MI MI - Jodi Parrack, 11, abducted & murdered, Constantine, 7 Nov 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(Cont'd from previous)

Some thoughts on Jodi’s route:

I understand that the family Jodi was visiting with on the evening of her disappearance lived on the 100 block of E 3rd, and that she was last seen heading down to the corner with S Washington St. From this, can I assume she was headed for the gas station on the opposite side of S Washington, at E 2nd? (There doesn’t seem a closer option on the surrounding blocks, and more importantly for a kid on a bike by a busy road, there’s a pedestrian crossing to the gas station right there at the bottom of E 2nd - the next crossing point on S Washington St looks to be at E 6th, which is way off-map given that Jodi lived on, and was ultimately intending to head back to, Centerville St.)

If Jodi was indeed heading for the gas station at S Washington/E 2nd, we’re told she never got there. Ok, so:

1. Judging by the volume of S Washington traffic captured on Street View, and bearing in mind that Jodi was last seen between 4.45-5pm - a pretty busy time of day, near enough rush hour - I find it very hard to imagine a typical abduction taking place on S Washington (especially given that her bike was also picked up; too messy, too risky). In fact, I find it almost as hard to imagine that even a familiar face would attempt a pick-up here with any kind of criminal intent. Plus, as has previously been stated, it would take a very unusual story from a passer-by to make Jodi think catching a ride so close to home was necessary. From all angles, S Washington looks an unlikely scene.

2. Gauging the relevant distances in Street View, it also seems unlikely that anybody attempting to quietly slip out and follow Jodi from the house she’d been visiting could have caught up to a kid on a bike before she reached S Washington. Even if they set off almost simultaneously, they’d struggle on foot. It’s hardly any distance at all; even from the high-100 block we’re talking just 250ft or so.

3. Jodi never got to the gas station. Could it be that she changed her mind for some reason? The most likely scenario I can think of for this is that at some point on her way - say, waiting at the crossing by E 2nd, or maybe even earlier, while still cycling - she perhaps discovers/remembers that she has no money on her, and heads for home instead. I can only speak from memory here, but how many of you imagine a kid on a bike, with half an hour of her curfew left, would stop in her tracks, turn the bike around on the sidewalk and head back directly the way she came? I find it much more plausible that, if diverted from her gas station plan for any reason, she’d continue around the small block and ‘loop’ her way home.

If she did take this kind of decision while on S Washington, it thus seems plausible that she might head back north along E 2nd St, with a possible view to cutting east down either White Pigeon St or even Mill St to get back on to Centreville.

Moreover, there appears to be a footpath cut-through half way along on each block of E 2nd, running through to E 3rd, connecting the two streets between back yards. I can’t quite tell from Street View whether or not these run all the way through from E 2nd to 3rd without hitting private land, but they appear to - if so, might she have zipped down one of these rather than a traffic route, and thus have been shielded from the road for a time? The cut-through in the 200 block of E 2nd appears more open, exiting on to E 3rd between a bunch of church-type buildings, and would seem a decent option to a kid on a bike IMHO.

(Come to think of it, might someone Jodi mistook for a church man be the sort of authority figure she would stop for? Not speculating or insinuating anything, just thinking on the hoof - someone on here mentioned her being a church-goer.)

Finally, and off-topic regarding Jodi's route - I'm assuming there's still been no official COD released? If not, could suspected drowning be a reason LE wanted to wait for toxicology/autopsy, and yet immediately knew it was a homicide (ie. there's no water at the scene)?

More on that tomorrow. Thanks for entertaining me, and apologies if I'm way off on all this. Just a thinker, as I said. ;)

Oh good grief, sudden cringe reading last line back - of course I meant 'entertaining' as in 'putting up with', not...well...y'know, anything more flippant! Ugh, terrible choice of words. Sorry guys. *>_<* *blushblush*

All of your comments are very intereseting greykid.... :waitasec: I know we have some posters who are familiar with the area. I hope they read this thread and chime in.

Chief: Jodi Parrack case is 'solvable'

MSP will assign investigators soon to the case

Updated: Friday, 05 Nov 2010, 6:34 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 05 Nov 2010, 3:35 PM EDT

<snip>

24 Hour News 8 learned that at the first of next year, the Michigan State Police will assign two of their investigators to the case.

In the three years since Jodi, 11, died, hundreds of tips and dozens of DNA samples have yet to reveal a suspect in her murder.

Investigators have never released the cause of death because, they say, it's part of the investigation.
Not a day goes by that Bedell doesn't work on the case, he said. "I won't stop working this thing until it's solved. But I'm not going to make it a cold case."

Though he would not go into specific suspects, he told 24 Hour News 8 the majority of Jodi's family has been cleared. He said Jodi's mom and grandmother are "in my office every week just to see how the case is going."

The chief does not believe a stranger killed her, though.

"I may be wrong," he said, "but I think if it was a stranger driving through, we'd still be looking for her body."

more here

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/sw_mich/Jodi-Parracks-murder-still-unsolved

I think it was a local boy at the time. Some who knew her and did not have a car. My guess she walked with him in the graveyard. He assulted her, she refused and fought back and he killed her.

Just read the whole case. How sad that there is DNA and no matches. I, too, think it was likely another child or teen.... someone who they wouldn't think to request DNA from. Not an adult who has since moved out of town.

Thanks for the update and bump on this case. I'm not local at all, but I do have children the same age as this Jodi, and also live in a very rural town like she did. I'm only trying to offer a little insight as to how things work in this small town, maybe its similar to hers. Children come and go pretty freely here, yes, even kids her age are allowed to ride their bikes to their friends houses. We have one main "highway" through town, and the town proper is set up in a typpical block style grid. We live on the main "highway" ( not an interstae, just a two lane road, but it connects to other towns). Because I live in the center of town, directly across the street from the one school, I see most of the kids daily. They all know, as well as their parents, that we have an open door policy. Kids come and go in and out of our home after school, until about 5:30 when they know its time to get home for supper. On my front porch, I currently have 2 bikes that do not belong to my children, they are left here by friends, one has a flat, and one is just left here so that its owner can ride with my kids when they get home from school. Some parents text and ask if their kids are with me, but some do not. I do inform each parent when their chilld is visiting, but some dont think to ask. Its the way things are done here, the kids are basically allowed free reign until suppertime. I'm not saying its right, and my children are not allowed such freedom. I prefer to have their friends here, where I know my kids and all the kids are being looked ater.

As a side note, in our tiny little rural town of 1100, there was a similar rape and murder case in 2001. The victim was a young woman, Amanda Morton, age 19. The perp intentionally rearended her vehicle with his vehicle. He raped her and killed her, and hid her body in our local cemetary. I just thought how frighteningly similar.

reb, I was just thinking the same thing as I kept opening threads this a.m. titled "missing child found dead in cave...in cemetary...in park..." :( :(

Hug your children a lot and keep them close.

I know - this is incredibly sad. Maybe I spend too much time on this board, but I'm having an extremely difficult time giving my 13 year old any freedom. I panic, can't breathe, when he wants to go out with his friends on their bikes. Go to the rec room (across the street), walk to Walgreens. I just sit there and tap my fingers until he gets back. In San Diego (speaking of the John Gardner case) it only takes a second. My husband thinks it's all angels and snowflakes out there and doesn't understand :(

Bless,

Mel

I didn't know Jodi had a thread here. This is local to me and very close to home, as we camp near there, and kids we know were friends of hers. I'm so glad to see this being looked at harder. Our town is very much like Jodi's, what is considered a " safe " small rural town. I hope they find who did this to her, and I firmly believe it was someone who is a local, probably someone who knew her, who is still in the area.

I think it was a local boy at the time. Some who knew her and did not have a car. My guess she walked with him in the graveyard. He assulted her, she refused and fought back and he killed her.

ITA, a local teen, if he was able to hurt and kill a child, likely will do it again.
It helps the new Chief of police is determined now too.
It may take a wait until someone gets arrested on another crime and the dna is run through CODIS and matches. Until then, hopefully they catch him. This is a solvable crime, there has to be justice for Jodi!

From the linked article, Constantine Police Chief Jim Bedell is still strongly focused on solving this case. There is a cold-case squad that seems very committed to solving the case as well. Most promising in today's story was this line (BBM):

"Bedell said several hundred tips have been provided to the Constantine Police Department. He said no matter how far-fetched a lead may seem, he investigates every one brought to his attention. A credible tip was passed along within the past week, said Bedell, who declined to elaborate."

We have never heard about the COD for Jodi, but I think of her often and just can't believe this case can't be solved! It isn't that big of a community, and the crime happened in a narrow time period. I look forward to hearing about an arrest in this case.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/01/michigan_state_police_cold_cas.html

I'm so glad to see some movement here!!!

Salem

Did we discover whether or not anyone on this thread was a local? I have a question about the area in which the body was found, but it's unlikely anyone would be able to help unless they knew the area and its residents pretty well.

I'm so glad to see some movement here!!!

Salem

Me too. This is a case that has really stuck with me. I am always hoping some new info will come to light. Jodi deserves justice!

Interesting how the LE guy says - over time "relationships" change and someone who was not willing to talk, may be willing to talk now.

I hope someone talks and I hope justice comes for Jodi.

Salem

March 2012 -

&#8220;The cold case team has done a phenomenal job,&#8221; McDonough said. &#8220;They turned up new evidence that has led to new persons of interest.&#8221;

McDonough said new evidence has been sent to the Michigan State Police crime laboratory.

-----------------

McDonough said this is the No. 1 unsolved case, and is optimistic about progress.
&#8220;I&#8217;m very hopeful that this will be solved sooner than later,&#8221; he said.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/topstories/x132510887/New-leads-bring-hope-in-Parrack-case

I've always thought of Michaela Garecht when I think of this case. About the same age, look a lot alike.
I am aware one is Michigan and one is California. I just think of them together for some reason.

http://www.forthelost.org/mgarecht.html

Article

Since being formed almost two years ago to focus solely on the case, the four-man team has traveled to seven states and is now waiting for the results of forensic testing that they say may narrow the list of potential suspects in the 11-year-old’s slaying in November 2007.

The article also discusses the batches of forensic evidence that they still have left to test and the progress they are making. Jodi is certainly not forgotten!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back