MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-4_11-56-46.png
    upload_2021-12-4_11-56-46.png
    588.1 KB · Views: 14
I don't believe for a moment that they planned on turning themselves in. If so, why were they hiding when LE found them?

They were in Detroit suspected of planning to go to Canada. Windsor Canada is across the Detroit river.

Windsor is a city in southwestern Ontario, Canada, on the south bank of the Detroit River directly across from Detroit, Michigan, United States.

Maybe it’s just me, but if I were a defense attorney and my clients were being hunted down by US Marshalls, I don’t think I’d admit to being so incompetent that I didn’t know they had an arraignment. On a flight, in court, late day filings.. whatever. That’s their JOB.

Their attorney could have watched the Prosecutor's PC after she got out of court, and arranged for her clients to turn themselves in last night, IMO. Did the attorney contact the US Marshals?

So, here is my issue with the district and it is embedded in this response. The issue is not about discipline. The issue is about action warranted. A child who appears to be having mental issues is no different than a child with a physical ailment who needs attention. The drawings were enough to warrant him seeing a medical professional immediately . The superindendent's response raises more concerns about the systems and decision making in place in this district.

In a video message to the community Thursday, the head of Oxford Community Schools said the high school looks like a “war zone” and won’t be ready for weeks. Superintendent Tim Throne repeatedly complimented students and staff for how they responded to the violence.

He also acknowledged the meeting of Crumbley, the parents and school officials. Throne offered no details but summed it up by saying, “No discipline was warranted.”

McDonald was asked about the decision to keep Crumbley in school.

“Of course, he shouldn’t have gone back to that classroom. ... I believe that is a universal position. I’m not going to chastise or attack, but yeah,” she said.

Asked if school officials may potentially be charged, McDonald said: “The investigation’s ongoing.” (Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley deny charges of involuntary manslaughter)
I’m wondering though if it was just a counsellor talking to the parents and that counsellor made that decision or were other school officials involved as well? I’m sure that counsellor is going through hell and feels horrible but just wondering…

I am wondering what the C's knew and their attorney's knew about the charges and arraignment. To me if I were on the run I would have been much further than Detroit. I watched them both carefully, and James Crumbley seemed to be surprised by what the prosecutor was saying today, as if this was the first time he'd heard it. I don't think they watched the prosecutor's presser yesterday. It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

James Crumbley's ex says he left them strapped for cash, calls Jennifer a 'monster'

https://www.wxyz.com/news/oxford-sc...em-strapped-for-cash-calls-jennifer-a-monster

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WXYZ) — Michelle Cobb holds nothing back when describing James Crumbley, her ex-boyfriend and the father of her 18-year-old son.

"He's a piece of (expletive). He really is," Cobb told 7 Action News Friday.

Cobb said Crumbley left their son and a daughter he had with another woman in Florida when he moved out of state with Jennifer Crumbley.
This ex, for sure won't be called as a character witness. Sounds good for prosecution though. And, yes, I think they will go to trial.

Just some random trivia, but one of their attorneys also represented Larry Nassar, the Michigan State doctor who was convicted of sexually assaulting many many young women gymnasts.

Now you made me wonder, what did their services get for that awful client?
Either get out a calculator or save yourself the trouble and just call it forever.

USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal - Wikipedia

On July 11, 2017, Nassar pleaded guilty to federal child *advertiser censored* charges, and was sentenced to 60 years in prison on December 7, 2017. On November 22, 2017, he pleaded guilty in state court to seven charges of first-degree sexual assault and entered another guilty plea a week later to three additional charges of sexual assault. On January 24, 2018, Nassar was sentenced to an additional 40 to 175 years in prison, set to run after Nassar serves the 60-year federal prison sentence for child *advertiser censored*. On February 5, 2018, Nassar received another 40 to 125 years. As of 2019, he is incarcerated at United States Penitentiary, Coleman.

Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect are held on $500,000 bond after manhunt

The defense states the Prosecution is "cherry-picking" certain information to make their case". I would suggest to the defense that the prosecution has a whole heck of a lot to "cherry pick" from with respect to his clients. There is a lot we don't even know, but from the little we do know, the prosecution has a lot of facts that will help make their case. It is truly remarkable that instead of concentrating on being with their son and concentrating on the situation he is in, they decide to take off and run and hide----these two are a piece of work.

They were in Detroit suspected of planning to go to Canada. Windsor Canada is across the Detroit river.

Windsor is a city in southwestern Ontario, Canada, on the south bank of the Detroit River directly across from Detroit, Michigan, United States.

I grew up in SE Michigan. :)

Last edited:
I’m wondering though if it was just a counsellor talking to the parents and that counsellor made that decision or were other school officials involved as well? I’m sure that counsellor is going through hell and feels horrible but just wondering…

It would be (should be) highly unusual for this kind of scenario to be handled by one person --counselor, principal, social worker or psychologist. Post Columbine and other mass shootings, schools have protocols and teams that handle these incidents. I would imagine that the teacher who saw the drawings (and photographed them) reported to the asst. principal or principal as that is the usual pattern. In most districts counselors can not make the decision to suspend but rather are part of a team. This is my profession. I have seen major changes in the wake of mass shootings. This is most closely aligned with the Stoneman Douglas shooting where we have concerning behaviors and questionable follow-up. This is not just a missed opportunity but may be negligent criminally --- just as many of us get frustrated with the lack of agency accountability in child abuse cases.

At the very least, any school resource officers or the local police liaison should have been notified. I am sure that the liaison would have pushed for questions on potential weapons. While I recognize that many parts of the US have areas with a large number of people with gun ownership, the idea that there may not have been questions about whether this kid had access or possession of a weapon is unconscionable to say the least.

I don't see how anyone involved in this incident on the school's behalf could ever work with the school community again even if there are no criminal charges. I would never let my child be guarded/protected/counseled by people who were responsible for letting this student back among the others in the community. JMHO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member