Deceased/Not Found MI - Coral Hall, 14, Flint, 22 Sept 1998 - *L. Janish guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It just seems sooooo.... Coincidental is all. She goes and tells DCS that she is being abused or neglected. Now they cannot release those reports to the public, so we will never know what the true nature of the problems were that she reported. It could have been beatings, it could have been neglect IE not have enough to eat or no winter clothes, it could have been some sort of sexual abuse or something else. Whatever it was, she goes and tells them about it, puts in a complaint, looking for either help or attention or a reason to be removed from the home she is in. Whether it is true or not, she puts it in. Than she calls her friend, and tells her friend that she is having "problems at home". Sounds like she doesn't elaborate, but whatever she says, it is enough for her friend to become concerned. So the friend calls HER uncle, (that's what it sounds like to me), and the two of them drive down to where she is supposed to be waiting for them. But Coral is nowhere to be seen. So they start driving around. What gets me, is this. How big of a coincidence that she goes to Child Services for help, AND calls a friend to say she is having big problems at home, big enough that she wants to LIVE with the friend, and by the time the friend and her uncle get there, she has vanished into thin air.

It makes me think maybe someone from the home found her and did something to her for telling child services. Or maybe she went back home to grab something she forgot, something important. A piece of jewelery, or some money she had forgotten and had stashed away, or a teddy bear she could never replace, maybe a favorite top or something, and than something was done to her. Either way it suggests foul play to me.

And it was her birthday, because she went missing the day after her 14th birthday. What the heck happened in that house?

I am glad her case is getting so much attention from all of you here at Websleuths. You have no idea how much you all have helped her case and how far we have come in the short time that I have been a member of this site. I agree with Laurabean's post about her going to CPS and then coming up missing on the same day. I just wish that we knew what she was reporting. Who she was alledging abused her. I'm sure it is in the report.
Why the police have not looked into this with more gusto is beyond me. I questioned the detective about this and just wanted to know if he looked into her going to CPS and all he said was that he could not discuss it with me. I went with my friend Tanya to track down Lois on Wednesday and went to two possible places of residence for her to ask her my own line of questioning but we could not find her. I feel like if I could locate her she might be willing to talk to me if I act like I am not suspicious of her and that I just want her opinion of what happened and then slyly get my questions anwsered. I still have not heard back from the journalist. I think I'll call him again today. It's been about a week since I called him and I also sent him an email a few days ago. I am actually surprised that he hasn't gotten back with me. Hopefully I can talk to him soon.

I wish Melissa P would find us here and answer some of our questions/discuss Corals case with us. I would think LE interviewed her.... but how much did LE investigate the facts she presented? I don't know.

What concerns me is did LE follow up on the 'tip' that she reported to DSFS or whatever the agency is called in MI that she was being abused.

Coral reports being abused and goes missing on the same day.
There is certainly a connection there....... of somekind.

Maybe Coral felt 'helpless' when she left that appointment.
I wish we knew more about Corals frame of mind from the time she reported the alleged abuse to the time she allegedly called Melissa P. Melissa P would be the one to know that info...... Did Melissa P feel 'comfortable' with dropping Coral off at home after that appointment? Did they leave feeling confident it would be investigated? Would Coral have 'thrown' what she did in her grandmothers face and those two males who were rooming with them? I can see a 14 year old doing that.... (I was a smart a' at 14..... and I prolly would have done something like that...) or was she the type to know better than to say she reported the abuse?

So many questions..........

Who took them to this appointment? When was it made and by who? These girls can't drive, so was it close enough they could walk or ride a bike? This was on her birthday, yes? So why didn't a social worker act on this report? Nothing adds up here.

Has anyone inquired about getting the police reports using the FOIA yet? I got information for another case by going to the FBI site and downloading the form and submitting it it back to them. The person I was inquiring about was dead, so I had to submit a Death Certificate. If the FBI are not involved as in Coral's case, do we get the form from the FBI site, fill it out and mail to the police or back to FBI? We managed to get the FBI report and police report in the other case, but it came from FBI because it was investigated by them and the police report was included. We could start there.....

Lieber32, what would my request have to entail? I really don't know how to go about submitting a letter to the police using the FOIA. I wouldn't even know what to say to them to convince them that I have a ligitimate reason to have acess to Coral's case files. If you could please give me some help with that I would be greatful. Thank you.

I am not sure how much help as that all goes through our legal department. I would be surprised if the Flint Mich police department didn't have a legal department, we do and they handle the more complicated cases and or issues. We have certain things in regards to protocol of who is entitled to info (spouse, parents of adult children, etc) that legal is looking over for us at the moment. Things change in regards to who is entitled to what and we don't decide it (even though some customers think we are just being mean and withholding information because we can). I do know of some cases in which a customer was unable to get info from us (not because were mean but because its not in our power) that have been able to use the freedom of information act to obtain information. Also insurance companies, lawyers, law enforcement (even private investigators) have access to info that others don't. If the FOIA route doesn't work maybe hiring a private investigator will. I've seen people go that route and be successful in obtaining closed documents.

Who took them to this appointment? When was it made and by who? These girls can't drive, so was it close enough they could walk or ride a bike? This was on her birthday, yes? So why didn't a social worker act on this report? Nothing adds up here.

Bern, I believe Melissa Pierce was about 5 to 10 years older than Coral. As it was stated that an "older friend Melissa Pierce" had taked her to CPS so that Coral could report abuse. And it was the day after her 14th birthday. She went to CPS and then went missing later that day. I want to get ahold of Melissa and ask her who was living with Coral and her grandma and what was going on that day and what was she reporting to CPS. So many questions.
I wish I could locate her. I think I have her address but no way of comfirming that I have the right one. As I said, I found a Melissa Pearce with relatives with her maiden name D. I am hoping the spelling "Pierce" was a typo and that the correct spelling is Pearce. If so, I am 99% sure this is the Melissa we seek.

I tried to find a website that had a form for the FOIA but one of them I had to pay for and another was for immigration. Does anyone have a link for a good FOIA form?

Well, I didn't have the right Melissa Pearce but I did find the right one today, Still the same spelling as I said before, "Pearce", but I know for sure that it is her because of her previous address is in Flint where she used to live the summer that Coral went missing. I found the right info using integrascan.com, thanks Cubby for the tip, and then used white pages.com for the number. I gave the info to the detective working on Coral's case and asked him to give her a call and find out what was going on at home with Coral and if there were two men living with Coral and her grandma at the time Coral went missing. If anyone, Melissa should know this. Since we can't get a straight anwser outta granny. Hopefully he will call her. I know that I should but I am so nervous! I don't know what to say. but I think Tanya will prolly call for me and break the ice. I'll let you guys know what we find out.

The detective emailed me back and gave me Lois's, Coral's grandma's, address and phone number. I have to get back with Tanya and see when we can get together and call her or go to her house. I had asked the detevtive who else he interviewed/talked to besides Lois and Coral's half sister Jacinda. I gave him Melissa Pearce's address that I found and is current and said that if anyone, she would know what was going on around the time Coral went missing and if there were in fact two men living with Coral and her grandma Lois. I asked him to contact her. In response he told me quote: "Something you need to understand is that I am not the original investigator on this case. Several interviews and followups were done before me. Yes, I have conducted numerous interviews myself but everything comes up a dead end." end quote. So he really didn't tell me if he did speak with Melissa Pearce. But if he did maybe he didn't dig to deep into it. Or maybe she didn't tell him everything, I don't know but I think she knows something that would help.

Today at work I had someone come in looking for an incident report from awhile ago. It was peace disturbance/domestic (thats what he wrote on the form). He had no idea what month just a year, and when running those involved found nothing. Then one of my co-workers suggested I run a calls for service (what we call cad, basically all calls made to 911 and what for). We generally use a wide scope while searching (month before and after, three blocks within street, etc). Anyone is entitled to this information. Its free, not used that often and in the city of St.Louis at least it goes back quite aways (was told 1987). The year I searched today three years prior to when Coral went missing. Not sure if all cities offer this service or how far back they go. By the way there was no police report ever made but police were called to this address at least twenty times in a three month period. It will tell you the date and type of incident. I find it a useful tool but again not sure if its a service that is or was offered in the area Coral went missing. By the way it isn't always the resident of address that make the calls, there a many instances of neighbors calling the cops especially for peace disturbances and domestic issues.

