that could just be a bad photo.

I was on NamUs looking for a possible match to this UID. I found Patricia Vaughan, who is from Fairfield CT, but was last known activity was to be in Mathias, WV on May 15, 1982.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/3292/0/

NamUs does not provide a picture of Patricia.
She was 19 when she went missing. (age is within range)
She is listed as being 5'5 (an inch over the estimate of the UID)
Her weight is listed as being 120lbs (UID is listed between 100-130lbs)
Patricia hair color is listed as brown (just like the UID)
NamUs states that her dentals are available (the UID has a lot of dental restorations, it should be an easy rule out??)

If Patricia was last known to be in Mathias WV, maybe she wanted to go back to CT and hitched a ride. Frederick MD is close to a lot of interstates, which could lead up to CT. The distance between Mathias WV and Frederick is about 111 miles..

What do you all think? Should I submit this?

I was on NamUs looking for a possible match to this UID. I found Patricia Vaughan, who is from Fairfield CT, but was last known activity was to be in Mathias, WV on May 15, 1982.

NamUs does not provide a picture of Patricia.
She was 19 when she went missing. (age is within range)
She is listed as being 5'5 (an inch over the estimate of the UID)
Her weight is listed as being 120lbs (UID is listed between 100-130lbs)
Patricia hair color is listed as brown (just like the UID)
NamUs states that her dentals are available (the UID has a lot of dental restorations, it should be an easy rule out??)

If Patricia was last known to be in Mathias WV, maybe she wanted to go back to CT and hitched a ride. Frederick MD is close to a lot of interstates, which could lead up to CT. The distance between Mathias WV and Frederick is about 111 miles..

What do you all think? Should I submit this?

I checked Classmates for all of 5 high schools in Fairfield. None of them have 1978-1981 yearbooks in Classmates, except Roger Ludlowe HS 1978. She isn't in that book.

She probably went to Andrew Warde HS or Fairfield HS. Classmates has the AWHS 1982 book and a few from 1957-1971. For FHS they have only the 1966 book.

I checked Classmates for all of 5 high schools in Fairfield. None of them have 1978-1981 yearbooks in Classmates, except Roger Ludlowe HS 1978. She isn't in that book.

She probably went to Andrew Warde HS or Fairfield HS. Classmates has the AWHS 1982 book and a few from 1957-1971. For FHS they have only the 1966 book.

When I googled Patricia's name, I found an Obituary for an Oran Vaughan, which said he is survived by a daughter Patricia Vaughan. He passed away in June of 2009, Patricia's NamUs profile was added in Dec 2009. Wonder if this is the same person? Oran was from East Hartford CT, which is about 60 miles north of Fairfield Here is the link.http://farleysullivan.com/Obituaries/obit-display.jhtml?DB=obits&DO=display&ID=133

On another note, in Oran's Obit, it doesn't list where Patricia is residing, but it does about his other children....

Carl,

Can you check the Hartford CT yearbooks?

The obit also mentions a son whose name starts with K. Classmates lists a K Vaughan who went to Penney HS in East Hartford, Class of 85, but for Penney HS, Classmates has the 77 yearbook, but none from 78-81.

I'd say call this one in, although it would be nice if we had a photo. I did a newspaper search hoping something would pop up, but no luck.

I could call the LE number listed on NamUs to see if they can tell us more about her, if you think that would accomplish anything.

I just left a message for Detective Curt Lege, who is listed as the contact for the UID. Hopefully he will call me back...

I just left a message for Detective Curt Lege, who is listed as the contact for the UID. Hopefully he will call me back...

Great, I hope he's helpful.

I noticed on Patricia's NamUs entry that she wasn't reported missing until 1995, so obviously this isn't someone with close ties to family/friends. Although her last known activity was in WV, that may or may not be where she disappeared from.

FYI, here's a map showing Matthias, WV - not much there.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Mathias&state=WV

He just called me back!! :woohoo:

I gave him Patricia's NamUs Missing Person's Number and he said he is going to contact the people in charge of her case to see if he can get dentals!!

He was very nice and said he is taking all tips seriously because he wants this 30 year old case solved.

Webrocket, I said to the detective that I am glad he called me back, and he said about NamUs telling him about the volunteer people like us making matches for 3 of the Ohio UID's.. LOL

This UID had cement posts mentioned in her dentals. What kind of dental work would these support?

I received an e-mail today saying that the Jeanne Scrima has been ruled out completely because her dentals do not match the unidentified woman in the trunk.

Ambercat,
Was Detective Lege the one who emailed you back about the rule out of Jeanne Scrima? He told me last week when he is able get Patricia Vaughan's dentals and make a ruling he will either email me or call me back? So far I haven't heard anything (it's only been a week) I hope he was able to get Patricia's dentals!!! I am just glad someone is working to try to find the identity of this girl!

Ambercat,
Was Detective Lege the one who emailed you back about the rule out of Jeanne Scrima? He told me last week when he is able get Patricia Vaughan's dentals and make a ruling he will either email me or call me back? So far I haven't heard anything (it's only been a week) I hope he was able to get Patricia's dentals!!! I am just glad someone is working to try to find the identity of this girl!

No, the e-mail I received about the dentals was from Senior Investigator Kim M Law from NYS ViCAP.

I did get an e-mail from Detective Lege earlier (about a week ago) saying he didn't think the woman in the trunk was Jeanne Scrima because the lady in the trunk probably never had children. That was the last I heard from him.

I just spoke with Detective Lege from the Frederick MD PD. He said that he submitted Patricia Vaughan's name and info to the medical examiner and they will be able to make the ruling. He said each time they make a definite rule out, they have been adding them to the ruleout list on NamUs. (it was last updated June 15th) He said he has gotten so many tip, he sounded a little overwhelmed, but yet glad he is getting so many.

I found this story about the UID, pics are attached of her skull... she had ALOT of dental work!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154295/police-release-new-sketch-mysterious-cheerleader-trunk-30-years-grisly-murder.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back