ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all very good questions, and very important ones also.

DHHS needs to examine their actions in this case, and make adjustments to the policies that allowed Ayla to slip through the cracks into an unsafe environment. I definitely believe Ayla should have remained with Trista's sister, instead of being placed with an immature father who had never cared for her on a daily basis, and probably knew little to nothing about the demands of raising a toddler.
Ayla was safe in the care of her aunt. Why was she moved to an unfamiliar place to be with a dad she barely knew?

The bio parent will always get first preference according to DHHS. If there is no history with the non-custodial parent, they will give custody to that person. I think the philosophy is that the child will always benefit with their parent over anyone else.

MayaBluez, just wanted to say :welcome5:

This case is making me so nervous and uncomfortable...as though nothing will ever be able to be proven and Ayla never found. I can't believe it has been over 3 years for Haleigh now, a case with so many similarities to me. I think LE is dealing with seasoned liars in both cases, IMO.

It seems as though LE should have had back all of their results from testing two months ago...is there nothing more definitive? Even if there is microscopic splatter, how can they prove with such tiny amounts of blood that Ayla is dead? All that would show, if a jury believed the experts, if that she was at one time injured in such a way to cause splatter. Unless they have enough blood to be able to declare she could not have survived, I fear this case will be one of those that remains in limbo, dealing with people who will never tell the truth. JMO

DHHS needs to examine their actions in this case, and make adjustments to the policies that allowed Ayla to slip through the cracks into an unsafe environment. I definitely believe Ayla should have remained with Trista's sister, instead of being placed with an immature father who had never cared for her on a daily basis, and probably knew little to nothing about the demands of raising a toddler.
Ayla was safe in the care of her aunt. Why was she moved to an unfamiliar place to be with a dad she barely knew?

EllaMae ~ I wholeheartedly agree, but I doubt if DHHS is going to accept any responsibility. They will just claim that they were following the law by (removing Ayla from a home where she was loved and safe) placing Ayla in the hands of her father.

Nationwide, it appears that problems exist with children's protective services due to the lack of realistic guidelines. Their ultimate goal of returning children to their bio families is a misguided pollyanna-like vision. A huge problem is the lack of funding needed for thorough investigations. Decisions are being made that are not in the best interest of thew children.

It is my fear that this "reunification" goal has claimed yet another victim.

IMHO

BBM
But to be fair to the social workers, Trista had been in a drunken brawl with her sister. So maybe they worried that Ayla was not in the best place there for the time being. Something could have happened there, and then everyone would have said, WHY wasn't she given to her father, and not left with the people that had a drunken fight with the mother?

I feel that the case workers are often in a no win situation when having to make emergency decisions like this.

This case is making me so nervous and uncomfortable...as though nothing will ever be able to be proven and Ayla never found. I can't believe it has been over 3 years for Haleigh now, a case with so many similarities to me. I think LE is dealing with seasoned liars in both cases, IMO.

It seems as though LE should have had back all of their results from testing two months ago...is there nothing more definitive? Even if there is microscopic splatter, how can they prove with such tiny amounts of blood that Ayla is dead? All that would show, if a jury believed the experts, if that she was at one time injured in such a way to cause splatter. Unless they have enough blood to be able to declare she could not have survived, I fear this case will be one of those that remains in limbo, dealing with people who will never tell the truth. JMO

BBM ~ Too many parents are walking around free while their children's bodies lie hidden away. These evil people will never tell the truth because they think they can outwait the justice system. They are gutless cowards. They are soul-dead and have no right to life the rest of their life free of restraints.

IMO

EllaMae ~ I wholeheartedly agree, but I doubt if DHHS is going to accept any responsibility. They will just claim that they were following the law by (removing Ayla from a home where she was loved and safe) placing Ayla in the hands of her father.

Nationwide, it appears that problems exist with children's protective services due to the lack of realistic guidelines. Their ultimate goal of returning children to their bio families is a misguided pollyanna-like vision. A huge problem is the lack of funding needed for thorough investigations. Decisions are being made that are not in the best interest of thew children.

It is my fear that this "reunification" goal has claimed yet another victim.

IMHO

I agree! Reunification is not and will not work in many of these cases, when will they realize that? Many people defend them with they are over worked and understaffed. IMO the reunification policy is the reason they are so over worked and understaffed. They are spinning their wheels, getting no where, trying to make parents from some sperm/egg donors, while leaving the children at risk.

BBM
But to be fair to the social workers, Trista had been in a drunken brawl with her sister. So maybe they worried that Ayla was not in the best place there for the time being. Something could have happened there, and then everyone would have said, WHY wasn't she given to her father, and not left with the people that had a drunken fight with the mother?

I feel that the case workers are often in a no win situation when having to make emergency decisions like this.

Do we know if the sister was drunk or just Trista?

And if that was such a concern why wasn't the baby removed?

JMO

TR did not have a permanent address, so I'm wondering how we know what her relationship was like with her mom or sister? I don't think we know how often they saw each other or anything like that...

No offense, but I would not let my sister stay in a hotel with 1 or 2 small children if she lived in the same city. Mi casa es su casa (my house is your house), no matter how cramped we'd be!

I think LE's best shot at this case has already passed, but I will hold out hope that Ayla---unlike many others---will see real justice!!!

Do we know if the sister was drunk or just Trista?

And if that was such a concern why wasn't the baby removed?

JMO

I think only TR was drunk, but you never know. Maybe police just determined her to be the aggressor, or maybe she's the one who didn't calm down when the police arrived.

I wonder what the reason was for the ultimatum of "go to rehab or lose your kids." A single drunken fight does not make one an alcoholic, and if TR was spiraling out of control, how could anyone but her family have known that? Was this the first contact police made with her?

A lot of it may have to do with the fact there was more than one adult in that house and LE is having a hard time assigning culpability. Plus there is a lot of peripheral drama (PD, JL) that muddies the water a little bit.

I have been following this case for a while now and it deeply saddens me that there was blood found in the basement. Regardless of what kind of injury Ayla had the thought of her bleeding down in the basement (obviously enough that had to be cleaned up by someone) makes me feel sick. I feel so awful for her mother - I am a "young" mom and have a few "young mom friends". Some of which have gotten into drunken fights or done some things I personally would not choose to do. The ones who have fought when they were drunk and later arrested never had to go to rehab. They all got fines and probation (basically a slap on the wrist). I can't imagine the way Ayla's mother feels right now. Putting trust in her daughters father, giving him a chance, and then this happens. I suppose this is just a rant but I truly hope this is solved soon. My heart tells me otherwise.

TR did not have a permanent address, so I'm wondering how we know what her relationship was like with her mom or sister? I don't think we know how often they saw each other or anything like that...

No offense, but I would not let my sister stay in a hotel with 1 or 2 small children if she lived in the same city. Mi casa es su casa (my house is your house), no matter how cramped we'd be!

I think LE's best shot at this case has already passed, but I will hold out hope that Ayla---unlike many others---will see real justice!!!

There's a fine line between helping and enabling. Been there, done that, hope I have learned my lesson. Moo...just wanted to give another possible perspective.

News posted on aylareynolds.com (run by Trista's step-dad I believe) says that they learned Justin filed to terminate child support payments AND took out a life insurance policy on Ayla less than a week after Ayla had been placed with him.

New to websleuths. I went to school and was in many of the same classes as Elisha and Justin Linnell, actually Justin and I ran in the same circles for a short time.

Not sure if this has been clarified yet, because I know a few threads back there were some questions about the ball pit incident at Chucky Cheese, but... there is NOT a ball pit at the Portland ME Chucky Cheese.

News posted on aylareynolds.com (run by Trista's step-dad I believe) says that they learned Justin filed to terminate child support payments AND took out a life insurance policy on Ayla less than a week after Ayla had been placed with him.

New to websleuths. I went to school and was in many of the same classes as Elisha and Justin Linnell, actually Justin and I ran in the same circles for a short time.

Not sure if this has been clarified yet, because I know a few threads back there were some questions about the ball pit incident at Chucky Cheese, but... there is NOT a ball pit at the Portland ME Chucky Cheese.

:welcome:
Thanks for the new info! Nice to see someone who has ties to the family here too!

I haven't been following this lately, but, a life insurance policy on Ayla less than a week before being placed w/ him?? Isn't this a huge red flag?

Still, even JD would have to know a life insurance policy isn't going to do any good without being able to show Ayla is deceased. Unless her manner of death was so obviously homicide that it was decided it would be better to claim she was kidnapped. JMO

:welcome:
Thanks for the new info! Nice to see someone who has ties to the family here too!

Let me tell you, I was completely shocked :what:to hear about this! I never knew Justin D but Elisha was a sweetheart. Good grades, wasn't into drugs or drinking that I know of. If I remember correctly she was really into the drama stuff like acting and the arts. Seems like I'm in the twilight zone hearing that she is involved in all of this.

I haven't been following this lately, but, a life insurance policy on Ayla less than a week before being placed w/ him?? Isn't this a huge red flag?

IMO, yup, a huge red flag. I hope that LE is aware of this.

I have seen ads for "Gerber Life Insurance" that is bought when a child is young and can be cashed out when the child turns 18. People use it as a savings vehicle. This is a somewhat unpopular route to go as there are more appropriate ways to save for a child's future.

To me, life insurance is something that a person would use to replace lost wages in case they died - making sure that their family is looked after even if they aren't around.

Why JD would take out a policy on a 20 month old is beyond me. JMO.

IMO, yup, a huge red flag. I hope that LE is aware of this.

I have seen ads for "Gerber Life Insurance" that is bought when a child is young and can be cashed out when the child turns 18. People use it as a savings vehicle. This is a somewhat unpopular route to go as there are more appropriate ways to save for a child's future.

To me, life insurance is something that a person would use to replace lost wages in case they died - making sure that their family is looked after even if they aren't around.

Why JD would take out a policy on a 20 month old is beyond me. JMO.

Well, my workplace offers life insurance for me, and then I could add my family members for like, a dollar every 2 weeks. So I added my husband and son at the lowest possible plan, to pay for funeral expenses if anything should ever happen. But I don't think JD has a job, so he would have had to seek it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46