MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bail Discussion:

Prosecution: There is a strong likelihood of conviction. The gun was purchased for his son. Mrs. Crumbley went to the shooting range with her son and posted on social media that this gun was his christmas present. Both Defendants were aware that he was searing ammunition - Mrs. Crumbley texted "LOL I'm not mad, next time don't get caught." On the 30th, they were called to the school regarding a drawing that depicted acts of violence, they chose not to disclose to the school that he might be dangerous, that he had access to a gun, and didn't take him home. After the active shooter situation, she texted him "Ethan, Don't Do It." Mr. Crumbly checked his gun. They could have stopped it, they didn't secure the weapon and allowed him free access to it. Purpose of bond is to further court appearances. Clearly, the defendants didn't tell their lawyers the truth, they didn't turn themselves in. They withdrew $4K from Rochester which is very close. They weren't out of town. Instead they fled, and they were eventually tracked down because a witness saw it. They were found locked in a room hiding. They aren't people that can be assured to return to court on their own.

The court should also consider members of community to vouch for the defendants.

Bail:

Defendant's Attorney: She texted the prosecutor they could talk. Prosecutor said they could text the next morning, Friday. They claim they called the prosecutors office all day and they were never called back. The prosecutors office decided to have a press conference and catch the clients off guard. Lawyers claim they were in contact with the parents. The last texts/phone and they were going to drive them to district court for an arraignment at 8:30am. They were absolutely going to turn themselves in and it was a matter of logistics. All the prosecutor had to do was respond to us.

Jennifer: She's 43, director of marketing, grew up in Clarkson, she's never been in serious trouble with the law, drunk driving conviction from college - any conviction is a misdemeanor and is old. She retained the lawyers had she not planned to turn themselves in and fight the case. The facts are incomplete - they didn't give the child the gun and knew that the was going to do this. The gun was actual locked. There is far more going on than what the court has been made aware of. They would agree to a GPS monitor, and conditions. But it doesn't warrant a $500,000 bond. Asked for $50-100K bond. Clients will fight the charges and they are devastated just as everyone else. Ask the court to set reasonable bond.

James: 45 years old, prior conviction from 2004 - any convictions were misdemeanors, no substance abuse issues, he is diabetic, gainfully employed.

FFxSkm1WYAITgPl

Statement from the attorneys ahead of the arraignment.

https://twitter.com/mikerreports/status/1467138371344637953
Oh now they’re saying they ‘fully intended’ to turn themselves in this morning? Bull poop. MOO

Prosecutor's response: The court hasn't heard all the facts, bc I have an ethical duty to not disclose everything.

No one needs permission to go to the court or the police department to turn themselves in. The whole country knew these charges were coming, how would they be surprised. yes, this is in the media because 4 children were injured.

Court:

The court has some concern about flight risk and public safety.

$500K Bail for Jennifer Crumbley. If she can make that, there are conditions in place.
$500K Bail for James Crumbley. Same conditions.

Thrilled they are in custody and I do hope the person who called in the tip receives the reward. The wanted posters said "up to $10,000," so I'm unclear what the reward actually is, and is that reward money for each of the Crumbleys, separately? So a double reward?

Whatever mental troubles Ethan had prior to the murders, I cannot fathom what’s going through his mind now, knowing that his parents left him to rot? Parents who according to James’ ex reportedly indulged him up until now?

The cognitive dissonance—parents who ran away from home when their child was in jail for murder.

That MJS story absolutely blew my mind! Maybe he wasn't living here in 2018, but that is not an excuse.

This must be the 2020s equivalent of bomb threats. Those were fairly common in the 1970s, a decade when there was a shooting at my junior high (1972) and even though I went there just a few years later, I never knew about it until people who were there told the story on that school's Facebook account! In short, a boy who was being bullied brought a rifle to school and fired a few bullets into the wall, and was tackled by a teacher before he could shoot any more. Several kids had minor injuries from jumping out a first-floor window; the teacher was given a leave of absence for the rest of the year, and I heard that he died recently at the age of 80.

Ethan could have been inspired by any shooting since there are so many now but I think Columbine was the first most publicized. Since the Oxhord HS school shooting is in the news cycle, copycats may make empty or actual threats because it's on their minds.
I remember hearing about bomb threats in HS, but no school shootings.
Damn, that teacher is a hero who possibly saved many lives.

I don't believe the parents that the gun was locked up. Throw the book at them. If a conviction is not reached, at least these charges might scare the living daylights out of parents who are careless with their guns and shrug off how serious it is to let their children have access to guns with no supervision.

I guess it depends on how you define affluent , the Couche’s were mega millionaires wealthy and argued that the son’s affluent lifestyle contributed to him not knowing that driving intoxicated was wrong. They used their mega wealth to protect him. I think the two families had very different lifestyles MOO
I agree this isn’t a case of affluenza, just an average case of over indulgence of a child combined with neglect of his mental health, and the mental health issues of the parents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member