MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents of suspected Michigan school shooter plead not guilty to manslaughter charges (nbcnews.com)

James and Jennifer Crumbley were arrested Saturday morning in Detroit following a manhunt.

James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the teenager accused of killing four people in a Michigan high school shooting, pleaded not guilty to charges against them.

The couple was arraigned in court Saturday morning on four counts each of involuntary manslaughter.

Jennifer Crumbley cried as she told the judge that she understands the charges against her. She and her husband both appeared virtually for the hearing.

They are being represented by Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman, who are from the same firm.

James and Jennifer Crumbley were arrested earlier Saturday morning in Detroit following a manhunt. They were found inside a commercial building, Detroit Police Department Chief James E. White said at a news conference...
The Daily Mail is reporting both parents have previous criminal records but do not specify the crimes. Anybody know? (Thanks, guys. Your research is pretty amazing.)

I don't believe the parents that the gun was locked up. Throw the book at them. If a conviction is not reached, at least these charges might scare the living daylights out of parents who are careless with their guns and shrug off how serious it is to let their children have access to guns with no supervision.

Michigan is a state that doesn't have a law requiring that guns be locked up, it has no child access prevention law. So, legally, the gun didn't need to be locked up.

The poor parents of those beautiful children who were slaughtered in a moment.
The misdeeds of the parents of their killer sucked all the air out of the room and no one is focused on the real loss during the most difficult days of their life.
I hope the press can get on with honoring them now.

The school's response given the notes they saw is disturbing. The parents not disclosing the new firearm and asking about the gun is even more disturbing. I am glad that the parents are charged. Now, there may be some school officials who need to be scrutinized and assessed about their decision making. How could it be that they had no right to send him home? They had already had the parents be non-responsive to the ammunition internet search and now they had escalating concerns which seemed to be met with little or no concern by the family.

Most, if not all, schools have protocols about what happens when you see a kid in this kind of condition ---even committees that look at potential student threats based on behavior in the community. The families in this community should be beating down the doors to know what went wrong here. Four kids are dead. Others gravely wounded and permanently affected. His writings definitely could have qualified as an emergency call to 911. I have been in settings where the school has called 911 because the child appears at risk of self harm or harm to others. This way the child is taken off campus and the family deals with highly qualified professionals at the hospital about the risk/threat self-harm or harm to others rather than less trained professionals at the school acting outside of their training. This tragedy may have been prevented on multiple fronts.

The Daily Mail is reporting both parents have previous criminal records but do not specify the crimes. Anybody know? (Thanks, guys. Your research is pretty amazing.)

Mom had an old non-felony DUI. (from an NBC news account that has been updated and not there anymore)

Last edited:
The school's response given the notes they saw is disturbing. The parents not disclosing the new firearm and asking about the gun is even more disturbing. I am glad that the parents are charged. Now, there may be some school officials who need to be scrutinized and assessed about their decision making. How could it be that they had no right to send him home? They had already had the parents be non-responsive to the ammunition internet search and now they had escalating concerns which seemed to be met with little or no concern by the family.

Most, if not all, schools have protocols about what happens when you see a kid in this kind of condition ---even committees that look at potential student threats based on behavior in the community. The families in this community should be beating down the doors to know what went wrong here. Four kids are dead. Others gravely wounded and permanently affected. His writings definitely could have qualified as an emergency call to 911. I have been in settings where the school has called 911 because the child appears at risk of self harm or harm to others. This way the child is taken off campus and the family deals with highly qualified professionals at the hospital about the risk/threat self-harm or harm to others rather than less trained professionals at the school acting outside of their training. This tragedy may have been prevented on multiple fronts.

100% agree

Michigan is a state that doesn't have a law requiring that guns be locked up, it has no child access prevention law. So, legally, the gun didn't need to be locked up.
Good point.

I think the charges against the parents are based on the totality of the situation:

Knew son had violence based behavior problems. But.... still gifted him a weapon, took him to a shooting range, were unconcerned that he was buying ammunition on his own, and refused to cooperate with school staff.

So.... failure to lock up this particular weapon given these particular circumstances constitutes Involuntary Manslaughter.

IMO, the totality of the parent's actions are so, well.. willfully stupid that I really hope that anymore evidence of facilitation- no matter how small, leads to murder charges against the parents as well.

FFxSkm1WYAITgPl

Statement from the attorneys ahead of the arraignment.

https://twitter.com/mikerreports/status/1467138371344637953
Well I guess they’re still representing them!

Maybe it’s just me, but if I were a defense attorney and my clients were being hunted down by US Marshalls, I don’t think I’d admit to being so incompetent that I didn’t know they had an arraignment. On a flight, in court, late day filings.. whatever. That’s their JOB.

They were just sleeping in a Detroit commercial building because they were scared. They were going to turn themselves in at 8:30 this morning their lawyers said.
Who knows what a jury will decide for them but their concern that their son is going to be in prison for a long time does not appear to be their priority.
They probably would have gotten that $50,000-100,000 bail if they had not been so scared that they ran away.
Maybe someone will raise funds online for them.

Were they as scared as the students who were being gunned down in their school hallway earlier this week? Those kids didn’t have the luxury of jumping in a car and running away to hide.

James Crumbley's ex says he left them strapped for cash, calls Jennifer a 'monster'

https://www.wxyz.com/news/oxford-sc...em-strapped-for-cash-calls-jennifer-a-monster

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WXYZ) — Michelle Cobb holds nothing back when describing James Crumbley, her ex-boyfriend and the father of her 18-year-old son.

"He's a piece of (expletive). He really is," Cobb told 7 Action News Friday.

Cobb said Crumbley left their son and a daughter he had with another woman in Florida when he moved out of state with Jennifer Crumbley.

So, here is my issue with the district and it is embedded in this response. The issue is not about discipline. The issue is about action warranted. A child who appears to be having mental issues is no different than a child with a physical ailment who needs attention. The drawings were enough to warrant him seeing a medical professional immediately . The superindendent's response raises more concerns about the systems and decision making in place in this district.

In a video message to the community Thursday, the head of Oxford Community Schools said the high school looks like a “war zone” and won’t be ready for weeks. Superintendent Tim Throne repeatedly complimented students and staff for how they responded to the violence.

He also acknowledged the meeting of Crumbley, the parents and school officials. Throne offered no details but summed it up by saying, “No discipline was warranted.”

McDonald was asked about the decision to keep Crumbley in school.

“Of course, he shouldn’t have gone back to that classroom. ... I believe that is a universal position. I’m not going to chastise or attack, but yeah,” she said.

Asked if school officials may potentially be charged, McDonald said: “The investigation’s ongoing.” (Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley deny charges of involuntary manslaughter)

Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect plead not guilty, held on $500K bond each

By running out on their court hearing they just got their bond put up at half a mil each. Now guaranteed to stay in the place they were trying to avoid!

upload_2021-12-4_11-41-52.png
PHOTO: This image from 52-1 District Court shows Jennifer Crumbley and her husband James Crumbley as they are arraigned in Oakland Co., Mich., on Dec. 4, 2021. (52-1 District Court via AP)
upload_2021-12-4_11-42-12.png

The couple was caught by the Detroit Police Department when a business owner called 911 after spotting the suspects' car in their parking lot and Jennifer Crumbley standing next to it, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

She fled the area on foot, but the couple was located in a commercial building after an extensive search of the area. They were taken into custody "without incident," Detroit Police Chief James White said at a 3 a.m. press conference, and were unarmed.

White said the duo was "aided in getting into the building" and some charges might be filed against the person who let them inside. He also said it was "very likely" they were trying to flee to Canada.

Maybe it’s just me, but if I were a defense attorney and my clients were being hunted down by US Marshalls, I don’t think I’d admit to being so incompetent that I didn’t know they had an arraignment. On a flight, in court, late day filings.. whatever. That’s their JOB.

And, if they were in constant communication with their clients, they could have gone to where they were and been there when the police apprehended them. I guess they didn't really know if their clients had firearms, didn't know where they were (or didn't want to know b/c they could be on the hook if they didn't disclose) or know their clients well enough to believe that they would turn themselves. Many lawyers have clients come to their office and guide them as they turn themselves in. It makes me think that they were as clueless because their clients were keeping them that way as they made a plan to escape. Now, they as the lawyers have to make it seem like it was all part of the plan.....JMHO.

Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect plead not guilty, held on $500K bond each

By running out on their court hearing they just got their bond put up at half a mil each. Now guaranteed to stay in the place they were trying to avoid!

View attachment 325315
PHOTO: This image from 52-1 District Court shows Jennifer Crumbley and her husband James Crumbley as they are arraigned in Oakland Co., Mich., on Dec. 4, 2021. (52-1 District Court via AP)
View attachment 325316

The couple was caught by the Detroit Police Department when a business owner called 911 after spotting the suspects' car in their parking lot and Jennifer Crumbley standing next to it, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

She fled the area on foot, but the couple was located in a commercial building after an extensive search of the area. They were taken into custody "without incident," Detroit Police Chief James White said at a 3 a.m. press conference, and were unarmed.

White said the duo was "aided in getting into the building" and some charges might be filed against the person who let them inside. He also said it was "very likely" they were trying to flee to Canada.

If they were trying to go to Canada, I hope they had their vaccine card with them. Otherwise they might not have been able to cross the border. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz