MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or something related to a s-l-o-w chase?

Lol. Yes, the Simpson broncho chase. Didn't think I was being that obtuse.
; )

The police who arrested JT for child *advertiser censored* are not the same department investigating the murder of Julia.
The two cases are completely separate.

Arrest for child *advertiser censored* was by the Monroe County Sheriffs.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...sted-for-child-*advertiser censored*/31598374

Homicide investigation of Julia's dath is being conducted by Ypsilanti Police Department.

Eastern Michigan University has a list of media coverage that help to keep track of what is happening with the homicide investigation:
www.emich.edu/investigation/media.php

These are two departments but they are coordinated. For example, the incriminating evidence in the arrest by the Monroe county Sheriffs, was provided by Ypsi PD.
I think the Ypsi Police may have asked the Monroe Police to have access to JT to question him.

I wonder why JT was arrested for the *advertiser censored* Charges because there does not seem enough evidence (for now at least) for conviction. I think they did not necessarily
intend to arrest him. First of all, once the Ypsi police found images that possibly could be child *advertiser censored* they couldn't ignore it. If it later would turn out that JT is indeed
a pedophile collecting child *advertiser censored*, it would make the Ypsi police look really bad. So they had to give the evidence it to the Monroe police. Now the Monroe of course
had to investigate it, so I think the search was warranted. However, under normal circumstances, JT would not have been arrested. (I think they had a search
warrant but probably not an arrest warrant.) Perhaps JT's erratic behavior expediated the arrest for the child *advertiser censored*. But possibly, the Ypsi police may have
pushed for this arrest as well to give them a change for interrogation and to put pressure on JT.

It has been his choice, to go to press for over two years and his choice to not cooperate with LE about his timeline or the child *advertiser censored* questions that hung over him before Julia was killed.

It seems to me that JT has cooperated reasonably. I think "full cooperation" probably means confession. And he may not be willing to "cooperate fully" in that sense because he may be innocent.
After 2 years, it is probably difficult to recall any new details that have not been discussed in earlier interviews.

Wonder what was going on behind the scenes... were they hoping he would breakdown and confess... were they just so ticked off about his not co-operating way back....
wonder how they figured he had the pictures he had - was he setup somehow... strange case...
I believe the asked for JT's computer, but it is not clear what they were expecting to find. Were they looking for information related to Julia's murder? Did someone tip them off that there would
be incriminating information on the computer, or child *advertiser censored*? I wouldn't rule out a setup. Since it is a laptop computer, he probably would be carrying it around and a lot of people could have had
access to it. Someone could have put those images on the hard drive. I can see several possibilities:
1. The images appeared on the hard-drive accidentally. Perhaps by visiting a website with child *advertiser censored*, accidentally or deliberately. In that case, the pictures would be in the browser cache. There probably
would be no conviction of possession of child *advertiser censored*. The cache could also have been deleted, but retrieved by forensic science.
2. The images were deliberately saved to the hard disk. In that case there could be a conviction of possession. If the images were deleted, this might point to a deliberate removal of evidence.
(Still if there are only 7 images I doubt if there will be a conviction.) If the images weren't deleted then one must question why JT would hand in a computer to LE with child *advertiser censored* on it. THis might
point to a setup.

Of course, if the minors in the images are people he knows, then it had to be deliberate.

Finally, if LE cannot prove the people in the images are minors, there would also not be a conviction.

These are two departments but they are coordinated. For example, the incriminating evidence in the arrest by the Monroe county Sheriffs, was provided by Ypsi PD.
I think the Ypsi Police may have asked the Monroe Police to have access to JT to question him.

I wonder why JT was arrested for the *advertiser censored* Charges because there does not seem enough evidence (for now at least) for conviction. I think they did not necessarily
intend to arrest him
. First of all, once the Ypsi police found images that possibly could be child *advertiser censored* they couldn't ignore it. If it later would turn out that JT is indeed
a pedophile collecting child *advertiser censored*, it would make the Ypsi police look really bad. So they had to give the evidence it to the Monroe police. Now the Monroe of course
had to investigate it, so I think the search was warranted. However, under normal circumstances, JT would not have been arrested. (I think they had a search
warrant but probably not an arrest warrant.) Perhaps JT's erratic behavior expediated the arrest for the child *advertiser censored*. But possibly, the Ypsi police may have
pushed for this arrest as well to give them a change for interrogation and to put pressure on JT.

