MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
hocketmom4 - Both Julia and Jennifer called him dad. Neither one met their biological dad as their dad but may have met him when they were younger. He died before Julia even knew about him and Jennifer knows about him as she has met his sister within the last year or so. I'm not real sure about the biological dad's life before he died. I do know he had a family and possibly some children from that marriage. All of this is not really relevant to Julia's murder so I won't be adding to this in the future. Not wanting to offend you but my ultimate goal is finding the truth and Justice for Julia. I have worn a bracelet that says Justice for Julia constantly ever since I got it over 2 years ago. I move it from my right wrist to my left wrist when I bowl, other than that, I've worn it 24/7 !

Thanks. I appreciate you answering. This is very helpful to me. Justice for Julia is what we on WS want as well. I know on other cases VI often share wonderful stories about their loved one. I would love some time for you to share something beautiful about her we may not know, so we can keep her memory alive. If not, no worries. It is understandable. She is very lucky to have someone like you in her life then and now.

Trojan1966, I am so very sorry for your loss and for what you are having to endure.

rosefromangels - There have been some accusations concerning JT's interaction with Julia in an unapproprited manner. I do not personally have any direct knowledge of this.
As far as a suspect in Julia's passing, I'm not real sure about that. It could be true and hopefully time will tell. I do know that he did lawyer up about 5 days after they found Julia.

Wow, he lawyered up 5 days after Julia was found. Do you know what caused him to do that? Was there something LE did? Also, can you share some insight on the lie detector tests?

@Trojan1966
I am sorry for your the loss of Julia. The tragedies that your family has faced are almost unimaginable. I wish you strength in these difficult times.
We hope to be able to help in any way to solve this terrible crime.

Wow, he lawyered up 5 days after Julia was found. Do you know what caused him to do that? Was there something LE did? Also, can you share some insight on the lie detector tests?

Trojan1966,

Thank you for answering my direct questions and for being here. We want so much to help move this case along, but we certainly don't want you to share any "insider" details that could ultimately create a problem for the prosecution should this go to trial. So we understand if you can't share certain details with us.

I'm glad you are here with us. We will do research for you, we will share our ideas and what we deduce, and we will support and love you. This is tough stuff. Many of us have lost a loved one in a similar manner, and we understand the depth of the pain. And, we have gone on refusing to let evil triumph. I guess that is part of the reason we are here, trying to help. God Bless!

Not sure why he lawyer-ed up so early in the investigation. My daughter (his wife) has said that he felt LE was trying to "pin this murder on him". From what I've heard, early on, he took two lie detector tests which may have been inconclusive. Early on in the investigation, he did provide a DNA sample and was fingerprinted. Evidently, as of right now, he has not given LE a formal statement concerning his whereabouts around the suspected time of the murder. His wife and daughter have said on press interviews that he was home but neither of them has provided a formal statement to LE either, dispite LE's many requests. Right now, the statements would have to be made voluntarily. Why this has not happened is beyond me and my reasoning!

Not sure why he lawyer-ed up so early in the investigation. My daughter (his wife) has said that he felt LE was trying to "pin this murder on him". From what I've heard, early on, he took two lie detector tests which may have been inconclusive. Early on in the investigation, he did provide a DNA sample and was fingerprinted. Evidently, as of right now, he has not given LE a formal statement concerning his whereabouts around the suspected time of the murder. His wife and daughter have said on press interviews that he was home but neither of them has provided a formal statement to LE either, dispite LE's many requests. Right now, the statements would have to be made voluntarily. Why this has not happened is beyond me and my reasoning!

Thank you, sir, so very much, for being here and for sharing information. You have my deepest regrets and sympathy for the loss of your beautiful, smart, brave and loving grand-daughter, in such extremely cruel and untimely circumstances. You seem very brave to me to be doing this. May Julia have complete justice in the times ahead and her will for truth shine serene, above all.

Please don't feel compelled to answer this, if it impedes LE's work in any way. Would you happen to know if he was under LE suspicion prior to Julia being found in her bath tab? And if so, for what?

Thank you, sir, so very much, for being here and for sharing information. You have my deepest regrets and sympathy for the loss of your beautiful, smart, brave and loving grand-daughter, in such extremely cruel and untimely circumstances. You seem very brave to me to be doing this. May Julia have complete justice in the times ahead and her will for truth shine serene, above all.

Please don't feel compelled to answer this, if it impedes LE's work in any way. Would you happen to know if he was under LE suspicion prior to Julia being found in her bath tab? And if so, for what?

No, he was not under suspicion for anything that I know of.

It’s extremely difficult to express my feelings as a grandparent; to describe what loosing Julia has meant to me. She was a twin and her sister, Jennifer, misses her each and every waking hour. From the day they were born until they were 10 years old, I raised them as if they were my daughters. I went through all the stages of their growing up from immediately after their birth (both were born at home!) to visiting them almost every day that they were in the St. Vincent Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Yes, I changed diapers, saw her take her first steps and heard her first words; I was there every step of the way so to speak.
Julia was a twin, but from the very beginning, everyone knew that she was a very different girl with her own personality compared to her sister. Julia was always very friendly and outgoing. She was also the one as a child that would talk Jennifer in to doing something that they would eventually get in “trouble” for. As an example, they were probably three or four when I believe Julia talked Jennifer into coloring with crayons on their bedroom wall but doing this under their bed so we would not see it. They had a trundle bed that was positioned in the corner of their room and was seldom moved. That worked fine until her mom and I went into their room one day to move their bed away from the wall and we saw it! As a youngster, Julia loved to talk and wasn’t afraid to say anything to anyone. At times she would try to be the “bossy” one of the twins and Jennifer would usually listen. There were some occasions where Jennifer would try to resist but seldom would she succeed. My favorite phrase for the girls was “Here comes double trouble!” They were so close in their relationship that if something happened to one of them, the other seemed to know something was wrong.
Julia and Jennifer grew up and became remarkable young ladies. Julia always had a “harder” time with school and studies but she learned how to apply herself and get things done. She went to the Monroe County Community College then transferred to Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Here at EMU she was doing excellent and had very good grades. She was constantly talking about her future career after she would be awarded her degree. Julia was a junior, majoring in communication, media and theatre arts at EMU. She pictured herself on television as a news personality – the one that’s always on camera! She would joke with her sister, Jennifer, who has a Journalism degree from EMU that she could write the news stories and Julia would be the one to present them on camera!
We, my second wife Linda and I, had moved to Florida in May of 2001. We had never been back to Michigan for Christmas time but in November of 2012, we decided that we would leave Florida and spend Christmas time with my family in Michigan. Julia was extremely excited to hear this news. She would tell all her friends if they wanted to meet her grandpa, they better be around when we were in Michigan. Julia really had a deep love for me and really put me up on a pedestal so to speak. When we would talk on the phone she would eventually say a phrase that I miss so much each and every day – “Oh grandpa!” She would usually say this if I said something or did something that really amused her.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 began as any other day. I went to work and this is the one night that I bowled in a league. I did not bowl well as I just could not concentrate for some reason. I got home about 9:15PM and soon after that, I got a call from my daughter, Kim (Julia’s mother). She said that people were becoming very concerned as no one had seen Julia or talked to her in almost two days. She said a friend was driving her and Jennifer to Ypsilanti to check on Julia. It’s about an hour drive to get there and she would call me later. My wife and I became very concerned and spent the next hour wondering about what could be wrong…… We never anticipated the next call we would get. Kim called but just could not talk and her husband, Jim, told us that Julia was “gone”! He said the police believe she had been murdered. I became very distraught and to say the least very upset. I immediately began uncontrollable crying and needed all the comfort my wife could give me. Later, my daughter called and basically said that “dad, you need to get home”. My wife and I had already decided that we had to get to Michigan ASAP so we could be with my family. We spent the rest of the night packing and making airline and rental car arrangements plus booking a room at a motel. We were up all night and left early the next morning from Tampa to Detroit. This was a flight that I’ll never forget, knowing I was going home to find one of my granddaughters had been murdered for no apparent reason, at least nothing that seems to make any sense.
Since Julia’s murder, there has been an on-going investigation. Many police and national agencies have been involved trying to solve this case as well as analyzing items in their forensics labs. All in all, after talking to the Ypsilanti police, the effort continues today almost 2 years after the crime. Yes with such a seemingly slow process, the family is frustrated to say the least. We have lots of questions in our minds that we would like to have answered but in reality we may never get those answers. This investigation has seemed to be “slow” but, all I want is to make sure the person or persons are arrested and go to court for their due process and their appropriate punishment. No matter how many years of prison (hopefully without a chance of parole) the sentence is; it won’t bring our Julia back. We have lost her constant smile, her outgoing personality and her ever loving way for the rest of our lives. I constantly find myself having what I call “Julia moments” where something will trigger a memory of her or something she had done which causes me to have some uncontrollable crying. I’m sure I’ll have these the rest of my life as I also experience these from the loss of my son, Jeff, which was in 2004. I pray each and every night that Julia’s case will be solved and justice will be done. I hope when this happens, we (the family) will get the “answers” to all our questions concerning why this happened. Until that day, all we can really do is pray for answers and allow justice to be done. We - as a family must not lose hope and continue to believe that justice will prevail – no matter how long it takes.

Jim Niswender
October 24, 2014

Comments:I've provided this to give a little "life" to Julia so everyone will have a feeling of what a great young lady she was....

Thank you. Do you happen to know what his life was like a bit, prior to meeting Kim?

That's a great question but unfortunately I have very little firsthand knowledge of his childhood or his life before he met my daughter. I do know that it is being investigated thoroughly by LE and they have uncovered some very disturbing things but I can not currently talk about them on this site. Let's just say his childhood was very unusual as his parents divorced in the 70s and the mother was given custody of both him and his sister (very common back then). This is about all I can say at this time. When he met my daughter, both worked at Meijers and he was going through a divorce at that time.

It’s extremely difficult to express my feelings as a grandparent; to describe what loosing Julia has meant to me. She was a twin and her sister, Jennifer, misses her each and every waking hour. From the day they were born until they were 10 years old, I raised them as if they were my daughters. I went through all the stages of their growing up from immediately after their birth (both were born at home!) to visiting them almost every day that they were in the St. Vincent Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Yes, I changed diapers, saw her take her first steps and heard her first words; I was there every step of the way so to speak.
Julia was a twin, but from the very beginning, everyone knew that she was a very different girl with her own personality compared to her sister. Julia was always very friendly and outgoing. She was also the one as a child that would talk Jennifer in to doing something that they would eventually get in “trouble” for. As an example, they were probably three or four when I believe Julia talked Jennifer into coloring with crayons on their bedroom wall but doing this under their bed so we would not see it. They had a trundle bed that was positioned in the corner of their room and was seldom moved. That worked fine until her mom and I went into their room one day to move their bed away from the wall and we saw it! As a youngster, Julia loved to talk and wasn’t afraid to say anything to anyone. At times she would try to be the “bossy” one of the twins and Jennifer would usually listen. There were some occasions where Jennifer would try to resist but seldom would she succeed. My favorite phrase for the girls was “Here comes double trouble!” They were so close in their relationship that if something happened to one of them, the other seemed to know something was wrong.
Julia and Jennifer grew up and became remarkable young ladies. Julia always had a “harder” time with school and studies but she learned how to apply herself and get things done. She went to the Monroe County Community College then transferred to Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Here at EMU she was doing excellent and had very good grades. She was constantly talking about her future career after she would be awarded her degree. Julia was a junior, majoring in communication, media and theatre arts at EMU. She pictured herself on television as a news personality – the one that’s always on camera! She would joke with her sister, Jennifer, who has a Journalism degree from EMU that she could write the news stories and Julia would be the one to present them on camera!
We, my second wife Linda and I, had moved to Florida in May of 2001. We had never been back to Michigan for Christmas time but in November of 2012, we decided that we would leave Florida and spend Christmas time with my family in Michigan. Julia was extremely excited to hear this news. She would tell all her friends if they wanted to meet her grandpa, they better be around when we were in Michigan. Julia really had a deep love for me and really put me up on a pedestal so to speak. When we would talk on the phone she would eventually say a phrase that I miss so much each and every day – “Oh grandpa!” She would usually say this if I said something or did something that really amused her.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 began as any other day. I went to work and this is the one night that I bowled in a league. I did not bowl well as I just could not concentrate for some reason. I got home about 9:15PM and soon after that, I got a call from my daughter, Kim (Julia’s mother). She said that people were becoming very concerned as no one had seen Julia or talked to her in almost two days. She said a friend was driving her and Jennifer to Ypsilanti to check on Julia. It’s about an hour drive to get there and she would call me later. My wife and I became very concerned and spent the next hour wondering about what could be wrong…… We never anticipated the next call we would get. Kim called but just could not talk and her husband, Jim, told us that Julia was “gone”! He said the police believe she had been murdered. I became very distraught and to say the least very upset. I immediately began uncontrollable crying and needed all the comfort my wife could give me. Later, my daughter called and basically said that “dad, you need to get home”. My wife and I had already decided that we had to get to Michigan ASAP so we could be with my family. We spent the rest of the night packing and making airline and rental car arrangements plus booking a room at a motel. We were up all night and left early the next morning from Tampa to Detroit. This was a flight that I’ll never forget, knowing I was going home to find one of my granddaughters had been murdered for no apparent reason, at least nothing that seems to make any sense.
Since Julia’s murder, there has been an on-going investigation. Many police and national agencies have been involved trying to solve this case as well as analyzing items in their forensics labs. All in all, after talking to the Ypsilanti police, the effort continues today almost 2 years after the crime. Yes with such a seemingly slow process, the family is frustrated to say the least. We have lots of questions in our minds that we would like to have answered but in reality we may never get those answers. This investigation has seemed to be “slow” but, all I want is to make sure the person or persons are arrested and go to court for their due process and their appropriate punishment. No matter how many years of prison (hopefully without a chance of parole) the sentence is; it won’t bring our Julia back. We have lost her constant smile, her outgoing personality and her ever loving way for the rest of our lives. I constantly find myself having what I call “Julia moments” where something will trigger a memory of her or something she had done which causes me to have some uncontrollable crying. I’m sure I’ll have these the rest of my life as I also experience these from the loss of my son, Jeff, which was in 2004. I pray each and every night that Julia’s case will be solved and justice will be done. I hope when this happens, we (the family) will get the “answers” to all our questions concerning why this happened. Until that day, all we can really do is pray for answers and allow justice to be done. We - as a family must not lose hope and continue to believe that justice will prevail – no matter how long it takes.

Jim Niswender
October 24, 2014

Comments:I've provided this to give a little "life" to Julia so everyone will have a feeling of what a great young lady she was....

Thank you, sir, for this information and for telling us about your Julia. To lose a son and and a grand-daughter, and then to have to wait for justice for her, seems unbearable and yet you do. I'm so sorry for your very tragic losses. You must be very strong of will and heart.

Your description of her does bring her personality to life for me, so much more so than before, as well as some about your character in raising the twins from infancy. Words fail me beyond this, sir. Thank you for sharing your words and may they echo into the recess that have answers.

Mr. Niswender, thank you so much for sharing a glimpse of who Julia was in life, and her relationships with you and her twin sister. It lends an important dimension that is often missing from these threads. Julia sounds like a delightful kid. How proud you must have been of the young woman she had become.

You have my deepest, heartfelt sympathy, and great admiration for your courage. Thank you for being here.

Bessie

I am glad you shared a bit about the girls growing up with you and gave us a closer feel for Julia's personality. Your insights are invaluable here.

Thank you so much Trojan1966, Julia's personality sounds amazing. Thank you for being here with us.

Just to be clear...
You say that the lie detectors may have been inconclusive. As far as I know, the lawyer stated that JT passed both lie detector tests, and Jennifer and Kimberly have made
similar statements I believe. I saw one post on facebook by someone in the extended family that claimed that one of the tests was inconclusive. Do you know where that information comes from?
So far, I do not think that law enforcement has made any statement about the lie detector tests. Only few people would have first-hand information about the lie detector, probably JT himself, his lawyer,
and law enforcement. Did LE make any statements about this privately, to you or other family members?

You also stated that JT has not made a formal statement about his whereabouts around the suspected time of the murder. The public statement of the police said that he did not made
any formal statements about the days prior to the murder. I think this means that he probably did make a statement about the day/night of the murder. Also, JT's lawyer
said that he has made also statements about the days prior. I think this means that he made informal statements, but did not go on the record concerning the days before the murder.

There was a case here sometime in the last year I think, where a poi claimed in interviews that they passed a lie detector test. They were later arrested and it came out that they actually didn't pass the lie detector test. I can't remember if it was inconclusive or an outright fail.

Does anyone know what case I am thinking of? I remember wondering why the police didn't contradict the person's claims to have passed. Are police allowed to release lie detector test results?

Googling Julia, there was a link to her Twitter account which is still available. There was a post on November 26, 2012 which reads, "Trust No One" in a very large font. Wonder if LE has followed up on this?

@trojan1966

timeline:
The precise timeline of the day/night of the murder is not yet completely clear to me. Do you have more details? Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I have
understood so far is that Julia left her work around 5pm, then she talked with Jennifer on the phone and later texted. Do you know what time she spoke
with Jennifer, and what time she texted? Do we know whether Julia went home directly? Did she eat dinner at home or somewhere else?

crime scene: What was the "unnatural" position that Julia was found in? Did her bed look like it had been used? How was the room in disarray?
Like someone had been looking for something?

Any more details that you can or are allowed to give would be welcome. Were you told by LE not to disclose certain details? (In that case, of course, you shouldn't.)
The crime scene seems so unusual that it should give some information about the identity and the motive of the murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skelyatr