Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would say as long as they stay on or near the resort they should be fine. We went to Rivera Maya for our honeymoon 6 years ago and getting there from the airport was a HUGE culture shock. I felt unsafe the entire time even though the resort picked us up. But once we were on the resort it was great. And then we did the resort excursions and they were great too. But they also had an excursion to go shopping some place and there was a huge Caution and warnings about personal safety while out. We did not go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has a friend who lives in Tulum and swears it is a safe city. But she does say it is dangerous to drive from Cancun airport to the resort. They said not to rent a car or take a taxi. They said to take the resorts minibus and say on it until they check in the hotel. lol

She promised they would not go into town at night. Their resort has a dance club so they plan to party there at night, just a few steps away from their suite.

They do plan to go into town for breakfast and also to tour the Mayan Ruins. But they are going with a group excursion so I think it will be fine.

This poor family rented a nice condo but it did not have a phone which went to the front desk or maid service. I think that is important to help keep in contact with others in case of troubles.

"The prosecutors' office in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo said that "the cause of death was asphyxiation from inhaling toxic gases." It said the type of gas hadn't yet been determined, but added that "any violent act or suicide has been discounted."

Photos released by the office showed investigators in anti-contamination suits and firefighters with air tanks examining gas connections to a stove in the condo in Tulum. The office said investigators "carried out a physical investigation of the gas connections in the room," and the civil defense office of Tulum would issue a technical report on the findings."

My heart breaks for the family and friends of the Sharp family. :rose: It seemed clear from early reports that toxic gas poisoning was the likely cause of death. Ugh. So tragic and preventable.

Do we have the link to the rental ad for the condo? Tia.

An autopsy performed on the Iowa parents and their two children who went to sleep inside of a Mexican condo and never woke up died by inhaling toxic gases, according to a press statement from Quintana Roo state attorney general's office.

Kevin Wayne Sharp, 41; his wife, Amy Marie Sharp, 38; Sterling Wayne Sharp, 12; and Adrianna Marie Sharp, 7, died as a result of "asphyxiation by inhalation of toxic gases," the statement read.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/american-family-died-mexican-condo-inhaled-toxic-gases/story?id=53994113

Autopsy findings states family was deceased 36 - 48 hours. That doesnt seem accurate because no one heard from the family for at least 6 days. Hmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I read that as well, but I really think something is just getting lost in translation from Spanish to English. I think they mean that either the family died within 36-48 hours of arriving at the condo OR they mean that the autopsies were performed within 36-48 hours after the bodies were found, not after the family actually died.

We know from reports that a foul smell was noticed by an employee right before the family was found and it was reported that they were at least partly decomposed. I think they had been dead a lot longer than 36-48 hours before being discovered deceased.

My daughter and her boyfriend leave for Tulum in 3 weeks.

Are there such things as 'toxic gas detectors'? I will get them a CO detector to take to their hotel room. I know they will think I am crazy though.LOL

My daughter followed the tragic story of this family because I sent her the link when they were still rerouted as missing. So she is aware. :eek:

And she found the related stories of people in Tulum being served tainted alcohol and the stories of the explosive on the ferries. :eek: :eek:

But they really really want to go see the Mayan Ruins and stay in a beautiful resort on a gorgeous jungle beach. So I am trusting they will be careful and have a great romantic getaway and then return home safely....:candle:

I think it would help to try to get some perspective. This is big news because it almost never happens. It's terrible it happened to this family, but it's not some kind of trend. I don't know whether it's happened in Mexico before, last case I heard was last winter, in Western Canada. It is just as likely (ie extremely unlikely) to happen in the US as in Mexico.

Secodly, 5 million tourists per year visit the state of Quintana Roo (Playa del Carmen and Tulum, south of Cancun. Another 5 million visit Cancun itself.) http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/05/quintana-roo-reaches-new-high-in-number-of-tourists/

In comparison, just traffic accident deaths on US roads is almost 600 deaths per 5 million people per year. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/state-by-state-overview So if you enjoy worrying, you can worry about every time your daughter gets in a car.

I think it would help to try to get some perspective. This is big news because it almost never happens. It's terrible it happened to this family, but it's not some kind of trend. I don't know whether it's happened in Mexico before, last case I heard was last winter, in Western Canada. It is just as likely (ie extremely unlikely) to happen in the US as in Mexico.

Secodly, 5 million tourists per year visit the state of Quintana Roo (Playa del Carmen and Tulum, south of Cancun. Another 5 million visit Cancun itself.) http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/05/quintana-roo-reaches-new-high-in-number-of-tourists/

In comparison, just traffic accident deaths on US roads is almost 600 deaths per 5 million people per year. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/state-by-state-overview So if you enjoy worrying, you can worry about every time your daughter gets in a car.

I agree with most of your post. But there are some problems currently that have to be explained to tourists entering the area.

