MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

From the article: "The defendants named in the suits are the Oxford Community School District, Superintendent Timothy Throne, Principal Steven Wolf, and Dean of Students Ryan Moore. Two unnamed counselors, two unnamed teachers, and another staff member also are listed as defendants."

Interesting.... Mostly curious about the 2 teachers and other staff member who made the victims "less safe." Everything we've heard so far was that the teachers did the right thing and counselor(s)/admin dropped the ball.

Mass shooting survivors filing $100M lawsuits against Oxford Schools (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — Survivors of the mass shooting at Oxford High School are filing two $100 million lawsuits against the school district and employees, lawyer Geoffrey Fieger said Thursday.

The announcement comes more than one week after prosecutors say Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old alleged shooter, killed four students while wounding six other students and a teacher.

Fieger filed one federal lawsuit on behalf of Oxford students and siblings Riley Franz, 17, a senior, and Bella Franz, 14, a freshman. Riley was shot in the neck while next to Bella during the attack...

Mass shooting survivors filing $100M lawsuits against Oxford Schools (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — Survivors of the mass shooting at Oxford High School are filing two $100 million lawsuits against the school district and employees, lawyer Geoffrey Fieger said Thursday.

The announcement comes more than one week after prosecutors say Ethan Crumbley, the 15-year-old alleged shooter, killed four students while wounding six other students and a teacher.

Fieger filed one federal lawsuit on behalf of Oxford students and siblings Riley Franz, 17, a senior, and Bella Franz, 14, a freshman. Riley was shot in the neck while next to Bella during the attack...
I was just arriving here, to post about about the lawsuits, being filed. The lawyer filing them, is none other than Jeffrey Fieger, he represented Jack Kevorkian, “Dr Death.” He has also been involved in other high profile cases.

wow. So the civil suits have begun. What jumped out at me from the complaint's allegations is the fact that at no time during the days leading up to the shooting, did any member of the school's administration or staff alert the school's safety officer/liaison of the growing and accelerating threat EC presented.

Why on earth would a school have a safety officer/liaison and then not include that individual in conversations, emails, etc about a possible threat to the safety of all? I think that is pretty damning if true.

From the article: "The defendants named in the suits are the Oxford Community School District, Superintendent Timothy Throne, Principal Steven Wolf, and Dean of Students Ryan Moore. Two unnamed counselors, two unnamed teachers, and another staff member also are listed as defendants."

Interesting.... Mostly curious about the 2 teachers and other staff member who made the victims "less safe." Everything we've heard so far was that the teachers did the right thing and counselor(s)/admin dropped the ball.
It says teacher #1 found the student searching for ammunition on his phone but allowed him to stay in the classroom without disciplining him. Apparently she did inform the counselor but no action was taken.

According to the document, all defendants, (teachers, counselors,and administrators) deliberately withheld and excluded vital information from the school liason officer.

Even after multiple parents called Wolf to complain about the SM threats, he assured parents and students there was no threat. He told them that "assumptions had evolved into exaggerated rumors."

Teacher #2 apparently allowed him to bring the backpack in the classroom even though it was against school policy. She allowed him control of the backpack, unsearched, after the note was discovered.

I've only skimmed through half of it but this is what stands out the most.

So many mistakes were made. They never should have allowed him to stay on school grounds that day.

There is no acceptable reason for not informing the school officer of what was going on in the days before the murder.

One of the worst things the principal could have done was tell students and parents NOT to discuss such SM posts. It discouraged people from coming forward to warn about the threat to the school.

IMO

wow. So the civil suits have begun. What jumped out at me from the complaint's allegations is the fact that at no time during the days leading up to the shooting, did any member of the school's administration or staff alert the school's safety officer/liaison of the growing and accelerating threat EC presented.

Why on earth would a school have a safety officer/liaison and then not include that individual in conversations, emails, etc about a possible threat to the safety of all? I think that is pretty damning if true.
MOO
It strikes me from the lawsuit that many parents did raise specific concerns earlier in the month and the admin response was that they investigated, there was no threat, so "stop spreading rumors". Which these parents believe had a chilling effect, silencing students and parents from reporting continued concerns and yes ... rumors! Rumors that if reported and investigated in a timely way may have saved lives! I feel sad and angry for these parents and kids.

While EC is responsible for his actions and it is unlikely he would have committed these crimes if not enabled and neglected by his parents, it certainly seems there were a lot of warning signs raised to the school level that were not handled correctly.

I agree the safety officer should have been included and there should have been a protocol triggered by and with the administration. A system should have been in place that took the process out of the hands of any individual school counselor. He should have remained removed from other students. His backpack should have been searched.

It seems to me he must have LIED in that meeting in order to buy himself that 48 hours rather than immediate hospitalization/ CPS call. I think he LIED to get back in to school. There needs to be a system for dealing with that too. People lie all the time to get the outcome they want. That's why safety plans are needed IMO. Automatic two week suspension or in-school detention (if that is deemed to have better results and more supervision than sending home to house full of guns with no supervision). In my experience, many school districts even have a different campus with stricter rules about what can be brought in, discipline and searches for students who have been disciplinary problems in the main public schools. Definitely staffed with safety officers.
MOO

It says teacher #1 found the student searching for ammunition on his phone but allowed him to stay in the classroom without disciplining him. Apparently she did inform the counselor but no action was taken.

According to the document, all defendants, (teachers, counselors,and administrators) deliberately withheld and excluded vital information from the school liason officer.

Even after multiple parents called Wolf to complain about the SM threats, he assured parents and students there was no threat. He told them that "assumptions had evolved into exaggerated rumors."

Teacher #2 apparently allowed him to bring the backpack in the classroom even though it was against school policy. She allowed him control of the backpack, unsearched, after the note was discovered.

I've only skimmed through half of it but this is what stands out the most.

So many mistakes were made. They never should have allowed him to stay on school grounds that day.

There is no acceptable reason for not informing the school officer of what was going on in the days before the murder.

One of the worst things the principal could have done was tell students and parents NOT to discuss such SM posts. It discouraged people from coming forward to warn about the threat to the school.

IMO
I agree . The y did the opposite of what the schools handbook states. I’m sure the handbook will be used as evidence.imo

From the lawsuit filed: Attorney discusses $100 million lawsuits against Oxford schools, staff members

"Upon information and belief, Defendant TEACHER #2, was also aware of a school policy of excluding backpacks in classroom, and TEACHER #2, made a knowing and deliberate decision to leave, unsearched, Ethan Crumbley’s backpack ,even after discovering the alarming note authored by Crumbley."

Interesting that backpacks are not allowed in the classroom, yet he kept his.

Zero tolerance. Bring it back.

I have read that it’s not been shown to improve school climate or improve student behavior.

^I SIMPLY DON’T CARE. When it comes to weapons, I want my kiddos to be safe.

jmo

Michigan school shooting survivors file $100M lawsuit (nbcnews.com)

Ten students and a teacher were shot at the school in Oxford Township, roughly 30 miles north of Detroit.

Two lawsuits seeking $100 million each have been filed against a Michigan school district, its superintendent, principal and others after four students were fatally shot and others wounded at Oxford High School, a lawyer announced Thursday.

The lawsuits were filed in federal court in Detroit, attorney Geoffrey Fieger said Thursday. They were filed on behalf of a student who was shot in the neck and wounded during the Nov. 30 shooting and her sister, who was next to her at the time of the shooting...

In Michigan School Shooting, First Lawsuits Are Filed

The lawsuit filed Thursday by the parents’ lawyer, Geoffrey Fieger, contains several accusations about Mr. Crumbley’s behavior leading up to the attack. It states that the night before the shooting, Mr. Crumbley posted to Twitter, “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. See you tomorrow Oxford.”

The complaint says that on social media, “Ethan Crumbley posted countdowns and threats of bodily harm” and that parents complained to administrators about such social media messages in the weeks before the shooting, but that the superintendent, Tim Throne, and principal, Steven Wolf, said the threats were not credible.

The suit also states that school officials did not involve the campus safety officer in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley and his parents on the day of the shooting. It says that the principal and dean of students were in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley.

Interesting. The superintendent previously made it seem as if the guidance counselor was the primary decision maker that sent him back to class. I don't recall any mention about the principal being a part of that meeting and life-changing decision. The school district really threw the guidance counselor under the bus, IMO!

Oxford school shooting lawsuit: Geoffrey Fieger blasts district

It’s not clear to me whether the SRO/LE knew about the social media posts when they occurred, or learned of them after. Were they aware of the “rumors” and the school’s messages to kids and parents? Wonder how the posts were investigated…

Our (smaller) district has an SRO who is part of the local police and he works closely with administration- I’ve seen it in action. Our police are also very active with the schools, forming relationships etc.

From the lawsuit filed: Attorney discusses $100 million lawsuits against Oxford schools, staff members

"Upon information and belief, Defendant TEACHER #2, was also aware of a school policy of excluding backpacks in classroom, and TEACHER #2, made a knowing and deliberate decision to leave, unsearched, Ethan Crumbley’s backpack ,even after discovering the alarming note authored by Crumbley."

Interesting that backpacks are not allowed in the classroom, yet he kept his.
I believe backpacks were being allowed in classrooms because Covid protocols meant students were not allowed to use their lockers. Or that was my understanding from reading earlier articles. I will look for the early articles which so stated.

The “facts” in this suit aren’t proven facts I think we have to remember. It does paint a much different picture than first told though, that the counselor(s) made the decision alone. And it makes more sense to me that other admin would have been involved especially with parents who were not being agreeable.

This discussion really brought me back to my high school days when one of my dear friends got kicked out of school for going at a guy in shop class with a saw. My friend was so sweet and never violent to my knowledge, but he was very different than other kids in those days. I think he was being teased or bullied. He ended up okay though because he had already found his community, a community of support through his club activity/ extracurricular activity. Which included kids, parents, teachers and other adults. His life went on and he continued to connect with other opportunities despite being expelled/ longterm suspension.

It sounds to me like EC may not have found that community. It worries me that we may have a much higher rate of young folks who have not "found their community" because they have been staying at home. And returning back to life can be a slow process, perhaps especially so for teens who are often uncomfortable in their own skin anyway and still finding themselves. Let's hope schools are investing in more counselors. And metal detectors! (Sheesh that's a pretty big school to still not have a metal detector). :(

Oxford Community Schools hit with two $100 million lawsuits – The Oakland Press

The Oxford Community School District and several school employees have been hit with two $100 million lawsuits on behalf of a student wounded in last week’s shooting spree, her sister who witnessed it and their parents.

Attorney Geoffrey Fieger filed the federal lawsuits Thursday in U.S. Eastern District Court – Eastern District of Michigan on behalf of students Riley and Bella Franz and their parents Jeffrey and Brandi Franz. Riley, a 17-year-old Oxford High senior, was shot in the neck. Bella, a 14-year-old ninth grader, reportedly saw it happen...

Survivors of Oxford shooting filing lawsuits against school (audacy.com)

OXFORD (WWJ) -- Two survivors of the Oxford High School shooting massacre are filing a $100 million lawsuits against the Oxford Community School District and various school employees.

Attorney Geoffrey Fieger filed one federal suit on behalf of the two Oxford students Riley Franz, 17, a senior, and for her little sister Bella Franz, 14, a freshman...

I believe backpacks were being allowed in classrooms because Covid protocols meant students were not allowed to use their lockers. Or that was my understanding from reading earlier articles. I will look for the early articles which so stated.

The “facts” in this suit aren’t proven facts I think we have to remember. It does paint a much different picture than first told though, that the counselor(s) made the decision alone. And it makes more sense to me that other admin would have been involved especially with parents who were not being agreeable.
Our schools allow them to bring backpacks to class and they don't even give out the lockers anymore. So I didn't know other schools banned backpacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x