Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty easy going and one renovation would put me over the edge. Especially if it's my home. I had my whole house replumbed and it took 2 days (they had to sheetrock 27 holes)
with 8 men. For 2 days my life was turned upside down. I can't imagine if it had been a month. I would have gone absolutely nuts!
I don't think a mentally healthy person would commit suicide over renovating. Leave their young daughter behind, all family and friends forever knowing the renovation will eventually have an end date.

Of course it could be the straw that broke the camels back.

Moo

Maybe I don't relate to suicidal depression but I feel if I were in such a place mentally, the last thing I would be doing is jogging before I plan to kill myself. I am not thinking this is suicide, yet.

In reply to MONTEREY MAMMA and yourself LEGAL MOMMA

From my experience of having looked for many people who have disappeared with a background of depression and having investigated the circumstances of many successful suicides ( unfortunately ), I can attest to the fact that in most cases, there has been a period of calm directly before the disappearance to commit or before the act itself. This is because the person has taken the decision about what to do and know that once they follow through, their problems will soon be over. This in turn helps to stop the panic inside them and they appear for the first time in a long time, a lot more like their old self which makes it all the more difficult for their loved ones because they believe that they are starting to show signs of getting better and showing sparks of their old self.
This period , again in my experience, has been anything from the day before to a couple of weeks before. During this period , whilst plans are afoot, often they can be quite deceptive whilst putting the plans in motion and this is also difficult for loved ones to process as it’s not always their typical behaviour and it can hurt the loved ones moreso because they haven’t previously displayed this level of deception.
Hope my experiences help you to understand some of what happens during this tragic lead up to the act itself.

Her brother stated it was unlike her to leave without her phone, it was unlike her to go somewhere without telling anyone she was leaving, and unlike her to exercise at that time of day.
I think the brother was saying she wouldn't exercise at 3 am. But she could easily have gone for a walk at 6 am, and didn't want to wake up husband, maybe figuring she'd be back before he woke up. She didn't have to work that day if the calling in sick thing is true. I know it was rainy, but that surely wouldn't have stopped me if I felt the urge to go for a walk.

So that just leaves the phone. And he may very well be right about that.

I'm sadly in the same place, and I hope I'm wrong or that she is still with us and can be found.

MOO:
My speculation only: She's approaching 50, a time when a lot of people take stock of their lives. She has lived in Europe, Boston, San Francisco, and who knows where else. Even if she jumped all in on her second career as a teacher, maybe it wasn't what she had expected (a few posts upthread talk about the overwhelming demands on teachers today). I live in a northern inter-mountain state, and, although I love it here, there are days when it is downright dreary and I wonder why I'm not in Acapulco. She may have felt it confining after a while, which she would not want to admit to her husband and family because she loves them. Where I am, the days are markably shorter, and the amount of daylight can affect moods, even in someone who does not technically have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I wince to write this, but since we are in the time of having awkward conversations, menopause could also be a factor. It disrupts hormonal balances and also drives home the point to women that the child-bearing years are behind us. (I'm NOT saying menopause is mental illness!) Then her home and work life is affected by renovation -- more disruption. I just see a lot of factors that could combine to cause distress and unrest, and a feeling that it was too late to make another change (even though it's not, and not all helpful changes have to be HUGE). All JMO and take all with a huge boulder of salt.

Until we learn otherwise, I'm holding out hope that she ran away with a dashing ferry captain, and they are setting up their new enterprise ferrying German tourists up and down the Danube River. Her DH will rebound with a glamorous SAR pro, and they will happily train search dogs for deployment around the world.

I totally agree with your point about menopause. Having held down a very responsible career as a high ranking U.K. Police Detective and Crime Manager and all that entails, I started with early menopause at the beginning of my 40’s.
I have gone from being a totally confident individual who gets things done like yesterday and nothing bothers me, to an individual who doesn’t know what is coming or going. My confidence is at an all time low, I question everything and my ability to do it, I constantly procrastinate especially with making and receiving phone calls because I cannot face it. And for the first time ever in my life, I have been struck down with anxiety. It’s been a terrible and tough few years and at times I isolate myself and stay home in my safe zone. It’s truly awful and has turned my life upside down and the lack of control over my own mind and body is so debilitating yet so very scary ! I know it’s not depression because it can literally make me almost bed bound through total exhaustion ( I do everything normally at 100 mph ) and not wanting to face the day and I cannot leave the house, to literally 6 hours later where I am all of a sudden, on top of the world. I put off making arrangements to go to places or out with friends and family or to have them come over as I never know how I am going to feel from one hour to the next! It’s been a very isolating and lonely experience and I have to say that if it wasn’t for my children, there are days when I would have entertained these thoughts myself. It’s all to do with hormone levels and the fluctuations. Who knew they could wreak havoc like they do. Fortunately, I’m now on medication ( oestrogen) and this has helped to pull me out of it almost. I still have bad days but nothing like they were. So I can totally relate to comment made regarding the menopause. It’s been an eye opener for me because if it can turn my world upside down ( a high achiever, perfectionist, go getter , very focussed etc ) then it can turn anybody’s. It’s true when they say it can be those that appear strongest are the ones who are finally beaten down because they have been strong for themselves and everyone around them for far too long!!! Thinking of you and sincerely hoping that you are found and can receive the help that you need young lady .

I am her age and experienced this with perimenopause to an absolute extreme.
I’m sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you are going through or went through. It’s so debilitating isn’t it ? It’s truly awful and yet nobody really talks about it so I had no idea what the peri menopause was when this superficial truck came and knocked me for six ! Hope you’re getting through it now x

I totally agree with your point about menopause. Having held down a very responsible career as a high ranking U.K. Police Detective and Crime Manager and all that entails, I started with early menopause at the beginning of my 40’s.
I have gone from being a totally confident individual who gets things done like yesterday and nothing bothers me, to an individual who doesn’t know what is coming or going. My confidence is at an all time low, I question everything and my ability to do it, I constantly procrastinate especially with making and receiving phone calls because I cannot face it. And for the first time ever in my life, I have been struck down with anxiety. It’s been a terrible and tough few years and at times I isolate myself and stay home in my safe zone. It’s truly awful and has turned my life upside down and the lack of control over my own mind and body is so debilitating yet so very scary ! I know it’s not depression because it can literally make me almost bed bound through total exhaustion ( I do everything normally at 100 mph ) and not wanting to face the day and I cannot leave the house, to literally 6 hours later where I am all of a sudden, on top of the world. I put off making arrangements to go to places or out with friends and family or to have them come over as I never know how I am going to feel from one hour to the next! It’s been a very isolating and lonely experience and I have to say that if it wasn’t for my children, there are days when I would have entertained these thoughts myself. It’s all to do with hormone levels and the fluctuations. Who knew they could wreak havoc like they do. Fortunately, I’m now on medication ( oestrogen) and this has helped to pull me out of it almost. I still have bad days but nothing like they were. So I can totally relate to comment made regarding the menopause. It’s been an eye opener for me because if it can turn my world upside down ( a high achiever, perfectionist, go getter , very focussed etc ) then it can turn anybody’s. It’s true when they say it can be those that appear strongest are the ones who are finally beaten down because they have been strong for themselves and everyone around them for far too long!!! Thinking of you and sincerely hoping that you are found and can receive the help that you need young lady .

(Marking to respond when I’m fully awake and more clear, hugs!)

I would like to know what went on Friday after 5pm through Sunday morning. Did she go anywhere? See any friends (or say she was going to see a friend but didn't)? We have been told a number of things that went on from Sunday afternoon until 9am Monday. What happened earlier than that time frame could go a long way to explaining what transpired late Sunday evening / early Monday morning. Also, we have a number of things known of the whereabouts and what her 9 year old daughter was doing Sunday and Monday morning but no information about what the 17 year old was doing or even if at home.

I don't know what to make of this whole situation yet but it feels like there is something missing. I wonder if her phone was accessible to law enforcement or if it is not due to passcode or other security issues. Either way, I suppose law enforcement has obtained cell phone records for her and possibly other people.

One thing that stands out to me is that school starts at 8:15am on the island. For Kristin to be there before school starts she has to take the first ferry. The way the ferry works is that you have to drive to a parking lot off of Rte 1 and get a bus from there to the ferry. That bus leaves the parking lot at 6:15am. The ferry arrives at the island at 6:45am. If she doesn't make that ferry the next one would make her a minimum of 30 minutes late. On a normal day I doubt that Kristin would still be at the home at 6:00am.

So, her husband's account of Monday morning with respect to their daughter's activity and him taking the dogs for a walk as cover to go look for Kristin gives me some pause. The way it was told implies there would be some expectation of their daughter seeing Kristin in the morning and her activities and his kept her from noticing Kristin wasn't there. That would seem to be the case if their daughter was aware that Kristin was taking Monday off. Otherwise on a normal day Kristin would be gone by 6:00am.

Like I said, I don't know what to make of this case yet.

Remind me to never use the word "was" if a loved one goes missing. Truth be told, I think it's perfectly okay and normal to use that word.

I wouldn't use the word "was" while describing my SO, as in "was thoughtful" unless they were at one time thoughtful and then ceased to be thoughtful. I would say, "...is thoughtful...".

It may or may not be significant; word and phrase usage and speech patterns differ for various reasons but it should not be entirely dismissed until the question regarding its usage is resolved.

We don’t know where the neighbor’s house was that had the camera, right? If she was on a jog, she very likely would have left her little road and the camera could have been on any other nearby street and still be from a “neighbor”’s house. So technically she may not have had to pass it again to leave without sneaking out the back door?

One thing that stands out to me is that school starts at 8:15am on the island. For Kristin to be there before school starts she has to take the first ferry. The way the ferry works is that you have to drive to a parking lot off of Rte 1 and get a bus from there to the ferry. That bus leaves the parking lot at 6:15am. The ferry arrives at the island at 6:45am. If she doesn't make that ferry the next one would make her a minimum of 30 minutes late. On a normal day I doubt that Kristin would still be at the home at 6:00am.

Yes, what would have been her NORMAL Monday? Looking at the ferry service, it is foot passenger only. From ferry terminal once she gets to Chebague Island to the School is 2.3 miles per google maps. It is listed as a 47 minute walk or 6 minute drive. Looking at satellite images, there are a bunch of cars parked on the Chebague side. Would she commute on the ferry with another mainland coworker who kept a car on the Chebague side? Did she keep a car there? Did someone usually pick her up? Did she ride a bike? It seems that if she was planning to be out on Monday morning, she would have notified her usual ride or ferry mate. If she happened to keep a car on the Chebague side, that would be another place to search for evidence.

The point in the quote above is so interesting to me. She normally would have been out of the house SO early in the morning to make all this happen. What time did she typically get up? What were her habits. Would she have gone on the computer in the house? etc.

MOO

SO MUCH DETAIL is provided in that interview video. Almost too much detail. Like giving answers to questions that haven't even been asked yet. MOO whilst trying to remain within TOS.

Also in the video when talking about Kristen being caught on a neighbors camera returning from her jog, the husband head motions to the left of their house (to the right if facing the front of the house). So I'm assuming had she walked out and taken her right she may not have been caught on that particular neighbors camera.

Praying this lovely lady is just taking some time out for herself.

In reply to MONTEREY MAMMA and yourself LEGAL MOMMA

From my experience of having looked for many people who have disappeared with a background of depression and having investigated the circumstances of many successful suicides ( unfortunately ), I can attest to the fact that in most cases, there has been a period of calm directly before the disappearance to commit or before the act itself. This is because the person has taken the decision about what to do and know that once they follow through, their problems will soon be over. This in turn helps to stop the panic inside them and they appear for the first time in a long time, a lot more like their old self which makes it all the more difficult for their loved ones because they believe that they are starting to show signs of getting better and showing sparks of their old self.
This period , again in my experience, has been anything from the day before to a couple of weeks before. During this period , whilst plans are afoot, often they can be quite deceptive whilst putting the plans in motion and this is also difficult for loved ones to process as it’s not always their typical behaviour and it can hurt the loved ones moreso because they haven’t previously displayed this level of deception.
Hope my experiences help you to understand some of what happens during this tragic lead up to the act itself.

Lindsey Piccone escalated in anxiety immediately before she went missing and was found one month later as a suicide.

SO MUCH DETAIL is provided in that interview video. Almost too much detail. Like giving answers to questions that haven't even been asked yet. MOO whilst trying to remain within TOS.

Also in the video when talking about Kristen being caught on a neighbors camera returning from her jog, the husband head motions to the left of their house (to the right if facing the front of the house). So I'm assuming had she walked out and taken her right she may not have been caught on that particular neighbors camera.

Praying this lovely lady is just taking some time out for herself.

I wouldn't find it unusual for someone giving a media interview to provide "so much detail" after likely having had been asked questions by LE previously that required responding with such detail.

I wouldn't find it unusual for someone giving a media interview to provide "so much detail" after likely having had been asked questions by LE previously that required responding with such detail.

Well I don't think they would have looked into his phone logs yet at the time of that interview to ask why his phone may have had activity but he says...
"And after that restlessness, at 3:30 [a.m.], I looked at the phone because she wasn't in bed,"

Like I said, MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member