One main issue is the tainted alcohol which has seriously harmed many people, deaths included:

March 2018:
The State Department warning amplifies alarms about travel to Mexico. An investigation by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which is part of the USA TODAY Network, has found more than 150 travelers have become sick, seriously injured — and in some cases have died — after drinking small and moderate amounts of alcohol at all-inclusive resorts in the country.

Travelers reported, some as recently as last week, being sexually assaulted, beaten, robbed, taken to jail and mistreated at local hospitals. The Journal Sentinel investigation exposed how travelers encounter indifferent — at times hostile — resort workers, police and hospital staff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...er-state-department-travel-warning/410378002/

So we know those things happen everywhere. But if you are a tourist that does not speak the native language fluently and does not have friends or family nearby, these can be very difficult situations to deal with or prevent.

I do not 'enjoy' worrying. But when my 'baby' travels to an area, where the State Department just posted a Travel Warning---I AM going to worry as any Mama would.

ETA:

" ,,,the U.S. State Department recently updated a travel advisory to the area, urging Americans to carefully consider their travel to the region. On March 16, a travel advisory was issued at a level 2, which indicates travelers should "exercise increased caution" for the Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya."

"Exercise increased caution due to crime," reads the advisory. "According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred."

This new advisory is similar to a warning from the U.S. State Department in August of 2017, which cautioned travelers visiting the state to be aware, declaring that "U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, including homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery" in these regions as a result of increased activity between "rival criminal organizations."

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a12054438/tulum-mexico-travel-warning/

Here's the Noti Tulum post: https://www.facebook.com/notitulum/posts/1603119006402290

Initial autopsy results have cause of death as "toxic gasses", though they weren't able to (or didn't want to publicly, at least) conclusively identify the specific type of gas. They're sending some samples to some other office (PGR Mexico) and expect their results in 10 days. No sign of violence, bodies had been dead 36-48 hours when discovered.

There's some pictures at the post of people in hazmat type suits taking readings at a stove, and what I guess are some furnace vents.

If they are looking at a stove and furnace then I bet the toxic gas was carbon monoxide. If it were a natural gas leak they should have known right away because of the smell and also natural gas would be an explosion hazard. Also, natural gas isn't toxic at low levels, it would have to be high levels to cause death. Pesticides could also be toxic gases, but in that case why would they be investigating the stove and furnace? So, carbon monoxide is most likely the toxic gas that caused this.

This is so sad and my prayers are with their families.

When we bought our first rental home property the first thing we did is change the gas heating system out to electric. I have always been so terrified of gas. I had a gas stove blow up in my face when I was five. I remember it burned all of my hair in front including my bangs, my eyebrows and blistered my face. Thank goodness not a lot of gas had escaped to make it really dangerous. But I knew I would always be so worried if the renters had gas for heat. So we had it taken out and the outside tank removed as well. We replaced it with a high energy cost saving system where the ac and heat is all electric.

It is so tragic the entire family was overcome by the gas fumes that had to be filling the condo without them even realizing how much danger they were in.

IMO

Carbon monoxide doesn't smell. Its colorless and odorless. There would be no way for them to know they were exposed to it without a detector.

"Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure."
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/carbon-monoxides-impact-indoor-air-quality

I agree with most of your post. But there are some problems currently that have to be explained to tourists entering the area.

One main issue is the tainted alcohol which has seriously harmed many people, deaths included:

March 2018:
The State Department warning amplifies alarms about travel to Mexico. An investigation by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which is part of the USA TODAY Network, has found more than 150 travelers have become sick, seriously injured — and in some cases have died — after drinking small and moderate amounts of alcohol at all-inclusive resorts in the country.

Travelers reported, some as recently as last week, being sexually assaulted, beaten, robbed, taken to jail and mistreated at local hospitals. The Journal Sentinel investigation exposed how travelers encounter indifferent — at times hostile — resort workers, police and hospital staff.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...er-state-department-travel-warning/410378002/

So we know those things happen everywhere. But if you are a tourist that does not speak the native language fluently and does not have friends or family nearby, these can be very difficult situations to deal with or prevent.

I do not 'enjoy' worrying. But when my 'baby' travels to an area, where the State Department just posted a Travel Warning---I AM going to worry as any Mama would.

ETA:

" ,,,the U.S. State Department recently updated a travel advisory to the area, urging Americans to carefully consider their travel to the region. On March 16, a travel advisory was issued at a level 2, which indicates travelers should "exercise increased caution" for the Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya."

"Exercise increased caution due to crime," reads the advisory. "According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred."

This new advisory is similar to a warning from the U.S. State Department in August of 2017, which cautioned travelers visiting the state to be aware, declaring that "U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, including homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery" in these regions as a result of increased activity between "rival criminal organizations."

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a12054438/tulum-mexico-travel-warning/
And people need to be aware that the tainted alcohol isn't drinks being spiked, it's bottled bootleg liquor. Making sure that the bartender opens the bottle in front of you can't protect against that.

The Mexican government has long acknowledged that the nation has a problem with adulterated alcohol. A 2017 report by Euromonitor International found 36% of the alcohol consumed in the country is illegal, meaning it is*sold or produced under unregulated circumstances and potentially dangerous.

The study, done in collaboration with the nation’s Tax Administration Service, found that was an improvement from two years earlier, when 43% was illegal.
-snip-
The liquor store owner said the counterfeiters come into his store every so often and try to sell it to him for half the price of the legitimate brands.

The counterfeit alcohol comes in authentic, recycled bottles that they’ve bought on the black market*and refilled.

Demand for bottles to use for bootleg booze is so prevalent, the Mexican government encourages bars, restaurants and resorts to break their empty bottles so they can’t be used illegally.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...ake-action-tainted-alcohol-resorts/519101001/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If they are looking at a stove and furnace then I bet the toxic gas was carbon monoxide. If it were a natural gas leak they should have known right away because of the smell and also natural gas would be an explosion hazard. Also, natural gas isn't toxic at low levels, it would have to be high levels to cause death. Pesticides could also be toxic gases, but in that case why would they be investigating the stove and furnace? So, carbon monoxide is most likely the toxic gas that caused this.

Anxiously awaiting final results of the type of gas involved. Am buying a CO monitor/alarm for my daughter when she and granddaughter go to Mexico in May.

Autopsy findings states family was deceased 36 - 48 hours. That doesnt seem accurate because no one heard from the family for at least 6 days. Hmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
That HAS to be a typo or something because if not, it doesn't make sense. They should have been leaving by then, and like you said, nobody had heard from them in a week...

**EDIT** Someone said probably a translation error. Makes sense!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A local condo manager at a different complex in Akumal, Mexico, previously told PEOPLE that the local community is reeling from the family’s death — and also offered up an explanation as to how the family could have accidentally left the gas on in their condo.

“It’s so sad. We’re all talking about it, they were such a beautiful family. All of their money and belongings were there so it wasn’t a crime. We can’t believe this happened,” the local condo manager told PEOPLE, adding that “we are really shaken up in the community.”

Speculating as to how the family could have died, the condo manager went on to explain, “We all think that they tried to use the stove at night, and when it didn’t light they assumed it didn’t work and accidentally left the gas on.We don’t have pilot lights because of the wind, so you light them.”

http://people.com/crime/iowa-family-died-toxic-gas-asphyxiation/

And people need to be aware that the tainted alcohol isn't drinks being spiked, it's bottled bootleg liquor. Making sure that the bartender opens the bottle in front of you can't protect against that.

The Mexican government has long acknowledged that the nation has a problem with adulterated alcohol. A 2017 report by Euromonitor International found 36% of the alcohol consumed in the country is illegal, meaning it is*sold or produced under unregulated circumstances and potentially dangerous.

The study, done in collaboration with the nation’s Tax Administration Service, found that was an improvement from two years earlier, when 43% was illegal.
-snip-
The liquor store owner said the counterfeiters come into his store every so often and try to sell it to him for half the price of the legitimate brands.

The counterfeit alcohol comes in authentic, recycled bottles that they’ve bought on the black market*and refilled.

Demand for bottles to use for bootleg booze is so prevalent, the Mexican government encourages bars, restaurants and resorts to break their empty bottles so they can’t be used illegally.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...ake-action-tainted-alcohol-resorts/519101001/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am wondering if it is safer then to drink BEER and WINE instead of hard liquor?

My daughter and her bf prefer beer or wine anyway. Maybe they should just stick to that while they are in Mexico?

Wow.Such a tragic story, especially because they were on vacation having good family times, the kind you remember forever.

At least all four of them left this earth together.

If it were a natural gas leak they should have known right away because of the smell...

In its purest state, natural gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless. A harmless chemical (the most common is mercaptan) is added to natural gas to make it smell and easier to detect. Many people describe the odor of this additive as similar to rotten eggs.
http://www.safegasmaryland.org/about/about.cfm

Just because things are done one way in the U.S. doesn't mean they are done the same in Mexico; so it's possible they didn't add the additive in this area of Mexico.

The problem with it being carbon monoxide is that if it were a gas stove used for cooking it would dissipate after the stove was shut off. And why would a furnace be operating because of the tropical heat?

http://www.safegasmaryland.org/about/about.cfm

Just because things are done one way in the U.S. doesn't mean they are done the same in Mexico; so it's possible they didn't add the additive in this area of Mexico.

The problem with it being carbon monoxide is that if it were a gas stove used for cooking it would dissipate after the stove was shut off. And why would a furnace be operating because of the tropical heat?

Natural gas isn't toxic until levels get high. If they were dead for days with a natural gas leak, levels of gas had to be high and it'd be an explosion hazard.

"Natural gas is non-toxic (non-poisonous), but can cause death by suffocation if the gas displaces the air in a confined space."

http://www.pinedalegas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=493

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back