MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize she had a bathroom of her own either.

:wagon: Springpeonies! :welcome:

Glad to have you on board!

:seeya:

Re: Julia having her own bathroom...

I think most, if not all, of the bedrooms at Peninsular Place have their own bathroom. It's like suite/dorm style living but you don't have to be a student to live there. Apartments are furnished and rented out by the bedroom, so if you don't team up with friends, you could very well end up sharing an apartment with someone you don't know. Bedrooms have an attached private bath and all occupants in a particular apartment share a living/kitchen area. Hope that clears things up!

Police: Eastern Michigan University student drowned, 'found in unnatural position'

23-year-old Julia Niswender was found dead Dec. 11 at Ypsilanti apartment

Published On: Apr 09 2013 08:56:19 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 10 2013 04:27:29 AM EDT

YPSILANTI, Mich. -
Julia Niswender was found dead in her bathtub in an unnatural position, say police and the 23-year-old Eastern Michigan University student's family members.

Niswender's bedroom at her Ypsilanti apartment was messed up with items missing, police say. It's the first time since she was found dead Dec. 11 that police have been willing to release any information...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...86320/-/format/rss_2.0/-/trxxanz/-/index.html

Wonder what "unnatural" means in this context? Unnatural position for someone having a bath, or unnatural full stop?

I guess they had to find out if she was drugged before being put in the bath and drowning.

Really hope LE do know a lot more than they're letting on.

Ok...I think the fact that Jennifer told the press that the Dept. of Homeland Security is involved is a HUGE deal. LE will not confirm that this is true. Annarbor.com wondered if Jennifer misspoke and meant FBI and double checked this with LE and the FBI. It was confirmed that the FBI is NOT involved. I think Jennifer gave an accurate statement...she wouldn't have made that up. So, what does this mean?? One of two things: Dept of Homeland Security gets involved for two different reasons. The first would be an act of domestic terrorism (which this does not seem to be the case). The second would be if a felony was committed by a non-US citizen. When a non-immigrant is in criminal custody, a bond will be set by the criminal court. However, if the non-immigrant is illegally in the United States, the Department of Homeland Security will place an immigration hold. That means, that the non-immigrant will remain in custody until his/her case finishes. Upon completion of the case, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will place the non-immigrant in custody and initiate deportation proceedings. As for non-immigrants who are lawfully in the United States, such as a person with a green card who has been convicted of an Aggravated Felony (Murder) or a crime involving Moral Turpitude, ICE will place that person in custody upon completion of their sentence and then initiate deportation proceedings. I think that this is a huge slip. Any thoughts?

Is it possible that her family is unwilling to accept that her death was anything but a homicide?

I realize that this won’t be a popular opinion, but I’ve wondered from the beginning whether or not this was actually a homicide. Drowned in a bathtub with no marks on her body, door is locked, no forced entry via door or window. The room was in disarray – not unusual for a college student. Items were missing – which ones? If I died tomorrow, my family would have a hard time figuring out what should and shouldn’t be present, besides the obvious like ID or cell phone (which could have been accidentally lost prior to the death).

If someone tried to drown me in a tub, my head or neck would surely be bruised from fighting.

Why were the toxicology reports inconclusive? Could she have been under the influence of something and had an accident?

I am probably wrong. I am sorry if I've offended anyone.

Police are the ones who are calling this a homicide.
So what does it have to do with her family?

I really hope that more information becomes available...I think we all know who our first suspects would be...if the police have polygraphed 100 people (that is AWESOME and I hope other jurisdictions take this to heart, because that costs money) and all of them passed, well those people would by all means be on that list. I'm seriously (probably overly) concerned about the twitter post she made about what she won from the complex. There's a picture there with those things all nice in the box. I'm sure they must be able to trace those types of things. I stopped and looked at those items while shopping at Xmas, and since then and I was shocked at the price. Some people have no value for human life...it just kills me that Julia, like so many others had her life posted online for anyone to see.

The world misses and will continue to miss Julia. Someone knows something...grow a pair and come forward.

Always, MOO

Annarbor.com "A day after police confirmed that Eastern Michigan University student Julia Niswender was drowned in the bathtub in her apartment in December, few new details emerged in the investigation Wednesday.

U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman Khaalid Walls Wednesday confirmed Niswender family statements that Homeland Security Investigations is assisting in the case.

Also, Julia Niswender's sister confirmed reports that police said her body was found in "an unnatural position" in the bathtub in her apartment, leading investigators to believe she was not taking a bath when she died. Jennifer Niswender, Julia's twin sister, declined to say whether her sister was found clothed in the bathtub." ... So by the circumstantial evidence they have determined to the best of their knowledge that Julia was not intending to take a bath!! This is insane. Well, there is your pre-meditation!

'ICE is participating in the investigation at the request of Ypsilanti police, Walls said. "Homeland Security Investigations or HSI is supporting the investigation with computer and digital forensic expertise through our cyber investigations unit," he said' ...interesting. So, they are doing what we are doing. I hope they know more than we do!! :(

Interesting...HSI website says that they,"The ICE Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) directorate is a critical asset in the ICE mission, responsible for investigating a wide range of domestic and international activities arising from the illegal movement of people and goods into, within and out of the United States.
HSI investigates immigration crime, human rights violations and human smuggling, smuggling of narcotics, weapons and other types of contraband, financial crimes, cybercrime and export enforcement issues. ICE special agents conduct investigations aimed at protecting critical infrastructure industries that are vulnerable to sabotage, attack or exploitation." ...

Wow, so it looks like she wasn't taking a bath at the time. So the killer had to have brought something with him to get her to not run away/scream out. It's so hard for me to imagine the killer either pointing a gun at her or tying her up while he fills the bath with water but I guess that is what happened. And I bet you that of those 9 murders a year (out of 13,000) that involve drowning, the victim was either in the tub when the killer entered or was near water like on a boat. It just seems so odd to me to actually plan to drown someone unless you are hoping to make it look like an accident; Julia being in her clothes makes it obvious it wasn't an accident. Why that method of murder?

I am going to do some research to see if I can find articles about the very few drowning murders every year to see what the circumstances were.

I also just realized that the statistics for drowning would also include children who are drowned by their parents, making the number of adults who are murdered due to drowning even more rarer.

When I read "unnatural position" I immediately thought "posed".

For the life of me, I cannot imagine what they found that would trigger ICE to be involved.

When I read "unnatural position" I immediately thought "posed".

For the life of me, I cannot imagine what they found that would trigger ICE to be involved.

I immediately suspected that Julia was clothed and found face down and under water in the tub. Depending on how tall Julia was, she probably would not have been able to lie down in the tub whether on her back or stomach, so I'm picturing legs folded/bent at the knees behind her if she was face down, or feet/legs on the edge of the tub if she was lying on her back.

There's no reason to believe that Julia would have taken her own life. I hope that there will eventually be an arrest and charges filed in this case that is more than likely a homicide. It's been four months since Julia's untimely death, and her family has been kept in limbo with limited details. I am glad that the family is speaking out. :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV