MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All attorneys are State Bar accredited or the attorney could not practice. Whether your in private practice or work for legal aid or are a court appointed attorney.

All the Crumbley attorneys have to be accredited by the
State Bar of Michigan.

All attorneys in Michigan are required, that's true. But, it is only a requirement to practice in 32 states. There is a Voluntary Bar Assoc. in some states.
But, my point was that just because you're court appointed doesn't mean you're less qualified. Having said that, their are certain Bar requirements to remain in good standing. In Texas, during the time span I posted, doing your due diligence as a court appointed, was a requirement of all members. That was a long time ago and most certainly could be different now. I think we're in agreement.
Per Google:
Types of state bar associationsEdit
Admission to a state's bar is not necessarily the same as membership in that state's bar association. There are two kinds of state bar associations:

Mandatory (integrated) barEdit
Thirty-two states and the District of Columbia require membership in the state's bar association to practice law there.[41] This arrangement is called having a mandatory, unified, or integrated bar.

For example, the State Bar of Texas is an agency of the judiciary and is under the administrative control of the Texas Supreme Court,[42] and is composed of those persons licensed to practice law in Texas; each such person is required by law to join the State Bar by registering with the clerk of the Texas Supreme Court.[43]

Voluntary and private bar associationsEdit
A voluntary bar association is a private organization of lawyers. Each may have social, educational, and lobbying functions, but does not regulate the practice of law or admit lawyers to practice or discipline lawyers. An example of this is the New York State Bar Association.

There is a statewide voluntary bar association in each of the eighteen states that have no mandatory or integrated bar association. There are also many voluntary bar associations organized by geographic area (e.g., Chicago Bar Association), interest group or practice area (e.g., Federal Communications Bar Association), or ethnic or identity community (e.g., Hispanic National Bar Association).

The American Bar Association (ABA) is a nationwide voluntary bar association with the largest membership in the United States. The National Bar Association was formed in 1925 to focus on the interests of African-American lawyers after they were denied membership by the ABA.[44]

From your link:
  • Video obtained by DailyMail.com shows Ethan Crumbley collapsing in the kitchen while working at 5-1 Diner in Oxford, Michigan last September
  • Footage shows the teen entering the room wobbly on his feet, and swaying erratically, before collapsing and slamming head-first into a cabinet
  • Ethan's mother purportedly blamed it on her son not eating that day, however the owner told DailyMail.com that she doubts that was the cause
  • 'We sent him home,' the owner said. 'The mom said it was just because he didn't eat anything. It seems a lot for that to just be not eating'
  • The owner also recalled confronting Ethan's older brother Eli last year after he was allegedly caught smoking marijuana in the back room in a separate incident
  • After she threatened to call his parents, Eli allegedly replied: 'Where do you think I got it from?'

Could that person be a relative, like an aunt, uncle, grandparent? Or would that be a conflict of interest, since his parents have their own charges relating to the case? (I have no idea if there are such relatives.)

If it's a non-relative, would it be a MSW, or psychologist or a team of people?

This case is breaking a lot of ground and I think will have a wide influence in the future.
I don't think Ethan requires a guardian. He's in jail, so he's not going to be making any decisions on his own in terms of his lifestyle. He'll have a legal team to look out for his best interests. He doesn't have any assets so doesn't need financial representation. He's young and healthy, it seems, so doesn't need a health care agent. I bet a psychiatrist and a medical team are checking on him. Probably there's a social worker involved. Just guessing.

From your link:
  • Video obtained by DailyMail.com shows Ethan Crumbley collapsing in the kitchen while working at 5-1 Diner in Oxford, Michigan last September
  • Footage shows the teen entering the room wobbly on his feet, and swaying erratically, before collapsing and slamming head-first into a cabinet
  • Ethan's mother purportedly blamed it on her son not eating that day, however the owner told DailyMail.com that she doubts that was the cause
  • 'We sent him home,' the owner said. 'The mom said it was just because he didn't eat anything. It seems a lot for that to just be not eating'
  • The owner also recalled confronting Ethan's older brother Eli last year after he was allegedly caught smoking marijuana in the back room in a separate incident
  • After she threatened to call his parents, Eli allegedly replied: 'Where do you think I got it from?'

