Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, you are right about that. I just don't see placing any guilt on his friends who last saw him at this time. No evidence they were involved; they thought he'd make it safely to his next location, is my assumption. They lack the life experience we have. If they have a conscience, they now regret not going together with him. Let's give them grace - unless more evidence comes out otherwise...
IDK, I am sure my kid will make his own mistakes in his 20's. It's just terribly sad.
"No evidence they were involved;" ...that we (the public) know about. There was very limited information released about this case. We're all still making our own assumptions (including me).

FWIW, there is a YouTuber who works on a rescue team and he took a video of the log jam a month ago. He was saying in the video that nothing would be able to get through the log jam. The video even showed how it crossed the entire river. Ryan Robinson and other civilians like this YouTuber were looking in the right areas.

Can you provide a link for the YouTube video? Thanks.

I found all of the videos that YouTuber made very informative. I saw another video news clip of reactions from MSU students to the discovery. They were pretty shocked, horrified and nervous. I will have to hunt that video down.

I found all of the videos that YouTuber made very informative. I saw another video news clip of reactions from MSU students to the discovery. They were pretty shocked, horrified and nervous. I will have to hunt that video down.
@Valerie D. -- thanks for the link to the log jam also described by LE. Take note that TOS prohibits posting videos from non-MSM or non-WS approved sources. It's a lot of work to hunt videos down, and respectfully suggest OP get pre-approval from @Sillybilly and/or other Mod prior to posting from a questionable source (Mods often grant a one-time exception based on content).

@Valerie D. -- thanks for the link to the log jam also described by LE. Take note that TOS prohibits posting videos from non-MSM or non-WS approved sources. It's a lot of work to hunt videos down, and respectfully suggest OP get pre-approval from @Sillybilly and/or other Mod prior to posting from a questionable source (Mods often grant a one-time exception based on content).

Noted, thanks. What is the procedure for citing a non-approved video that might be informative to others ( like this one)?

Noted, thanks. What is the procedure for citing a non-approved video that might be informative to others ( like this one)?
You contact the mods in advance and they will let you know if it is approved for posting
For example if you go to the end of the thread page, it gives details of the moderators on currently so you hit their name and create a conversation
That’s how I would do it but I don’t know if there’s another way or a set format

You contact the mods in advance and they will let you know if it is approved for posting
For example if you go to the end of the thread page, it gives details of the moderators on currently so you hit their name and create a conversation
That’s how I would do it but I don’t know if there’s another way or a set format
Thanks. Got it.

Here is the article with the video of MSU students reacting to the news that Brendan was found. I'm hoping it's okay to post since it's from tv news 10, WILX.

MSU students respond to discovery of body believed to be Brendan Santo
Thank you @Valerie D. -- MSM is fine.

How heartbreaking for these students -- especially the freshman that probably had been away from home for the first time and for only about 8 weeks when this happened. So sorry for Brendan's parents -- you don't send your child away to university with the thought of him never coming home again. :( Sending them comfort and peace.

I sure hope the authorities are truthful
when they are forthcoming on their final
word on this agonizing case.I wished that Rozeman wouldn't keep repeating that no
foul play was suspected in this.
So,are we going to be told that he went
down the steep embankment by the black
railing that has an opening between that
and trees,and he fell down the dropoff?
I signed the petition to get the city to fix
that opening,as a big safety concern.
Have they completely ruled out foul play
then?A young,strong,and big kid,just ends
up in that river?Has anyone put together
a plausible scenario? What about the kid
from that college,who a few weeks into
this disappearance of Brendan Santo,had
a van approach him and the occupant
ordered him to get into the van?
The police have to know what shady people live in that neighborhood,
including those that have harmed others.
And nobody saw anything? This is a
terrible tragedy,and even though I don't
know the family,it is still very sickening.
He reminds me of my youngest son,and
I can't imagine the grief that the family
is going through.<modsnip>
Continue to pray for the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope the authorities are truthful
when they are forthcoming on their final
word on this agonizing case.I wished that Rozeman wouldn't keep repeating that no
foul play was suspected in this.
So,are we going to be told that he went
down the steep embankment by the black
railing that has an opening between that
and trees,and he fell down the dropoff?
I signed the petition to get the city to fix
that opening,as a big safety concern.
Have they completely ruled out foul play
then?A young,strong,and big kid,just ends
up in that river?Has anyone put together
a plausible scenario? What about the kid
from that college,who a few weeks into
this disappearance of Brendan Santo,had
a van approach him and the occupant
ordered him to get into the van?
The police have to know what shady people live in that neighborhood,
including those that have harmed others.
And nobody saw anything? This is a
terrible tragedy,and even though I don't
know the family,it is still very sickening.
He reminds me of my youngest son,and
I can't imagine the grief that the family
is going through.Not to bring more doom
but I think people should watch the series
on the (happy) smiley face killers,which
is an excellent hypothesized,truthful look
at a very possible evil that lurks near us.
MN has had their share,as do others,of
mysterious and suspicious deaths of young adults whose bodies were found
in water. Continue to pray for the family.
I agree that repeating "no foul play" during every briefing seems disingenuous. It doesn't seem to quell the uneasy feelings students are experiencing. I'm gathering this from news interviews I've watched. Imagine that you are a student watching police and investigators search your campus for a missing visitor for three months. The police only give sparse details about the case and don't really provide very much information on why they suspect the visitor is probably dead and in the river.
I understand certain details cannot be disclosed but they can reveal SOMETHING more for the sake of the students.
The area you're describing (where there is a separation in fence on Michigan Ave.) is heavily wooded and it would be extremely difficult to miss all the trees and land in the water. It doesn't seem like extra fencing is helping ease anxiety on campus very much IMO.

Last edited:
Such a tragedy. Looking back, I can see how this might have been the perfect storm for Brendan.

Combine winter weather, darkness, and a barrier breach to the creek where both debris and log jam could easily disguise the actual water, and I see an invitation to disaster!

Personally, I have terrible night blindness where it's the only time I need glasses to accomplish what I do with no correction required during the daylight hours. And with a clear head, I'd probably mistake the debris as a ford thinking I could cross the water here. :eek:

I'm so sorry this happened to this beautiful young man. May he be the last to succumb to the errors of this campus infrastructure.

I also suggest any MSU alumni reading be sure to qualify your generous gifts by restricting the use of your contributions to either campus lighting or the pedestrian river safety program until further notice. MOO

I agree that repeating "no foul play" during every briefing seems disingenuous. It doesn't seem to quell the uneasy feelings students are experiencing. I'm gathering this from news interviews I've watched. Imagine that you are a student watching police and investigators search your campus for a missing visitor for three months. The police only give sparse details about the case and don't really provide very much information on why they suspect the visitor is probably dead and in the river.
I understand certain details cannot be disclosed but they can reveal SOMETHING more for the sake of the students.
The area you're describing (where there is a separation in fence on Michigan Ave.) is heavily wooded and it would be extremely difficult to miss all the trees and land in the water. It doesn't seem like extra fencing is helping ease anxiety on campus very much IMO.
Valerie D********
No,I wasn't suggesting that that is where
Brendan Santo went in,but there is a photo showing a man stsanding right in
that spot and the caption states that they
want to close that off as well as other
areas,I would imagine.
I guess my thoughts on this whole
devestating affair,and I am not in any way,shape,or form,blaming anyone,
but there are many questions to be asked.
It sounds like he didn't have far to go,
and I don't know how it came to be that
that he ended up in the river.So,at what
point did he go in?And when? Did he
make a fatal miscalculation? How?
Or did something else happen? Was he
approached?Were his injuries/fractures
still presentable enough at his autopsy
that would show if they were consistent
with a terrible fall? Can't they tell by the
amount of water in someone's lungs,if
they were deceased before going into
the water? And for the police to put off
looking in that area for 3 months,and
then it was an investigator that found him.I don't want to say too much more
out of respect for his family.But I do wish
someone would speculate on what could
have happened.Someone who knows the
area very well.And others that may know
more than what is being released,and if
anything is being held back.
There may be a good reason if there is
an anxiety buzz in the air.
Take care

Valerie D********
No,I wasn't suggesting that that is where
Brendan Santo went in,but there is a photo showing a man stsanding right in
that spot and the caption states that they
want to close that off as well as other
areas,I would imagine.
I guess my thoughts on this whole
devestating affair,and I am not in any way,shape,or form,blaming anyone,
but there are many questions to be asked.
It sounds like he didn't have far to go,
and I don't know how it came to be that
that he ended up in the river.So,at what
point did he go in?And when? Did he
make a fatal miscalculation? How?
Or did something else happen? Was he
approached?Were his injuries/fractures
still presentable enough at his autopsy
that would show if they were consistent
with a terrible fall? Can't they tell by the
amount of water in someone's lungs,if
they were deceased before going into