MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Michigan School Shooting, First Lawsuits Are Filed

The lawsuit filed Thursday by the parents’ lawyer, Geoffrey Fieger, contains several accusations about Mr. Crumbley’s behavior leading up to the attack. It states that the night before the shooting, Mr. Crumbley posted to Twitter, “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. See you tomorrow Oxford.”

The complaint says that on social media, “Ethan Crumbley posted countdowns and threats of bodily harm” and that parents complained to administrators about such social media messages in the weeks before the shooting, but that the superintendent, Tim Throne, and principal, Steven Wolf, said the threats were not credible.

The suit also states that school officials did not involve the campus safety officer in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley and his parents on the day of the shooting. It says that the principal and dean of students were in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley.

Interesting. The superintendent previously made it seem as if the guidance counselor was the primary decision maker that sent him back to class. I don't recall any mention about the principal being a part of that meeting and life-changing decision. The school district really threw the guidance counselor under the bus, IMO!
I agree. Originally they said only a counselor and a teacher were in the meeting. And that the superintendent, principal , vice principal and SRO did not know about the meeting .

The lawsuit filed Thursday by the parents’ lawyer, Geoffrey Fieger, contains several accusations about Mr. Crumbley’s behavior leading up to the attack. It states that the night before the shooting, Mr. Crumbley posted to Twitter, “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. See you tomorrow Oxford.”

The complaint says that on social media, “Ethan Crumbley posted countdowns and threats of bodily harm” and that parents complained to administrators about such social media messages in the weeks before the shooting, but that the superintendent, Tim Throne, and principal, Steven Wolf, said the threats were not credible.

The suit also states that school officials did not involve the campus safety officer in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley and his parents on the day of the shooting. It says that the principal and dean of students were in the meeting with Mr. Crumbley.

Interesting. The superintendent previously made it seem as if the guidance counselor was the primary decision maker that sent him back to class. I don't recall any mention about the principal being a part of that meeting and life-changing decision. The school district really threw the guidance counselor under the bus, IMO!
I agree. Originally they said only a counselor and a teacher were in the meeting. And that the superintendent, principal , vice principal and SRO did not know about the meeting .
A new federal lawsuit states that school shooting suspect #EthanCrumbley made a direct threat to #OxfordHighSchool on social media the night before he fatally shot four students. The lawsuit alleges school district leaders ignored threats. https://foxnews.com/us/ethan-crumbley-direct-threat-social-media-lawsuit… #FoxNews

https://twitter.com/audpants/status/1468971748414541836
This is just terrible.

I hope the December 15 Oxford Community Schools Board of Education meeting is packed to the gills with parents DEMANDING answers from school officials who did not prevent this horrific massacre. I'm sure there will be additional lawsuits forthcoming, justifiably so. JMO

Therapy dogs, no backpacks when Oxford's K-8 schools reopen Friday (detroitnews.com)

Oxford Township — While Oxford High School will not reopen until at least January after the Nov. 30 shooting that killed 4 students, the district's kindergarteners through eighth-graders will return to class Friday for a half-day, the district announced.

But they will not be carrying backpacks, Superintendent Tim Throne said in a statement.

Throne announced the half-day reopening in a letter to parents Thursday. Throne said therapy dogs will be provided at Oxford Community Schools for the rest of the year, and that every school will have a "team" of them...

I hope the December 15 Oxford Community Schools Board of Education meeting is packed to the gills with parents DEMANDING answers from school officials who did not prevent this horrific massacre. I'm sure there will be additional lawsuits forthcoming, justifiably so. JMO
I look for it to be cancelled

Therapy dogs, no backpacks when Oxford's K-8 schools reopen Friday (detroitnews.com)

Oxford Township — While Oxford High School will not reopen until at least January after the Nov. 30 shooting that killed 4 students, the district's kindergarteners through eighth-graders will return to class Friday for a half-day, the district announced.

But they will not be carrying backpacks, Superintendent Tim Throne said in a statement.

Throne announced the half-day reopening in a letter to parents Thursday. Throne said therapy dogs will be provided at Oxford Community Schools for the rest of the year, and that every school will have a "team" of them...

I hope they have a good security showing as well, an SRO or two present, parents will want to see that, and some students might feel better with that presence as well.

ETA: And the teachers, too.

Last edited:
I look for it to be cancelled
agreed. now that they are subject to the civil suits their counsel will advise against discussing anything to do with that day or events leading up to it, including safety measures that were or weren't taken, or measures that will be now heightened.

We are about to see the circling of the wagons and radio silence will descend.

This discussion really brought me back to my high school days when one of my dear friends got kicked out of school for going at a guy in shop class with a saw. My friend was so sweet and never violent to my knowledge, but he was very different than other kids in those days. I think he was being teased or bullied. He ended up okay though because he had already found his community, a community of support through his club activity/ extracurricular activity. Which included kids, parents, teachers and other adults. His life went on and he continued to connect with other opportunities despite being expelled/ longterm suspension.

It sounds to me like EC may not have found that community. It worries me that we may have a much higher rate of young folks who have not "found their community" because they have been staying at home. And returning back to life can be a slow process, perhaps especially so for teens who are often uncomfortable in their own skin anyway and still finding themselves. Let's hope schools are investing in more counselors. And metal detectors! (Sheesh that's a pretty big school to still not have a metal detector). :(
bbm

Very good point, @MoeInVA --
I wonder if EC had neighborhood friends or school friends whom he would visit or who would visit him at his house? Sleep overs, going to movies, exploring, playing games? Skate-boarding? Sledding? Did his parents let him do this? Did they encourage him to do this?
Nearly all of my classmates and I -- 'way back then -- did that type thing. We got to know our friends' parents and neighborhoods and vice versa. Getting to know one's peers is important. Some of these friendships can last a lifetime. That was how many of us grew up.

Did his parents raise a loner perhaps?

agreed. now that they are subject to the civil suits their counsel will advise against discussing anything to do with that day or events leading up to it, including safety measures that were or weren't taken, or measures that will be now heightened.

We are about to see the circling of the wagons and radio silence will descend.

The regularly scheduled Board meeting was supposed to be on December 7 but was cancelled. The December 15 meeting is noted as a "special" meeting and was scheduled following the shooting at the high school. There are other issues that the school board needs to address, but you might be right about them not delving into matters involving their liability in the massacre. I think parents will want some type of statement from the school district: Perhaps it will be made by attorneys representing their interests. JMO

OMG! Local high schools on lockdown due to threat: Plymouth-Canton high schools on lockdown as police investigate possible threat (clickondetroit.com)

All 3 high schools on lockdown

CANTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. – All three Plymouth-Canton high schools are on lockdown while police investigate a possible threat, district officials said.

Police from Canton, Plymouth and Plymouth Township are at the campus investigating the threat, according to authorities.

All buildings are locked down as officers check the area, police said...

Plymouth-Canton high schools on lockdown due to 'potential threat' (detroitnews.com)

Canton
— The Plymouth-Canton Educational Park, home to three high schools, is on lockdown Thursday afternoon as police investigate a "potential threat," the district said.

"School dismissal is being delayed until the investigation is complete," the Canton Township Police Department said in a statement. "No students are being released."

The district urges people to avoid approaching the school, as they won't be let in...

rbbm.
Plymouth-Canton high schools on lockdown as police investigate possible threat
''CANTON TOWNSHIP, Mich.
– All three Plymouth-Canton high schools are on lockdown while police investigate a possible threat, district officials said.
School dismissal is being delayed until the investigation is complete. No students are being released, and the parking lot and surrounding roads are blocked.

Officials asked parents not to go to the campus, as no vehicles will be allowed to enter. Police are asking everyone to refrain from calling these police departments to leave the phone lines clear for emergencies.''

''Police have investigated hundreds of school threats over the past nine days following a shooting that left four students dead and seven people injured at Oxford High School.

“If you’re making threats, we’re going to find you,” Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said last week. “It is ridiculous you’re inflaming the fears and passion of parents, teachers and the community in the midst of a real tragedy.”

A new federal lawsuit states that school shooting suspect #EthanCrumbley made a direct threat to #OxfordHighSchool on social media the night before he fatally shot four students. The lawsuit alleges school district leaders ignored threats. https://foxnews.com/us/ethan-crumbley-direct-threat-social-media-lawsuit… #FoxNews

https://twitter.com/audpants/status/1468971748414541836
This falls right in line with an article posted the other day on here. In almost every school shooting the shooter made direct public threats, parents were aware, school was aware but nothing was done. As the sheriff in Michigan stated, there are protocols in place that could have stopped this if they had just been given an opportunity to use them. I will never understand the negligence.

Snipped from the above post, were these social media messages from EC or others? This confuses me, I keep reading about social media threats and am trying to figure out if there's more going on than just EC.

"parents complained to administrators about such social media messages in the weeks before the shooting, but that the superintendent, Tim Throne, and principal, Steven Wolf, said the threats were not credible."

rbbm.
Plymouth-Canton high schools on lockdown due to 'potential threat'
''More than a dozen youth in Wayne County face juvenile charges owing to school threats. Oakland and Macomb County prosecutors have also both charged multiple students with making school threats.''

More:Criminal cases over school threats pile up for Metro Detroit prosecutors

''Educators have advised that school threats disrupt the educational environment. Some prosecutors have vowed a "zero tolerance" approach to school threats, warning that those convicted of making them will be punished "to the fullest extent of the law."

rbbm.
Plymouth-Canton high schools on lockdown due to 'potential threat'
''More than a dozen youth in Wayne County face juvenile charges owing to school threats. Oakland and Macomb County prosecutors have also both charged multiple students with making school threats.''

More:Criminal cases over school threats pile up for Metro Detroit prosecutors

''Educators have advised that school threats disrupt the educational environment. Some prosecutors have vowed a "zero tolerance" approach to school threats, warning that those convicted of making them will be punished "to the fullest extent of the law."
How scary for all these kids.
I remember my school getting frequent bomb threats and we would go outside and get in a ditch, crouching down with our arms covering out face/head. We would do the same in our classrooms and bus when bricks and rocks were thrown thru the windows. Schools should be made safe.
JMO

parents complained to administrators about such social media messages in the weeks before the shooting, but that the superintendent, Tim Throne, and principal, Steven Wolf, said the threats were not credible."

Then the school should pay up. Gross negligence.

Why would anyone come forward again if they are just ignored. No wonder kids think no one cares about their futures.

A lot of "not my problem"s happening there.

since the Oxford shooting even our own area schools (I'm in IL) have had increased threats.

1 middle school and 3 high schools local to me since Monday. Several different teenagers responsible for the threats have been taken into custody. It does not appear to have been a joint or organized effort?! Like all these kids decided independently to phone in a variety of bomb shooting and stabbing threats.

Man times sure are different than I recall as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1