Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But then there's this article dated March 8th, just a week before this family arrived in Mexico.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playa-del-carmen-mexico-us-travel-warning/

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has issued a new travel alert for the Caribbean resort city of Playa del Carmen, where an explosion on a tourist ferry injured 26 people last month. The embassy says in an alert posted on its website that it received information Wednesday about a "security threat" in that city and U.S. government employees are prohibited from going there.

[...]

The resort is near Mexico's most popular tourist destinations, like Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum.

Parents Kevin and Amy Sharp, of Creston, headed out of the country with kids Sterling and Adrianna, reportedly bound for Tulum on Mexico’s Caribbean coast. They arrived safely last week, according to a Creston police official, but no one has heard from them since.

[...]

Peterson said that the Sharps had been set to return to the United States on Wednesday afternoon.

The police official did not have ages for each of the four missing family members but says daughter Adrianna is the youngest.

http://people.com/crime/iowa-family-missing-mexico-vacation/

If their phones pinged and have not moved, how hard would it be to locate those phones? I know nothing about towers and pings.

If their phones pinged and have not moved, how hard would it be to locate those phones? I know nothing about towers and pings.

Someone has to go to Mexico and file the missing persons with the local police. The VRBO owner would know whether they 'checked out' of their unit, hopefully someone knows who that was.

Yikes. Very scary.

I have been googling about Tulum for about a week now. My daughter and her boyfriend are traveling to Tulum in April. :eek:

I was very worried and googled urgently, hoping to find something to convince her it was too dangerous. But it does seem like a very safe, well traveled town.

However there is cartel violence and gang problems in certain outlying areas and there are warnings about travel at night etc.

I wonder where the condo is located?

[...]

Nauert did not specify the nature of the threat. However, the State Department issued a separate emergency message last week notifying US citizens of an undetonated explosive device discovered on a ferry. That incident came about a week after an explosive device detonated on another ferry, injuring several passengers.

US officials have been in touch with Mexican law enforcement officials who are leading the investigation, Nauert said at a news briefing.

“Clearly, there is a threat,” said Nauert. “We’re making Americans aware of that threat so that Americans can protect their own safety and the safety of their families.”

http://fox2now.com/2018/03/23/missing-iowa-family-was-set-to-land-in-st-louis-from-mexico/

A friend who travels there annually says that cell phone service is terrible in most of the area. So they leave their regular phones in the house and get a burner from Mexico to use for emergencies instead. So maybe it's not such a bad sign that their phones aren't moving, they may not have them.

We use the Find My Phone app all the time, it's fairly accurate. I'm surprised they haven't been able to pinpoint the location of the phone yet.

Family said that they usually posted many photos on vacation, but there seems to be none on their FB from this one
Makes me wonder if something happened to them within a day or so of arrival
The condo and baggage should tell a lot.
How many pieces of clothing were worn, etc

There is a report on a Facebook page called Noti Tulum that a family of four has been found dead in a condo in that area, and the description fits. Facebook just decided to stop working for me, so I can't link. Not sure if that page is an official source though :(

We use the Find My Phone app all the time, it's fairly accurate. I'm surprised they haven't been able to pinpoint the location of the phone yet.

The family used find my phone and the phones are showing that they are still in Mexico and the location hasn't moved since they started checking. (Info in original FB missing post comments)

A friend who travels there annually says that cell phone service is terrible in most of the area. So they leave their regular phones in the house and get a burner from Mexico to use for emergencies instead. So maybe it's not such a bad sign that their phones aren't moving, they may not have them.

It's a bad sign that they missed their flight back to the US earlier this week, though. Even if their phones don't work well in Mexico or if they lost their phones or something, they should have been on their flight back to St. Louis.

A Creston family has been reported missing in Mexico and local police are working with the State Department to investigate their whereabouts. On Friday morning, the Creston Police Department confirmed they received a valid missing persons report regarding Kevin, Amy, Sterling and Adrianna Sharp.

Family member Ashli Peterson posted on Facebook Thursday night that the Sharp family left the United States for Tulum, Mexico, on March 15. They were supposed to return from their trip on Wednesday from Cancun, Mexico, and arrive in St. Louis. Then, they were supposed to travel to Danville, Illinois, for a basketball game Thursday. However, she wrote there has been no contact from them since March 15, when they notified their relatives that they made it to Mexico safely..
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...owa-family-reported-missing-mexico/452511002/
636574037115782063-sharps.jpg

The issue one thinks about is that Mexico has lots of problems with a violent drug culture.

Here is Amy's & Kevin's FBs. She took a beautiful picture of the ocean. I'm really scared for this family. Mexico is the wild wild west and very dangerous outside of a resort.

https://www.facebook.com/amy.sharp.39

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.sharp.35

That is not true, a complete over-generalization. Some remote areas of the country are controlled by cartels, but that doesn't apply to the whole country.

Tulum is a very chic and popular destination for people from the eastern seaboard, who are into yoga or private luxury or techo music, and don't like all-inclusive tourist compounds. It has high end restaurants, cool beach clubs, expensive condos, and is very safe.

Some people have gotten into trouble because of their drug use, or getting into cars/taxis late at night and being robbed.

It's just heartbreaking. I hope that whatever happened they didn't suffer. It's too sad, a whole family like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back