Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't find it strange that her husband didn't call 911. Given the fact that her mental health was fragile and he didn't know what we know now (that she was truly missing) he likely didn't wish to create a stir more than necessary!
Also I have heard that when someone is contemplating suicide they often become more calm and sometimes quite cunning. (Thinking of her method of departure) And beyond all that, she is a loving mother who, in spite of thinking irrationally, did not want to hurt her family.
Lastly, her age...a time when women have been strong, have been known to break.
The pain of the situation has reached my heart and I am praying for a healing outcome.

I've been lurking here a bit (got here due to the Sam Sayers search on a mountain I've climbed), but hadn't posted until now. This post is just absolutely lovely. You exhibit such empathy and kindness. In a thread that has not always read that way to me, this is a bright spot. Thank you for posting.

There’s no one size fits all, but she may have had an elevated mood and behavior Bc she was at peace with her decision to go through with self harm. I know it sounds weird.
This is what my first thought is as I join to follow this case.

Of course, I hope I am wrong and that she is found safe.

jmo

I just finally got a chance to see the husband on video, and I'm not getting any gut clenches from him. He seems to be acting *to me* appropriate and concerned. He seemed to legitimately get choked up at least one point, when talking about how much she was loved. His glasses appear to be the kind that automatically darken in the sun, and likely are hiding red rimmed, sad eyes. I don't 'see' a perpetrator here, and I'm often one of the first to assume that a significant other had something to do with a disappearance.

Especially since an eval was done on her, there must have been an inkling of something being wrong. Could be mental OR physical, we don't really know. Could be some of each, or one contributing to the other.

I do hope that she's found alive, it seems she's loved and will have all the support she needs to recover from whatever it is that's ailing her.

I wonder what the new information LE received was. They characterized it as "positive" - that struck me as interesting. I don't know if I'd consider anything about a missing person "positive" except finding them alive. Here's to hoping.

I've been lurking here a bit (got here due to the Sam Sayers search on a mountain I've climbed), but hadn't posted until now. This post is just absolutely lovely. You exhibit such empathy and kindness. In a thread that has not always read that way to me, this is a bright spot. Thank you for posting.

Thank you.☺️

I'm feeling better about this case since this afternoon's updates from the police.

I really hope she's OK. The reports of what she did the day she was last seen (jogging, full dinner) makes me think like she was trying really hard to do the right things. I can see someone forcing themselves to spend some time outside or to make sure they eat enough to try and right the wrongs that they're feeling. IMO.

That being said, I hope that she needed some time alone and that this will have a happy ending for her and her family.

I'm feeling better about this case since this afternoon's updates from the police.

I really hope she's OK. The reports of what she did the day she was last seen (jogging, full dinner) makes me think like she was trying really hard to do the right things. I can see someone forcing themselves to spend some time outside or to make sure they eat enough to try and right the wrongs that they're feeling. IMO.

That being said, I hope that she needed some time alone and that this will have a happy ending for her and her family.

Agreed. She appeared to be practicing self care as I’d assume the NP recommended. Physical exercise, nutritious food, early bedtime are all things recommended when people are dealing with any kind of anxiety or stress. I’m hopeful.

and there have been a lot of posts about her leaving in flips flops but that can not be confirmed IMO so seems a waste to focus too much energy on that.

And a gentle reminder that there is absolutely no script for depression and suicide. Just becasue someone got their hair done and was planning for a party next week and was happy, or never mentioned self-harm, or even someone already seeking help, etc. etc. - there is just no one size fits most, sadly...

That said, I hope she is an inpatient somewhere, and I am not one to make suppositions lightly. I always let the facts speak first rather than deciding a theory and then making the facts fit.

Hey, beautiful soul, we're looking for you... please, please be ok...

I know it stated that she left her wallet, etc, but was she one to carry cash? Could she be holed up in a hotel somewhere just taking a breather from life?

My thoughts as well. The carefulness with which her husband expresses himself makes me feel he's thinking of that too. She could be watching this all play out on TV, horrified at the national attention, too petrified to do anything! And yet she deliberately left no communication...

I spoke with the school where she works today (work related). They are devastated and so worried. It is such a small school. They’ve been in my thoughts since that phone call.
I have not read the thread yet but plan on heading that way.
I do hope she just needed an escape for a little bit.

Empty room and full dinner both seem like slightly odd details to me.

3am switch of rooms is not alarming, but it sure is convenient.

Also, did I read correctly husband drove to fire station to report her missing? Wouldn't you call 911? I know I would if I found my husband gone, but all his belongings at home. That would have me very concerned.

Moo
Maybe he was driving around looking for her and stopped by the fire station if it was close by?

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't see any red flags with the husband, either, and I am keeping fingers crossed that we are all correct.

I get nervous mentioning self harm- it is such a delicate subject and it is devastating for loved ones and friends left behind to cope with later. That isn't saying that a kidnapped or murder victim isn't devastating, of course it is. I just see many people go through anguish and guilt after someone has harmed themselves, and no amount of consoling and telling them it wasn't their fault is convincing enough.

I also question Grave's Disease- which is hyperthyroidism. I was very close to Grave's Storm, and the symptoms are God awful. I wonder if she was hot all the time- sweating like I had just ran a marathon when I was literally sitting still reading or trying to relax, as well as worse sweating just walking around the house or stores, etc, diarrhea, weight loss, anxiety/panic attacks, rapid heart racing, loss of sleep due to being hot all of the time. I was literally wearing tank tops and shorts around the house in the middle of a cold winter- it was brutal to go into a store or someone's home that had a normal temperature setting- I was constantly outside. I was emotional, irritable, and exhausted from this, yet strange enough, there were energy surges that kept me up and so hot I'd stand outside on my porch trying to cool down. A misdiagnosis almost cost me my life with this, it was so bad I was on a high dose of methamazole and propranolol- I still take the propranolol to this day. I won't lie, I am nervous of these symptoms coming back, it was so bad and frightening- I called my own ambulance because I felt "funky" and my youngest daughter was with me and I knew I need immediate attention. Thank God I did call the ambulance, as I wouldn't be here today. So, who knows, the poor woman probably has something that hasn't been diagnosed yet, and add on the stress of renovations at both home and school, suffering from symptoms that she has no idea the cause, and anxiety would definitely cause someone to want to leave their home- not because they are afraid of anyone at their home, but because the symptoms are so bad, you don't know if your unbalanced mentally and feel like you are literally going crazy.

Kristin, I hope you are ok and are found safe and sound. I don't know if you can read here or elsewhere, but you have so many people in your corner- from your loved ones, friends, co-workers and even strangers you have never met. Please contact someone as soon as possible so they know you're ok.

YARMOUTH (WGME) – Friends of Kristin Westra are sharing their concern and hope that their friend will come home safe.

A fellow teacher at Chebeague Island School, and a friend from college met with the media Thursday.

-snip

Westra's fellow teacher at Chebeague Island School said she instantly knew something was wrong when a colleague told her Westra would be out for two days.

“My colleague said, ‘Well, Kristin’s not going to be here for the next two days, she called out,’ and my stomach dropped, it instantly dropped, I knew something was terribly wrong,” teacher Tammy Drew-Hoidal said. “Because she's a communicator, we don't go a day without texting or calling or letting each other know, ‘I have to do this today’ or ‘I have to take the early boat’ or ‘I have that,’ the fact that that happened, I just felt sick and then to pick up my phone after teaching math to see that I'd missed several calls from her husband, I just began to feel really scared.”

Article and video at link:
Friends share concern for missing North Yarmouth woman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads