ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelter-in-place orders were lifted Friday night in several Maine communities where investigators are continuing to search for the man suspected of killing 18 people and wounding 13 others on Wednesday night in Lewiston.

Maine Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck announced that while the shelter-in-place orders are no longer in effect, vigilance is recommended as the search for Robert Card, 40, continues. Businesses can open or close as they choose but hunting will be banned in the communities of Bowdoin, Lewiston, Lisbon and Monmouth until further notice.

When was the breakup with the girlfriend? Do we know?

jmo
No timeline of break up here but letter intended for his son. 'Ranting in letter' sounds troublesome regarding state of mind.

Law enforcement sources say the weapon found inside Card’s 2013 white Subaru Outback appears to be the same one fired by the gunman at the bowling alley and a local bar, though a ballistics match has not been confirmed.

Yes, just heard that too. Interesting. I wonder if he had any urges prior to getting help.
Yes, he was hospitalized because he made threats of shooting people at a base in Saco, Me.
ETA source:
"Card recently reported experiencing mental health issues, including hearing voices, and threatened to shoot up a military base in Saco, the law enforcement bulletin said. He was also reported to have been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks over this past summer, according to the bulletin.

In mid-July, leaders of the U.S. Army Reserve's 3rd battalion told garrison staff that Card was "behaving erratically," a spokesperson for the New York Army National Guard said in a statement to CBS News on Thursday. The battalion was staying at the Camp Smith training site in Cortlandt, while training at the U.S. Military Academy. "

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I also think it's very possible that the sister's statement that he was looking for his ex-girlfriend is true, and possibly why we see mostly adult male victims (although we don't know the ages/genders of the wounded survivors). Maybe she had a habit of bowling and then dinner and drinks at these two popular spots on Wednesdays. When she wasn't there, he took it out on all the men his paranoid brain thought could possibly be a new suitor or someone who flirted with her or whatever.

Also might explain why he hasn't been found. If alive, he's biding his time until he can return to kill his intended target. If dead, he's hoping she'll be in fear that he's coming for her as long as possible.

<modsnip> I feel like that note will explain a lot. I feel terrible for the son. Awful for a dad to drag his kid into this in any way. Then again, there seems to be zero moral conscience or empathy present with this *advertiser censored*.

MOO--total speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeks. Sounds like he had been threatening kill people for some time. Which makes it even stranger that the yellow flag was either not reported or not enacted. I had assumed the threat to shoot people at the base in Saco was a one time event, but it wasn't. More from that article:
"Investigators are looking into whether the suspect was targeting a specific individual, who is believed to be a current or former girlfriend, two U.S. officials and a former high-ranking official told CBS News. It wasn't clear if the individual was at either of the two locations that were attacked.

Law enforcement intelligence officials confirm reports that the end of the relationship was "a significant destabilizing event" for Card. However, they also point out that he had "for months" been threatening to kill people, so the exact motive and triggers are still very much under investigation."

The victims of Wednesday night’s shootings were named as Ronald Morin, 55; Peyton Brewer Ross, 40; Joshua Seal, 36; Bryan MacFarlane, 41; Joseph Walker, 47; Arthur Strout, 42; Maxx Hathaway, 35; Stephen Vozzella, 45; Thomas Conrad, 34; Michael Deslauriers, 51; Jason Walker, 51; Tricia Asselin, 53; William Brackett, 48; and Keith Macneir, 64.
Father and son William and Aaron Young, 44 and 14, respectively were also named by police, as were husband and wife Bob and Lucy Violette, 76 and 73, respectively.

BBM. I know it is highly unlikely, but Ronald Morin shares a surname with the still unsolved death of victim Rachel Morin. Seems like a fairly...uncommon (?) surname. Just a thought.

The father & son and husband & wife victims are especially saddening.

Law enforcement lifting some of the restrictions suggests to me they now believe that he’s killed himself in the water - MOO

If they thought he was still at large I don’t think they could lift the restrictions especially on a Friday night where bars are likely to get busy in the area

Law enforcement lifting some of the restrictions suggests to me they now believe that he’s killed himself in the water - MOO

If they thought he was still at large I don’t think they could lift the restrictions especially on a Friday night where bars are likely to get busy in the area
100%. The comments made today by LE and what they have been doing suggest this is now in the recovery stage of finding his body. IMO.

100%. The comments made today by LE and what they have been doing suggest this is now in the recovery stage of finding his body. IMO.
That’s how I see it.

Unless LE were certain there is no way they’d lift restrictions especially on a Friday evening in some of the areas In close proximity (imagine the backlash if these were lifted and he struck again)

I know the people of a Maine quite rightly won’t feel at ease until he is caught I really hope his body is recovered soon so that people know for certain he is not a danger to them anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay