MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At that point in time, they probably didn't have justification for that. Drawing pictures and writing scary words on paper may not be enough to justify expulsion. He made no direct threat to anyone at the school.

They had no idea he was carrying a gun in his backpack, however, his parents probably suspected he had it. They had just bought it for him.
This is where the school should have an option to send a student home until there is an assessment by a mental health professional.

I suspect the teacher who reported him that morning was pretty ticked off that he was returned to the classroom. That's a typical dynamic when teachers report students and it seem to them there have been no consequences. But the teacher was most likely livid with the parents.

When a student is suspended or expelled, there are certain steps that must be followed. As someone said upthread, the admin. must have felt they didn't rise to this level. I wonder what the counselor's view was. I agree he should not have been returned to the classroom.

But the parents could have stopped this much earlier, in more than one way. The anger should be layed at their door

I agree. This was a matter for police, way too serious to be handled by just the school officials.

The fact that school administration did not insist upon in searching his backpack is a school safety 101 mistake. They also should have refused to allow parents to leave him at school. Ban him from campus and trespass him if parents refused.

I hold the school district, the parents, and the shooter responsible for this horrific tragedy. Every adult involved except the teacher who immediately turned over the picture of the drawing failed to protect the students.

Seems like every single time there are red flags and the parents, the school or the FBI ignore them. It's infuriating.

The school's concern was for Ethan's well being, in addition to the school's safety. If parent's refused to take him home, which it is stated was the case, how could they have expelled him? To where? With who? I do agree that best practices would be that he would have been placed in in-school suspension, or "safe school" as it was called at my last school. But the school's responsibility here pales in comparison to the parent's.

That’s what police are for. It is ridiculous that the school admin failed to involve LE in the meeting. Expel the student, trespass the student and the parents who refuse to take him home, step back and let LE professionals handle the rest. MOO

The school had him down to the office twice in two days. The parents ignored the school's concerns. The school insisted that the parents come in for a meeting right then and there, in the middle of a school and work day.

Seems like every single time there are red flags and the parents, the school or the FBI ignore them. It's infuriating.

Parents of suspected Michigan H.S. shooter are charged with involuntary manslaughter (nbcnews.com)

The Crumbleys have not cooperated with authorities, nor have they given their son permission to talk with investigators, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.

The parents of a teenager accused of killing four students at a Michigan high school were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter Friday, the prosecutor told The Associated Press.

Jennifer and James Crumbley were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. James Crumbley purchased the weapon for his son days before shooting, according to the sheriff. Under Michigan law, an involuntary manslaughter charge can be pursued if prosecutors believe someone contributed to a situation where harm or death was high. If convicted, they could face up to 15 years in prison.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been charged as an adult with two dozen crimes, including murder, attempted murder and terrorism, for the shooting Tuesday at Oxford High School in Oakland County, roughly 30 miles north of Detroit...

Parents are being charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter
Awesome news.

The more details that come out, the more the maximum Michigan sentence of 15 years is warranted for the parents. Hopefully, the sentences will not be served concurrently, thus increasing the penalty.

CNN reports that:

- Despite knowing that their son had a history of threats, the son was present when the father purchased the weapon. The son's presence at the purchase coupled with his referring to the weapon as "his" on social media directly raises the possibility that the weapon was purchased for the shooter.

- When informed that her son, was intending to purchase ammunition, the mother took no action. Instead, she cautioned her son to make further searches in a manner that he would not be caught.

Going beyond CNN to a totally amateur observation on my part....

The shooter used a partial quote from Hindu Scripture / atomic weapons development before opening fire:

"Now, I have become death" (full quote: "Now, I have become death, the destroyer of worlds")

Another poster pointed out that the partial quote is used for an episode title in a once popular TV series. Episode created in 2008, series ended 2010. It is possible that the shooter got the quote from this, or another similar source. But.... the quote is still obscure.

Likewise, the mother complained that her son needed a tutor for common core- not exactly mind bending material and thus suggests shooter was not academically inclined towards anything. This would include Hindu scripture, atomic history, or say noting titles to episodes of a show ending ten years ago.

Given the apparent provision of the weapon, ignoring an intent to purchase ammunition, I wonder if the parents also, as another poster suggested, fed him the "Now, I have become death, the destroyer of worlds" quote and.... the attitude?

Last edited:
Oxford High shooting victim's family: 'Our hearts are broken' (detroitnews.com)

The family of one of the four slain Oxford High School shooting victims thanked the community for the outpouring of support and urged everyone to never forget what was lost in the attack.

"We as a family have to mourn the loss of our son," the family of Justin Shilling said in a statement Friday morning. The statement was issued by the Oakland County Sheriff's Office. The statement also said the family wished not to be contacted by the media.

Shilling, 17, died Wednesday from wounds he received in Tuesday's shooting at the high school...

School staff are typically advocates for children. They would have been thinking about what was best for Ethan. They would have worried about him, not just seen him as a threat. That is what is hard to understand if a person has never worked in schools, with LE or other professions where you work with children.

They didn't want to just throw him out, remember, he didn't have a disciplinary record. Maybe the counselor or someone advocated for keeping him at school. I don't know how to explain how school staff have a "heart" for children. The public hears about a kid with "bad" behavior, and thinks, throw them out! Easy! But that's not how school staff think. I had students that moved, or were expelled, and I worried about them for a long time. Teachers typically don't want to get rid of kids and wash their hands of them. If he had a long history of behavior problems, it would have been easier.

As it turns out, it was a mistake to put this boy's well being above that of others. It's a balance and the school erred on the side of his well being, IMO.

He should not have been returned to the classroom. They failed to see the seriousness of his drawing and notes. They perhaps saw it as a isolated or first time offense, I don't know. At the least, if that classroom teacher didn't feel safe, he should not have been returned.

But the parents had the power and responsibility to stop all this in the first place.

That’s what police are for. It is ridiculous that the school admin failed to involve LE in the meeting. Expel the student, trespass the student and the parents who refuse to take him home, step back and let LE professionals handle the rest. MOO

I suspect the teacher who reported him that morning was pretty ticked off that he was returned to the classroom. That's a typical dynamic when teachers report students and it seem to them there have been no consequences. But the teacher was most likely livid with the parents.

When a student is suspended or expelled, there are certain steps that must be followed. As someone said upthread, the admin. must have felt they didn't rise to this level. I wonder what the counselor's view was. I agree he should not have been returned to the classroom.

But the parents could have stopped this much earlier, in more than one way. The anger should be layed at their door

According to the prosecutor (?) at the PC, the school asked the parents to take him home, but they refused and insisted the school allow him to remain there. What do you do when you try to kick a student out of school, but the parents refuse to remove him from the premises? 100% the parents' fault. JMO

But the parents had the power and responsibility to stop all this in the first place.
Well said.

They not only had the ability to stop him, but it looks like they directly facilitated the attack:

- Taking the shooter to purchase the weapon. Shooter later identifies the weapon as "his".
- Cautioning the shooter to be more careful when looking for ammunition to purchase.

Hoping for murder charges against the parents as well....

According to the prosecutor (?) at the PC, the school asked the parents to take him home, but they refused and insisted the school allow him to remain there. What do you do when you try to kick a student out of school, but the parents refuse to remove him from the premises? 100% the parents' fault. JMO
You call the police first, and then CPS. moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee