Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BEL AIR, Md. (WBFF) — The search is on for the man suspected of murdering 37-year-old Rachel Morin in Bel Air earlier this month.

Now, a reward may soon be on the table to help find the suspected killer.

“Our Criminal Investigations Division is currently working with metro crime stoppers in reference to a reward,” a spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff’s Office said in an email to FOX45 News on Monday.

No details were shared about how much the reward might be or when an announcement could come.

We don't know why DNA was collected during an incident in LA. It doesn't really matter. The important evidence is the DNA and the CCTV of the suspect.

That evidence was released for the sole purpose of identifying the suspect in connection with the murder of Rachel.

I am surprised that there has not yet been an arrest. The man should be easily recognizable by family, girlfriends, roommates, friends.

We don't know why DNA was collected during an incident in LA. It doesn't really matter. The important evidence is the DNA and the CCTV of the suspect.

That evidence was released for the sole purpose of identifying the suspect in connection with the murder of Rachel.

I am surprised that there has not yet been an arrest. The man should be easily recognizable by family, girlfriends, roommates, friends.
I’m hoping tomorrow. Somebody knows something more.

I agree 100%. However, I'm not surprised there hasn't been an arrest. Not everyone pays attention to the news etc.

I think he left blood evidence that led to lE easily getting dna. Originally, it was suspected it was a sexual assault but LAPD said differently. They are going to get him and it’s gonna be soon IMO

I think he left blood evidence that led to lE easily getting dna. Originally, it was suspected it was a sexual assault but LAPD said differently. They are going to get him and it’s gonna be soon IMO
I fear that finding him may prove to be far more difficult than identifying him. We know that, based on DNA evidence, he travelled from Southern California to Maryland within a period of 6 months or less. This crime took place over two weeks ago. He could be anywhere in the United States at this point, or could have even fled the country. I do hope that he will be apprehended soon, before he can strike someone else, but I do think LE need help from the public in finding him. Perhaps one of the many tips coming in now will be the one tip they need. JMO

But it doesn't really matter why DNA and CCTV footage was collected. Fortunately it was. Because it was collected, we know what Rachel's murderer looks like.

Now we wait for someone who knows him - like his family - to come forward with his name.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Identifying the perp is going to come down to genealogy DNA.

And that takes time.

Then there’s the whole matter of actually finding him after he’s identified.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Identifying the perp is going to come down to genealogy DNA.

And that takes time.

Then there’s the whole matter of actually finding him after he’s identified.
Good point. He will eventually be identified through familial DNA, because local law permits investigators to access DNA banks without family permission if notifying family could compromise the investigation.

It won't look good for people who know him if that's what it takes to identify him. He has a distinctive build, and someone in his family knows that he was in LA during the time in question.

Good point. He will eventually be identified through familial DNA, because local law permits investigators to access DNA banks without family permission if notifying family could compromise the investigation.

It won't look good for people who know him if that's what it takes to identify him. He has a distinctive build, and someone in his family knows that he was in LA during the time in question.
Somebody knows this young man. They know he was in LA then travelled to MD. His family needs to speak up. His look, even from the back, is distinctive enough to identify. That scalp fade is identifiable.

A composit would help too. Probably might go ahead and let us know if they have other camera footage of him from that night , maybe see if the locals have video from that night etc. It was not that far back .
I dunno I guess it seems like to me ,that LE either thinks they know who he is and are watching him but he does not know yet . They probably parked by his trash can and scooping out pizza crust ,right now.

AUG 22, 2023
[...]

That profile can be matched with another DNA sample taken directly from a person to potentially link them to a crime scene. In many cases, police already have a suspect from whom to take a sample and validate their findings. In Morin’s case, police don’t have that.

[...]

... The FBI maintains CODIS, the United States’ database, which was used to link Morin’s homicide to the burglary in Los Angeles.

DNA profiles must meet the FBI’s stringent quality standards to be entered into the national database, Moran said. At the national level, CODIS only accepts “full” profiles containing information from 20 specific areas, and does not allow low-quality samples or mixtures of different DNA. The database also includes reference profiles associated with people who are convicted of crimes, she said.

[...]

A hit in CODIS can help detectives apply for a search warrant for additional DNA tests, on certain evidence or on a person, said Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Anne Colt Leitess.

The prosecutor noted that a pair of unknown profiles can also help investigators obtain a court order for genetic genealogy analysis, a moderately controversial forensic practice that compares DNA evidence against consumer databases like Ancestry and GEDmatch.

[...]

1692710158528.jpeg
Investigators say the suspect is believed to have ties to the Los Angeles area and may have been involved in violent crimes in other states.

“I hope they found this scum of the earth,” Morin's boyfriend, Richard Tobin, wrote on Facebook following the release of the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knotty70