MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I keep going over the cash drawer being out. Wasn't it posted that Exxon's hours were until 11:30 p.m. Friday night? I too am perplexing why she would be clearing out the draw so early. And cleaning supplies were out. Would you not get your cleaning done, read the pumps, then zero out your drawer...hmmm

Good point. Could she have offered the cash drawer in exchange for her life?

Okay I keep going over the cash drawer being out. Wasn't it posted that Exxon's hours were until 11:30 p.m. Friday night? I too am perplexing why she would be clearing out the draw so early. And cleaning supplies were out. Would you not get your cleaning done, read the pumps, then zero out your drawer...hmmm

I've been wondering about that too. I worked at a store for a few years and we would "pre-count" our drawers sometimes if it was a slow shift and close to closing time. That way, if you were lucky enough that nobody paid with cash for the rest of your shift, you were golden. Jessica's fiance said that she told him she was going to hurry home, or come right home...something along those lines. I wonder if at 11:00 she decided to pre-count and then clean, or was in the middle of cleaning, had to stop for a customer and then decided to pre-count when that customer left so at 11:30 her cleaning and her count would be done and she could just leave. Just a thought.

Someone said they thought she had gone out back to smoke and he took her then. WRONG. You don't leave the cash drawer out, the front door unlocked and the store unmanned. NOT FOR A SECOND. I used to work in a gas station. There is no way she would have been allowed to do that even with the cash drawer put away. You don't leave the store unmanned and unlocked, period. Not even if a customer has an "emergency" out back. You call 911 for them. That is why I believe he came into the store, she was forced to go with him, and that he was armed. MOO.
I agree, why was the cash drawer out half an hour before close? Does this mean open? Then she was hit while making change..was it on the counter? Why? No employee counts half an hour early. Too many variables, and it is risky. Someone could walk up and steal. This I don't understand. Why count early unless you are leaving early. I would like to know what out means, I guess.

Let's remember why we're here folks.

This is about Jessica.

I'm not sure what she was doing at the time really matters much now. I mean, it is something to ponder and discuss, but since cash was not stolen, she could just as well have been mopping the floor or standing on her head, and she still would have been abducted.

I just hope LE has good info with the description and the vehicle type, seeing how they appear to have nothing, or little, else. I really hate counting on eyewitnesses though, with no license plates or other hard facts as back-up. I know we saw a silver van in the video, but does LE have proof that she was in it?

I agree, why was the cash drawer out half an hour before close? Does this mean open? Then she was hit while making change..was it on the counter? Why? No employee counts half an hour early. Too many variables, and it is risky. Someone could walk up and steal. This I don't understand. Why count early unless you are leaving early. I would like to know what out means, I guess.

Perhaps she wanted to leave a bit earlier, and close the station earlier than it was supposed to be closed?

I'm not sure what she was doing at the time really matters much now. I mean, it is something to ponder and discuss, but since cash was not stolen, she could just as well have been mopping the floor or standing on her head, and she still would have been abducted.

I just hope LE has good info with the description and the vehicle type, seeing how they appear to have nothing, or little, else. I really hate counting on eyewitnesses though, with no license plates or other hard facts as back-up. I know we saw a silver van in the video, but does LE have proof that she was in it?

I think it matters only in that she might be more comfortable stepping out with the drawer out if she knew, or thought she knew, whoever took her. Or if she had the drawer out and someone she knew walked in, she might be less hasty to get it back into the register than if it was a stranger.

We have never really considered the possibility that she is willingly missing. I think it is a remote possibility, but just maybe. Could the crime scene be staged?

The cash drawer being out has me confused also. Even if she was doing a pre-count, when a customer came in, the natural thing to do would have been to put the cash drawer away. No responsible employee would leave it out in front of a customer, even one you think you know well. Why was it out???

Also, how long had she worked at this gas station??

:wagon: Maggiewho! :seeya:

I think you (and other posters) may be on to something regarding the perp being a guy who has access to a cabin somewhere fairly close...

Rental?
Owner?
Abandonded?
???

JMO
Unfortunately, some of these cabins are just pop up campers, on a plot of land. My friend owns land up there, and he states that it is difficult to know who owns what because in the 70's people pretty much squatted the land, so paper trail may be difficult..which puts a different spin on it. Let's not be disheartened. Many people own the land legitimately now. (giving you an idea it is wilderness by Baldwin, and Ludington. Not too much is up there as far as stores. Canoe rentals, and mom and pop shops.

I agree that it's likely not significant that the cash drawer was out.

Possibly out of frustration with the lack of leads in this case, folks are just reviewing what little we do know and trying to conjure up some/any lead out of the known facts.

I'd guess that based on her experience at that location they did very little business between 11 pm and 11:30 pm and maybe she even turned the deadbolt 10-15 mins early and only let customers get gas who paid at the pump at that point? after all, there weren't any cameras for her boss to know what time she locked the front door.

It's also possible the bosses were ok with closing the inside store at 11 pm and only letting pay at the pump customers get gas for that last half hour.

Sorry to bring this up again if it is nothing but it is just bugging me. Was this silver van with no license plate ever checked out by the police? It was found by misterGwriter on Monday and was still there as of Wednesday. If it is still in the same spot today, I would be highly suspicious of it.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - ACTIVE SEARCH MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #2

No idea if it's been checked out or not. Police aren't really saying much. If reporters are reading this, why don't one of you (reporters) call the apartment complex and see if it's been moved?

I wonder if the drawer was out because she was hoping to duck out early. Maybe it is usually very slow after 11, so she took the drawer out, was going to take it back to count it or lock it up- what ever it is they do with it... then do a quick clean up and go home. And a 'customer' came up so she opened the door.....

The gas station doesn't actually close till 11:30, so the theory that she locked up and then let someone in doesn't stick. Her last transaction was at 10:51 and the 911 caller said he pulled in at 11:07 tried to get gas and the pump was not being activated so he went in, walked through the store and then called at around 11:15.
If you assume the last customer left a cpl of minutes after completing their transaction, that leaves 14 minutes. If you take into account that the first video has the van passing old homestead at 11:02 and then the coin zone at 11:04 leaves even less time. It takes all of 2 minutes to travel from the gas station to the old homestead. Thats about 7 minutes to get in the store, subdue her and then put her in his van without causing a scene or an evident struggle.
I think the perp waited till that last person left the gas station and saw his opportunity which leads me to believe that this was all about Jessica and not just a random abduction. Most businesses in that area are closed by 11, I think the big game card room is the only place that stays open later than that aside from the gas station closing at 11:30.
As far as the red/orange sweatshirt are concerned: I don't think he "planned" on abducting her, I think an opportunity presented itself and he took it. The police said on day 1 that they believed she was possibly being stalked...

We have never really considered the possibility that she is willingly missing. I think it is a remote possibility, but just maybe. Could the crime scene be staged?

That would be sad, as she has a child and boyfriend....It is sad any way you look at it. I know recently with the lady that was missing for 11 years that she has 2 children that she left behind, and she left on her own accord and it hurt her children and it is so selfish. I am thinking why would Jessica work so hard for her family, only to stage a crime scene. In that video of Jessica with her son, it is apparent that she loves him, so I don't think she left willingly.

Isn't there a Meijer just up the road? Those are usually 24/7.

Does the Meijer there have gas? usually cheaper at Meijer stations than the national chains that are right on the freeway.

Sounds like they've pulled Meijer's security camera footage. which is good, because it's like a law in West Michigan that everyone must go to Meijer at least once every other day and it's possible they'll run across the perp on Meijer's sec footage.

Ann Marie LaFlamme ‏@AnnMarieLaFlamm 9m
HAPPENING NOW: Police are questioning someone at Norton Shores PD in the search for #JessicaHeeringa @FOX17

:eek::thud:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member