Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From some searching I have done online, to avoid costly charges it seems you can turn off data roaming and turn on airplane mode the whole time in Mexico, and then it will still allow the wifi feature of your regular phone to be used. So where she could find free wifi, I think she could use her phone to communicate through wechat? Do you think that's correct, and what she may have done? So she wouldn't have needed a Mexican sim card? Is JR sure Jenny got a Mexican sim card?

T-Mobile included unlimited calling in Mexico (& Canada) with their Simple Choice plan, so no need to avoid roaming charges.

A logical decision would be to take advantage of that if you were an existing T-Mobile customer just about to spend significant time in Mexico.

She seemed happy when she met the Chinese guy in Mexico.

She even said that she wanted to hang with him longer because they connected as being Chinese and deciphered things differently that others wouldn't understand.

So he would be a good person to talk to and find out what Jenny really felt pertaining to her life in the United States.

Maybe they re-met up later on during the trip.

Btw. Jenny seems like the type to have a 2nd bank account that she may hide from Jonathan.

Still following and nothing to add. Y'all have gone way beyond. I am simply amazed at the hours of time and brain put into locating Jenny.

Sent from my SM-G930V

Thanks for still being here Lisa. Your support helps a lot without you even adding anything. :)

She seemed happy when she met the Chinese guy in Mexico.

She even said that she wanted to hang with him longer because they connected as being Chinese and deciphered things differently that others wouldn't understand.

So he would be a good person to talk to and find out what Jenny really felt pertaining to her life in the United States.

Maybe they re-met up later on during the trip.

Btw. Jenny seems like the type to have a 2nd bank account that she may hide from Jonathan.

I'm really slipping. I don't remember the Chinese guy. But he would be a good person to talk to for the reasons you mentioned.

I agree that Jenny could easily have money squirreled away in a hidden account. She did work at a bank, after all. JR dismissed the story LE told her parents about her still backpacking by saying she hadn't accessed her money. I remember wondering at the time if he considered the fact that she might have hidden money.

I'm really slipping. I don't remember the Chinese guy. But he would be a good person to talk to for the reasons you mentioned.

I agree that Jenny could easily have money squirreled away in a hidden account. She did work at a bank, after all. JR dismissed the story LE told her parents about her still backpacking by saying she hadn't accessed her money. I remember wondering at the time if he considered the fact that she might have hidden money.

Okay. I'm sorry. She says it was fun to hang out with him for the day. So they probably didn't reconnect later on.

http://m.tw.weibo.com/jennycqd/3955267986933354

Okay. I'm sorry. She says it was fun to hang out with him for the day. So they probably didn't reconnect later on.

http://m.tw.weibo.com/jennycqd/3955267986933354

Thanks for the link. I must have missed it before. It sounds like she found him amusing because she had changed so much. I still think it could be worthwhile for the PI to talk to him if he can be found...just to get a reading on Jenny's thinking, as you said.

T-Mobile included unlimited calling in Mexico (& Canada) with their Simple Choice plan, so no need to avoid roaming charges.

A logical decision would be to take advantage of that if you were an existing T-Mobile customer just about to spend significant time in Mexico.

Thanks, cbeagle. That does sound the logical thing to have done. But, as we know, nothing simple or logical seems to come out of JR's communications! So, we don't know if she had that plan, as it's just one more thing JR has never clarified. He has never said if T-mobile or WeChat was able to give any assistance that could help locate Jenny. I sure hope he has tried, as that would've been the most helpful avenue at the start.

Reading Jenny's SM posts, including her own admission that she had gone back to her psychiatrist, her fascination with a bipolar friend (whom she actually named!), and her risk-taking, I have long believed that mental illness or a personality disorder of some kind may play a role in her travels, inexplicable decisions and disappearance. It probably wasn't so extreme that people noticed anything more than offbeat quirkiness and boundary issues, but we have the advantage of seeing the big picture, over time, in her own words.

Whatever the cause, I think Jenny would have a hard time sustaining relationships (her Mom said she didn't have friends to be in her wedding), fitting in for long at work or socially...or maintaining a marriage. When you travel, you have brief encounters, and no one has a chance to find out much about you. Usually you move on before people tune in to your issues and reject you. You can present yourself however you want on SM, but there would be leakage of the real Jenny that we have picked up on. I think this trip was more about "losing herself" than "finding herself." That would explain a lot, including her strange phone, her refusal to give JR her number and her announcement that she would be out of touch while en route to Cancun, among other decisions. It seems that losing herself became a literal reality, whether by choice or not.
JMO

Excellent post, Lilibet.
Very incisive depiction of Jenny as a person, based on what we've learned. I like your statement, too: "I think this trip was more about "losing herself" than "finding herself."" Very profound!

This is certainly a case I will remember and think about for a long time.

Thanks for still being here Lisa. Your support helps a lot without you even adding anything. :)
I have learned so much from reading the posts in here!
Yall have gone above and beyond for someone unknown until she went missing.
I wish there could be a happy ending.

Sent from my SM-G930V

I would love for him to show some screenshots of their conversations during the 6 weeks.

At least so we can mentally clear him as a suspect / or having any intent of leaving his wife out there with no funds.
I can't imagine the texts since JR seems to have trouble communicating to the public as seen from his posts on the help find Jenny page.
I do wish we could hear more from her family and friends in China.

Sent from my SM-G930V

I truly do not think that Jenny was okay after 4/5.

Now she had daily life updates for years on her weibo.

But on 4/4 she says she arrives to Oaxaca. Now by 12pm she reports almost being raped. Now a hour later she says she we still hitchhike half way across the country to Cancun.

Then on 4/5 she says she must expect danger if she is hitchhiking.

And that's it. No more Weibo ever. Her last post in her Weibo diary. This is very telling.

So was this her way of going off the grid and make Jonathan believe that she was abducted.

Did she truly message him on 4/11 that she would be out of range for a while.

And why update the wechat and possibly facebook but not the weibo when your last posts was about almost being raped but you will continue on.

Now we know Jonathan has access to her Facebook. But does he have admin access to her Wechat as well.

Btw. I can scroll her weibo page just find. But does anybody have her Wechat where an account is not needed to view her posting history?

Oh Jenny it's worse than I thought...IMHO supporting her decision to make this trip is hard to wrap my head around...

:mad:

Was she REALLY that determined? Head strong?

:dunno:

No. She had another agenda. Hopefully we will find out the truth at some point.

Okay. Jenny has spoken to her mother around April 9th.

http://cforum.cari.com.my/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3848016

Qun Qun Yu Dan's brother introduced her last contact with the family is around April 9, when her mother chatted for a while. Qun Yu and her mother had tried to persuade her sister to go back soon, "from her circle of friends, the feeling is not very safe."

Okay. Jenny has spoken to her mother around April 9th.

http://cforum.cari.com.my/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3848016

Qun Qun Yu Dan's brother introduced her last contact with the family is around April 9, when her mother chatted for a while. Qun Yu and her mother had tried to persuade her sister to go back soon, "from her circle of friends, the feeling is not very safe."

The more I think about this and reason it out, this really does sound like some sort of manic episode that stimulated this trip and risky behavior. I am by no mean a psychiatrist, but it appears that way to me. No disrespect intented, just speculation and opinion.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to write a quick message and thank you all for your excellent posts, great job! I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but I did want to address something I think DexterMorgan wrote (forgive me if it wasn't you, Dex! :)) about the lack of participation by Jenny's family on the HFJ Facebook page. People in China are, I believe, blocked from accessing many of the SM sites by their government. I googled it and found this list, which includes Facebook:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_ChinaSo that would explain that small detail of this puzzling story.Thank you all again for keeping this story alive, I hope we can one day find out what became of Jenny, and that it against all odds was something good...

Hi everyone! Just wanted to write a quick message and thank you all for your excellent posts, great job! I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned, but I did want to address something I think DexterMorgan wrote (forgive me if it wasn't you, Dex! :)) about the lack of participation by Jenny's family on the HFJ Facebook page. People in China are, I believe, blocked from accessing many of the SM sites by their government. I googled it and found this list, which includes Facebook:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_ChinaSo that would explain that small detail of this puzzling story.Thank you all again for keeping this story alive, I hope we can one day find out what became of Jenny, and that it against all odds was something good...

Thanks for this invaluable piece of information, Feronia! That definitely gives explanation for the lack of support posts on HFJ by her family or otherwise. So, where might they post. On Weibo? I think I recall Jenny or someone referring to it as the Chinese Facebook. I'm glad you are still following along. That was a great contribution to this thread.

Ok, I am still spending excessive amounts of time thinking about Jenny, so here are some more thoughts I've been kicking around. lol

I was rereading Jenny's weibo entry where she writes about the movie "Wild". She was so excited after seeing the movie. When she got home that night after seeing the movie, she started searching for information on "long distance backpack hiking". She was interested in starting with the Mt. Rainier Wonderland Trail, for practice. Her research found that it would take 12 hours to complete, with 12 hour days of climbing. It excited her to think of being in nature, and temporarily leaving "human civilization". She wrote this on Christmas day, 2014.
http://weibo.com/p/1001603792644416397855?mod=zwenzhang (her writings after the photo is where she talks of Wild. In Chinese, so use google translate if you want to read)

So I think she was, as Lilibet wrote, "losing herself" in Mexico. Maybe she was doing this instead of the Wonderland Trail, as I don't see anything she's written about doing that. She was excited to be cut loose, travel alone, be away from her life in Seattle. We hear she did keep touch with her family, so I think in contrast to what she said about leaving civilization behind, it was more about leaving life in Seattle behind, at least for a while. Maybe...just a thought.

I would like to know when she and JR made the plan that they would meet up in Cancun, and what Jenny's reaction to it was. Was it planned before she left, as part of her itinerary, or did JR make the decision to go when Jenny was already into her trip? Was the idea to meet in Cancun a welcome idea to her? What if it was not her idea, but JR's, and she was not totally keen on the idea, but was going along with it. I feel like maybe she wouldn't have been eager to enjoy Cancun staying in a hotel with JR. Staying in a hotel and sharing Mexico with JR wouldn't have been keeping with the style in which she was wanting to explore Mexico.

I've come to think that something bad did really happen to her on her way to Cancun, though.The fact that she has not been in touch with her family (as far as we know, anyway) is what keeps me from feeling like she ran away on purpose.

Im trying not to be involved in this thread but it's hard to ignore. So since im here.....

The fact that Jenny proclaimed (in writing) to hate China might explain why they (the country) aren't falling all over themselves to help find her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214