Found Deceased MI - Dr. Teleka Patrick, 30, Kalamazoo, 5 Dec 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
is anyone else's margins blown??? Every page/thread I look at and my zoom is not turned up or down, just blown margins all round.

Sorry for the OT

I would not judge him for accepting the reward. I can't imagine how traumatic finding a body would be. I might need to talk to someone or something after such an experience.

Yes, the blown margins are irritating.

I did have some hope that she did make it to the road and hitched a ride.I knew it was a slim chance . That lake was searched with sonar and the area searched several times as late as a week or so ago by LE and PI. I just feel so sad about all this. :(
I wonder why the sonar didnt detect her?

It just goes to show the limitations of man-made technology!

Thanks for this post.

I just saw a news clip on Youtube that says there was a barbed wire fence around the lake. Now I'm confused about how she got to the lake past that barbed wire.
Maybe her car was up against the fence and she hopped on the hood and over? In the photo taken by a member here, it showed a small limb or tree bending the barbed wire and fence down making it easier to climb over near her car, too. Dr. Patrick was also tall and climbing over wouldn't be that big of a deal. Only the top wire was barbed. Some may have the idea it was like razor wire you see in prisons, but it was a simple cattle fence.

:deadhorse:

There are multiple reasons why they would not find her back in December and January.

It isn't unusual for bodies to be missed, even though extensive searches were done, and then afterwards they will float to the top when the weather warms up. Other missing bodies in lakes/rivers/ponds have had extensive searches too with no results for months, but many of them are found once they rise to the top, and that happens when the water is much warmer like it is now with no ice on the lake.

If the air temp at the time she went in was 40, 50s the water itself was at least that cold or colder. No one can survive in that cold of temperature. The body temp would rapidly decline and hypothermia would soon set in.

Since she has been in very cold water, and with the lake being iced over for months, that slowed down the decomp rate. She will have some decomp but not nearly as much as she would if she went in during the spring or summertime.

So I am confident the ME will determine how she died. Which I honestly do believe will be from accidental drowning.

I hate having to be so graphic but just saying this trying to explain why she rose now. When the body is depleted of air in the lungs it will plunge to the bottom of the lake bed. There it can become trapped in deep crevices, downed trees, and debris keeping it hidden from view on the bottom. The decomp is slowed dramatically when the body is in cold water. The body needs warmth to rise. When the lake becomes warmer in the spring now the body will have more decomp gases building up inside of it, and that is why they finally float to the surface. That is why many drowned victims who went into the water during cold weather are found afloat during the spring....ie known as "spring floaters."

Remember when Scott Peterson put Laci and Conner in the cold waters of the bay during December? Laci's and Conner's remains did not rise, and come ashore until April when the waters had warmed up. Remains in water needs heat to push them to the surface. Heat builds up gases within the remains and those gases helps the body to rise.

The same thing that has brought Teleka's body to the surface now.

IMO

Thanks for explaining this so well! :)

I read nothing in that article (or any other) stating (or quoting) her Mother confirming it's Teleka's body. ??

However, Patrick’s mother told 24 Hour News 8 over the phone on Sunday afternoon that it was Patrick’s body.

At the beginning of the article.

Fisherman: Hoping for closure for Patrick’s family
By Ken KolkerUpdated: Monday, April 7, 2014, 5:51 pmPublished: Monday, April 7, 2014, 5:48 pm

http://woodtv.com/2014/04/07/fisherman-hoping-for-closure-for-patricks-family/

“I started casting and then I looked over and I seen something that wasn’t right,” he said. “I just went over there, walked around, noticed it was what I thought it was.”

The body was face down in shallow water. He saw no obvious sign of injury.

“She’s probably 15 to 20 feet out, out in the water,” he said. “I just feel bad that I had to find her this way.”

He said he waded into the lake to make sure of what he had found. Then he called the local police department.

After making the discovery, he went online and watched footage of Patrick just before she went missing. He noticed the black jacket she was wearing was just like the one worn by the woman he found in the water, he said.

“That’s what got me,” he said. “That’s her.”

Hmmmm. This seems strange to me. News articles indicate that due to the level of decomposition they couldn't confirm body's identity until autopsy performed and dental records and fingerprints are used.....yet this man was magically able to recognize her that easily such that he looked her up on the internet? Seems a little far-fetched to me, IMO.

Hmmmm. This seems strange to me. News articles indicate that due to the level of decomposition they couldn't confirm body's identity until autopsy performed and dental records and fingerprints are used.....yet this man was magically able to recognize her that easily such that he looked her up on the internet? Seems a little far-fetched to me, IMO.

I don't find it strange. He was basing it off of her jacket and not her body. LE's requirements for a positive identification are going to be a lot more stringent than the fisherman's.

IMO it's not so far-fetched.

A simple google search using the phrase "woman missing near lake charles indiana" yielded the following article (among many) regarding the January 23rd search of the lake for Teleka: http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_795b38f0-8a6a-11e3-8996-0017a43b2370.html

From there it would be pretty simple to look her up by name and find the radisson video and see that she was wearing the same type of clothing as the body found in the lake. I don't find anything magical about that, IMO.

This is awful news. I was so hopeful that Teleka was hiding out or at least wandering around.

However, Patrick’s mother told 24 Hour News 8 over the phone on Sunday afternoon that it was Patrick’s body.

At the beginning of the article.

Her daughter states mom has not told anyone that. No matter how it's "sliced or diced" reality says it's her. By this after noon they'll lay this to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see a picture of that fence!

I'd like to see a picture of that fence!

There is a picture from January in Media & Map Links

Sent from my Lite-Brite modded to run Free BSD.

Maybe her car was up against the fence and she hopped on the hood and over? In the photo taken by a member here, it showed a small limb or tree bending the barbed wire and fence down making it easier to climb over near her car, too. Dr. Patrick was also tall and climbing over wouldn't be that big of a deal. Only the top wire was barbed. Some may have the idea it was like razor wire you see in prisons, but it was a simple cattle fence.

:deadhorse:

I have climbed over fences before, I don't see why she couldn't of done the same...they are some very capable women out there...even on Websleuths.

I read nothing in that article (or any other) stating (or quoting) her Mother confirming it's Teleka's body. ??

The article has changed from when I first read it.

Sent from my Lite-Brite modded to run Free BSD.

I did have some hope that she did make it to the road and hitched a ride.I knew it was a slim chance . That lake was searched with sonar and the area searched several times as late as a week or so ago by LE and PI. I just feel so sad about all this. :(
I wonder why the sonar didnt detect her?

Because like all things in life even sonar is not full proof.

Many sonar searches have been done for other victims in a body of cold water and they weren't found either. Many things can make that happen.

Once the air is replaced with water in the lungs the body will sink to the very bottom and can drift becoming entangled/hidden in down trees, debris, and even sink into open crevices on the bottom. When they do they are impossible for the sonar to detect them. Sonar is great when the body is in a open wide area free of any obstructions on the bottom. Most lakes however do have things on the bottom of the bed that can obscure a body.

Teleka rose on her own once her body warmed up creating the gases needed to rise to the surface. Just like Laci and Conner rose to the surface in April even though SP put them in the bay in cold water in December. There were many sonar searches before then for them as well.

While it is very sad that this is the tragic results at least her family can now have some type of peace knowing she can be brought home for a proper burial.

IMO

Thanks for explaining this so well! :)

You are very welcome.

I remember back decades ago about a famous case Dr. Baden had. A woman had been put in cold water after she was killed by either her husband or boyfriend, I can't remember which one now. Anyway she was being held down by an old car transmission. She was submerged in water for 7 months. I believe it was also a fisherman that found her as well.

Before they retrieved her body they went underwater, and took photos of the poor young woman. I haven't looked at those photos for years now, but I vividly remember how intact she was, and she had on a dress with flowers on it that had not faded. She also was bound with duct tape and Dr. Baden was able to retrieve fingerprints off the duct tape that belonged to her murderer. That is when he was an ME for the state.

The reason I bring this case up as long as the body remained below the surface in cold water the decomposition was slowed dramatically.

Now once it does rise to the surface and is in the heat of the sun it can rapidly begin to decompose at a much faster rate. That is why I believe (JMO) that Teleka's body had risen days or maybe even a week or so before she was found. Still though the ME said he could obtain her fingerprints to ID her if need be.

IMO

Her daughter states mom has not told anyone that. No matter how it's "sliced or diced" reality says it's her. By this after noon they'll lay this to rest.

Of course its her. It couldn't be anyone else. A black lady dressed all in black about 200 yards from her car. There is no way its anyone but her. I know this is a shock to the family and certainly not what they want to hear. I feel so bad for them. Certainly not what I wanted to hear either. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet Place
Back