Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend my daughter took me to the beach for my birthday. This beach is Surf City, NC. Camp Lejeune is only a few miles down the road and lots of Marines were on the beach. Their haircuts looked a lot like this guy's hair. California has a naval base, Maryland has a Naval base. Could he be in the Navy? Never mind, if they have DNA then they would already have his name wouldn't they?
My 22 yr old son and most of his friends have this same "fade" hairstyle, made popular by military regulation haircuts.

Last weekend my daughter took me to the beach for my birthday. This beach is Surf City, NC. Camp Lejeune is only a few miles down the road and lots of Marines were on the beach. Their haircuts looked a lot like this guy's hair. California has a naval base, Maryland has a Naval base. Could he be in the Navy? Never mind, if they have DNA then they would already have his name wouldn't they?

ETA; JMO but his body style also appeared to look a lot like the young Marines who were on the beach. I stared at them a lot thinking about this case of course, LOL.
My first thought, based on his hair, his build and his gait, this guy looks like he’s in the military.

I’m not sure why we are assuming that the arm shutting the door is the arm of the victim? It could literally be anyone who lives there or who was visiting there.
I think many people think that the arm shutting the door is the arm of the victim because the victim is the only person other than the perp that we KNOW was in the house. It could have been anyone, but we do not know that anyone else was at home when the assault took place.

But again, whoever the arm closing the door belongs to, THAT person has NOTHING to do with Rachel Morin's murder, so for our sleuthing purposes, we do not need to know whose arm it is. JMO

exactly what I was saying. He looks military to me.
I think he does too. Aberdeen Proving Ground is about 20 minutes away. It is an Army base, my daughter both lives and works there as a civilian. Security is pretty tight, when I go to visit, they check ID, run your name thru everything. Unless things have changed, this base has classes for military from all over which last several weeks. He could have been here taking a class, or in CA taking a class. There's another base close to Aberdeen, Edgewood Arsenal, I'm not familiar with what they do now. That's the base that used to do testing on people a long time ago.

My wife (whose dad was a private detective) thought/intuited: physical guy, gym rat, narcissist, gold chain, Edgar haircut, no tattoos... male model? Models are pretty much forbidden from getting tattoos (which are more common in military, gangs [why?], other groups that have also been suggested). But I looked up images for about 200 positive hits on "Hispanic male model Los Angeles Edgar haircut twenties" and no visual matches. (Sigh.)

If they do and they allow their database to be cross-reference then we could assume he is not military- unless they don’t input the data into CODIS.
I don't think this guy is military, because they would have obtained a CODIS hit in the "known" DNA section of the database. The LA match was from the "unknown" portion.

Last edited:
Can police use military DNA?

Today all DNA samples collected from the military are included in CODIS. CODIS, an acronym for Combined DNA Index System, is a national DNA database originally intended for the collection of DNA profiles of offenders convicted of particular crimes.

The military DNA collection program

In January 1995 Corporal Joseph Vlacovsky and Lance Corporal John Mayfield III, two Marines stationed at the Kaneohe base near Honolulu, were ordered to provide blood and cheek epithelial cell samples as part of the military’s mandatory genetic testing programme. Their DNA samples would be stored at the Department of Defense DNA Repository in order to facilitate the efficient identification of the remains of soldiers killed in battle. They refused to comply and were court-martialled for violating an order from their superior officer (Mayfield v. Dalton 1995). They became ‘the first DNA conscientious objectors’. The Department of Defense (DOD) began collecting blood and tissue from every person in the military services in 1992. Included in this programme are all active duty and reserve personnel as well as civilian employees and contractors, even though these persons are much less likely to become unknown soldiers.

The tissue is collected, analysed, and then stored in the DOD’s DNA Repository in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Each individual is provided with two sealed plastic cards that have a fingerprint, signature, blood stain and oral swab, and a bar code; the cost of this kit, pencil included, is $3.00 (not including the cost of analysing the DNA). DNA samples are vacuum sealed and frozen to ensure their survival for 40 years. When needed, bits of bodies can be identified by matching their DNA to the DNA identification. By 2001, over 4 million tissue samples from military personnel will be in the Maryland repository. It is the largest DNA bank in the world.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...t=Dalton 1995).,the military services in 1992.

Rachel Morin murder: Maryland sheriff says suspect on the loose could strike again​

The prime suspect in Maryland mother of five Rachel Morin's grisly murder could attack more people if he isn't caught, an official told Fox News Digital.

"This individual poses a threat to every community from here to Los Angeles because we don’t know where he’s laying his head at night," said Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler.

Gahler believes the suspect has likely committed other acts of violence.

"I just don’t believe you do two things that are so serious in nature and that’s your starting point. Most likely you’ve been involved in other crimes," he told Fox News Digital.

“It’s very likely someone knows him around there and someone knows him here," he said.

AUG 22, 2023
A $2,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest of Rachel Morin's killer.

Metro Crime Stoppers are asking for any tips or leads that would direct police to the suspect.

[...]

Metro Crime Stoppers offers $2,000 reward in Rachel Morin murder in Harford County

AUG 22, 2023
A $2,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest of Rachel Morin's killer.

Metro Crime Stoppers are asking for any tips or leads that would direct police to the suspect.

[...]

Metro Crime Stoppers offers $2,000 reward in Rachel Morin murder in Harford County
$2k, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member