It seems to me that JT has cooperated reasonably. I think "full cooperation" probably means confession. And he may not be willing to "cooperate fully" in that sense because he may be innocent.
After 2 years, it is probably difficult to recall any new details that have not been discussed in earlier interviews.

All BBM
Do you have a link to the information for the "incriminating evidence" having been provided by Ypsi police? I have not seen that anywhere.

I agree that his combative behavior is probably what got him arrested.

I do not think full cooperation meant a confession, but to speak with them and say where he was during the day's surrounding Julia's death. Why do you think he is not forthcoming with LE on that? If innocent, why not give as much detail as possible that might clear a person? If it were my child, I think (and cannot know for certain) that I would answer every question, even if it made no sense to me at the time. It is common for a homicide investigation to start with family, clear them completely, and keep moving outward to others.

...We also had no luck finding anyone at the home where Turnquist told the court he now stays with friends. Family members of the EMU student tell police they had their suspicions of Turnquist as well. That's just another reason police say he's now a person of interest for homicide...

http://www.fox4news.com/story/28261...n-of-interest-after-murder-of-julia-niswender

I am not surprised that they had no luck finding him there because he is IN JAIL! The reporting of Fox4News (and some other news agencies) is quite bad.
They also report that Julia was strangled to death, which contradicts the autopsy report.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...of-interest?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

I am not surprised that they had no luck finding him there because he is IN JAIL! The reporting of Fox4News (and some other news agencies) is quite bad.
They also report that Julia was strangled to death, which contradicts the autopsy report.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...of-interest?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

Reporters went to the home for a follow up on the story, seeking to talk to anyone at the home. They knew JT would not be there. My question is why was he already living apart from his family at tha t time. Was there already a family rift of some sort? That is, if the report is true that this was where he actually was staying, which is what HE told the court.

I don't recall ever reading that she was strangled. I thoughts all reports have said asphyxiation and/or drowning, with no marks?

ETA: You are right. This article from March 5 did say strangled.

The 23-year-old was found in her bathtub strangled to death.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28275058/attorney-stepfather-of-murdered-emu-student-should-not-be-person-of-interest?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

All BBM
Do you have a link to the information for the "incriminating evidence" having been provided by Ypsi police? I have not seen that anywhere.

I agree that his combative behavior is probably what got him arrested.

I do not think full cooperation meant a confession, but to speak with them and say where he was during the day's surrounding Julia's death. Why do you think he is not forthcoming with LE on that? If innocent, why not give as much detail as possible that might clear a person? If it were my child, I think (and cannot know for certain) that I would answer every question, even if it made no sense to me at the time. It is common for a homicide investigation to start with family, clear them completely, and keep moving outward to others.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...r-family-divided-emu-students-death/70183350/

A statement released by Ypsilanti police last week said James Turnquist has not "provided detectives with a formal statement as to his whereabouts the days prior to Julia's death."

Lt. Deric Gress did not answer any questions about this investigation when asked by the Free Press this week.

"Sorry, I (we) won't be giving interviews," he said in an e-mail. "And will provide updates as warranted."

James Turnquist's attorney and some family members say he has cooperated with the investigation, voluntarily turned over a computer in December 2014 and submitted to a polygraph test at the request of police in early 2013.

"Jim was extremely cooperative with the police for two years and has given them everything they needed," attorney Stablein said.

Stablein said he represented Turnquist when he first took the polygraph in 2013 and got involved again after police failed to return the computer in January.

The attorney called police about the computer and a detective told him she wanted Turnquist to give another statement. Her tone, Stablein said, made him think there was more to it.

Turnquist hasn't given any statements since.

It seems that the computer (with the images) was handed over to Ypsilanti police in relation to the investigation of Julia's death.
The article also explains that JT cooperated in the beginning, and why he is no longer doing so.

http://godoymedical.net/physical-signssymptoms-strangulation/

Can You Strangle Someone and not Leave a Mark?

There may be absolutely no outward physical sign of the strangulation.Approximately 50% of documented cases exhibit no visible injury. An additional 35% have injuries that are too minor to photograph. (Training Institute on Strangulation Prevention, 2014) Therefore the absence of physical signs of strangulation does not exclude the event. This often means that the medical care is delivered and the legal case is built, solely on the subjective symptoms of the victim. When there are physical signs of strangulation, they are commonly non-specific and may be caused by a number of conditions or other trauma.

Asphyxia is the most common serious bodily injury in a strangulation case

Reporters went to the home for a follow up on the story, seeking to talk to anyone at the home. They knew JT would not be there. My question is why was he already living apart from his family at tha t time. Was there already a family rift of some sort? That is, if the report is true that this was where he actually was staying, which is what HE told the court.
If he would be bailed out of jail, he would not be allowed to go to his own home. He is not supposed to be in contact to children under 16, including his daughter who lives at home.
I suppose that is why he gave a different place where he would be living. But with a $100,000 bail, he will probably stay in jail.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...r-family-divided-emu-students-death/70183350/

It seems that the computer (with the images) was handed over to Ypsilanti police in relation to the investigation of Julia's death.
The article also explains that JT cooperated in the beginning, and why he is no longer doing so.

I don't follow your statement then... did Ypsi police give the incriminating evidence for arrest to Monroe Sheriff's? Or are you assuming that?

I can totally understand why he would lawyer up and not talk now. But why in the past two years would he not explain his whereabouts in the days (plural) surrounding Julia's death?

If he would be bailed out of jail, he would not be allowed to go to his own home. He is not supposed to be in contact to children under 16, including his daughter who lives at home.
I suppose that is why he gave a different place where he would be living. But with a $100,000 bail, he will probably stay in jail.

True. I may have misunderstood, thinking he had already been living away from the family home. Not clear on that detail yet.

Thanks for all your help tonight. Even though we may disagree on some aspects and agree on others, I prefer to understand where you (or others) are coming from. Much appreciated the chats tonight.

Just wanted to add that LE will be investigating what was downloaded, sent from, and removed from Turnquist's hard drive and associated with his IP address. The images currently on his hard drive are only one small fragment of the bigger review. If he is a pedophile, he has probably been making money off the content. His finances and any online accounts, including bitcoin, should help put that puzzle together.
It's a complicated process, but any competent computer/network forensics expert should be able to piece it together nicely.
Criminals, in general, are dumb as a box of hair. Anything you do online is a record for eternity. Erasing your hard drive is a joke. Using strongmail, or any of those "secure" transmissions are a joke. Easily hacked, and reconstructed.

Are you suggesting that JT lied to the Judge when asked about his current living arrangements?

Fox News is not my go-to media, but you asked for a source, and that's the article that I found in print form. I watch Channel 4 news several times daily and visit their website frequently. I also read The Detroit News and listen to WWJ radio. Sometimes, I will see or hear news that does not necessarily appear in article form. I watched the JT bond hearing last week and heard him tell the Judge that he had been living with friends.

Are you suggesting that JT lied to the Judge when asked about his current living arrangements?

Fox News is not my go-to media, but you asked for a source, and that's the article that I found in print form. I watch Channel 4 news several times daily and visit their website frequently. I also read The Detroit News and listen to WWJ radio. Sometimes, I will see or hear news that does not necessarily appear in article form. I watched the JT bond hearing last week and heard him tell the Judge that he had been living with friends.

BBM
Thank you, BDE. That is what I remembered hearing him say. Wish that I could find a replay of that hearing. "had been living with friends" implies before being arrested.

[/B]
BBM
Thank you, BDE. That is what I remembered hearing him say. Wish that I could find a replay of that hearing. "had been living with friends" implies before being arrested.

i did not see the hearing so I do not know what exactly was said.

Prelim hearing is tomorrow (Tuesday, March 17) at 1:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member