Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Natural gas isn't toxic until levels get high. If they were dead for days with a natural gas leak, levels of gas had to be high and it'd be an explosion hazard.

"Natural gas is non-toxic (non-poisonous), but can cause death by suffocation if the gas displaces the air in a confined space."

http://www.pinedalegas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=493

Natural gas also has an odor, and it sounds as though at least the kids were awake so they should have smelled it.

Natural gas also has an odor, and it sounds as though at least the kids were awake so they should have smelled it.
Natural gas is odorless there is an additive to make it detectable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I am wondering if it is safer then to drink BEER and WINE instead of hard liquor?

My daughter and her bf prefer beer or wine anyway. Maybe they should just stick to that while they are in Mexico?
Yes! Beer and wine are exactly what is recommended!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A local condo manager at a different complex in Akumal, Mexico, previously told PEOPLE that the local community is reeling from the family’s death — and also offered up an explanation as to how the family could have accidentally left the gas on in their condo.

“It’s so sad. We’re all talking about it, they were such a beautiful family. All of their money and belongings were there so it wasn’t a crime. We can’t believe this happened,” the local condo manager told PEOPLE, adding that “we are really shaken up in the community.”

Speculating as to how the family could have died, the condo manager went on to explain, “We all think that they tried to use the stove at night, and when it didn’t light they assumed it didn’t work and accidentally left the gas on.We don’t have pilot lights because of the wind, so you light them.”

http://people.com/crime/iowa-family-died-toxic-gas-asphyxiation/
They don't have pilot lights because of the wind? So... The kitchen is windy??? [emoji848]

They don't have pilot lights because of the wind? So... The kitchen is windy??? [emoji848]

The gas stoves that one has to light are not uncommon outside the US.

Natural gas is odorless there is an additive to make it detectable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well, if they are not adding that additive down in Mexico that obviously is extremely dangerous.

The gas stoves that one has to light are not uncommon outside the US.
I don't doubt that. What I find odd is the condo manager saying that they don't have pilot lights because of the wind. (as quoted above)

I don't doubt that. What I find odd is the condo manager saying that they don't have pilot lights because of the wind. (as quoted above)

If people keep windows open, I presume.

I am wondering if it is safer then to drink BEER and WINE instead of hard liquor?

My daughter and her bf prefer beer or wine anyway. Maybe they should just stick to that while they are in Mexico?
Bottled beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The bodies of a family of four from Iowa are expected to be returned to the United States on Wednesday as their loved ones expressed disbelief that they died in their Mexico vacation condo when they were overcome by toxic gas as they slept.

Family members of Kevin and Amy Sharp and their two children -- 12-year-old Wayne and 7-year-old Adrianna -- were making funeral arrangements today, a day after Mexican authorities informed them that autopsies showed their relatives died as a result of "asphyxiation by inhalation of toxic gases."

[...]

They rented their vacation condo through VRBO, a website homeowners use to rent their properties to travelers.

"Our most heartfelt condolences go out to the loved ones of the Sharp family. We are monitoring this devastating situation closely and have removed the property from our site for any future bookings while we wait for more details," VRBO's parent company, HomeAway, said in a statement to ABC News.

[...]

The TAO homeowners association said in its statement that the unit the Sharps died in was sold in November 2013 by developers of the TAO complex to a private owner, who "became the legal representative and also, accountable for its maintenance."

[...]

"They said it's either the hot water heater or the gas stove," Hoyt said of the possible source of the toxic gas leak.

[...]

"We thought the worse. We did get some closure knowing it wasn't a violent situation," she said.

"Our main concern right now is getting our family back. We haven't even thought of any lawsuit or anything like that," Hoyt added.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bodies-american-family-killed-gas-poisoning-mexico-coming/story?id=54001040

I would trust Mexican autopsies as much as I would trust Thai police to conclude COD. Very sad and I really hope they get a second autopsy, but by the sounds of it, it seems like they just want to bury them.

On the resort liquor is ok. Actually cheaper and more preferred to water. Lol. Do not drink the tap water. I even brushed my teeth with bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if one wanted to light the stove or oven and it didn’t automatically light up, one would just leave the knob in the “on” position? I don’t really think these people would have been that stupid. wondering if one of the condos very nearby was using a generator due to no power?

If the pilot light had been out on the water heater before the family arrived, I would think they would have smelled the gas as soon as entering the condo. Possible Mexico does not use an additive to detect the smell. That is very scary. Hoping the place my daughter and granddaughter are staying is all electric. I’m going to do some research on that and may even make a phone call.

There is no pilot light. It's a different design. You have to use a lighter to light the stove. First you turn the knob, then you use the lighter. I think they are suggesting the family turned the knob on the stove, didn't use the lighter because they didn't know they are supposed to, and left the stove on (didn't turn the knob back) because they thought it didn't work. They would have smelled the gas quickly if they did so, unless Mexico doesn't use additives?

There is no pilot light. It's a different design. You have to use a lighter to light the stove. First you turn the knob, then you use the lighter. I think they are suggesting the family turned the knob on the stove, didn't use the lighter because they didn't know they are supposed to, and left the stove on (didn't turn the knob back) because they thought it didn't work.

That’s what I gathered but wondered if anyone would just leave it in the “on” position??? I did a look up and it seems that gas used in Mexico is propane. Not able to find out whether or not ethyl mercaptan is added to the propane or not. I have sent an email to the resort that my daughter and granddaughter are staying at to find out if they are all electric or not.

That’s what I gathered but wondered if anyone would just leave it in the “on” position??? I did a look up and it seems that gas used in Mexico is propane. Not able to find out whether or not ethyl mercaptan is added to the propane or not. I have sent an email to the resort that my daughter and granddaughter are staying at to find out if they are all electric or not.

I am not convinced this is what happened, but if they didn't know they are supposed to use the lighter and thought it didn't work, I guess it's a possibility.

If the stove was using propane and was turned on, propane could have caused hypoxia (which is what the family reportedly died from) and death. Propane is highly flammable so its combined with a chemical that give it smell to know that it's leaking, but maybe it wasn't done where they were staying?

"Even if propane is not ignited, the buildup of the gas can be deadly due to inhalation. Breathing the gas can cause hypoxia, which is a form of oxygen deprivation that can lead to death."
https://www.hunker.com/12431348/what-are-the-dangers-of-propane-gas

There is no pilot light. It's a different design. You have to use a lighter to light the stove. First you turn the knob, then you use the lighter. I think they are suggesting the family turned the knob on the stove, didn't use the lighter because they didn't know they are supposed to, and left the stove on (didn't turn the knob back) because they thought it didn't work. I've used stoves like that, they are common outside the US. They would have smelled the gas quickly if they did so, unless Mexico doesn't use additives?

I had house guests a couple of months back who are used to all electric. I have a gas stove. I was in the shower and they wanted to put something on the stove for breakfast. They turned it on and then they went to get ready for the morning. I got out of the shower walked into the kitchen and smelled gas. I saw that they had turned it halfway on and walked away. They had no idea that you had to light it and apparently they did not see that it was not lit when they walked away. I evacuated the house after I turned it off. If indeed it was because they left it on, the knob should say it was in that position I would think. That is different than a leak, and if they found a knob in the on position on the stove., I think they would have noted that.. the photograph on the above Facebook link that somebody put up earlier shows a thermometer hanging from one of the racks in the stove, but I don't see any gas sensor or a knob turned on in that photo.

I wish mainstream media would investigate it more, especially our comments about do they do additives for smell in Mexico for propane/gas, and to learn what positions the knobs were in. I look forward to knowing the results of where the leak was coming from in further reports.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back