Thank you Lieber32, that is a great idea. Do I contact the police station for this information? Is it going to cost me money?

lieber32 do you have copies of the incident reports? How would one find the information you searched regarding the police being called to the residence?

tia

I just wanted to let everyone know that I finallly spoke with Melissa P. I cannot discuss what we talked about. But I think that after she speaks with the dectective they may have a person or person's of interest. I am just shocked with the CPS report that Coral filed that they didn't look into this sooner.

So glad to hear Melissa P has info she can share with the detective regarding Corals case. Of course keep that confidential. We wouldn't want to impair the case....

lieber32 do you have copies of the incident reports? How would one find the information you searched regarding the police being called to the residence?

tia

In St.Louis we use CAD, if a customer comes in requesting a police report and we cannot find it using their name (this is especially true if the name is not common) we go to CAD and put in the address. We generally don't put in the exact address or date as customers aren't always sure of it. So we would put in 1500 1700 palm, aug 10-oct 31st. They are giving complaint numbers by police but half of all people don't keep them so we have to search for it, if a name search comes up with nothing we do a search in cad using address and date. I can only search for St.Louis City. All calls to 911 or telephone reporting are entered into CAD. Even if a report is not made the call gets listed. In St.Louis this information is free, just go to records and request it. Not many people do.

Just trying to understand.

Lieber I pulled this from your first post about 'cad'

By the way there was no police report ever made but police were called to this address at least twenty times in a three month period.

I had possibly misunderstood that to mean there were 20+ calls to Corals house in a three month period before she went missing. That must have not refered to Corals case but whatever you were researching for something entirely different in the St. Louis area?

If Melissa or someone wanted to do this research for Corals case how would they go about doing so?

Just trying to understand.

Lieber I pulled this from your first post about 'cad'

By the way there was no police report ever made but police were called to this address at least twenty times in a three month period.

I had possibly misunderstood that to mean there were 20+ calls to Corals house in a three month period before she went missing. That must have not refered to Corals case but whatever you were researching for something entirely different in the St. Louis area?

If Melissa or someone wanted to do this research for Corals case how would they go about doing so?

Good questions. CAD is just 911 calls made (date, address, type of incident/ burglary, domestic, peace disturbance) Just because 911 is called doesn't mean a police report is made. So if a customer comes into Records to get a police report on an incident and I can't retrieve it from I-Leads using name, complaint number (customer doesn't have one), etc I will run a Calls for Service (CAD) using a time frame and address (ex. 1400 grand to 1600 grand 1/10/10 to 2/10/10). This will tell me if a police report was made on date, address, type of incident and if there is a complaint number, a police report was made. If no complaint number on far right side just the date, address and type of incident without complaint number police responded just no report made for whatever reason. My customer (landowner who has several tenants that have nuisance violations over the year needs to find out about a specific address and time frame) Thinks that due to the residing residents have marital problems there would have been police reports reflecting this. No police reports but when I ran a Calls for Service (CAD) find police were called to this residence twenty times in a three month time frame but there is never a report number on the right hand side which means no report was ever made of said calls ranging from domestic to disturbance. This occured in Saint Louis and the landowner was able to get this info for free as Calls for Service in St.Louis are free. Also anyone can request this data in St.Louis, it is open to the public. Hope that clarifys things a little. Due to him knowing the name of renters and time frame I am guessing he doesn't own a lot of properties or keeps very meticulous records. In Saint Louis this info can be obtained by visiting the records dept, don't know if the same applies to other juristictions.

Thank you lieber32, I have to wait til after the holidays, it's pretty busy for me. But as soon as I'm able I will get down to FPD and request the 911 calls for the time and area and see what we can come up with.

I am still working on Coral's case. I cannot talk about the new information that I have aquired but I just wanted to let everyone know that I feel good about our progress. Hopefully this new information can give the police a lead to go on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios
Back