I wonder why they still have that video. The other people didn't seem overly concerned that he just smacked his head.

From your link:
I wonder why they still have that video. The other people didn't seem overly concerned that he just smacked his head.

moo:

Seems to me that they were concerned. They immediately call his dad. They must know his dad, have dad’s number handy in the phone. The woman hovers (as if not sure calling dad is enough, uncertain if he is ok).

My guess is they pulled the video to email to dad at the time, precisely because they were concerned (and perhaps felt that it was not being taken seriously enough). So they still had the video clip in their sent items or downloads. Moo

ETA: Eli might know what happened there. Hope he can weigh in if it’s relevant.

do you think his parents parent attempt to flee demonstrating lack of care /interest in their son will effect the states decision to let them have input?
I think the state needs to play real nice with the shooter's parents. The state needs to extract information from that couple. As far as parents having input into their son's case...doubt it. They will have their hands full saving their own necks. State has all the leverage I think.

I still get an injustice collector vibe for Ethan and his parents. Imo, injustice collectors see themselves as victims of their circumstances. And it is usually not validated. I see these types as not taking personal responsibility for the positions they put themselves in. For instance, due to their own fault, many are probably not likeable, off putting, and don't have many friends. They do not fit in because they are odd. I wouldn't blame my kid for not wanting to be friends with someone like that either. Of course the injustice collector would blame that on me and my kid.

Imo, The narrative for too long has been, oh, that poor shooter was bullied into it. I don't buy it. That line of thinking needs to change.

Imo, shooting up a school sounds like what a bully would do.

Moo.
So true!

Could that person be a relative, like an aunt, uncle, grandparent? Or would that be a conflict of interest, since his parents have their own charges relating to the case? (I have no idea if there are such relatives.)

If it's a non-relative, would it be a MSW, or psychologist or a team of people?

This case is breaking a lot of ground and I think will have a wide influence in the future.

It could definitely be a relative.

do you think his parents parent attempt to flee demonstrating lack of care /interest in their son will effect the states decision to let them have input?

I don’t think so. I think the issue is they may be co-defendants and unable to speak to one another and because they’re in jail.

Also, in general, the same issues that led to them being charged can lead to the state taking the kid into the system/taking away their parental rights.

Well, either or both if the parents are unable to act for them.

When a juvenile is in jail, parents lose the ability to make a lot of decisions, but not necessarily all. They can hire an attorney for their child, handle their child’s estate if he or she has one, etc.

When a child is in foster care, their ability to make decisions for their child typically is taken completely. At least temporarily.

If the child has a guardian, then the parents may still retain some control and they retain most of their parental rights.

Moo: It seems to me the Crumbleys will run out of money for private lawyers really quickly. I wonder if they will switch to public defenders soon.

Otherwise, folks might start asking questions about who might be bankrolling their defense (eg a special interest group of some kind).o_O

The Oxford, Michigan school district is not answering questions. The Michigan Attorney General reached out to the district and offered to do an independent investigation into what led up the shooting. “As far as I know we have not received a response” AG’s office tells me.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1467986435920003074

Services announced for Oxford High shooting victim Justin Shilling (detroitnews.com)

Funeral services have been announced for Justin Charles Shilling, who died from injuries sustained in the Nov. 30 Oxford High School shooting that left three other students dead and injured seven more.

Visitation for Justin will take place from noon to 7 p.m. on Thursday at the Boulder Pointe Golf Club & Banquet Center on 1 Champions Circle in Oxford. The funeral service will begin at 7 p.m.

Visitation is set again for Friday from noon to 8 p.m. at Chas. Verheyden Inc. at 43300 Garfield Road, Clinton Township...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper