Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here’s the booking photo for Victor Martinez-Hernandez, the 23-year-old suspect from El Salvador accused of killing Rachel Morin in Harford County.

He was denied bail today and is scheduled to be back in court on July 18 for his preliminary hearing.
This is the first picture that actually looks like what the guy in the LA video would look like facing front. The guy is truly a chameleon.

Rachel was found 70 yds. off the main trail in a tunnel.

Just like he said in the video, I don't know how he could possibly have gotten her that far off the trail into that tunnel without getting the attention of someone! Wouldn't she have been screaming her head off? Or could he have somehow incapacitated her immediately while still on or just off the trail? I can't see her going willingly with him, but maybe if he had a good story or seemed harmless enough, maybe.

So his family members who he lived with in Maryland for six months, didn’t put two and two together I guess. At keast until LE came knocking. I think we have an explanation on how they came to know he was in Tulsa though.
any clues...
the trip to Tulsa still has me confused.
I just keep thinking it was where more scattered relatives were.
moo.
I have a hunch family knew it was him.
Immigrants, legal or not, are hesitant to go to LE.
So, I wonder if the MD relatives strongly suggested he leave for Tulsa.
moo

Strange thing is, according to the charging statement, Hernandez had been staying with his family members in Maryland from December of 2023 to May of 2024. This was several months after Rachel was attacked and murdered in August of 2023. Where was he staying in early August of 2023 if he wasn't with those family members?

Definitely one of our "bingo" questions.

My thought is oerhaps at that time he was in Virginia? Maybe he was visiting the family when Rachel was killed? Wish we knew what city the family lives in.

We obviously know now of the "relatives" connection to MD.
I do remember a msm article specifically referenced ties to DC?
moo
Though the overall Capital region can include MD, DC, and VA....
I think the very specific reference to DC is critical.

Has any info been released about his connection to home in LA where he was seen on the Ring camera? Was it a random home invasion?
Nothing has come out yet regarding random or connected. moo
I assume that incident is so well documented, and they probably even have additional ring footage with their investigation. But, nothing has been brought up in msm that I know of.

Just like he said in the video, I don't know how he could possibly have gotten her that far off the trail into that tunnel without getting the attention of someone! Wouldn't she have been screaming her head off? Or could he have somehow incapacitated her immediately while still on or just off the trail? I can't see her going willingly with him, but maybe if he had a good story or seemed harmless enough, maybe.

Forced her by brandishing a weapon.

Great question. And have no ideas in this case.

That is why I worry of any individual jogging or running with headphones or ear buds in an outdoor park or remote location. Yes the phone is helpful in an emergency, and music can be pleasant. Yet some fear it can lead to distraction or possibly being unaware of someone nearby. MOO

FBI Special Agent in Charge William DelBagno of the Baltimore field office said DNA was used to trace potential relatives of Martinez-Hernandez in El Salvador. That helped identify and find him.

Martinez-Hernandez worked odd jobs and lived a “cheap life” that allowed him to drift from El Salvador to Los Angeles, as well as Bel Air in Harford County, Prince George’s County near Washington, to Virginia, and ultimately to Tulsa, Gahler said. Martinez-Hernandez is believed to have ties to street gangs and connections in the Washington area, Gahler said.

Maybe the relatives in ES told them where in Md he was it.

Charging documents for Victor Antonio Martinez Hernandez say that he had been staying with family members in Maryland until last month.

“The family also stated that Victor Hernandez had left around the beginning of May 2024 and never returned,” detectives wrote.

Snipped
They did not, however, indicate where in Maryland Hernandez had been staying.

Nothing has come out yet regarding random or connected. moo
I assume that incident is so well documented, and they probably even have additional ring footage with their investigation. But, nothing has been brought up in msm that I know of.
Thank you! I guess it doesn’t matter much since they have him now, but I’m just so curious about it. And worried about what else VMH might have done while in LA.

hit in the head with a rock. these people do not approach you and have a conversation- they knock you out first. IMO.

Could LE use suspect dna to open an account at 23&me and what hits they get that are relatives of suspect.?
Yes, they use the various public genealogy sites, that's the only way to access such a large pool of (non-criminal) individuals. I don't know about that specific site.

The first use was to identify the Golden State Killer, it was a somewhat under-handed 'crazy' idea a couple of cold-case detectives tried. It's now a recognized technique, supported by Othram and other DNA labs.

FBI Special Agent in Charge said DNA was used to trace potential relatives of Martinez-Hernandez in El Salvador. That helped identify and find him.
That surprises me: I wouldn't have thought all that many people in El Salvador are into tracing their genetic genealogy...So I suspect LE may have matched to other family members who's DNA was collected for criminal justice purposes.

JMO

Yes, they use the various public genealogy sites, that's the only way to access such a large pool of (non-criminal) individuals. I don't know about that specific site.

The first use was to identify the Golden State Killer, it was a somewhat under-handed 'crazy' idea a couple of cold-case detectives tried. It's now a recognized technique, supported by Othram and other DNA labs.

That surprises me: I wouldn't have thought all that many people in El Salvador are into tracing their genetic genealogy...So I suspect LE may have matched to other family members who's DNA was collected for criminal justice purposes.

JMO
The Morin family attorney in my link above stated he doesn't know exactly how they tracked him down. But surmised it had to do with finally obtaining his name, finding his family in Maryland - then using technology to track him to Tulsa. His family likely still communicated with him via cell phone after he left Maryland, IMO.

I rewatched the video of him exiting the home in Los Angeles again. He clearly had a cell phone then.

Detail of border crossings

JUN 22, 2024
U.S. Border Patrol agents apprehended Martinez-Hernandez on Jan. 19, 2023, in Santa Teresa, New Mexico and was deported to Mexico the same day, according to ICE. He was apprehended again on Jan. 31, 2023 near El Paso, Tx. and was expelled to Mexico. Border Patrol agents again apprehended Martinez-Hernandez on Feb. 6, 2023 near the same town in New Mexico, and again was sent to Mexico using Title 42.

On Feb. 13, 2023, ICE said Martinez-Hernandez entered the United States unlawfully near El Paso, Tx. A month or so later, police say he attacked a woman and a nine-year-old girl in Los Angeles. Then in August 2023, Rachel Morin was killed, her body was found along the Ma and Pa Trail in Harford County. Investigators used DNA evidence to connect Martinez-Hernandez to the Rachel Morin case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back