Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kugar website states that the company employes the QFS Qualcomm Satellite Tracking System to keep track of its fleet of trucks.

Today, I called Qualcomm headquarters in San Diego and was told that they sold this tracking system about three years ago to the Omnitracs company. (per Omnitracs, it is not unusual for clients to continue referring to this system as Qualcomm).

I then called Omnitracs and was told that the data from this GPS tracking system would (in the normal course of operation) be downloaded to one of their servers, but I was told that this is sensitive information…they would not tell me where the server(s) are, not even which country they might be in, nor for how long the actual GPS coordinates data would remain retrievable. I believe their position on this is very understandable. To go further would involve legal proceedings (possibly a subpoena).

QFS Qualcomm Satellite Tracking System
was sold about three years ago to:

www.omnitracs.com

Omnitracs

Omnitracs Headquarters:
Omnitracs, LLC
717 N. Harwood Street
Suite 1300
Dallas, TX, USA, 75201

800 348 7227
888 627 2716

Customer Service: 800 541 7490

Latin America: 800 348 7227

Legal Department: David Arnold is vice president and general counsel of Omnitracs, LLC, providing strategic leadership to and day-to-day management of the Omnitracs legal and contracts department.

The Kugar website states that the company employes the QFS Qualcomm Satellite Tracking System to keep track of its fleet of trucks.

Today, I called Qualcomm headquarters in San Diego and was told that they sold this tracking system about three years ago to the Omnitracs company. (per Omnitracs, it is not unusual for clients to continue referring to this system as Qualcomm).

I then called Omnitracs and was told that the data from this GPS tracking system would (in the normal course of operation) be downloaded to one of their servers, but I was told that this is sensitive information…they would not tell me where the server(s) are, not even which country they might be in, nor for how long the actual GPS coordinates data would remain retrievable. I believe their position on this is very understandable. To go further would involve legal proceedings (possibly a subpoena).

www.omnitracs.com

Omnitracs

Omnitracs Headquarters:
Omnitracs, LLC
717 N. Harwood Street
Suite 1300
Dallas, TX, USA, 75201

800 348 7227
888 627 2716

Legal Department: David Arnold is vice president and general counsel of Omnitracs, LLC, providing strategic leadership to and day-to-day management of the Omnitracs legal and contracts department.

Oh snap. Great sleuthing Web.

Now that makes sense.

I think the svc puts the gps data in the cloud for employers to review at anytime.

Now of course the employer can manipulate the copy that they print out.

So this could be why the data doesn't seem complete.

Maybe the company did some self deletes.

Hmmmm.

I'm just upset that Jenny didn't stay in touch with people on a daily basis while out there.

Where are you Jenny.

Jenny took it upon herself to make a sign and hitch a ride. I don't think that was staged by the shopkeeper.

Agree. She was too dang naive during this entire solo trip.

I wonder how was her mental health since she was seeing a psychiatrist.

And those folks always prescribe medication.

I'm just mad that Jonathan has been there 5 times in 2 months.

But he let her roam like that for 6 weeks without meeting her ; Even though he knew that she was far far away from Cancun. Jmo

It's new info to me that she arrived at Laguna crossing in the "early morning", meaning what most of us call the middle of the night. That she would land at a truck stop on the highway after midnight, with no place to stay and no money, is nuts. She is lucky she was taken in for the night.

BTW I' m quite sure it was later that same day that she accepted a ride with a semi, whether she arrived at midnight or 7 am, she wouldn't want to hang around the whole day, stay the night and then leave the following day.

Brilliant and above-and-beyond work, webant. It would seem that Kugar would have been the one to alter the data before giving it to JR, not the drivers. Did you happen to ask what would account for an eight hour gap and the other gaps? Could they be legitimate or should it show something every five minutes no matter what?

www.omnitracs.com

Omnitracs

Omnitracs Headquarters:
Omnitracs, LLC
717 N. Harwood Street
Suite 1300
Dallas, TX, USA, 75201

800 348 7227
888 627 2716

Oh snap. Great sleuthing Web.

Now that makes sense.

I think the svc puts the gps data in the cloud for employers to review at anytime.

Now of course the employer can manipulate the copy that they print out.

So this could be why the data doesn't seem complete.

Maybe the company did some self deletes.

Hmmmm.

I'm just upset that Jenny didn't stay in touch with people on a daily basis while out there.

Where are you Jenny.
BBM

What interests me about Jenny not staying in touch was that she told JR she would be out of touch on the trip from Oaxaca to Cancun. Why? That always struck me as odd. Why would she cause him worry during that time? There is access to Internet.

I went back to the first thread to find a link to support my memory. It was in a newspaper article in JR's home area in PA. I don't recall seeing it in other articles.

Reinhard said she texted him on April 11 from Oaxaca in western Mexico and told him she would be out of contact for a few days while she traveled across the country to Cancun.

http://www.goerie.com/article/20160...rmer-erie-man-says-wife-disappeared-in-mexico

Original post and another comment on this...
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-1&p=12517736#post12517736

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-1&p=12520577#post12520577

While I was on the first thread, I noticed that up to eight guests were reading at the same time. There's still enough interest in Jenny's case that people are reading the first thread.

Brilliant and above-and-beyond work, webant. It would seem that Kugar would have been the one to alter the data before giving it to JR, not the drivers. Did you happen to ask what would account for an eight hour gap and the other gaps? Could they be legitimate or should it show something every five minutes no matter what?

No. And I never spoke with David Arnold. The man I spoke with, and I didn't ask for his name, was reluctant to speak with me. Once I told him I was calling in regards to a missing women in Mexico and the circumstances in which she went missing, he was a bit more forthcoming with answers, but I didn't get into questions on interpreting the log we have...I sensed that I was getting all he was going to be willing to talk about with a stranger over the phone. They don't list a phone number for their Legal Department; I asked for the number and was told I could leave my name and number and they would get back to me, which I elected to not do. David Arnold's name and responsibilities are listed on their website.

From what I've read online on websites of attorneys who specialize in big-rig accident investigation, reading a true GPS data record for a big-rig is not something that is easy to do for a layperson and reportedly is done by people trained in the work. I feel that what we are seeing in the log we have is a translation of the actual GPS data.

[FONT=&quot]I’m not at the point where I can say I feel that Kugar altered data, the driver altered data, or that data was even altered…simply because I don’t know enough about the various aspects of GPS big-rig tracking (or the system used by Kugar). I will keep looking at the data, because we know where Jenny is reported to have hitch hiked a ride and we know where Kugar is telling us this truck traveled.[/FONT]

Well I am sad to say.

In regards to Jenny Chen disappearing.

Iam not too happy with her and her husband for various reasons. Jmo.

Because both seem very nonchalant during this entire thing. Jmo.

Especially since she was too naive during her solo trip and he decided to have a tug and rub while asking people for money while knowing his wife had mental problems and has vanished in Mexico. And last seen at a dangerous truck crossing.

Jmo.

Both Jenny and Jonathan seem too gullible or sneaky.

And I'm sad.

If JR pushes a lawsuit, it would behoove Kugars to supply all requested data. Maybe they know the perishable date of data storage and are stalling so that date can pass. If JR intends to go foward with a lawsuit, even a phoney one, he needs to act quickly and get those records supoena'd as soon as possible.

No. And I never spoke with David Arnold. The man I spoke with, and I didn't ask for his name, was reluctant to speak with me. Once I told him I was calling in regards to a missing women in Mexico and the circumstances in which she went missing, he was a bit more forthcoming with answers, but I didn't get into questions on interpreting the log we have...I sensed that I was getting all he was going to be willing to talk about with a stranger over the phone. They don't list a phone number for their Legal Department; I asked for the number and was told I could leave my name and number and they would get back to me, which I elected to not do. David Arnold's name and responsibilities are listed on their website.

From what I've read online on websites of attorneys who specialize in big-rig accident investigation, reading a true GPS data record for a big-rig is not something that is easy to do for a layperson and reportedly is done by people trained in the work. I feel that what we are seeing in the log we have is a translation of the actual GPS data.

[FONT=&amp]I’m not at the point where I can say I feel that Kugar altered data, the driver altered data, or that data was even altered…simply because I don’t know enough about the various aspects of GPS big-rig tracking (or the system used by Kugar). I will keep looking at the data, because we know where Jenny is reported to have hitch hiked a ride and we know where Kugar is telling us this truck traveled.[/FONT]

Thanks again for your efforts, webant. I can see how easy it is to jump to conclusions about the log. The gap may mean something and it may not. When I think about it, IF the gap is significant regarding Jenny, it seems strange that Kugar would have agreed to turn the log over to JR. Corona and Kugar did this voluntarily, if I understand the press release correctly.

So it seems to me that the GPS log, according to Kugar, does NOT show that either driver stopped at Lagunas crossing, despite the fact that one driver said he waited there 15 minutes. Why would he say that? Could he have been confused about the area they were asking him about? Who is right and/or truthful...Kugar's GPS log which is missing eight hours for an unknown reason and doesn't show the driver stopping at Lagunas crossing OR the witnesses at Lagunas crossing and the family guy driver? And whose GPS log are we looking at...family guy who says he didn't have room for Jenny or single guy? JR indicated in a comment on HFJ that JS(R) of the GPS log is family guy. Why didn't JR get or post the logs for both drivers? Rhetorical questions I'm not sure we can answer with the info we have.

Corona stated that they contact several truck companies to haul their beverages throughout Mexico, and refereed me to one in particular; Kugar. Corona initially provided GPS coordinates to the authorities and to my PI. <snip>
The meeting with Corona was very productive. Corona showed and eagerness to help, they were kind and supportive. They introduced me to the truck company’s management representatives and they also appeared to want to help. The transport company representatives told me that according to their GPS records, neither driver one stopped at the area where Jenny was picked up. Also if they did stop, (even if the engine was running, there would be a GPS alert. This is due to the amount of truck robberies in this area. The company will know if something is wrong of the truck takes an unscheduled stop. This is inconsistent with one truck driver’s testimony that accepted that he stopped and waited for 15 minutes in that crossing.
<snip>
The GPS data that Kugar supplied shows tracking information every 5 minutes EXCEPT for the day that Jenny Chen&#8203; went missing (8 hours of data was deleted from the system) of one truck.

All very good points. Things I can get my head around are the sold truck that apparently wasn't checked out by forensics. The last place Jenny was reported, where she is said to have hitch-hiked from, that wasn't checked by cadaver dogs (Like Dex suggested a long time ago, if I remember correctly). Like you say, a driver saying he was stopped for 15 minutes at a location that is not reflected in the log.

If I learn anything about reading the GPS log, I will post it on this thread. In the meantime I must warn you, I've been resisting the urge to work on another map...

This image is from Google street view of the location that I believe Jenny was dropped off by the cement truck. IIRC I saw a photo JR took of himself in this location. It's beside Highway 185 and big semis are parked out front.

View attachment 102149

Not shops, more cafe/bar for truckers to meet, eat, drink. Therefore likely open very late, past midnight. The family would live there or in a shack just behind, they'd have no money for a home and transportation back and forth, childcare, etc. Whole family would run the establishment and take care of smaller children.

You're right about these little cafes being open late. I see one on the opposite side of the street from the cafe in your picture ( in the bldg. just to the right of the Pemex station, as you face the gas station) that says "Comedor", and "Serv. las 24hrs" on the bldg. Jenny certainly took a lot of dangerous chances, if true that she arrived there somewhere in the dark, post-midnight hours without a plan.
Why, Jenny, why......
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.814...4!1sElw3Owh2M8RwNaaoZx_FmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So, one driver says "he stopped and waited for 15 minutes in that crossing". What I wonder is how did the driver even recall that, when he was probably questioned so far after April 12. The PI got the witness report on May 15 (so that was already 33 days past 4/12). And who knows when the drivers were actually finally questioned, as all we know is that they apparently did some time before June 24, for that is when JR met with the police, Corona and the truck company representatives for the results.

It is so confusing to me which truck driver said or did what. We know there is two: one driving with his family inside, and one (we guess) alone. But which of those drivers is the one who said he stopped for 15 minutes at that crossing? I don't think we can tell by what JR has written, can we? I hope he has got it straight, or at least his PI does, because I sure don't!

All very good points. Things I can get my head around are the sold truck that apparently wasn't checked out by forensics. The last place Jenny was reported, where she is said to have hitch-hiked from, that wasn't checked by cadaver dogs (Like Dex suggested a long time ago, if I remember correctly). Like you say, a driver saying he was stopped for 15 minutes at a location that is not reflected in the log.

If I learn anything about reading the GPS log, I will post it on this thread. In the meantime I must warn you, I've been resisting the urge to work on another map...

Never resist working on maps! :D We eat them up.

There's been no mention of a cadaver dog. It's a shame the PI didn't use one in Oaxaca, and Lagunas Crossing. I wonder if the cement truck driver was ever questioned.

I am inclined to believe that Jenny did spend the night with this family, since her name appears in the famous notebook we spent pages discussing and wondering where it was found. I'd like to think they are just helpful people, since they did come forward. So I do believe the Corona truck story at this point. I hope someone talked to the trusted person they arranged would give Jenny a ride to confirm that part of their story.

I get a little cranky when I think of the hours we have wasted trying to decipher JR's communications. So much ambiguous and incomplete information since the beginning! This press release is not clear and concise enough for me to want to send to the MSM links Tarabull provided earlier. It's frustrating and sad.

So, one driver says "he stopped and waited for 15 minutes in that crossing". What I wonder is how did the driver even recall that, when he was probably questioned so far after April 12.
Maybe the driver doesn't really remember that day at all, and he's assigning a memory to the wrong day.

Never resist working on maps! :D We eat them up.

There's been no mention of a cadaver dog. It's a shame the PI didn't use one in Oaxaca, and Lagunas Crossing. I wonder if the cement truck driver was ever questioned.

I am inclined to believe that Jenny did spend the night with this family, since her name appears in the famous notebook we spent pages discussing and wondering where it was found. I'd like to think they are just helpful people, since they did come forward. So I do believe the Corona truck story at this point. I hope someone talked to the trusted person they arranged would give Jenny a ride to confirm that part of their story.

I get a little cranky when I think of the hours we have wasted trying to decipher JR's communications. So much ambiguous and incomplete information since the beginning! This press release is not clear and concise enough for me to want to send to the MSM links Tarabull provided earlier. It's frustrating and sad.

I incline towards believing the family as well. I feel certain the notebook proves Jenny was there, and if the family was lying about Jenny leaving by way of a hitch-hiked ride, they likely would not have claimed a Corona truck but rather something less conspicuous, or that they didn't see what vehicle picked her up.

Still, with all the people coming and going from such a place, a cadaver dog search would have been something to do. I don't think it would take very long or be too costly to do that. But worse is if there has not been a forensic check of the truck. To me that is really bad.

Within the last few pages of this thread, I believe there was a suggestion of looking at the delivery stops log for the truck. That might tell us if the truck went into Juchitan de Zaragoza before heading to Santa Maria Guienagati. If such a delivery log exists, it might be possible to see if anyone at those delivery sites saw Jenny. If they did, it would be possible to eliminate some of the route from where she was picked up (as far as trying to identify places where she could have been removed from the truck). A shot in the dark, I know, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Can you tell me exactly where Lagunas Crossing is on this map? Do you have a feel for the route that the truck took to Santa Maria Guienagati?
attachment.php

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 95
So, one driver says "he stopped and waited for 15 minutes in that crossing". What I wonder is how did the driver even recall that, when he was probably questioned so far after April 12. The PI got the witness report on May 15 (so that was already 33 days past 4/12). And who knows when the drivers were actually finally questioned, as all we know is that they apparently did some time before June 24, for that is when JR met with the police, Corona and the truck company representatives for the results.

I don't know if the drivers keep a written log of their routes or not. The company might require them to note such things. That is likely the only way I would be able to remember something like that with such presicion so long afterwards.

<snipped for space>

Can you tell me exactly where Lagunas Crossing is on this map? Do you have a feel for the route that the truck took to Santa Maria Guienagati?

[\QUOTE]

According to my googling, 185 splits north of the city of Juchitan. Santa Maria Guienagati seems to be on the branch to the west of the 185 leading from Lagunas Crossing. So I would assume the truck would have crossed over to the other 185 on a road running across the top of Juchitan, as shown on the photo and link.
attachment.php

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...2!3m1!1s0x8595553aa2b0d937:0xb0f2df428f149e64

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics