MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have an "official" confirmation he is diabetic or had a broken back or a stroke, other than what JC wrote in that blog post.
You're right and it really doesn't matter. I was responding in my original post to the comment by someone that said he looked like he suffered from substance abuse.
It's weird that Everytime I see his picture, he looks like someone I've seen before. That picture looks so familiar to me.

My personal opinion is that any attorney that would take any of these cases is just seeking publicity. I can't see any defence for the crimes. They are blatant and horrendous. Give them their due process and let a jury decide! MOO

Due process is for these defendants to have attorneys. The role of the defense attorney is more than just trying to get the jury to find reasonable doubt, it's to ensure a fair trial according to the rules and laws.

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

·
24s

No one from the Oxford, Michigan school district will answer questions. The doors to their district office are locked with a sign saying they are not open to the public. No one answers phone/emails. Board president has a coffee shop - with a sign outside that says "No Media."

Why am I not surprised?

not one iota surprised that their minor son is left with a public defender appointment while they hire high profile defense attorneys. The attorney are likely doing this in part for the publicity. They are no strangers to that since they defended Larry Nasser previously :confused:. Wouldn't shock me if they are doing it pro se for just that reason. But Ethan, nope, he gets the luck of the draw.

I wish I had TOS friendly words for the Crumbley parents.

You're right and it really doesn't matter. I was responding in my original post to the comment by someone that said he looked like he suffered from substance abuse.
It's weird that Everytime I see his picture, he looks like someone I've seen before. That picture looks so familiar to me.

He looks oddly familiar to me as well! I haven't lived in SE MI in over 15 years, and I can't imagine I've ever crossed path with him, but still, he looks so familiar.

Ethan Crumbley, charged in Oxford High shooting, appointed lawyer
''In an email to the Free Press, Paulette Michel Loftin said she was appointed on Thursday and has spoken with her client, Ethan Crumbley. Defendants who prove they cannot afford an attorney are entitled to court-appointed counsel at no cost to them.''

"Because I do not have the discovery, I don't have any comment at this time," Loftin said Monday when asked whether there was anything she wanted to say on her client's behalf.

Loftin said she expects to get discovery — or information on the evidence in the criminal investigation from police and prosecutors — later this week.''

3. I find this artist to be less than credible.

When the artist is interviewed, does LE take his version of events, or do they investigate him? Like look at this phone/text/search records, talk to his family and friends? I’m curious how much time they will spend on him (I hope enough to prove his involvement one way or the other, as I think it’s really important to the case against them).

@Kristin Esq. in a situation like this, where his parents are also jailed, and they are not allowed to communicate, other than his lawyer, who would be advocating for Ethan? Would he have a guardian appointed? I can't imagine a 15 y/o making legal decisions about his own case.

not one iota surprised that their minor son is left with a public defender appointment while they hire high profile defense attorneys. The attorney are likely doing this in part for the publicity. They are no strangers to that since they defended Larry Nasser previously :confused:. Wouldn't shock me if they are doing it pro se for just that reason. But Ethan, nope, he gets the luck of the draw.
I wish I had TOS friendly words for the Crumbley parents.
I feel like the parents case is more….challenging? It’s got the gun law stuff all wrapped up in it, so these attorneys are willing to take on that challenge. Unfortunately EC’s case might not be as challenging so not as much interest for pro bono representation? Just speculation….

@Kristin Esq. in a situation like this, where his parents are also jailed, and they are not allowed to communicate, other than his lawyer, who would be advocating for Ethan? Would he have a guardian appointed? I can't imagine a 15 y/o making legal decisions about his own case.

That's a really great question. One I wish I had the answer to. I haven't seen anything regarding a guardian, but you make an excellent point. @gitana1 - I haven't really seen you on here, but if you're able to weigh in, please do!

Look at these practice areas though:

View attachment 325531

I may want a public defender rather than a private practicing attorney that doesn't normally handle cases with these charges.

Glad to have you here as a verified attorney. I’d like your opinion. Would a legal firm seek to take on a case like this that may be precedent setting, in order to establish and associate themselves with high profile cases? Perhaps at a lower cost to the client. I don’t mean publicity, and I can’t really think of the right word. Basically to make their way into law books and cases that will be referenced in the future by the legal community.

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

·
24s

No one from the Oxford, Michigan school district will answer questions. The doors to their district office are locked with a sign saying they are not open to the public. No one answers phone/emails. Board president has a coffee shop - with a sign outside that says "No Media."

I've only seen the Oxford High School principal's name mentioned once in local and/or national media reports. Steven Wolf has never made a public statement regarding the shooting incident.

Ethan Crumbley charged in Oxford High School shooting appointed lawyer

"There are thousands of pages of discovery that I will need to review so that we can make an informed decision about whether or not we wish to have the preliminary exam," Loftin said in an email.

By preliminary exam, is that the probable cause conference, which is scheduled for next Monday? She will need to start speed reading if she is going to have to review discovery before deciding whether to postpone the hearing. Or it could mean the 12/20 preliminary hearing.

edit: corrected date of PH

Last edited:
It is beyond words horrifying that school is no longer a safe place. Here, is the link. Fyi, I wasn’t sure if he was saying he thought the schools knew about the journal and video or if because Ethan was at a place where he was being obsessive they should have recognized that behavior. I thought he made a great point that since he was searching ammunition it was logical to think that he had a gun and why didn’t they specifically make that connection, ask him about guns per the internet search and the drawing.

I wonder if school districts ask employees to read this book?

Severed Deer Head on Campus, Rumors of Violence Preceded Michigan School Shooting

Treshan, for his part, says that on Tuesday he showed police a screenshot of a threatening Snapchat message from an unknown sender that circulated among students at Oxford High School the day of the shooting. Treshan says he received a screenshot of the message after the shooting, when he was standing in a McDonald’s parking lot with other students and families from the school, waiting for more information from local police. He had gone to the area near the school after he heard about the shooting, and says that a number of other students said they received it that day, too. “Everybody screenshotted it, and then, my brother, he posted it like, ‘What the heck is this?’ So I screenshotted it,” Treshan said. “I was probably a couple of feet away from the detectives and I was like, I’m just going to go show them because they probably need this for like evidence or something.” (The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office did not respond to a request for comment about the message in question, and at a press conference on Wednesday, the county prosecutor would not comment on which social media posts allegedly suggested Crumbley had planned the attack.)

According to Treshan, the message was passed around after administrators at the school issued two separate statements seeking to reassure parents that there was no threat to campus safety in the weeks that preceded the shooting.

Glad to have you here as a verified attorney. I’d like your opinion. Would a legal firm seek to take on a case like this that may be precedent setting, in order to establish and associate themselves with high profile cases? Perhaps at a lower cost to the client. I don’t mean publicity, and I can’t really think of the right word. Basically to make their way into law books and cases that will be referenced in the future by the legal community.

This particular firm has already associated themselves with high profile cases, Shannon Smith represented Larry Nassar. (Whom if you read some of the articles about her during that time really disgusts me). I could see them doing this to get more publicity, not just to have their names on high profile rulings and precedent setting cases, but also to just get more business. Though, if Larry Nassar was their client, I don't seem them hurting for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper