MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents of suspected Michigan school shooter plead not guilty to manslaughter charges (nbcnews.com)

James and Jennifer Crumbley were arrested Saturday morning in Detroit following a manhunt.

James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the teenager accused of killing four people in a Michigan high school shooting, pleaded not guilty to charges against them.

The couple was arraigned in court Saturday morning on four counts each of involuntary manslaughter.

Jennifer Crumbley cried as she told the judge that she understands the charges against her. She and her husband both appeared virtually for the hearing.

They are being represented by Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman, who are from the same firm.

James and Jennifer Crumbley were arrested earlier Saturday morning in Detroit following a manhunt. They were found inside a commercial building, Detroit Police Department Chief James E. White said at a news conference...

It’s sort of surprising to me they were given bail at all. They literally were running away and had to be hunted down with absolutely no indication they were going to turn themselves in. Huge flight risk if there ever was one IMO.

Last edited:
From the New York Times, 35 minutes ago:

"...School officials told the parents during the in-person meeting that they were required to seek counseling for their son, Ethan, Ms. McDonald said. The teenager’s parents did not want their son to be removed from school that day, and did not ask him whether he had the gun with him or search the backpack he brought with him to the office, Ms. McDonald said..."
BBM

The school principal showed the parents a note, written by their son the morning on the shooting, in which he depicted an image of a gun and a person who had been shot twice.
He included the words:
"Blood everywhere” and “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”

The alleged shooter is a 15-year-old child. A child whose parents and school principal had ample evidence upon viewing the note that he was possibly/probably/actually experiencing a severe mental crisis. He was definitely asking for help.

In a country where school shootings occur with chilling frequency, no help was offered. No intervention was implemented. No attempt was made to avert the subsequent tragedy.

Why?

Because the parents didn't want him their son to be removed from the school that day. And school officials saw fit to have him return to class, in spite of recognizing he needed help. They simply admonished the parents to seek counselling for him. Not now. Later.

I'm staggered by the demonstrated negligence of all the adults in the room. I'm stunned by their ignorance.

Facing Charges, Parents of Michigan Shooting Suspect Are Now Fugitives
Yep. And I just came to post this, from the NYT this morning. I was originally thinking the school couldn’t force him to leave because technically he hadn’t done anything yet, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Just like with Parkland and others, so many missed opportunities to prevent the bloodshed.

It was well within the school’s rights to require Mr. Crumbley, who has since pleaded not guilty to murder and terrorism charges, to leave campus, Professor Ross said.

If the parents refused to take Mr. Crumbley home, it was the legal and ethical responsibility of the school, Professor Ross said, to “remove the student from the classroom and put them in a safe place — safe for other people and safe for themselves.”

In the Michigan Shooting, What Is the School’s Responsibility?

I’m not sure I buy that.

Supposedly, Lehman was on a plane from FL to Michigan and the other was in Court. But the prosecutor did say there was a break from 11:30 to 2:30 or something like that. They claim they noticed their appearances late (Told the court that they were representing the Crumbleys)

Supposedly, Lehman was on a plane from FL to Michigan and the other was in Court. But the prosecutor did say there was a break from 11:30 to 2:30 or something like that. They claim they noticed their appearances late (Told the court that they were representing the Crumbleys)
Don’t they have assistance or staff to help with logistics like this to keep them informed?

This prosecutor isn’t really a very eloquent speaker. It’s like her thoughts are going way too fast for her mouth to keep up lol (I’m like that!). But I have to give her props for charging these parents for their part in this tragedy. It’s about time parents are held responsible. School shooters don’t exist in a vacuum. Something made them that way, and no it’s not always the parents. But when it is, they should be held accountable. Moo

With such a high profile case involving a mass murder by a child one would think someone would be on top of that.

This prosecutor isn’t really a very eloquent speaker. It’s like her thoughts are going way too fast for her mouth to keep up lol (I’m like that!). But I have to give her props for charging these parents for their part in this tragedy. It’s about time parents are held responsible. School shooters don’t exist in a vacuum. Something made them that way, and no it’s not always the parents. But when it is, they should be held accountable. Moo

Yes, I had the same thoughts. And it makes me wonder how she will do in Court in front of a jury. (Maybe I'm a little harsh after watching Linda Dunikoski)

If the law enforcement finds out who left the couple in the building to hide from getting caught, what will the person be charged with? Aiding fugitives? Or did that person also turn them in? Police knew exactly what they were wearing etc. was the car on the street? Or in a garage?

I'd be shocked if they decided to separate...as they will need each other. Who else do they have? Also, they are quite the pair.

Quoting myself to update from the arraignment this morning:
Not only did they not separate, they have agreed to share legal counsel. This means that they couldn't each come up with their own separate defense to maximize the chance of individual success.

If the law enforcement finds out who left the couple in the building to hide from getting caught, what will the person be charged with? Aiding fugitives? Or did that person also turn them in? Police knew exactly what they were wearing etc. was the car on the street? Or in a garage?

The car was outside:

91f5d710-05e9-478c-997c-73a945349713-CrumbleyArrest_120421_04_MW.jpg

James, Jennifer Crumbley arrested in Detroit after car found

According to this article, the police know who let them in.

James and Jennifer Crumbley found in basement of Detroit building after hours of searching

DETROIT (FOX 2) - James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley, were arrested early Saturday in Detroit after hours of searching.

The Crumbleys were charged with four counts each of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the high school shooting Tuesday. Their son, Ethan Crumbley, 15, is accused of killing four students with a gun his father purchased four days prior.

The search started early Friday afternoon. A team of authorities, including Detroit police and the U.S. Marshals, had been looking for the Crumbleys in an area just northeast of Downtown Detroit after their vehicle was found on Bellevue Street.

According to police, the Crumbleys were in the basement of the building where their vehicle was found just before 2 a.m. Saturday.
Well obviously they lost their bearings on the way to turn themselves in. :eye roll:

It’s sort of surprising to me they were given bail at all. They literally were running away and had to be hunted down with absolute no indication they were going to turn themselves in. Huge flight risk if there ever was one IMO.
They were just sleeping in a Detroit commercial building because they were scared. They were going to turn themselves in at 8:30 this morning their lawyers said.
Who knows what a jury will decide for them but their concern that their son is going to be in prison for a long time does not appear to be their priority.
They probably would have gotten that $50,000-100,000 bail if they had not been so scared that they ran away.
Maybe someone will raise funds online for them.

Wonder if their attorney will ditch them. Sure made a liar out of her. jmo

I'm catching up this morning and watching news reports online so I have no link.

The latest statement from their attorney is that everyone made a big deal over nothing. And that her clients were going to turn themselves THIS morning.

Riiiight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member