MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethan Crumbley has another court hearing today: Here’s why

[...]

Circuit Court arraignment
Crumbley’s felony case now goes to Oakland County Circuit Court where he will be arraigned on the felony charges again. He has the option to enter a different plea. If he pleads guilty this time, there won’t be a trial and a sentencing date will be set by the court.

This hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday. The arraignment could be followed by a pre-trial conference.

[...]

Ethan Crumbley has another court hearing today: Here’s why

[...]

Circuit Court arraignment
Crumbley’s felony case now goes to Oakland County Circuit Court where he will be arraigned on the felony charges again. He has the option to enter a different plea. If he pleads guilty this time, there won’t be a trial and a sentencing date will be set by the court.

This hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday. The arraignment could be followed by a pre-trial conference.

[...]

Does anyone know if this will have a livestream? I'm not finding any info.

Oxford High School shooting suspect back in court Wednesday (detroitnews.com)

Pontiac — Accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley is set to be arraigned Wednesday afternoon in Oakland County Circuit Court.

Crumbley, 15, faces 24 counts including murder, terrorism and gun charges in the Nov. 30 shooting that left four students dead and seven other people injured.

Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame L. Rowe will preside over the 2 p.m. hearing that also is expected to address Crumbley's bond.

The virtual appearance for Crumbley is the teen's second in less than a week. On Friday, Crumbley was bound over for trial after his attorneys waived his probable cause conference and preliminary examination in district court...

Does anyone know if this will have a livestream? I'm not finding any info.

Usually Click on Detroit livestreams these. So as it gets a closer to 2pm, you can try there. I'll be looking as well, and if I find a livestream, I will post it. Yesterday, there were 5 filings for media coverage.

Although it in no way shape or form excuses Ethan's behavior, I feel empathy for him. He was literally crying out for help. The family grocery list with Nazi symbolism on it? Did they think it was cute or something? And your kid texts you that he thinks there are demons in the house, but ignoring it for hours. A wild guess on my part, but I bet she didn't follow up with one of those "Ethan we need to talk" conversations, either. But they bought him a gun as an early Christmas present.

I'm sure Ethan's older half-brother will be able to shed much enlightenment on the family situation as well.

MOO
We need to talk about these things not as excuses but as REASONS if we are ever going to affect a change in our society. Could EC have been helped with earlier intervention when his parents were abusing him as a young child (leaving a child that age alone is abuse)? Maybe. Maybe not. Understanding why some kids rise given the same abuse and become “normal” can’t happen unless we talk about why it may have happened. And feeling sad for the child he was (and even the man he was becoming) isn’t wrong. It doesn’t lesson your compassion for the victims. It shows you are a loving, compassionate person.

Venting -- I know that it has been pointed out by several people, but it just goes around in my head:
  • parents abandoned boy repeatedly to go out drinking without leaving phone with him when younger
  • child has mental health issues and believes spirits are in the house, no one helps
  • child is getting in trouble at school (dead bird head!!!, ammo), school (often second level of support for children after parents) says everything is fine to other parents
  • parents decide to buy gun for this troubled child (EARLY Christmas -- get the gun into his hands as soon as possible?)
  • plea for help on test review ignored
  • request to take disturbed child home refused
  • people dead -- gone forever, people injured. people who should've celebrated the holidays, played in the snow
  • parents hire lawyer for themselves and empty child's bank account
It doesn't feel so much like neglect of the boy by the parents as programming him to become twisted and uncaring (was murderous or suicidal the goal?) -- even to the point of arming him. Why? Were they trying to get rid of him finally? It just feels more intentional then just a "bad home".

The safety net of the school was neglectful at best.

I'm so horrified at the shooting itself and the almost deliberate events leading up to it.
I have so rarely blamed parents for the actions of their children but this one is just shocking. What does society do with evil victims who have committed crimes?

JMO. IMO.

1/2/2022 - Arraignment

There was a breakout before the hearing.

The judge was a former prosecutor, and everyone agrees that there is no conflict in him presiding over the case.

Waive the formal reading and the plea entered is Not Guilty.

Extended the hearing on bond location another 30 days as it has to be in person, and right now it's not safe to do so due to covid.

January 19, 2022 Status Conference at 2pm, only with the attorneys to set a new date for the bond placement.

LGAL - his guardian is re-appointed.

Ethan Crumbley pleads not guilty to Oxford mass shooting charges in circuit court, trial looms (clickondetroit.com)

Teen faces list of charges in connection with Oxford High School mass shooting

Ethan Crumbley had another not guilty plea entered on his behalf during a court hearing Wednesday afternoon.

Crumbley appeared for his circuit court arraignment virtually after he was bound over for trial last week on terrorism and murder charges in connection with the mass shooting at Oxford High School...

We need to talk about these things not as excuses but as REASONS if we are ever going to affect a change in our society. Could EC have been helped with earlier intervention when his parents were abusing him as a young child (leaving a child that age alone is abuse)? Maybe. Maybe not. Understanding why some kids rise given the same abuse and become “normal” can’t happen unless we talk about why it may have happened. And feeling sad for the child he was (and even the man he was becoming) isn’t wrong. It doesn’t lesson your compassion for the victims. It shows you are a loving, compassionate person.
Good points. I understand that there is something wrong in his brain and this is not just related to his parents deplorable parenting. And maybe he would have always been that person. But I do believe more involved parents could have done way more to prevent him having the tools to carry out what he wanted to do. They would certainly NOT have egged him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper